Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,644 members, 7,801,871 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:59 AM

Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India (32346 Views)

FAAN Introduces Sniffer Dogs And Anti-terrorism Squads / Travelling To Usa With My Anti-retroviral Drugs / Anti African Racism In Europe. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:09am On Nov 07, 2013
The person wey dey delete my comments make im try. Na im go tire.
Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:11am On Nov 07, 2013
India, we are sorry for the crime some "Nigerians" perpetrated to disturb the peace in your country. We have as a country, tried to dissuade these young men from engaging in illicit drugs deal. Be that as it may, we want you to take your time to observe this incident while taking note of similar ones that took place in South Africa, Kenya, Malaysia, China, etc. You will notice that the people involved are from a part of Nigeria. It will be right for you to state the name of that place whenever you are reporting. Law abiding Nigerians from other parts of the country feel bad outside the country when it is reported that Nigerians a drug dealers.

10 Likes

Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by Nobody: 9:28am On Nov 07, 2013
What makes Goa worried - skin colour or drug trade?

Thursday, November 7, 2013,

[img]http://news.oneindia.in/img/2013/11/x07-goa-beach-600.jpg.pagespeed.ic.z7htWc0ikA.jpg[/img]

Death of a Nigerian national in Goa has snowballed into a much bigger issue now. As the Twitter, Facebook communities suggest, the incident is undoubtedly yet another instance of India's infamous racism and ethnic sterotyping.

As both the nations - India and Nigeria- are fast getting into dialogues to solve the diplomatic problems, locals in Goa have decided that they will not rent houses to Nigerians any more. Besides, the government has begun a crackdown on Nigerians living in the state. Allegedly a minister in Goan cabinet equated Nigerians to 'wild animals' and 'cancer'.

Politicians in Goa say Africans pose security threats to the locals. "Most of the Nigerians living in Goa are involved in drug deals", Michael Lobo, an MLA from the ruling party, reportedly said. Posters saying "We want peace in goa, Say No to Nigerians, Say No to drugs", are all over the state, reports NDTV.

Although there are police records which prove that people from different countries and communities are involved in drug trade in Goa, Africans are harassed the most. Instead of investigating the murder and controlling the flourishing drug trade, Goan police and locals have lashed out against the entire Nigerian community living in Goa.

Twitter and Facebook users widely slam the incident as yet another instance of India's racism, while Goans see it as a security issue. "Nigerian attacked, killed in Goa, African in coma in Punjab, India must face up to its racist shame", tweeted Kavitha Krishnan, president of All India Progressive Women's Association.

Television personality Siddhartha basu tweeted, "Though it is whites who are known to control the flourishing drug trade in Goa, the call to deport all Africans there is downright racist".

Racist sterotyping is not something new in India. Indians love to believe that all people from North-east are either hair-stylists or cooks. We believe skin-colour determines one's social behaviour.

'All we want here is for Indians to understand we are not drug dealers'

Africans in India are often looked at with suspicion. Because for Indians, 'Negros' are drug-peddlers, criminals and kidnappers.

There are more than 50,000 Nigerians living in India. The number could be much more as there are many who live illegaly. Getting an Indian visa is relatively easier for Nigerians. Presence of good universities and ample opportunities make India a favourite destination for them.

Most of the African students living in various campuses in India find their Indian classmates friendly and helpful. Sometimes they face mild racial slurs, but most of the students admit that they have learned to take them light.

But issues get bigger when Africans try to find a job, rent an apartment or fall in love with a local.

In April 2013, BBC published a report about racial discrminiations faced by Africans living in Mumbai. The report says that a Nigerian national, married to an Indian woman in Mumbai, was detained by Mumbai police for drug trafficking. Despite having valid documents, he was arrested by the police, along with 30 other Africans. They were detained for hours before they were let off with an apology. His wife says that she was isolated, insulted by her friends and relatives for marrying a Nigerian.

"We look after Indians in our countries. They have become rich there. All we want here is for Indians to understand we are not drug dealers. We are not violent. We are just like them", says an African living in Mumbai.

However, many residents in Goa disagree with the media reports. Born in Leipzig, and presently living in Panaji, Choyin Dorje claims that the media here has been vehemently "chauvinistic" and "anti-foreigner", as against how locals privately feel.

