Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,311 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. (639545 Views)

Nigeria's Most Feared Masquerades, Names And Photos / Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings / Lists Of 371 Tribes In Nigeria, Which One Is Yours? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by lepasharon(f): 7:16pm On Nov 09, 2013
Idowuogbo:
Wealth is deaf

grin
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by lirusehn(m): 7:16pm On Nov 09, 2013
rhames:

where is olatoye and ojobaro?
ya name wuz xcluded cuz of ya foolishnez. Must u quote d whole post forus 2 get ya senselezz quest?

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Onliie(m): 7:16pm On Nov 09, 2013
Omololu. That's my name
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Gilbertman(m): 7:17pm On Nov 09, 2013
dimples*:

sorry dear! Exactly it sounded like all those nu nu curse words! Its aiit tho cheesy
The contributors to the meaning of ur name were right. Itunu is one of the precious and more unique name given to a favored girl child. It has indigenous Yoruba meaning as well as a link to praise and worship of God the most High for His bounties. A girl with that name possibly has history of events happening prior to her being born and eventually being named that.... Such name don't just happen...
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by kola639: 7:21pm On Nov 09, 2013
richy1473: ...You better thank your STAR(or 33),my name is there....but how come the most popular name in YORUBALAND(virtually every family has someone bearing the name); KOLA is not there?

Me too I wonder o
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by fairygeh(f): 7:25pm On Nov 09, 2013
rhames:

where is olatoye and ojobaro?
. Why did you quote everything?Are u an 1 mbecile?

2 Likes

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by deols(f): 7:29pm On Nov 09, 2013
Idowuogbo:
Yea u right! Something like won fi ola di ti.

The ami on it is.. Re mi do mi.

It is not re mi mi mi..which would have meant wealth is deaf.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by deols(f): 7:31pm On Nov 09, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

God of War.

Nope. It is not the name of a god. The Baloguns are human, chief to the Oba and lead wars.

They could be liken to the military head.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Belmot(m): 7:34pm On Nov 09, 2013
Gbadegesin, shekoni, salako, Adedo, kunbi, ibidun. Olaoti, Abeke, Sabitiyu ..... All this names are missing
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 7:39pm On Nov 09, 2013
Proudly Yoruba. My name, Ola, meaning wealth is going to speak for me. One day una go hear my name.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by deols(f): 7:44pm On Nov 09, 2013
Belmot: Gbadegesin, shekoni, salako, Adedo, kunbi, ibidun. Olaoti, Abeke, Sabitiyu ..... All this names are missing

Sabitiyu is not a Yoruba name..it is arabic.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 7:45pm On Nov 09, 2013
[quote
author=shollaire]Even some Bible names are negative. yet some still
ignorantly name their child such. Jacob -means a cheat. Peter -means
unstable. [/quote]

Mechie onu. Peter means 'rock'.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Pdizzle(m): 7:47pm On Nov 09, 2013
OLUMIDE... dah shii is legendary

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by modupeaderonke(f): 7:57pm On Nov 09, 2013
doopsy: Modupe all the way grin
name sake wink
doopsy: Modupe all the way grin
name sake

3 Likes

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Belmot(m): 7:58pm On Nov 09, 2013
deols:

Sabitiyu is not a Yoruba name..it is arabic.
Correct..... Salam Alaikum Malama deols
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by modupeaderonke(f): 8:07pm On Nov 09, 2013
lirusehn: moma of geeezz!!. Letz read urz so i can knw woru say
u no sabi talk ooooo,u just dey yan anyhow bouncers egba oju eee tongue
lirusehn: moma of geeezz!!. Letz read urz so i can knw woru say
u no sabi talk ooooo,u just dey yan anyhow bouncers egba oju eee
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by modupeaderonke(f): 8:10pm On Nov 09, 2013
Gilbertman: Modupe.. just out of curiosity, I checked your page.If you are not the one on there, it will be someone related to you closely...so naturally you are a beauty.
The gentleman that was talking with you about cute and age is a good guy too. All are in the sense of humor.
Let us enjoy/
and does dat put food on my table
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by lirusehn(m): 8:13pm On Nov 09, 2013
modupeaderonke: u no sabi talk ooooo,u just dey yan anyhow bouncers egba oju eee :Pu no sabi talk ooooo,u just dey yan anyhow bouncers egba oju eee
omo ur new DP fine o. Hmmn. I swear i love it. #no string attached o.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Idowuogbo(f): 8:19pm On Nov 09, 2013
lirusehn: omo ur new DP fine o. Hmmn. I swear i love it. #no string attached o.
Werey!!! Shebi u say d babe worwor? Now u dey fire am indirect toasting ba? Ori e ti yi
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by lirusehn(m): 8:26pm On Nov 09, 2013
Idowuogbo:
Werey!!! Shebi u say d babe worwor? Now u dey fire am indirect toasting ba? Ori e ti yi
stop displayn ya foolishnez dora. I intentionally added *no string attached*. Am nat d lovey dovey type. Bkiaful of wot yee write. Bsidz, doz silly words u added call for elucidation
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Idowuogbo(f): 8:28pm On Nov 09, 2013
lirusehn: stop displayn ya foolishnez dora. I intentionally added *no string attached*. Am nat d lovey dovey type. Bkiaful of wot yee write. Bsidz, doz silly words u added call for elucidation
typing with d muscles in ya anuz again? undecided
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by omiata(m): 8:29pm On Nov 09, 2013
Alampasu / Alapa-isu/ Alapa-su meaning: Arm like that of Yam...
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Jamaticulus(m): 8:35pm On Nov 09, 2013
AHn ahn....wot of ALAMPASUU naa??
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by walexy14(m): 8:36pm On Nov 09, 2013
You correct!!!!!!!
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by lirusehn(m): 8:36pm On Nov 09, 2013
Idowuogbo: typing with d muscles in ya anuz again? undecided
awww!! Sowie dora. I don notice u. Nfin elz? grin grin
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by lirusehn(m): 8:37pm On Nov 09, 2013
[/b]8:40 PM
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:42pm On Nov 09, 2013
deols:

Nope. It is not the name of a god. The Baloguns are human, chief to the Oba and lead wars.

They could be liken to the military head.

im not saying they are Gods.

Im saying their title has the name of a God.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by backwardneva: 8:43pm On Nov 09, 2013
u really try.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 09, 2013
There's no way d op can include all names especially surnames ( traditional names). He is just trying to tell us Yoruba names have sensible meanings and cultural back ground..
Thanks for mentioning my surname anyway.
tpia1:

Strange list!

Otedola sef is omitted.

Aregbesola, tinubu, amusan also not on the list, for some reason.
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 8:47pm On Nov 09, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

you shut the f up yourself.

your so-called god (or should I say) man-god died like a criminal, naked and crying for God to save him.

what a weak , useless god. tongue

you Ibo fellow, stop leading the Yorubas astray.

just because you fellows have lost your identity and spirituality and religion, doesnt mean the rest of us Nigerians should as well.

You Smell Of
Fear undecided
Piss angry
Shiit ...
&
Old Bones angry

Your Slowly going mental Savage..

Please click the Website below..
www.yabalefttech.edu.ng
grin

1 Like

Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by ona2: 8:48pm On Nov 09, 2013
was hoping i would get the meaning of my name: ONAJOKE, ONAFADEKEMI. I can understand fadekemi and maybe joke but the ona is what?
Re: Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. by Nobody: 8:51pm On Nov 09, 2013
lirusehn: IBO? U kinda related 2 yor'ba?

my 1st Cousins are Yorubas

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.