Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,864 members, 7,806,455 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:48 PM

Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath (34686 Views)

8 Things You Need To Know If You Have Multiple Sex Partners / Why Do Luth Dr, Nurses, Interns Have Bad Attitudes? / Why Do Most Nigerian Men Have Bad Body Odour? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by damselsdezire(f): 8:11am On Nov 13, 2013
The problem is that most ppl dnt knw ow to wash their mouth well. Not jst washing ur teeth only, but washing d teeth well (underneath ur teeth as well) and also washing/brushing ur tongue well to ur throat with a very gud mouth wash, u'll experience a fresh breath all day long.(D tongue is meant to b pink, even though some ppl dnt av a very pink tongue but it shouldn't b very white).
Mobsync: Lick your wrist with your tongue in just one swipe

Then, leave the wrist to dry (this takes only a few seconds)

After your wrist has dried, smell it. Any smell it gives off is the smell of your mouth and breath.

What is bad breath?

Bad breath, also known as halitosis, fetor oris, ozostomia or stomatodysodia is an unpleasant smell that is given off from the nose or mouth of an individual when he or she breathes or speaks.
Causes of bad breath

(1) Types of food or drinks ingested: Foods with strong odours like onions and garlic; exotic spices like curry, thyme and cinnamon and beverages like coffee, when ingested and digested, are absorbed into the bloodstream from where they enter the lungs and are expelled when breathing. And unfortunately, even after brushing and flossing, their smell doesn't go away unless they've completely passed through the blood system.

(2) Poor dental hygiene: Improper cleaning of dentures (artificial teeth) and failure to (properly) brush, floss and tongue scrape daily causes food particles to remain between the teeth, gums and on the tongue which causes bad breath.

(3) Use of depressants and stimulants: Depressants and stimulants like tobacco (smoked, chewed or sniffed) and alcohol enter the bloodstream from where they make their way to the lungs and are also expelled when breathing.

(4) Health problems: Health problems like gum disease, candidiasis (yeast infection), xerostomia (dry mouth which can be caused by continuous breathing through the mouth), diabetes, pneumonia, sore throat, and Gastro Esophageal Reflex Disease (GEAD) which is the backflow of acid from the stomach to the mouth and also, damaged internal organs like the liver and kidney release toxins which are expelled through the nose and mouth and cause bad breath.

(5) Lack of carbohydrate: High protein and low carbohydrate consumption causes the body to burn stored fats for fuel and leads to a condition known as ketosis because as fat burns, ketones are built up in the body and are released through breathing.

Treatment of bad breath

Make sure you brush, floss and tongue scrape at least twice daily (see image below). Tongue scrapers are sold in pharmacies but if you can't get one, use a teaspoon.

Drink plenty of fluids especially water so as to prevent saliva imbalance which causes dry mouth.
Quit the use of tobacco and alcohol.
Limit spicy foods, coffee and other foods with strong odours.
Take more of wholegrain carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables.
Take tea, as polyphenol present in tea plant helps hinder bacteria growth.
Take sugarless gums as they contain xylotol which kills bacteria and reduces plague but note that the use of gums, mints and mouthwash only stop bad breath temporarily.
Finally, you might need to consult your dentist or doctor as the bad breath could be due to health factor.

Source
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by xacarrier(m): 8:29am On Nov 13, 2013
If dats d test for bad breath, we all av bad breath[color=#006600][/color][i][/i]
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by zoedicus: 8:50am On Nov 13, 2013
Phder: I don't know how true the test is, but I expect saliva to smell (after exposure); bad breath or not.
--------------------------------
How to really test for bad breath?

Make a cup with your hands, just like when you're about to take bread during holy communion service in church, place your hands in such a way that it covers your nose and mouth, then exhale(through your mouth). You will be able to perceive your breath, the same way others perceive it.

I've done this several times, before an important interaction, just to avoid embarrassment and the results are good. cheesy cheesy cheesy
uhm, nice one. but na u sabi d crossed sentence. . . afterall, even if its smells horribly, u no go come here to say ur mouth dey smell
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by Waspy(m): 9:19am On Nov 13, 2013
k.style:
I knw 1 chick i swear her mouth smells lyk dead horse...maybe she shld c dis...my own dey scent lyk inside new range rover sport....d trick 2 cure mouth odour is 2 brush twice a day,use ur mouthwash(listerine is d best)...den sleep wit chewing gum...criously i usually sleep wit gum in my mouth n wen i wake,i neva xperience dat offenive early morning stench....
Sleeping with gum? Is your breath that bad? Thats dangerous o, you might choke on it
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by forkadict(m): 11:35am On Nov 13, 2013
freda506: you know you have mouth odour when

-u win arguements easily
-wen u go separate fights d 2 fighters dey quickly surrender
-no 1 wants 2 hold ur hands while praying in church
-u r 25 nd no girl wants 2 b ur babe
cool

Or when you are in church and your pastors asks you to turn to your neighbour and tell him something. If your neighbour turns to you the first time and refuses to turn to you subsequently, then know that your breath na DIE!!!!
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by Thebrightest(m): 12:42pm On Nov 13, 2013
Please what about VAG!NA ODOUR? My girlfriend Vag!na smells alot.
Pls help!
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by fabulousdame(f): 1:55pm On Nov 13, 2013
booqee: perceive. Don't thank me dear. Thank God
jeez gurl...ur signature is really funny, cant stop lafing
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by Gudsyd(f): 5:27pm On Nov 13, 2013
Thanks @ op.
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by kolamilan(m): 6:50pm On Nov 13, 2013
vivichocs: Some ppl that try it and it smells will be like, op u dey craze grin grin
Including you grin
Re: Simple Way To Know If You Have Bad Breath by toygod2: 1:11am On Dec 18, 2013
me likey

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Please Help, My Eye Is Swollen / Photos: Meet The Medical Team That Kept Ebola Away From Nigerians / 16 Amazing Health Benefits Of Cucumber

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.