Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,721 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:02 PM

Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark (20528 Views)

See The Different Headlines In Today's Sun Newspaper / Oluwole Awolowo Is Dead? / Pictures Of Developments in Akwa Ibom State (uncommon Transformation) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by nagoma(m): 4:58am On Nov 10, 2013
CyberG:
Katz, can you please ignore this kind of character, as annoying as his type may be? Asking or expecting him to explain a "context" when he is merely looking for any excuse to display his hatred only gives him even more of a platform. Let him write what he thinks, Ojukwu wrote his and never wrote a re-joinder to talk about the "context" and we the readers and witnesses will judge for ourselves!

Context may actually be important . Funeral speeches by tradition eulogise the dead." You don't speak Ill of the dead" is almost a rule and in Nigeria even sworn enemies stick to only what is good at funerals. We have seen it at Ojukwu's funeral as well. These tongue in cheek speeches delivered at funerals by friends and foes alike cannot be the yardstick for individual's assessment. Many funeral speeches are the expression of magnanimity in what is seen as a final victory.

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by Katsumoto: 7:10am On Nov 10, 2013
nagoma:

Context may actually be important . Funeral speeches by tradition eulogise the dead." You don't speak Ill of the dead" is almost a rule and in Nigeria even sworn enemies stick to only what is good at funerals. We have seen it at Ojukwu's funeral as well. These tongue in cheek speeches delivered at funerals by friends and foes alike cannot be the yardstick for individual's assessment. Many funeral speeches are the expression of magnanimity in what is seen as a final victory.

Sometimes I wonder whether some of you take the time to read AND comprehend posts that you choose to offer an opinion on/about. Do you know the difference between an eulogy delivered graveside and a non-fiction book?

Ojukwu made a statement at Awo's death. If he wanted others to believe he was being sarcastic or just being pleasant, he would not need to make reference to it again. But Ojukwu later wrote a book in which provided clarity to his earlier words. Are you folks now Ojukwu that you know he was thinking differently to what he wrote? Is the idea of describing Awo as the best president Nigeria never had so preposterous that you lot need to get into seance so as to ask Ojukwu's spirit what he meant? Was what Ojukwu said any different to what Lennox-Boyd (British Secretary of State for the Colonies) said about Awo's governance in 1957? Did Harold McMillan (British PM at Nigeria's independence) not state that Awo fit enough to be British PM? Or did McMillan and Lennox-Boyd make their comments after Awo died as well?

What really makes people to make illogical comments on NL? Is it ethnic bigotry or just plain daftness?

13 Likes

Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by Nobody: 7:29am On Nov 10, 2013
Katsumoto:

Sometimes I wonder whether some of you take the time to read AND comprehend posts that you choose to offer an opinion on/about. Do you know the difference between an eulogy delivered graveside and a non-fiction book?

Ojukwu made a statement at Awo's death. If he wanted others to believe he was being sarcastic or just being pleasant, he would not need to make reference to it again. But Ojukwu later wrote a book in which provided clarity to his earlier words. Are you folks now Ojukwu that you know he was thinking differently to what he wrote? Is the idea of describing Awo as the best president Nigeria never had so preposterous that you lot need to get into seance so as to ask Ojukwu's spirit what he meant? Was what Ojukwu said any different to what Lennox-Boyd (British Secretary of State for the Colonies) said about Awo's governance in 1957? Did Harold McMillan (British PM at Nigeria's independence) not state that Awo fit enough to be British PM? Or did McMillan and Lennox-Boyd make their comments after Awo died as well?

What really makes people to make illogical comments on NL? Is it ethnic bigotry or just plain daftness?

Ethnic bigotry play a large role...but Nagoma can't really fall into such category. I will attribute his own to a willingness to debate it out and get more informed.
Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by nagoma(m): 8:45am On Nov 10, 2013
Katsumoto:

I will ignore that.
Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by ddeola: 2:37pm On Nov 10, 2013
Unfortunately, the present leaders are not concerned about the future. They are busy enriching themselves and their family members, some are even trying to make their states a family property.

