Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,801,994 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:37 AM

Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! (14481 Views)

Executive Stalemate: Nigeria’s New Regime Grounded In Confusion (PICTURE) / Five PDP Governors Will Join APC – Oyegun / Ukrainian Cargo Plane Grounded In Kano For Carrying Military Hardware (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by wales(m): 12:19am On Nov 05, 2013
Nigerian aviation authorities in Abuja today briefly grounded a private jet that was supposed to ferry some governors and politicians belonging to the break-away faction of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to Lagos en route Abeokuta. SaharaReporters learnt that the members of the new PDP were about to fly to Lagos on their way to a meeting with former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

A spokesman for the new PDP told SaharaReporters that the temporary grounding of the jet was “part of the Jonathan administration’s desperate war against us.” He added, “We will not be deterred in our struggle to enthrone true democracy within the PDP.”

The source added that this was not the first time the Ministry of Aviation was being used to ground a jet used by opposition figures within the party, citing the withdrawal of the flying privileges of a jet owned by Rivers State government.

When SaharaReporters made inquiries about the reasons for today’s brief grounding, two Nigerian aviation officials gave conflicting responses. The Aviation Ministry’s General Manager, Yakubu Datti, told SaharaReporters over the phone that the ministry was not involved at all in any delay of the flight. He claimed that the problem arose purely from a disagreement between the jet owners and the politicians, insisting that the issue had nothing to do with the aviation authorities.

However, Joe Obi, the spokesperson for embattled Aviation Minister Stella Oduah, offered a different account in an email to SaharaReporters. His email stated that the jet was briefly stopped from taking off in order to ascertain the pilot’s flight plans and to make other routine checks in accordance with aviation practices all over the world. He emphasized that the plane had since been cleared to fly.

Today’s brief grounding came on the heels of yesterday’s disruption of a meeting of the new PDP by a police team led by a plain-clothed Divisional Police Officer in charge of the Asokoro police station. The DPO laid siege on the Kano State Government Lodge in Abuja, the venue of the meeting by five governors who have rejected the PDP faction led by Bamanga Tukur. When the five governors and other participants at the meeting resisted the order to shut down their meeting, the DPO called for police back-up. However, a source at the meeting told SaharaReporters that they tricked the police into believing the meeting had just started when in fact it was ending.

SaharaReporters learnt that the Lagos-bound dissident governors were visiting Mr. Obasanjo to confer with him on a number of political issues. Former President Obasanjo has been estranged from President Goodluck Jonathan, and is believed to be advocating for the election of a president from the northern section of Nigeria in the 2015 presidential election.

Link: http://saharareporters.com/news-page/dissident-pdp-governors’-jet-grounded-abuja-aviation-ministry-says-it-was-routine-check

1 Like

Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by MaJBlige(f): 6:36am On Nov 05, 2013
usual lies.
Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by gerald09(m): 9:36am On Nov 05, 2013
WTF! really! Can't believe saharareporter will go dis low. I now understand.

1 Like

Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by Christianos: 12:09pm On Nov 05, 2013
This is one of the absurdities that we have come to accept as normal in Nigeria. I see no reason why elected Governors will shuttle across the country's airspace on selfish political campaigns, abandoning their primary responsibility/obligation to the poor masses who elected them. BTW, does anyone have an idea of what the job-description of a Nigerian Governor looks like?

17 Likes

Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by fpeter(f): 12:09pm On Nov 05, 2013
i see
Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by slightlyMad(f): 12:11pm On Nov 05, 2013
I like the way everything in Nigeria is being politicized,
even when there is a minor delay with fixing the papers, It gets to the media quickly and there will always be spokesperson ready to speak on the matter
Even when they are not aware if the incident happened or not.

i like the phrase "in accordance with aviation practices all over the world."
that word has been used to death in the past weeks

1 Like

Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by Nobody: 12:12pm On Nov 05, 2013
This one na DEMO-CRAZY o.
Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by wellmax(m): 12:13pm On Nov 05, 2013
Chief Commander GEJ. This guy is worse than Abacha.

5 Likes

Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by nagoma(m): 12:14pm On Nov 05, 2013
GEJ is desperate.
Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by kulikuli45: 12:14pm On Nov 05, 2013
Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by Dhurmynick(m): 12:15pm On Nov 05, 2013
Well. it isn't a first
Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by dridowu: 12:16pm On Nov 05, 2013
bbpreye.:

ok.
must u quote all dat just to say ok ,
@topic, Operation follow me by force by oga at d top. Haba i no dy ds thread
Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by ifedun2: 12:16pm On Nov 05, 2013
This government has kwashiokor.
Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by AMAKAVIOLA: 12:16pm On Nov 05, 2013
Now GEJ s Maning up n U guys r hea tlkin trash... Ndi ara!!! Fresh air 2015

