Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,393 members, 7,781,127 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:26 AM

To You Who Do Not Think - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / To You Who Do Not Think (976 Views)

Just Because I Have bosoms Does NOT Make Me Your Secretary! / I Don't Want To Be A Doctor The Words Nigerian Parent Does Not Want To Hear / Is There A Career In Today's World That Does Not Need Basic Computer Skills? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To You Who Do Not Think by chatom143: 5:30am On Nov 10, 2013
Ours is a fickle generation. If you are a millennial, born around the mid to late 1980’s, to you, this refers. You turn a languid nose to matters of consequence even when they rub very close to home. You live for right now, not giving concise, clear thought to what the next rising of the sun will bring. “You Only Live Once” is your mantra, made ubiquitous and riotously popular by a song of the same title by American rapper, Drake. You thrive on trends, are excited, titillated even by the latest fashions, music and other elements of pop culture. You exchange frenziedly-typed Whatsapp, BBM, i-Messagesabout same with others of your ilk. These topics dominate your armchair conversations. You are an adept surfer on the wave of these social media, on which you spend the lion’s share of your time. You and your ilk do not use these platforms for anything meaningful. Some come to jest, put down others. For others, it’s a real-time altar for vainglories. A perverse few come to advertise their salaciousness.

I recently witnessed a rare flash of frankness, on one of the most popular social media platforms, micro-blogging site, Twitter. Ironically, it came from an unapologetically offensive albeit morbidly side-splitting profile, @TooMessedUp. Its tweet read, “First, there was
planking, then owling, milking, Harlem shaking and twerking. If the next trend could be thinking, that would be great.” (For those unfamiliar with these curious trends, “Planking” is lying face down game-sometimes in an unusual location for effect- as in mimicking a wooden plank. “Owling” is similar. In this, people pose for pictures crouching like owls, also in an unusual place- the roof, atop a car. I know, stupid right?) This is today’s millennial and his vice, well captured. The daft preoccupation with quite meaningless trends. Why it so, I do not know. I do know it has to stop. If we could busy ourselves with things that matter, as this tweet suggests, wouldn’t we be better?

Currently, thousands of students are sitting idle at home, their education interrupted by yet another strike action. At first, a healthy number lamented this oft-repeated, incapacitating turn of events. Then, a few weeks having passed, many filed it under “One of Those Things” and carried on as though nothing was wrong. A new song? They jostled to download it. An exposed celebrity indiscretion? It became topic du jour. The strike action and the better part of a semester wasted? Crickets. No (intelligent) comment. Would it be taboo, if these students, the mangled grass on which the elephants of the government and representative university body, ASUU, are fighting, the one whose fates hang in precarious balance, be the voice of reason, struck up conversations, forums for a solution, prove to all that they are not mere statistics, that they are sorely affected, their lives unfairly put on hold?

Conversely, earlier this week, Mavin Records C.E.O., Don Jazzy and artiste Wande Coal showed their maturity in a Twitter face-off over the ownership of a song the latter released. At once, the social media site was alight, fiery debates springing up, fans taking sides. The vigour with which arguments and counter-arguments were tradedover the music artistes’ debacle was almost impressive, were it not sadly misplaced. The strike issue, aforementioned, for instance has never enjoyed such attention or aggressive enthusiasm.

This discordant tune has to change. In recent time, we have witnessed how youths in other climes have engaged and applied themselves purposefully. In Egypt, social media (the very same invention for which we apparently have no worthy use for) was used as a weapon to shoot down an oppressive, dictatorial government. Malala Yousafzai, a 16-year-old Pakistani school pupil and education activist is making a strong, globally-followed case for girl child education, a cause for which she was shot and nearly killed and has inspired millions.

Young Nigerian, you, who does not think, these examples should be yours. You are the author of your fate. Do you not realise this? It is most unbecoming that you continue to revel in the side-lines as the play of life goes on. It is most regrettable really that you do not care for matters of state. Politics. Education, heck, the G.D.P. should be your concern! It is inexcusable that all you do is lament and complain but halt at the border of contributing to change. It is unsatisfactory that you busy yourself with mundane, picayune, thoughtless matters! You have to stop, you have to retrace your steps.

Think, young Nigerian, think!

Source: ThisDay Newspapers
Re: To You Who Do Not Think by Nobody: 9:26am On Nov 11, 2013
So what should i do
Re: To You Who Do Not Think by 1forall: 1:41pm On Nov 13, 2013
^^
It's right there in the article, as a matter of fact, it's in the last 2 lines of the post and is quoted below for good measure.

chatom143: You have to stop, you have to retrace your steps. Think, young Nigerian, think!

Do you know what to do now?
Re: To You Who Do Not Think by Nobody: 8:43am On Nov 14, 2013
Stil dnt no wht 2do

guess am clueless ryt nw
Re: To You Who Do Not Think by 1forall: 9:39am On Nov 14, 2013
The answers you seek are right there in the post. You would need to explain what you're unaware of exactly to help us to help you further.

Or can someone who understands please help this dude out?

(1) (Reply)

Distance Education In Universities / Recruitment/replacement 2015/2016 / Get Your Trade Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.