Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,568 members, 7,801,619 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

MEMORABLE EVENTS...( Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / MEMORABLE EVENTS...( Short Story) (640 Views)

Memorable Stories From English Secondary School Textbooks!!!! / Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! / The Most Memorable Book You Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

MEMORABLE EVENTS...( Short Story) by Nobody: 1:41pm On Nov 07, 2013
Boom!!! 'I woke up with a start'. What could that awful loud noise have been? Why did my awakening have to be with so much discomfort every time?! 'Oh well' I thought to myself. I better get up and face my chores for the day. I got out of bed without much enthusiasm, my head was throbbing from the loud noise that woke me up. I changed into a t-shirt I now used only for house work and an old wrapper. I said a quick prayer and went into the kitchen to get my buckets for water.
The community well was buzzing with activity as usual. So many people had come out to fetch water before me. The taps were not even working because of burst pipes and I don't even want to talk about the borehole. I obviously had to wait my turn at the well.
Gossip was going round the girls who were fetching water. There was so much intensity in the news they were passing to each other and nodding like old women. What ever it was they were talking about, felt like something I should hear but I wasn't really in the mood so I decided to wait quietly. I sat on a colvet near the well, not very far from the girls and since I was not really occupied with anything, I began to pick up a few words from what they were saying.''I don't understand why such things happen'' one of the girls said with a worried sigh. ''People are really depressed ooo'' another one said as she pulled the water out of the well like she was trained to do it. "......but I cant even..... Killing myself" came another girls inaudible voice. Even though I did not really hear what she said the part of killing ones self got my attention and now I was all ears. ' What are you all talking about?' I asked. One of the girls who looked as if she had been waiting for me to ask turned and said "didn't you hear the loud noise this morning? Or were you fast asleep?!' I nodded 'yes I did. What was it?' "Well the rich man who lives very close to this estate shot himself this morning" another girl replied as she poured water into a bucket that looked as if it would never get full.
I turned away from the girls but my mind remained on the ghastly news I had just heard. Though it was non of my business I wondered what troubled the man so deeply that only death could solve. Yes! Living on earth is a beautiful thing but as there are thorns on a rose so does life have its hard times. We have no choice but to go through these hard times and pray that things get better. But when you see that things are not really changing they could even get worst! What do we do then? Do we keep on praying?, do we give up? Or do we just let go by killing ourselves? Hmmm well however we choose to make the pain go, there is an outcome. I believe that all bad things pass. No matter how slow it goes, the pain must end and new life will begin....
"Hey hey are you dreaming?" A girl tapped me looking a bit confused. "No o am not ehhh are you through?' "Yes you can come and fetch now". 'Thanks' I said as I got up. I walked to d side of the well, I felt a bit dizzy, I picked up the bucket tied to a rope that they were using to draw the water and I threw it into the well. The thick rope got tangled around my left foot and dragged me along with the iron bucket tied to it. I screamed...
....... Oh Jesus! I woke up with a start. I sat up on my bed and wiped the sweat off my fore head "Why do I always have to wake up to so much discomfort' I muttered as I walked to the kitchen to get my buckets.
Check out http://pentasticsione..com and like my facebookpage https:///tLAkEoDJ0O BE INSPIRED!!!

(1) (Reply)

Can You Transform Your Short Stories Into Audio Dramas In 15 Minutes Or Less? / New Year Greetings Wallpapers / ISIKA, The Woman With A Strange Mind

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.