Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,257 members, 7,807,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:43 PM

World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat - Entertainment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat (13538 Views)

(photos) Incredible Weight Loss Story Of A Woman Who Weighs 1,028 Pounds / Sad Story Of The Thinnest Woman In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by SlyIg(f): 4:31pm On Nov 09, 2013
World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 kg, Has To Eat Every 20 Minutes (PHOTOS)
United States – At just 5ft 2″ (1.58m) tall and weighing a little over 27 kg, Lizzie Velasquez, 24, appears worryingly thin at first glance. But her tiny frame wasn’t caused by an eating disorder. Instead, it is the result of a syndrome so rare that it is shared by very few other people in the world.

Her condition means that try as she might, Lizzie, from Austin in Texas, finds it impossible togain weight or store fat, and as a result, she’s forced to eat up to 60 small meals a day.

Despite the challenges, the courageous 24-year-old insists she wouldn’t change a thing about herself and, instead, throws herself into her work as a motivational speaker and anti-bullying campaigner.

“I would never, ever change my appearance, even if I could,” she says. “It’s taken me so many years to accept who I am and like the person that I see in the mirror so I would never change it just to “fit in”.”

But despite her bravery, the condition, which is yet to be fully diagnosed and named, casts a shadow over her life, not least because most of the people who suffer from the syndrome die in childhood.

Her doctor says: “Lizzie is one of the very few people in the world to have this condition. Sufferers have very little muscle mass, their limbs look very thin, spindly, and many of these people, they die very early in life. Other children with this have had very different experiences. Lizzie is 24 right now so she has beaten these odds.”

Because of the illness, Lizzie has already lost the sight in her right eye and has limited use of the other. Nevertheless, she has refused to allow that to stop her and has penned two best-selling books, and works as a motivational speaker doing up to 200 talks a year.

“My parents raised me to be completely normal. They never told me I was different,” she narrates. “The only thing is that I was smaller than the other kids but I was just like them. As I got older, I became more aware of why people were staring at me and I started getting really angry.

“I hated the fact that none of these kids wanted to get to know me. In my mind, I’m just like them and I would never tell my parents I was being bullied so my way of coping with it is when I would take a bath and nobody was in the room with me, and that’s when I would cry.”

Once, she saw a photo of herself on the Internet with a caption ‘The Ugliest Woman In The World’.

“I felt like somebody was putting their hand through the computer screen and punching me over and over,” she says. “There were thousands and thousands of comments. The first one said: “I just threw up over my keyboard. You’re gross.” The second, “eww, kill it with fire, now”. Others asked why my parents didn’t abort me because I’m so ugly. Can you imagine that?”

Despite the vile comments, Lizzie says she has no fear of bullies anymore and if she were to meet one in future, her response would be: ‘I won’.

For now, she’s concentrating on the future and the anti-bullying charity she hopes to set up.

“My dreams for the future are continuing to help others,” she explains. “I want to create an anti-bulling company. Something for kids and adults and teenagers who are struggling and so far, my dreams have come true.”

1 Like

Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by DonColz1(m): 4:38pm On Nov 09, 2013
What a thin young lady!!!
Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by Nomski0(f): 5:50pm On Nov 09, 2013
Stick figure things. She should be scouted for modelling.
Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by ignis: 6:13pm On Nov 09, 2013
Nomski0: Stick figure things. She should be scouted for modelling.
Is she that thin?
Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by Ignatio(m): 7:31pm On Nov 09, 2013
I bet You this young lady is far better than most of You mocking her.

3 Likes

Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by KweenAdz(f): 7:59pm On Nov 09, 2013
Eeeh ya.. She's rily brave.. I love her..
Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by Biim: 8:06pm On Nov 09, 2013
Well she is beautiful in the eyes of her creator.
Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by s3nn2x(m): 8:29pm On Nov 09, 2013
Owww!
What a touching story.

I bet, there are people out there who would give anything in the world to be in her position.

Check out, the ability to eat anything, anytime without worrying about adding weight.

But...I doubt anyone would want to look like this.

The girl is really brave sha, people can be cruel.