"Goan media expresses their chauvinistic 'anti-foreigner' views blatantly, whereas in private most locals are tolerant," he says. Nevertheless, government is determined to go ahead with the crackdown on Nigerians in Goa. It is certainly more important to deal with the huge drug trade in Goa than to evict all Nigerians from the state. But then, ethnic sterotyping and stirring up regional sentiments is always easier for political parties and media.

OneIndia News

Source

ROSSIKE,

I hope you are learning fast that all that frothing at the mouth yesterday is no quick fix to this obvious breakdown in relations.
It is clear now, if it was not before, that India does not give rats ar.se about her fictitious '1 million citizens' within the borders of Nigeria.

Moving on, I urge the Nigerian government to take a more forceful line with its Indian counterpart. While I hate to make generalizations, there is no getting around the fact that, because the caste system in Indian legitimises official discrimination, the Goan authorities now consider this open season for ethnic cleansing.

I know it won't be easy, given the trade figures highlighted below, but even so the Nigerian government needs to demonstrate concern for the welfare of her citizens, before this matter gets out of hand. A number of South Asia countries look up to India, and this sordid affair could set a precedent which has far reaching implications.

India Displaces US as Nigeria’s Major Trading Partner

India has overtaken the United States of America (USA) to become Nigeria’s major export trading partner, according to the First Quarter 2012 Trade Statistics released by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS).

It came as the Indian government yesterday expressed interest in higher volumes of term contracts of crude oil supplies with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).

The NBS report, which put the total value of the nation’s exports in Q1 2012 at about N4.9 trillion, showed that total value of exports to India reached N688.5 billion compared to N607.7 billion credited to the US in the period under review.

The US was trailed by the Netherlands with N482.1 billion followed by Spain with N390.4 billion and Brazil which recorded N328.9 billion.

The relegation of the US to the second position is seen as a major development for Nigeria and India trade relations given that the US had remained the former’s biggest trading partner since 1964.

Source

2 Likes

Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by KwoiZabo(m): 9:54am On Nov 07, 2013
Donalð Genes: Wtf! I wonder which tribe in Nigeria is putting us in such a bad spotlight? Na waooo all because of money some people will wanna soil our image and now the whole Nigerians will be paying the price for their illicit business
I wonder the tribe that made us win the African cup of nations
I wonder the tribe that fought for Nigeria's independence
I wonder the tribe that produced the person that led to the cancelation of our foreign debt
I wonder the tribe that are at the forefront of Nigeria's industrialization
Ithout this tribe Nigeria will be like sudan or republic of benin
How I wish other tribes were like this tribe then Europeans will be mowing lawns in our country
The list is endless
I just love that tribe

23 Likes

Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by Nobody: 9:55am On Nov 07, 2013
I hold my comments; that's terrible if its true but am running the image through an image site to determine if that picture is real or not. brb because i know NL is full of misinformation.
Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by kettykin: 9:55am On Nov 07, 2013
Orlando Owoh: India, we are sorry for the crime some "Nigerians" perpetrated to disturb the peace in your country. We have as a country, tried to dissuade these young men from engaging in illicit drugs deal. Be that as it may, we want you to take your time to observe this incident while taking note of similar ones that took place in South Africa, Kenya, Malaysia, China, etc. You will notice that the people involved are from a part of Nigeria. It will be right for you to state the name of that place whenever you are reporting. Law abiding Nigerians from other parts of the country feel bad outside the country when it is reported that Nigerians a drug dealers.
If people from a certain part of the country is the problem of nigeria then Nigeria has no problem at all, but if Nigeria is neither willing to let the people secede or push the people to go and form a country of their own then Nigeria's problem is unsolvable as I write this countless numbers of people from a certain part of the country are in police custody and another unaccounted number has been killed by nigerian soldiers and policemen for embarking on a peaceful campaign to form their own country.

