Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,865 members, 7,802,777 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:20 PM

Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin (6156 Views)

Code P1166/p1167 :Is Air Fuel Ratio Sensor Same As Oxygen Sensors? / DIY: Replacement Of Downstream (bank 1 Sensor 2) O2 Sensor On 03-07 Accord 4cyl / Toyota Sienna, P0136 Code Refers To Second Oxygen Sensor On Bank 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by raycollins: 8:15pm On Nov 05, 2013
Hello people. Good evening. Pls I need help. My mums toyota camry XLE is guzzling fuel. Well I can't categorically state if it is guzzling fuel or if it is d guage dat is nt working well becos dere was a time dat it showed E on the guage. I opened the fuel pump and had to check the remaining fuel in the tank and it was more dan quarter. Immediately I replaced the fuel pump assembly and cranked the engine the guage qmoved to quarter tank. Anoda issue is dat the multifunction display shows dat my AVG miles per gallon is between 19.5 to 20.+ which is relatively ok for city driving. Rite? Anoda issues is dat my miles dat car can travel keeps reading 0 but I can still drive a whole lot before car finally dies becos of lack of fuel

D dilemma

When we kinda noticed an increase in fuel consumption, I quickly used my scanner to scan the car and it brought out codes P11135 meanin air fuel sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 1.
I checked d code online and saw that it can drastcally increase fuel consumption. I ordered for the original denso aair fuel sensor connected it my self but it didn't workm I have since replaced it like 5 timess up to no avail. Immediately I replace it and crank the engine, the check engine light comes on immediately indicateing d same problem

Benin mechanics

I have been to like 200 different mechanics(just kiddng) but no one seens to know what function d air fuel sensor plays. All of dem keeps sayin oga nor worry e nor mata . E nor dey do any fin. How clueless. I am very handy when it comes to car repairs like I have changed the thermostat my self, replace the coolant temp sensor and even did change my plugs my selp. NB I just replaced the plugs with denso OEM spark plug SKR0211 .

Help.
Pls if anyone can direct me to a good mechanic in benin dat has worked on oxygen or air fuel sensor before I will be grateful or if any one can assist cos I have d beloief dat its nt d air fuel sensor dat is faulty but may be dere is an electrical connection somewhere dat is not rite. U can ask oda questions if u r nt clear HELP A BRODA OUT

Thanks.
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by earthrealm(m): 8:33pm On Nov 05, 2013
the camry I believe has 2 or more sensors...you need to confirm u r changing the bad one...........there is pre and post cat sensors..bank 1 or bank 2....also what brand of oxygen sensors are u buying?..hope not generic...buy denso that's the oem make........

yeah the avg naija mechanic doesn't understand nor care about the check engine light or air fuel sensor can start n move.
so my advice to you is to ensure u r changing the sensor that needs changing...........
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by raycollins: 9:06pm On Nov 05, 2013
@ earth realm thanks for responding. I fink I am changing the rite sensor becos I googled it online and saw d position kinda. It is the sensor on the exhaust manifold just opposite the radiator. I used denso OEM part. D connecting part is near the coolant temp sensor. Hope I'm correct though. Thanks 1nce again.
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by raycollins: 5:19am On Nov 06, 2013
Waitin
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by cardoctor(m): 7:48am On Nov 06, 2013
ray collins: Hello people. Good evening. Pls I need help. My mums toyota camry XLE is guzzling fuel. Well I can't categorically state if it is guzzling fuel or if it is d guage dat is nt working well becos dere was a time dat it showed E on the guage. I opened the fuel pump and had to check the remaining fuel in the tank and it was more dan quarter. Immediately I replaced the fuel pump assembly and cranked the engine the guage qmoved to quarter tank. Anoda issue is dat the multifunction display shows dat my AVG miles per gallon is between 19.5 to 20.+ which is relatively ok for city driving. Rite? Anoda issues is dat my miles dat car can travel keeps reading 0 but I can still drive a whole lot before car finally dies becos of lack of fuel

