Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,713 members, 7,802,158 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:03 AM

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. (638879 Views)

Nigeria's Most Feared Masquerades, Names And Photos / Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Lists Of 371 Tribes In Nigeria, Which One Is Yours? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by isalegan2: 3:07pm On Nov 09, 2013
Passing Shot: Not attempting to discredit your effort but you've given literary meanings to many of the names. It doesn't work like that in many cases. For instance, "Yewande" cannot be literally translated to "mother looked for me". I'm sure you know it doesn't really mean that. It's actually a name given to a girl whose grand mother just passed away shortly before her birth. Yorubas use it more as a symbol and remembrance of the event rather than anything else.

Cheers.

Correct. Yewande means the same as Yetunde and Iyabo.

There are Yoruba names that have different spellings but actually mean the same thing. E.g., (Omo)Taiwo, Taiye(wo).

Nice thread.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by tpia5: 3:08pm On Nov 09, 2013
femi4: Peter means rock: Upon this "Rock" will I built my church

I was wondering how he or she came up with that.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by geeez: 3:08pm On Nov 09, 2013
GSKing: @op what about OSHINAIKE = it came from nyash

It's a Yoruba name but that's how it's translated in my language...

Ojukwu means face of death in Yoruba

Igbo means grass in Yoruba

Better now?

5 Likes

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:08pm On Nov 09, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
[size=28pt]OP YOU ARE USELESS!

YOU LEFT ALL THE OLD PAGAN YORUBA NAMES LIKE OGUNSEYI, SANGOLEYE, IFASEYI, IFADOJA, IFABEMIGA, IYAIBEJI, IYAMI, OSUNLADE, ESUBIYI , etc.

YOU ARE BIASED!
[/size]

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Gwekzy: 3:08pm On Nov 09, 2013
Yoruba is BEAUTIFUL
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by tpia5: 3:09pm On Nov 09, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
OP YOU ARE USELESS!

YOU LEFT ALL THE OLD PAGAN YORUBA NAMES LIKE [b]OGUNSEYI, SANGOLEYE, IFASEYI, IFADOJA, IFABEMIGA, IYAIBEJI, IYAMI, OSUNLADE, ESUBIYI, etc.

YOU ARE BIASED!

Calm down, the list is not a comprehensive one, just a compilation from the op and his or her crew.

Common yoruba names like balogun were also left out.

Obasanjo sef no dey there.

2 Likes

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by kennyz8(m): 3:10pm On Nov 09, 2013
what about AJAYI
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Godson201333(m): 3:10pm On Nov 09, 2013
Mergic: Wot of Alampasu??.
. kissWot of Alampasu??.
.Cn any1 help me wyt dt.

Okay and the meaning is person wey get hand make e no sleep/.//
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by isalegan2: 3:10pm On Nov 09, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
[size=14pt]OP YOU ARE USELESS!

YOU LEFT ALL THE OLD PAGAN YORUBA NAMES LIKE OGUNSEYI, SANGOLEYE, IFASEYI, IFADOJA, IFABEMIGA, IYAIBEJI, IYAMI, OSUNLADE, ESUBIYI , etc.

YOU ARE BIASED!
[/size]

grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy lipsrsealed wink

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 3:10pm On Nov 09, 2013
shollaire: Even some Bible names are negative. yet some still ignorantly name their child such. Jacob -means a cheat. Peter -means unstable.
Are you for real Jacob(Yaakov) means "Supplanting" and Peter mean "Rock"

#TeamGOM
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 3:11pm On Nov 09, 2013
lirusehn: who ar d YORUBAs ?

The most civilized, educated and down-to-earth people..

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by tpia5: 3:11pm On Nov 09, 2013
kennyz8: what about AJAYI

The op knowledge no reach there.

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by adejabs(m): 3:12pm On Nov 09, 2013
OLUPONMILE means Lord honours me
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by MsNas(f): 3:13pm On Nov 09, 2013
lirusehn: who ar d YORUBAs ?
Your Nemesis wink

3 Likes

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by MsNas(f): 3:15pm On Nov 09, 2013
boniflex: Typical yoruba thread..... Nke a bu inwe efe. #hiss#
Olohun ngbo, Ori e o pe!