I wonder if she is dating anyone.
Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by Nobody: 8:47pm On Nov 09, 2013
My respect goes to the parents. They've done a great job of raising her and making her have a good self-esteem.
Definitely not easy raising a kid like that.

An average Nigerian parent would blame all the non-existent witches in the village and carry the girl from one church to another, with the girl also growing up to think that she's a curse to the world.

3 Likes

Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by richgang(m): 9:19pm On Nov 09, 2013
God bless you , bless your generation , God will make you always happy and you wont die an untimely death, In Jesus Name ,,,,,,,,,,AMEN

2 Likes

Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by IAMBREEZY: 9:36pm On Nov 09, 2013
She looks sick.

1 Like

Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by Jeezyy(m): 9:39pm On Nov 09, 2013
I thought we have treated this topic before?

1 Like

Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by Cherish20(f): 9:48pm On Nov 09, 2013
To her critics... You can say whatever you want to say, as you can see, she doesn't give a f**k

To all our girls (fatie bom bom) who are ready to go to any length to get slim...i hope you will now learn how to appreciate your God given body

@topic: May God give her the grace to fulfil her heart desire and achieve her ambition
Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by oyedun82(m): 10:00pm On Nov 09, 2013
Una don start dis una rubbish
Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by waleadex(m): 10:17pm On Nov 09, 2013
Allah alone is the All-knowing,the Most-merciful...I am indeed touched!

1 Like

Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by fr3do(m): 10:25pm On Nov 09, 2013
and can we know the name of this syndrome!
undecided
Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by gluv01(f): 10:28pm On Nov 09, 2013
And why was my post hiddedn? Coz i said rather than insulting, you can make her feel better by typing nicely

1 Like

Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by kekakuz(m): 10:58pm On Nov 09, 2013
isnt she the cutest and finest tin my eyes has ever seen

damn am in love
Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by celebgistnet: 11:42pm On Nov 09, 2013
wow that is wowful, but seriously is this a celebrity news/gist/topic. I think there should be a category for oddities
Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by IAMBREEZY: 9:48am On Nov 10, 2013
And don't you think the mod will hide this one again.
gluv01: And why was my post hiddedn? Coz i said rather than insulting, you can make her feel better by typing nicely
Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by Nobody: 11:24am On Nov 10, 2013
omg! see person pikin o
Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by gluv01(f): 12:29pm On Nov 10, 2013
IAMBREEZY: And don't you think the mod will hide this one again.

Then it shows abuse of powers. What rule did i break? What was wrong about that? It is obvious that she is thin and not as beautiful as we think, someone called her ugly and thin, and with a smiling emoticon I quoted him and told him to type nicely. You don't need to remind her that she is thin and ugly even though she's not present here.

1 Like

Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by braine(m): 12:45pm On Nov 10, 2013
Why was my post hidden?? That's very wrong• I shouldn't even be getting notifications• I'm sure the Mod who hid my post is like this thin woman• grin ¤Unfollows thread¤
Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by chukxie(m): 4:45pm On Nov 10, 2013
IAMBREEZY: She looks sick.

Didn't the article say she has a very rare illness? Some people are sha !
Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by nex(m): 9:18pm On Nov 10, 2013
I just don't understand how they measured her bravery, or what instrument they used. She's quite skinny, and also not very comely, but I've seen a lot of young and very brave little girls in Nigeria who have to work in the dangerous streets of Lagos to fend for their siblings and parents too. I simply can't agree that this fellow is the bravest in the world just because she was insulted. She is not.
Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by iykebest1(m): 1:38pm On Jul 11, 2015
So motivating. This is the kind of story we need on front page. Lalasticlala I trust you naa..
Re: World’s Thinnest And Bravest Person? Meet Girl, 24, Who Weighs 27 Kg, Has To Eat by sunx190(m): 4:23pm On Aug 14, 2015
There is a tinner someone in naija. A begger @ abule egba bustop lagos, y cant him enter d guiness book of record, all 4 d white.

(1) (2) (Reply)

…man Turn His Face To Dog Face With Plastic Surgery (photos) / Wizkid Gives N500,000 Each To 3 Students At The Pepsi Campus Music Challenge / Shocking News: Our Actress Joke Silver Is In Comma!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.