D dilemma

When we kinda noticed an increase in fuel consumption, I quickly used my scanner to scan the car and it brought out codes P11135 meanin air fuel sensor heater circuit malfunction bank 1 sensor 1.
I checked d code online and saw that it can drastcally increase fuel consumption. I ordered for the original denso aair fuel sensor connected it my self but it didn't workm I have since replaced it like 5 timess up to no avail. Immediately I replace it and crank the engine, the check engine light comes on immediately indicateing d same problem

Benin mechanics

I have been to like 200 different mechanics(just kiddng) but no one seens to know what function d air fuel sensor plays. All of dem keeps sayin oga nor worry e nor mata . E nor dey do any fin. How clueless. I am very handy when it comes to car repairs like I have changed the thermostat my self, replace the coolant temp sensor and even did change my plugs my selp. NB I just replaced the plugs with denso OEM spark plug SKR0211 .

Help.
Pls if anyone can direct me to a good mechanic in benin dat has worked on oxygen or air fuel sensor before I will be grateful or if any one can assist cos I have d beloief dat its nt d air fuel sensor dat is faulty but may be dere is an electrical connection somewhere dat is not rite. U can ask oda questions if u r nt clear HELP A BRODA OUT

Thanks.

If you have done all these things and yet no joy then you should try changing your ECU. Though all input components to the ECU may be ok, the ECU itself could be misinterpreting the information being fed to it. It may also be sending out the wrong instructions to output components such as the injector nozzles or the ignition coils.

Also check the air filter if its dirty. A very dirty filter would restrict air flow into the engine. (Air filters should also be changed at every service interval. I have had really filthy air filters removed from cars and mechanics have advised that they don't really need to be changed and the filter remains in the housing accumulating more dust and debris).

Best of luck.

Car-Doctor.

Car-doctor.
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by raycollins: 8:46am On Nov 06, 2013
@ car dooctor thanks. I've changed the air filter. With an OEM part. The baffling fin is dat d car idles fine and oda component workin well. Pls how do I sawp d ECU of d car. I know it is located under d dash board area but I don't know if I will be able to remove it and also d car does not smoke. What r d signs of a bad ECU.
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by nissparts(m): 10:15am On Nov 06, 2013
Is the XLE not V6?
If it is, the sensor in front by the radiator is Bank 2
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by raycollins: 10:32am On Nov 06, 2013
No. Its an I4 2AZ FE engine@ sienna. So I guess I've been changin d rite one cos its d one opposite d radiator on d exhaust manifold.
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by raycollins: 1:29pm On Nov 06, 2013
Waitin
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by earthrealm(m): 5:17pm On Nov 06, 2013
if u br sure u r changing the correct sensor...and with oem sensor...then something might be wrong with ur procedure.

1. hope u don't apply the anti sieze that comes with the sensor on the sensor part of the sensor..its just meant to be applied on the threads.
2. rescan the car again to be sure the error code indicates the same sensor.
3. disconnect the battery b4 attempting to change the sensor...and erase the error with an obd ii tool before changing the sensor/starting the car.

4. which site exactly do u buy the sensor?...I buy my sensors on amazon..n no issues.

5. try cleaning the engine air filter as u were adviced or changing it out entirely
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by raycollins: 8:08pm On Nov 06, 2013
@ eaarthrealm thanks. I've been using OEM part and I just changed my air filter less dan 3 months agom I also checked it today and it is immaculately white. Car drives well and perfect only d perceived fuel problem. If anybody knows someone, a good electrician or rewire in benin who knows his onions not all dis yeye ones we have around. The person should pls drop d contact.

Thanks

More response

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by Ikenna351(m): 10:06pm On Nov 06, 2013
ray collins,

Stop looking for those clowns to cause more harm for the vehicle. As far as am concerned, you are doing just fine with your diagnosis. All you need is patience, time and guidance.

Now, that the ECU is reporting a fault with the upstream sensor, does not mean the sensor is faulty. Its only telling you something is wrong at that end. Its left for you to find out what actually is the problem. I wouldn't blame you for replacing the upstream sensor the first time, because of the code you got, but I would have tested the sensor when you realised that the fault didn't go away after the replacement. Don't rely so much on what a scan tool tells you.

