Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,710 members, 7,805,915 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:26 AM

English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... (9916 Views)

15 Words You Should Eliminate From Your Vocabulary To Sound Smarter / Is Using Mnemonics In Exams A Malpractice? / How Good Is Your English Vocabulary? Double Dare Nlders To Get 10/10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 12:42pm On Nov 06, 2013
Hey, in here, all is welcomed! And hey in here, things are grammar-wise, bombard, Igodomigodo your posts, ask questions about big words, post current/archaic vocabularies and let's exchange knowledge, wisdom and comprehension for no matter the age difference betwixt you and me, we are both doomed to student under life till the day we pop the cog.
Let's go there... grin Don't freak out please, always stay tunned and sir and or ma and be supra-honest... O ya na...!

[size=18]We live in a ____ age; everyone thinks that maximizing pleasure is the point of life.
A. ubiquitous
B. propitious
C. sporadic
D. corrupt
E. hedonistic.[/size]
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Lanrefahm(m): 12:48pm On Nov 06, 2013
Jodekss: Hey, in here, all is welcomed! And hey in here, things are grammar-wise, bombard, Igodomigodo your posts, ask questions about big words, post current/archaic vocabularies and let's exchange knowledge, wisdom and comprehension for no matter the age difference betwixt you and me, we are both doomed to student under life till the day we pop the cog.
Let's go there... grin Don't freak out please, always stay tuned and be supra-honest... O ya na...!

[size=18]We live in a ____ age; everyone thinks that maximizing pleasure is the point of life.
A. ubiquitous
B. propitious
C. sporadic
D. corrupt
E. hedonistic.[/size]
ubiquitous
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by timpaker(m): 12:54pm On Nov 06, 2013
Jodekss: Hey, in here, all is welcomed! And hey in here, things are grammar-wise, bombard, Igodomigodo your posts, ask questions about big words, post current/archaic vocabularies and let's exchange knowledge, wisdom and comprehension for no matter the age difference betwixt you and me, we are both doomed to student under life till the day we pop the cog.
Let's go there... grin Don't freak out please, always stay tuned and be supra-honest... O ya na...!

A. ubiquitous
B. propitious
C. sporadic
D. corrupt
E. hedonistic.[/size]

E. Hedonistic cheesy

1 Like

Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Cathaliya: 1:01pm On Nov 06, 2013
Lanrefahm:
ubiquitous
Mister, does 'a' go before a word like 'ubiquitous'..?

last I checked 'a' goes with a consonant sha

correct me if I am wrong
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 1:04pm On Nov 06, 2013
Cathaliya: Mister, does 'a' go before a word like 'ubiquitous'..?

last I checked 'a' goes with a consonant sha

correct me if I am wrong
lol, you are rice, it should be AN. Y? Cos A could only go with words beginning with consonant sound but AN with vowel sounds and mild sounds...like, a, e, i, o, u- biquitous...
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 1:07pm On Nov 06, 2013
timpaker:

E. Hedonistic cheesy
ya. You are rice sir.
HEDONISTIC simply mean devouted to pleasure. And one of its similar words is INDULGENT(CE).
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 1:12pm On Nov 06, 2013
While unwilling to forgo the benefits of standardized testing, many European countries are seeking to (i)____ individual (ii)____ which state examinations with their (iii)____ growth have bought in their train.
Blank (i)
A. increase control over
B. diminish the check on
C. increase awareness of
Blank (ii)
D. spontaneity
E. limitations
F. persecution
Blank (iii)
G. randomizing effects
H. tyrannous growth
I. empowering actions...
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 1:15pm On Nov 06, 2013
[b]A businessman must (i)____ his horizons; a (ii)____ attitude will get you nowhere in this age of global communications.
Blank (i)
A. limit
B. foresee
C. widen
Blank (ii)
D. parochial
E. moderate
F. comprehensive.[/b]widen and parochial.
I applaud Timparker.
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Nobody: 1:17pm On Nov 06, 2013
"how is you" please, is this correct, and if it is correct, why? Can you back it up with any of the rules of concord? Please i need replies because i see it everywhere. It looks wrong to me.
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by timpaker(m): 1:19pm On Nov 06, 2013
Jodekss: A businessman must (i)____ his horizons; a (ii)____ attitude will get you nowhere in this age of global communications.
Blank (i)
A. limit
B. foresee
C. widen
Blank (ii)
D. parochial
E. moderate
F. comprehensive.

C. Widen & D. parochial cool
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Nobody: 1:19pm On Nov 06, 2013
Jodekss: A businessman must (i)____ his horizons; a (ii)____ attitude will get you nowhere in this age of global communications.
Blank (i)
A. limit
B. foresee
C. widen
Blank (ii)
D. parochial
E. moderate
F. comprehensive.
i-widen ii-parochial
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by timpaker(m): 1:20pm On Nov 06, 2013
Jodekss: While unwilling to forgo the benefits of standardized testing, many European countries are seeking to (i)____ individual (ii)____ which state examinations with their (iii)____ growth have bought in their train.
Blank (i)
A. increase control over
B. diminish the check on
C. increase awareness of
Blank (ii)
D. spontaneity
E. limitations
F. persecution
Blank (iii)
G. randomizing effects
H. tyrannous growth
I. empowering actions...