This table will surely turn and we will be blessed with visionary leaders like Awo again no be all these "THIEVES"
Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 10, 2013
hercules07:

Lagos is an investor hub because of nature and the people, they have provided an environment for those who are willing to do legitimate business to do so and reap the fruits of their labor, the Western government played a big role in this by the establishment of the industrial estate, the people are welcoming and have a positive attitude, you guys can try to replicate the same in the East, it will not detract from the progress of Lagos and the SW, live and let live.
I guess yorubas don't live in the shanties named ado ekiti,abeokuta, ibadan,oshogbo,akUre;that's y Most cities in the south look better than them.
I also guess from the post above that lagos is no longer a cosmopolitan city.
Left for yorubas alone , lagos will just be another ibadan_ the biggest slum in africa

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by Shakiratuu: 2:56pm On Nov 10, 2013
ngozievergreen:
I guess yorubas don't live in the shanties named ado ekiti,abeokuta, ibadan,oshogbo,akUre;that's y Most cities in the south look better than them.
Left for yorubas alone , lagos will just be another ibadan_ the biggest slum in africa

Carry your bad market waka abeg.

Intellectuals(bar omonakonda) dey talk this agbalumo seller sef dey put mouth.

Abegi scram!

5 Likes

Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by CyberG: 3:13pm On Nov 10, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Will you and your people support regionalism because it is clear that until Yorubas and Ibos moderate the over-familiarity, both sides will continue this back and forth. I would have preferred sovereign countries but from the tone of the current leadership of Nigeria, the ideas about this conference (if true) and a corrupt elite that will not allow their cash cows to go in peace to form independent countries, the next best thing is regional governments like practiced before Ironsi killed it with his decree 34 and instituted Unitary government.

A regional government will surely engender the type of healthy competitiveness that Nigeria needs in its federating units in order to lift the country up. As a secondary benefit, constituents can really be recognized by superior administration and policy actions leading to better economies and a better life and then we will see what Yorubas and Ibos can do by themselves. Will Ibos support regionalism??
Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by Katsumoto: 3:59pm On Nov 10, 2013
nagoma:

I will ignore that.

Nagoma

I apologize if you are offended by the tone of that post.

There is no bad blood between us.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by omonnakoda: 4:43pm On Nov 10, 2013
Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by CyberG: 5:09pm On Nov 10, 2013
Why isn't Ngozi and other Ibos responding to my question? If Ibos are not able to stay by themselves as a region controlling all their resources, how will they logically except to thrive in their own country (if it happens?)??
Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by nagoma(m): 7:19pm On Nov 10, 2013
Katsumoto:
Nagoma
I apologize if you are offended by the tone of that post.
There is no bad blood between us.

Noted
Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by nex(m): 7:58pm On Nov 10, 2013
Why does no one say that Awolowo is responsible for the situation the country is in today?

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by naijaking1: 8:30pm On Nov 10, 2013
nagoma:

The first time we have ever agreed on anything!
Maybe because this is quite basic, or simply very academical that it needs no dispute.
Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by naijaking1: 8:47pm On Nov 10, 2013
Katsumoto:

Oga, sorry-o, no vex.
I can understand your irritation. Transforming from a nationally reputable scholar to a petty tribalistic entity, cheered only by fellow tribesmen no dey easy at all!
You did not quote Lennox-Boyd or MacMillan on that passage, but you quoted Ojukwu and made it appear as if those were the only views he had ever expressed about Awo.
Like someone said, it's culturally appropriate to show magnanimity at funerals, so you can't truly gauge a person's assessment of the dead at the funeral, you have look at the whole picture, sir.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by nduchucks: 9:03pm On Nov 10, 2013
naijaking1:

Oga, sorry-o, no vex.
I can understand your irritation. Transforming from a nationally reputable scholar to a petty tribalistic entity, cheered only by fellow tribesmen no dey easy at all!
You did not quote Lennox-Boyd or MacMillan on that passage, but you quoted Ojukwu and made it appear as if those were the only views he had ever expressed about Awo.
Like someone said, it's culturally appropriate to show magnanimity at funerals, so you can't truly gauge a person's assessment of the dead at the funeral, you have look at the whole picture, sir.