Since I do not know much about Toyota injection system, I will use Peugeot injection systems to explain what you need to do on this issue.

o2 Heater Power source: Peugeot use Universal oxygen sensor for their injection systems (except few older Peugeot EFI systems). And Bosch brand only. By universal sensor, I mean 4-wire o2 sensor. Now the Bosch oxygen sensor has a heater. The heater has ground and 12v+ wires (2 out of the 4 wires on the sensor). Some of their EFI systems have their o2 heater power source 12v+ from relays, while some are powered directly from the ECU. So, if the heater relay fails, the heater wont get its 12v+, meaning the sensor wont work. So, you need a Digital MultiMeter (DMM) to test that wire with ignition or engine running, to be sure the heater on the sensor is still been powered (still receiving the 12v+ and ground). Whatever you find, will tell you whether to rule out heater power source or fix the power source.

o2 ECU signal wire: Did it occur to you that there could be dis-communication between the o2 and the ECU via the signal wire? You need to check the continuity of that signal wire from the sensor to the ECU wiring connector with DMM. I know two methods of checking continuity with DMM, but its going to take me a lot of time, if not part of the night to explain them. Do you know how to use DMM? Connectors could corrode, hence, ECU would be receiving incomplete or no values from the sensors. Rodents could eat or chop off those wiring harness, 1 or 2 wires, which would lead to loss of signals from the sensors those wires are connected to. So, test the ECU signal wire continuity, including the two ground wires to the o2, assuming yours is 4-wire o2 sensor.

ECU or o2 sensor: The cause. The LH2-2 (Jetronic) of my Baby works like this: The Injection ECU, through the ECU signal wire, sends about 1.5v to the o2 sensor. Then, the Bosch 02, through the same signal wire, sends about 64 millivolts to the Injection ECU. This result can be attained when the signal wire is disconnected in btween the o2 and the Injection ECU (on the o2 connector, if you like). It works like a thermistor (CTS). So the o2 is supposed to reduce the higher values the ECU is sending to it and return a lower value as the system warms and CTS gradually reduce consumption (with the help of heater part of the o2 sensor, though). So, when the two sides of the signal wires are joined together, you should be getting on your DMM about .80v or so, less than what you will get on the ECU side when the signal wire is disconnected. So, am not sure of Toyota, but for my LH2-2 system, anything more than 1v when the 2 wires are connected would mean the sensor is faulty, since its supposed to reduce the values the ECU sends to it and return the reduced value back to ECU. Also, if the ECU fails to send any value to the sensor, even though the sensor is sending the .64 millivolts, then either the ECU is faulty or there is a dis-communication somewhere on the wire. Likewise, if o2 sensor fails to give about 64 millivolts, then its not working. Note that not all DMM have millivolts function.

If you can carry out the above test on the car, you will know if the o2 sensor is the culprit or the ECU, including the wires with which the 2 components communicate with each other, and the heater relay, if any.

If you do not have the wiring diagram/schematics of that car, it's time to get one. Good luck!

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by raycollins: 1:55am On Nov 07, 2013
@ ikenna thank u very much for d write up. Dis procedure go hard small o. Wud see how ii caan test d sensor. Is it true that d sensor connector is suppose to carry current? I mean where d sensor is plugged into. One electrician said dat dere is no current dere as he used his tester and didn't see any lite. Anoda said current is nt suppose to be dere.