A national conference that should finally grant these people their wish is either in the process of being boycotted or sabotaged by the same hypocrite that are bent on keeping these people in the same country with them

14 Likes

Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by dasparrow: 9:56am On Nov 07, 2013
@Post

If Nigerians know what's good for them, they better leave that place. I am still trying to understand what will make a Nigerian go and live in india of all places? Isn't it better to live in one of the english-speaking African countries than to go to india? I really don't know why some Nigerians insist on going to a developing country like india. Besides, there are a lot of indians here in Nigeria and many are here illegally. I think Nigerian immigration needs to step up their game and fish them out and have them deported. My 2 cents.
Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by idupaul: 9:57am On Nov 07, 2013
Ile-Ife:
"Nigerians" never see anything. When idiots carry cutlass and machete to threaten people in their country, declaring India a no man's land. Indians have shown a lot of tolerance in my opinion.

My tots exactly
Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by Jaideyone(m): 9:58am On Nov 07, 2013
geeez: It's time we allowed these people create their own country so the billboards will be appropriately captioned
they'll soon claim they developed india grin

1 Like

Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by buoye1(m): 10:00am On Nov 07, 2013
May God help us!!!dis is teRrible
Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by MrAboki: 10:02am On Nov 07, 2013
We dey watch...

Nigerians in India are poor hustlers..

Indians in Nigeria are big business men with heavy investments..

If we play the deporting game, na them go lose o!!

2 Likes

Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by safarigirl(f): 10:05am On Nov 07, 2013
A bunch of ignorant mofos are posting tribalistic comments, but the nincompoop mods let it slide cuz it's not about their people. Just a quick reminder, that Adebolajo that went about hacking people to death on the streets of London like a deranged psychopath did NOT come from East of the Niger, neither did the other illiterate that got us on the US terrorism list after trying to blow up his blokos as a Christmas gift. Better a useless reputation in racist, 3rd world India that I can never find myself in, than countries that are more civilised

19 Likes

Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by nerodenero: 10:06am On Nov 07, 2013
geeez: It's time we allowed these people create their own country so the billboards will be appropriately captioned
grin grin grin
Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by opylas(m): 10:11am On Nov 07, 2013
KwoiZabo: I wonder the tribe that made us win the African cup of nations
I wonder the tribe that produced the person that led to the cancelation of our foreign debt
I love that tribe
God bless you

8 Likes

Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by Nobody: 10:11am On Nov 07, 2013
Donalð Genes: Wtf! I wonder which tribe in Nigeria is putting us in such a bad spotlight? Na waooo all because of money some people will wanna soil our image and now the whole Nigerians will be paying the price for their illicit business

You are a disgrace if you an adult

3 Likes

Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by cluewebhost(m): 10:11am On Nov 07, 2013
Indians have always hated nigerians.
I know what my friend applying for an indian visa went through
We are the ones who go abroad to spoil our reputations.
Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by Abbey2sam(m): 10:13am On Nov 07, 2013

E go pass ibos (igbos)
Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by Nobody: 10:14am On Nov 07, 2013
This forum is f**ked up.

1 Like

Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by Nobody: 10:15am On Nov 07, 2013
KwoiZabo: I wonder the tribe that made us win the African cup of nations
I love that tribe

GODBLESS YOU BRO..1000000 LIKES

10 Likes

Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by DukeNija(m): 10:16am On Nov 07, 2013
shymexx:

Lmao...are you sure you want to go to war with a country that has tens of nuclear warheads and ICBM? grin

Topic:

Even Jamaicans and Colombians don't have this type of rep.

Very sad. undecided

Because they stay in their own facking country!! angry
Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by skyscraperTM(m): 10:17am On Nov 07, 2013
Is this a result of Racism or what?

What's the Nigeria Embassy in Indian saying concerning this ish?

WE DEMAND AN APOLOGY OR ELSE!! ??!
Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by opylas(m): 10:17am On Nov 07, 2013
Promhize:

You are a disgrace if you an adult
& one who needs to grow up real fast if a child

1 Like

Re: Anti-Nigerian Billboards In Goa, India by Nobody: 10:17am On Nov 07, 2013
Hmm.
I don't go to India, so they can hate all they want.
Mtchewwwwwwwwwwwwww

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Running From Thailand Police Dies After Car Knocked Him Down / Nigerian Sudying In Dubai What Do You Think / A Pastor Survived This Ghastly Motor Accident In Benue State. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.