For the sake of some of us who may be ignorant, please tell us what some of the other views expressed by the great Ikemba or provide us with links. The forum has moved beyond made up stories. Thanks.
Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by superstar1(m): 9:12pm On Nov 10, 2013
nex: Why does no one say that Awolowo is responsible for the situation the country is in today?

Simply because he was not responsible.
Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by naijaking1: 9:48pm On Nov 10, 2013
ndu_chucks:

For the sake of some of us who may be ignorant, please tell us what some of the other views expressed by the great Ikemba or provide us with links. The forum has moved beyond made up stories. Thanks.

Dan iska, is that you?
Nagode!
I will in due course!
Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by Smile4luv(m): 10:22pm On Nov 10, 2013
Ayekotoo:
Yorubas agitate through pen, paper and protest not via violence.

He never said the yorubas used violence, read and understand before you begin to raise dust here
Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by nduchucks: 10:38pm On Nov 10, 2013
naijaking1:

Dan iska, is that you?
Nagode!
I will in due course!

nwanne, na me you dey call Dan Iska ko?

I see that your maradonna traits remain intact. One would have thought by now, grey hair and age would have made you change. Anyway, I patiently await the contrary opinion expressed by Ikemba on this Awo issue. BTW, how bodi?
Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by naijaking1: 11:10pm On Nov 10, 2013
ndu_chucks:

I see that your maradonna traits remain intact. One would have thought by now, grey hair and age would have made you change. Anyway, I patiently await the contrary opinion expressed by Ikemba on this Awo issue. BTW, how bodi?

Yaya de?
Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by ACM10: 11:18pm On Nov 10, 2013
So how come Awo in his wisdom decided to single Ojukwu out as lying against him in his 1982 interview? undecided

Did Awo knew what he was talking about?

Some have argued in the past that Awo never spoke without evidence. That is the reason people call him a realist , a sage and a pragmatist. Why the sudden switch?

Remember that Ojukwu called Awo "a funny character" in one of his interviews. wink

Something smells fishy here.
Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by naijaking1: 12:30am On Nov 11, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Mallam, I dey aiki now, but a quick search showed up an interview conducted by Rudolf Okonkwo, where Ojukwu "diplomatically" called Awo funny after his discussion and 'agreement' after he had release Awo from Calabar prison:

OJUKWU: We’ve said this over and over again, so many times, and people don’t understand; they don’t want to actually. If you remember, I released Awolowo from jail. Even that, some people are beginning to contest as well. Awo was in jail in Calabar. Gowon knows and the whole of the federal establishment knows that at no point was Gowon in charge of the East. The East took orders from me. Now, how could Gowon have released Awolowo who was in Calabar? Because of the fact that I released him, it created quite a lot of rapport between Awo and myself and I know that before he went back to Ikenne, I set up a hotline between Ikenne and my bedroom in Enugu. He tried like an elder statesman to find a solution. Awolowo is a funny one. Don’t forget that the political purpose of the coup, the Ifeajuna coup that began all this, was to hand power over to Awo. We young men respected him a great deal. He was a hero. I thought he was a hero and certainly I received him when I was governor. We talked and he was very vehement when he saw our complaints and he said that if the Igbos were forced out by Nigeria that he would take the Yorubas out also. I don’t know what anybody makes of that statement but it is simple. Whether he did or didn’t, it is too late. There is nothing you can do about it. So, he said this and I must have made some appropriate responses too. But it didn’t quite work out the way that we both thought. Awolowo, evidently, had a constant review of the Yoruba situation and took different path. That’s it. I don’t blame him for it. I have never done.

http://saharareporters.com/column/my-last-interview-dim-chukwuemeka-ojukwu-rudolf-okonkwo

While Ojukwu was restrained in calling Awolowo the funny one in this article, his aides(like Achuzie, et al) and other Igbo politicians were not so restrained, they called him a traitor, a coward, and all sorts of names(rightly or wrongly). They stated that for the second time in his life he had place his tribal interest above the nations long term interest.