Anoda fin is dat can a bad air fuel sensor make a car become so thirsty becos I have scanned cars for peeps with both oxygen senssor dead and dey still say fuel consumption excellent on deir cars. Y is mine kinda different cos mine is just one .
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by raycollins: 2:32pm On Nov 07, 2013
Update
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by nissparts(m): 2:40pm On Nov 07, 2013
Oga, you stated your mpg as 19-20+ in the city, if this is accurate, I am not sure why you are complaining about fuel economy
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by raycollins: 2:44pm On Nov 07, 2013
@ nissparts yes dats what d on oard computer displays but the fuel guage goes down so fast dat if I buy fuel befoere I get home it has moved so considerably. And I am light on accelerating becos if I over speed den d fuel goes down so drastically. I checked the fuel in d car and it seems to be true meanin d guage is workin well. So I'm confused kinda. Now it reads 18.7MPG AVG
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by nissparts(m): 3:05pm On Nov 07, 2013
I suspect this "buy fuel" you are talking about is in bits of N1500 or N2000, correct.
Buy a full tank, reset the odometer, and come back with how many miles you have driven by the time you get to half tank
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by raycollins: 4:28pm On Nov 07, 2013
@ niss parts iits full tank o. Nt in bits.

Just a little deviation pls does a bad timing chain cause increase in fuel consumption cos someone in my office claims he had dat problem before dat he changed his timing chain. I find it hard to believe__________
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by raycollins: 10:19am On Nov 08, 2013
Waitin
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by Ikenna351(m): 10:46am On Nov 08, 2013
ray collins: Waitin

Honestly, I really don't know what you are waiting for. Is it that your fuel gauge is going down fast or that upstream sensor fault keeps coming back after you have replaced the sensor? Have you made an attempt on what i explained earlier to you on how to rule out or identify the cause of the error code that has refused to go off?

By the way, did you erase the fault/error code from the ECU with your scanner after replacing the upstream sensor?

Ikenna.
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by raycollins: 2:58pm On Nov 08, 2013
@ ikenna yes. Fuel guage goes down so fast, upstream sensor keeps throwing out d CEL illuminated light. I ususlly clear code before replacing but it comes back within 5 seconds. Thanks
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by raycollins: 1:23pm On Nov 09, 2013
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by earthrealm(m): 2:09pm On Nov 09, 2013
n u scan the car to be sure that its the same error code its throwing up again/..all over
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by raycollins: 8:30pm On Nov 10, 2013
@ earthrealm yes boss
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by Nobody: 9:37pm On Nov 10, 2013
OP the possible causes of your problem are stated as follows:
- Faulty Air-Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1
- Air-Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 harness is open or shorted
- Air-Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
You have only addressed the first on the list. Other contributors have advised that you look into the other issues. You say you used oem sensor, could you post the part#, and possibly your VIN so we can ascertain you're using the right part for the right car.
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by erico2k2(m): 10:50pm On Nov 10, 2013
Ikenna351: ray collins,

Stop looking for those clowns to cause more harm for the vehicle. As far as am concerned, you are doing just fine with your diagnosis. All you need is patience, time and guidance.

Now, that the ECU is reporting a fault with the upstream sensor, does not mean the sensor is faulty. Its only telling you something is wrong at that end. Its left for you to find out what actually is the problem. I wouldn't blame you for replacing the upstream sensor the first time, because of the code you got, but I would have tested the sensor when you realised that the fault didn't go away after the replacement. Don't rely so much on what a scan tool tells you.

Since I do not know much about Toyota injection system, I will use Peugeot injection systems to explain what you need to do on this issue.

o2 Heater Power source: Peugeot use Universal oxygen sensor for their injection systems (except few older Peugeot EFI systems). And Bosch brand only. By universal sensor, I mean 4-wire o2 sensor. Now the Bosch oxygen sensor has a heater. The heater has ground and 12v+ wires (2 out of the 4 wires on the sensor). Some of their EFI systems have their o2 heater power source 12v+ from relays, while some are powered directly from the ECU. So, if the heater relay fails, the heater wont get its 12v+, meaning the sensor wont work. So, you need a Digital MultiMeter (DMM) to test that wire with ignition or engine running, to be sure the heater on the sensor is still been powered (still receiving the 12v+ and ground). Whatever you find, will tell you whether to rule out heater power source or fix the power source.

o2 ECU signal wire: Did it occur to you that there could be dis-communication between the o2 and the ECU via the signal wire? You need to check the continuity of that signal wire from the sensor to the ECU wiring connector with DMM. I know two methods of checking continuity with DMM, but its going to take me a lot of time, if not part of the night to explain them. Do you know how to use DMM? Connectors could corrode, hence, ECU would be receiving incomplete or no values from the sensors. Rodents could eat or chop off those wiring harness, 1 or 2 wires, which would lead to loss of signals from the sensors those wires are connected to. So, test the ECU signal wire continuity, including the two ground wires to the o2, assuming yours is 4-wire o2 sensor.