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nigerianmovie(m): 3:15pm On Nov 09, 2013
What of iya Bambo?
Baba oloriburuku?
iya alamala?
Baba oloshi?
iya oloti?
omo elemu?
I hear these names always

2 Likes

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Btruth: 3:16pm On Nov 09, 2013
Awesome list of names.

smiley
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by tpia1: 3:16pm On Nov 09, 2013
Hey, who banned me for posting on the thread?

Is the op an alternate moniker for somebody?

That would explain why its on frontpage.

Who are the people looking for this information and who can only get it on nl?
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 3:16pm On Nov 09, 2013
geeez:

Ojukwu means face of death in Yoruba

Better now?
seriously?? grin

Never knew oo! Are you sure the yorubas and Igbos weren't enemies in the ancient. . . Cause e be like say dem con dey carry the opposte tribe name dey scatter!!! grin grin grin

#TeamGOM
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by isalegan2: 3:17pm On Nov 09, 2013
humblesteve: Can't find Kayode@ op

Well done oh

But your name is Steve. grin

The OP didn't indicate that he/she is responsible for compiling the list. A Facebook page is credited.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by chyket(m): 3:17pm On Nov 09, 2013
Very enlightening for we. Non-Yorubas
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by tpia1: 3:17pm On Nov 09, 2013
adejabs: OLUPONMILE means Lord honours me

Beautiful name.

The op also left out rike.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by skyscraperTM(m): 3:17pm On Nov 09, 2013
Yipee! I saw my name -o∂υηaчo™

Please someone should tell me the meaning of my surname "Ikuborije."
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by HopeAtHand: 3:17pm On Nov 09, 2013
Whats d meaning of Obasanjo...and why did u omit gbenga
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by isalegan2: 3:18pm On Nov 09, 2013
Nigerian movie: What of iya Bambo?
Baba oloriburuku?
iya alamala?
Baba oloshi?
iya oloti?
omo elemu?
I hear these names always

Made-up names on Nollywood shitty moves don't count. wink

P.S. It would be nice to bump the Oriki thread - if I can find it. I love those names.

2 Likes

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by johnstar(m): 3:18pm On Nov 09, 2013
Most of der name knw make sense @all, lyk dis 1 nw : babatunde- fada has re-incarnated, nd dis 1 again fawole, oracle has arrived undecided undecided
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:19pm On Nov 09, 2013
Very nice compilation. I m proud of the Yoruba race. They are unique people. They v class, swagg, respect, knowlegde, love, wealth & any good attribute you can remember.
Our African people should embrace the idea of making the 1st name of their wards an indigenious name. Some foreign name as lovely as it may sound just don't worth it. How can I name my daughter Claudia when it means lame abi na blind. Eww!
But the Op didn't complete the Okiki series.
Okiki-Oluwa or Okikioluwa means the Lords fame or God's fame.
Okiki-Ade or Okikiade means the crown's fame.
Last Bullet:
Now you know the meaning of my name.

4 Likes

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by tpia1: 3:19pm On Nov 09, 2013
Hope.At.Hand:
Whats d meaning of Obasanjo...and why did u omit gbenga

Strange list!

Otedola sef is omitted.

Aregbesola, tinubu, amusan also not on the list, for some reason.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 3:20pm On Nov 09, 2013
I asked som1 to give me a yoruba name, he said itunu!

I know it means somtyn about peace! But it sounds like a curse word to me.

E.g look at this girl, itunu like you embarassed

Pls I need a sweeter name,ejo

3 Likes

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Blackheritage: 3:20pm On Nov 09, 2013
I am proud my name and culture.... Its really a black heritage.

Upon all d years of colonianism, 90% of yorubas still maintain their status quo (names) and not name there wards in oyinbo names like some other tribes of dis country. Infact, I make jest of some of youruba friends that bears williams, George, Salvage n rest... I tell them that them grand papas na oyinbo slaves, them oyinbo give new name
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by dyzle(m): 3:21pm On Nov 09, 2013
am ibo buh yoruba people re kul people ma bestie s yoruba and hs one crazy dude kul names thou

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.