As a major in the classics, some people even postulated that what Ojukwu meant when he said that Awo was the best president Nigeria never had, was that Ojukwu was indirectly saying "Thank God that such a traitor as Awo never had an opportunity to rule the country"
Everybody knows Ojukwu played with words, and he even tried to re-state his adoration for Awo as an ode, but his friends all over the World knew what he meant.

So while we adore, Awo, Ojukwu, Sarduana, Zik, and others, lets honestly do it in the true contex of their speeches.

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by ihatesycophant(m): 10:13am On Nov 11, 2013
Mr. Clark, Papa Awol never for once try to divide the nation either through tribalism or ethnicity. May his soul rest in peace. But today your actions and inactions has portrayed you as a tribalist person via your words always. Well, lately I don't know who causion you, some months back you almost set each ethnic groups against each other and north against the almighty south. We should always remember that political position is transit and not static. It is what you do today that people will speak about you tomorrow. Now you're telling us today that the development in south-west today began from somebody, what will people remember you for? Trying to disintegrate the nation called Nigeria when you have the power to make it more viable and stronger. I remember, Awol did not build university to affect lives but you're planning to build university to affect who? only the rich. because after building it the poor will not be able to access it with their little penny. Use your time wisely my broda and sista!
Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by Nobody: 11:32am On Nov 11, 2013
CyberG:

Will you and your people support regionalism because it is clear that until Yorubas and Ibos moderate the over-familiarity, both sides will continue this back and forth. I would have preferred sovereign countries but from the tone of the current leadership of Nigeria, the ideas about this conference (if true) and a corrupt elite that will not allow their cash cows to go in peace to form independent countries, the next best thing is regional governments like practiced before Ironsi killed it with his decree 34 and instituted Unitary government.

A regional government will surely engender the type of healthy competitiveness that Nigeria needs in its federating units in order to lift the country up. As a secondary benefit, constituents can really be recognized by superior administration and policy actions leading to better economies and a better life and then we will see what Yorubas and Ibos can do by themselves. Will Ibos support regionalism??

who told u igbos do not support regionalism.
That they prefer outright secession does it mean they don't support it?
And leave ironsi out of this, ironsi has died, 43 yrs ago for that matter.
Wonder what has prevented all of u from reverting to what ever is the ideal.
Hausa/Fulani//MB/Yoruba/Ijaw have all ruled the nation, yet nobody changed to regionalism, y would u want to blame ironsi that died 43 yrs ago for the absence of regionalism.
U ppl are not serious yet.
OBJ ruled naija twice but he didn't do it, is he not Yoruba?
Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by nduchucks: 12:02pm On Nov 11, 2013
naijaking1:

As a major in the classics, some people even postulated that what Ojukwu meant when he said that Awo was the best president Nigeria never had, was that Ojukwu was indirectly saying "Thank God that such a traitor as Awo never had an opportunity to rule the country"
Everybody knows Ojukwu played with words, and he even tried to re-state his adoration for Awo as an ode, but his friends all over the World knew what he meant.

So while we adore, Awo, Ojukwu, Sarduana, Zik, and others, lets honestly do it in the true contex of their speeches.

Frankly I think your take on Ikemba's view on Awolowo is more accurate than what was expressed in Ikemba's book. The fact that Awolowo reneged on his 'promise' to Ojukwu is a major reason why many Igbos label Awo as a traitor and some have extented that label to all Yorubas for that matter. Ikemba's aides have stated this view uncountable number of times while the Ikemba never saw it fit to call them to order if they were wrong. There have been numerous times when Ikemba did just that, i.e. issues statements to correct some of his aides when they made 'inflamatory' remarks.