ECU or o2 sensor: The cause. The LH2-2 (Jetronic) of my Baby works like this: The Injection ECU, through the ECU signal wire, sends about 1.5v to the o2 sensor. Then, the Bosch 02, through the same signal wire, sends about 64 millivolts to the Injection ECU. This result can be attained when the signal wire is disconnected in btween the o2 and the Injection ECU (on the o2 connector, if you like). It works like a thermistor (CTS). So the o2 is supposed to reduce the higher values the ECU is sending to it and return a lower value as the system warms and CTS gradually reduce consumption (with the help of heater part of the o2 sensor, though). So, when the two sides of the signal wires are joined together, you should be getting on your DMM about .80v or so, less than what you will get on the ECU side when the signal wire is disconnected. So, am not sure of Toyota, but for my LH2-2 system, anything more than 1v when the 2 wires are connected would mean the sensor is faulty, since its supposed to reduce the values the ECU sends to it and return the reduced value back to ECU. Also, if the ECU fails to send any value to the sensor, even though the sensor is sending the .64 millivolts, then either the ECU is faulty or there is a dis-communication somewhere on the wire. Likewise, if o2 sensor fails to give about 64 millivolts, then its not working. Note that not all DMM have millivolts function.

If you can carry out the above test on the car, you will know if the o2 sensor is the culprit or the ECU, including the wires with which the 2 components communicate with each other, and the heater relay, if any.

If you do not have the wiring diagram/schematics of that car, it's time to get one. Good luck!

Ikenna.
Correct let me add a lil bit, one of the O2 sensor is a heated one, has he found waht one it is?
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by erico2k2(m): 10:52pm On Nov 10, 2013
ray collins: @ ikenna yes. Fuel guage goes down so fast, upstream sensor keeps throwing out d CEL illuminated light. I ususlly clear code before replacing but it comes back within 5 seconds. Thanks
Have you tried checking your exhust for leaks?its very simple to do, just hold that or block teh exhust with ur hand B4 it gets hot and there should be a frying sound from the engine indicating fumes are repatrated back to the eengine do this for less that 10 seconds
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by raycollins: 11:56pm On Nov 10, 2013
Costee: OP the possible causes of your problem are stated as follows:
- Faulty Air-Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1
- Air-Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 harness is open or shorted
- Air-Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
You have only addressed the first on the list. Other contributors have advised that you look into the other issues. You say you used oem sensor, could you post the part#, and possibly your VIN so we can ascertain you're using the right part for the right car.

@ costee thanks. Yes I've. Only done 1 dat is replacing d sensor. Have nt done 2 3 4 nor 5 cos I don't know how to go about dat. Can u pls explain. Will be very grateful or lemme use our best friend GOOGLE. #smiles#
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by raycollins: 11:58pm On Nov 10, 2013
@ eriko 2K2 yes its a heated sensor. Different from a normal O2. Sensor.

I will do d leak test to check if I have leaks in. My. Exhaust.

Thanks.
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by Nobody: 7:44am On Nov 11, 2013
OP you didn't respond to the request on the part# and VIN.
Re: Pls Help With Dis Dilemma Of Air Fuel Sensor On Toyota Camry 2003 XLE In Benin by raycollins: 4:03pm On Nov 14, 2013
Update. Thanks all. No leaks in exhaust . Car now has anoda code. P1346 and it shows twice on the hand help scanner.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Car Headrest Is Detachable / Renault’s EZ-GO Robot Taxi Is The Most Socially Responsible Concept In Geneva / Motor Accidents You've Watched Or Experienced?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.