Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,977 members, 7,806,854 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:23 AM

Amaechi To Consult Jonathan, Rivers Residents Before Deciding On APC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Amaechi To Consult Jonathan, Rivers Residents Before Deciding On APC (624 Views)

Wike Asks Amaechi To Account For N3Trillion / Biafra Protesters Attack Rivers Residents / Rivers Residents Express Mixed Reactions To Tribunal’s Sack Of Governor Wike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Amaechi To Consult Jonathan, Rivers Residents Before Deciding On APC by johntousin(m): 9:02pm On Nov 05, 2013
The Rivers State Governor, Rotimi Amaechi, said on Tuesday that he would consult with President Goodluck Jonathan and the people of the state before deciding whether to defect to the All Progressives Congress, APC, or not.

Mr. Amaechi, who was elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, which slammed an indefinite suspension on him since May 27, also described those angling to oust him from power, as desperate and corrupt people, who could only be stopped by peoples’ power and conscious reforms, which he likened to a revolution.

He spoke at a reception he organised for the APC leaders, who were in Port Harcourt, the state capital, to formally request him to join the opposition party.

The opposition leaders at the rally, which lasted for about three hours at the Government House, Port Harcourt, included former Head of State, Muhammadu Buhari; former Lagos State Governor, Bola Tinubu; APC National Chairman, Bisi Akande; Deputy National Chairman, Aminu Masari; National Vice Chairman (South-South), Tom Ikimi; and a former governor of Edo State, John Odigie-Oyegun.

Others were Senator Magnus Abe, Chairman of the Senate Committee on Petroleum Resources (Downstream); Andrew Uchendu, a member of the House of Representatives; and Sam Sam Jaja, Deputy National Chairman of the Kawu Baraje faction of the PDP, also called “New PDP.”

The chairmen of the 23 local government areas of the state were also in attendance.

Mr. Amaechi is a member the Abubakar Baraje-led faction of the PDP tagged “New PDP;” alongside six other governors. They are Sule Lamido (Jigawa), Musa Kwankwaso (Kano), Babangida Aliyu (Niger), Murtala Nyako (Adamawa), Abdulfatah Ahmed (Kwara) and Aliyu Wamakko (Sokoto).

The Rivers State governor is the third among the G7 governors to be openly approached by the APC leaders to join the party.

Noting that he was peculiar among the governors because he hailed from the same zone – South-South zone – as Mr Jonathan,, Mr Amaechi, in response to APC leaders’ invitation, said he would not only consult the president before deciding on the formal invitation, but also the people of zone and Rivers State.

“To our APC guests, I like to say we are a group of seven governors. In that group, I’m peculiar because the president is from our zone. So regarding your invitation, I will consult our leaders, I will consult my party. I will consult even the president. He is from our zone. I will consult all the ‘consultables’” he said.

“But the day we will take a decision, it will be at that our new stadium. It has the capacity to take 40,000 people. Tinubu and the president will address 40,000 people. So we need to go out and continue to grow our number.
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/149145-amaechi-consult-jonathan-rivers-residents-deciding-apc.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=amaechi-consult-jonathan-rivers-residents-deciding-apc
Re: Amaechi To Consult Jonathan, Rivers Residents Before Deciding On APC by AkpanUnanam(m): 9:33pm On Nov 05, 2013
Apc-change-change Apc! That is Drugs for Nigerans. Ist to input words
Re: Amaechi To Consult Jonathan, Rivers Residents Before Deciding On APC by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 05, 2013
m
Re: Amaechi To Consult Jonathan, Rivers Residents Before Deciding On APC by atlwireles: 9:37pm On Nov 05, 2013
grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Sen. Francis Arthur Nzeribe Declares That "APGA Will Win Anambra Guber Poll" / Edo State PDP To Pay Abused Widow N250,000 – Governor Oshiomhole Under Fire / Why Jonathan Didn’t Speak At Mandela’s Service – Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.