As far as what Katsumoto referenced from Ikemba's book, I have to agree that context explains it, but I don't buy the eulogy explanation. My explanation will have a jocular perspective. You see, not a single ofe mmanu intellectual will keep Ikemba's book in his library, if it contains derogative statements about Awolowo. The inclusion of the text referenced by Kats was advised by a marketing ploy to get our brothers from another mother to buy the book. smiley

You have to watch these people, Igbo people will selll a bald man shampoo if care is not taken, they are Israelis. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by naijaking1: 12:29pm On Nov 11, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Frankly I think your take on Ikemba's view on Awolowo is more accurate than what was expressed in Ikemba's book. The fact that Awolowo reneged on his 'promise' to Ojukwu is a major reason why many Igbos label Awo as a traitor and some have extented that label to all Yorubas for that matter. Ikemba's aides have stated this view uncountable number of times while the Ikemba never saw it fit to call them to order if they were wrong. There have been numerous times when Ikemba did just that, i.e. issues statements to correct some of his aides when they made 'inflamatory' remarks.

As far as what Katsumoto referenced from Ikemba's book, I have to agree that context explains it, but I don't buy the eulogy explanation. My explanation will have a jocular perspective. You see, not a single ofe mmanu intellectual will keep Ikemba's book in his library, if it contains derogative statements about Awolowo. The inclusion of the text referenced by Kats was advised by a marketing ploy to get our brothers from another mother to buy the book. smiley

You have to watch these people, Igbo people will selll a bald man shampoo if care is not taken, they are Israelis. cheesy

Thanks, I need that laugh to wake from this long call tonight!!
You maybe right, the amazon price for that Ojukwu's book is almost $600! Kai, more expensive that my operative anatomy book!

On a serious note, it is sad when we label every Yoruba based on what one person(awo) did or did not do. Also, the foolishness of labeling all Igbos based on what Zik, Nzeogwu, Ojukwu, and others did is primitive, illogical, and devoid of any reason whatsoever!

Just like many people I know, Yoruba people have touched my life in very positive ways beyond word, and I can't even imagine a life without Yorubas on this earth. We should avoid the lazy way of thinking which is to over generalize, it leads to bigotry.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by Nobody: 1:16pm On Nov 11, 2013
ndu_chucks:

I don't blame u...
An Igbo man can sell a bald man shampoo if care is not taken, u forgot to tell d world abt how dz same Igbo man's properties were declared abandoned properties,u forgot to tell d world abt how every Igbo man dat regardless of how much he had in his account was given 20pounds to start life with, u forgot to tell d world abt how dz same Igbo man has been marginalised since 1970 till 1999, u forgot to tell d world abt how der re some positions an Igbo man cud neva have attained if not for GEJ's intervention, u forgot to tell the world abt y out of d 6geopolitical zones d Igbo part receives d lowest allocation, u forgot to tell d world abt how out of d 6geopolitical zones its only in d Igbo area's dat d only federal presence u cud see was prison.
Don't make me insult u...

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by nduchucks: 1:28pm On Nov 11, 2013
lygn19:
I don't blame u...
An Igbo man can sell a bald man shampoo if care is not taken, Don't make me insult u...

Oga, take a chill pill!! You don't even recognize compliments, mumu.
Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by Nobody: 1:35pm On Nov 11, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Oga, take a chill pill!! You don't even recognize compliments, mumu.
U must be very stup.id ... If u re looking for ppl to compliment go and do it with ur suicide bombers in the north east,,,FOOL

1 Like

Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by khamas19: 3:15pm On Nov 11, 2013
...i believe our system is way more unitary than anything else...

..i think the federal exclusion list is a good pointer to that fact..

..any takers?
Re: Awolowo Is Responsible For The Developments In Today's Western States - Clark by Katsumoto: 5:40pm On Nov 11, 2013
ndu_chucks:

1. Quit trying to start fires. What promise did Awo make to Ojukwu? Please furnish us with the details about this promise

2. You stated the Ojukwu never called his aides to other and then subsequently stated that he did. Which is it?

3. Ojukwu was the principal actor in that war, he didn't need to butter up Awo to sell his book. Any serious historian or history student would have borrowed/bought it to read his views.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

June 12: You’ve declared 1993 election result, Falana tells Buhari / Zainab Ahmed Visits Hameed Ibrahim Ali, Customs Boss (Photos) / Peter Obi Congratulates Other Diana Award Winners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.