1 Like

Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by babyhrt(m): 12:18pm On Nov 05, 2013
Ur hate 4GEJ make u swallo evrytin hook line and sinker....bt u n ur paymasters cannot bring down a man that has been blessed.FRESH AIR TILL 2019

1 Like

Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by raytony: 12:19pm On Nov 05, 2013
Na small Major Gen Jonathan use better pass Bashir Assad of Syria.
Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by nerodenero: 12:24pm On Nov 05, 2013
israel007: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
You missed nursery school grin
Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by udilson: 12:25pm On Nov 05, 2013
I only wonder how 2015 election will end
Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by Toktee(m): 12:27pm On Nov 05, 2013
Enough illitrates on nairaland who cannot even report what is happening within their domains but always quick to condem saharareporters even when the news is in the public nd other media houses.
Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by plainmirror(m): 12:28pm On Nov 05, 2013
Kedu ife ha n'ako..?
Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by gnot: 12:29pm On Nov 05, 2013
jagons!. thank GOD i'm not a NIGERIan undecided undecided.
Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by alaoeri: 12:30pm On Nov 05, 2013
raytony: Na small Major Gen Jonathan use better pass Bashir Assad of Syria.
Abeg Assad better pass am.
Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by esbjaygmailco(m): 12:37pm On Nov 05, 2013
i think GEJ is passing a massage across. "if i'm not elected come 2015, there will be blood shed " undecided
Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by Nosyke(m): 12:43pm On Nov 05, 2013
Christianos: This is one of the absurdities that we have come to accept as normal in Nigeria. I see no reason why elected Governors will shuttle across the country's airspace on selfish political campaigns, abandoning their primary responsibility/obligation to the poor masses who elected them. BTW, does anyone have an idea of what the job-description of a Nigerian Governor looks like?

God bless you for this observation. Infact take one bottle of your brand on my head.
In recent months, these governors are having one meeting or the other at different locations. Most nigerians have taken sides with or against them but nobody seems to care about the implications of their frequent out of station trips. The private jets they use, the hotel or guest houses, the ground transport, the security personnels attached to them. I am sure its the tax payer of their respective states that foot the bills. How does their political future affect the ordinary village woman in their states. These governors have left the reason why they were voted (or rigged) into power which is provision of basic infrastructure and leadership for their states and are busy gallavanting the whole country at public expense. Now when was the last time any of them commissioned projects in their states?

In saner climes one caan quickly say that their deputies hold the steering of the states machinery why their principals are busy gallavanting, but here in Nigeria, we all know that the deputies are glorified commissioners and as such can't do anything meaningful without recourse to their 'ogas at the top'. The result of this is that these states have been held hostage and governance put on hold.
Btw I am also very much interested in the job description of a governor too.

9 Likes

Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by Nobody: 12:43pm On Nov 05, 2013
nagoma: GEJ is desperate.
U're wrong. GEJ seems weak. Do you think the G7 governors will try this under some presidents in this same Nigeria? I think there is strength in his seeming weakness.

1 Like

Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by Fazhy: 12:46pm On Nov 05, 2013
It's just making the whole show messier.

Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by Mexyz(m): 12:47pm On Nov 05, 2013
I have a question to ask fellow nairalanders, is it that this governors don't have anything to do in their various states? Are the people in their states satisfied with their governance 2 the extent they can now abandon their sates to discuss npdp n opdp?

1 Like

Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by Domaro: 12:51pm On Nov 05, 2013
president Goodluck Jonathan is the most deplomatic and democratic leader nigeria ever had in recent times. He will be patient enough to allow you mess your self up. When you now kill yourself with your own weapon against him through his so called weakness then his strenght will manifest. No more boko issue, ASUU are on their heel bck to classes, next is nPDP.

This man and peter obi has much resemblance in character...... Am joking

2 Likes

Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by Sunnybobo3(m): 12:56pm On Nov 05, 2013
wellmax: Chief Commander GEJ. This guy is worse than Abacha.
I thought he was dumb and clueless.

1 Like

Re: Dissident PDP Governors’ Jet Grounded In Abuja ! by mooregan(m): 1:01pm On Nov 05, 2013
Ystday I read on this same nairaland that the G7 governors met with OBJ n that Amaechi drove d car himself. 2day I'm reading that their Planes where grounded. All this talk one 2day, talk another 2moro news I tire o. Somethings shouldn't make it to front page. Everyday across Nigerians airports, flights r being delayed, no one hears abt dem. So y make noise abt theirs? Are they better than other Nigerians?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

To Enjoy 50% Fare Slash, Travellers Must Show Their PVC, Says NURTW / 2023: Osibanjo To Battle Tinubu, Amaechi For Buhari Endorsement / 750 APC Women Defect To PDP In Sokoto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.