***Scratches head and looks at the ceiling for answers***
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Cathaliya: 1:23pm On Nov 06, 2013
Jodekss: lol, you are rice, it should be AN. Y? Cos A could only go with words beginning with consonant sound but AN with vowel sounds and mild sounds...like, a, e, i, o, u- biquitous...
i am not rice joor
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Nobody: 1:25pm On Nov 06, 2013
I hope you guys are not planning to ignore my question o, because i'm ready to ask it a thousand times till i get a reply... cheesy
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Cathaliya: 1:28pm On Nov 06, 2013
Elliotwiz1: I hope you guys are not planning to ignore my question o, because i'm ready to ask it a thousand times till i get a reply... cheesy
its not correct.
those who changed it, just did it for fun.

so, the correct one is....
How are you?
and not
How is you?

comprehende?
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by timpaker(m): 1:29pm On Nov 06, 2013
Elliotwiz1: I hope you guys are not planning to ignore my question o, because i'm ready to ask it a thousand times till i get a reply... cheesy
That your question is American and I don't know
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 1:30pm On Nov 06, 2013
Elliotwiz1: "how is you" please, is this correct, and if it is correct, why? Can you back it up with any of the rules of concord? Please i need replies because i see it everywhere. It looks wrong to me.
there's no need to back it up with concord jare, it is what those 21century rappers are instilling in da brains of dia fans. Imagine Eminem saying YOU IS THERE WHEN YOU'S KICKED MY BUTTS! Lol, it's damn erroneous jare, 'you' remains plural and only plural verb e.g are must succeed it... E.g YOU ARE SO VERY STUPID FOR CHOOSING TO BE A STREET HO.
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 1:32pm On Nov 06, 2013
Cathaliya: i am not rice joor
lol. You are very rice jare. grin
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by timpaker(m): 1:33pm On Nov 06, 2013
Jodekss: While unwilling to forgo the benefits of standardized testing, many European countries are seeking to (i)____ individual (ii)____ which state examinations with their (iii)____ growth have bought in their train.
Blank (i)
A. increase control over
B. diminish the check on
C. increase awareness of
Blank (ii)
D. spontaneity
E. limitations
F. persecution
Blank (iii)
G. randomizing effects
H. tyrannous growth
I. empowering actions...

C, D & H
I hope i got it right?

1 Like

Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 1:33pm On Nov 06, 2013
timpaker:

***Scratches head and looks at the ceiling for answers***
lol grin
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Nobody: 1:34pm On Nov 06, 2013
^^^ok thanks, You all think what i think, even the rules of concord go against it... Lemme wait for someone that thinks otherwise..

1 Like

Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Cathaliya: 1:34pm On Nov 06, 2013
Jodekss: lol. You are very rice jare. grin
you are an English teacher o so show good example
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 1:35pm On Nov 06, 2013
timpaker:

C, D & H
I hope i got it right?
yep
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 1:37pm On Nov 06, 2013
Cathaliya: you are an English teacher o so show good example
grin
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by timpaker(m): 1:37pm On Nov 06, 2013
Jodekss: yep

Really? **scratches head**

1 Like

Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 1:49pm On Nov 06, 2013
____ by nature, Jones spoke very little even to his own family members.
A. garrulous
B. equivocal
C. taciturn
D. arrogant
E. gregarious.
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 1:54pm On Nov 06, 2013
If I were a bird, I____in the sky.

1. Will fly
2. Would fly
3. Would have flown
4. 2+3
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Jodekss(m): 1:55pm On Nov 06, 2013
After centuries of (i)____, this philosopher's thesis is enjoying a surprising (ii)____ .
Blank (i)
A. limelight
B. obscurity
C. longevity Blank (ii)
D. renaissance
E. decimation
F. neglect.
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by Nobody: 2:01pm On Nov 06, 2013
Jodekss: If I were a bird, I____in the sky.

1. Will fly
2. Would fly
3. Would have flown
4. 2+3
2.would fly

1 Like

Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by timpaker(m): 2:01pm On Nov 06, 2013
Jodekss: If I were a bird, I would fly in the sky.

1. Will fly
2. Would fly
3. Would have flown
4. 2+3

4. 2+3
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by GreatSkess: 2:01pm On Nov 06, 2013
Jodekss: If I were a bird, I____in the sky.

1. Will fly
2. Would fly
3. Would have flown
4. 2+3
2. would fly
Re: English Vocabulary Paradise » ❶ Vocab Tests ❷ Usage Sentences ❸ Mnemonics... by timpaker(m): 2:02pm On Nov 06, 2013
Jodekss: Taciturn by nature, Jones spoke very little even to his own family members.
A. garrulous
B. equivocal
C. taciturn
D. arrogant
E. gregarious.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Mtn Foundation Scholarship Shortlist Is Out! / See The Office Complex Of The President Of South Africa (PHOTOS) / 10 Sign Polytechnic Education Is Better Than University Education

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.