Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,456 members, 7,781,314 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:20 PM

Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? (19688 Views)

Is Victor Moses Overrated? / Victor Oladipo: The Best Nigerian Basketball Prodigy Since Hakeem Olajuwon / Is Victor Moses Better Than Ikechukwu Uche ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Nov 10, 2013
I'm a big basketball fan and I do follow both the NBA and NCAA. I'd say I noticed Victor Oladipo last year during his final year in college. And he was amazing all season long. That eventually paid-off when he was selected 2nd overall during the 2013 NBA draft.

Since Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon, no Nigerian player, or player of Nigerian descent has really made that much noise in the NBA. However, it seems that's going to change soon with Victor Oladipo. Let's do a quick review of all Nigerian players and players of Nigerian descent that have been selected in the first round of the NBA draft since Hakeem Olajuwon.

- Olowokandi: he was selected 1st overall but ended up as a bust.
- Emeka Okafor: selected in the first round. Promising player but his career has been hindered by never ending injuries and he's more or less a role player now.
- Andre Iguodala: selected in the first round. Still a very good player with crazy athleticism and one of the best mid-court defenders in the game. However, he has reached his ceiling.
- Jeff Green: selected in the first round. Starting for Celtics but his career has been hindered by injuries and he hasn't lived up to the hype.
- Aminu: selected in the first round. Starting for New Orleans but he's more or less a role player.
- Udoh: selected in the first round. More or less a role player.

Victor Oladipo seems to be Nigeria's biggest prospect since The Dream. He's currently averaging 13.8 points, four assists, 1.5 blocks and 5.3 rebounds per game. That's pretty solid for a rookie and he looks like the "Rookie of the Year" right now.

However, it's too early to judge what his career would look like when it's all said and done. But he reminds me of T-Mac without a jump-shot. For now, let's all enjoy Oladipo's work ethic (he's a super-duper hard-worker), speed, crazy dunks, freakish athleticism, raw skill-set, and defence awareness. He's still 21 years old.

Keep the flag flying, brother!!!!

And he isn't just a talented basket baller - the guy can sing as well.

Watch him sing here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWsVhAkbzss

7 Likes

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Afam4eva(m): 12:25pm On Nov 10, 2013
I heard he's very good but hope he doesn't end up like Emeka Okafor who was expected to be one of the best but fell short of those expectations.

The guy sure knows how to sing too. He could make a good musician too.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by zopaks: 3:22pm On Nov 10, 2013
Nice to see him doing well. Has he started playing in the NBA proper after being selected 2nd draft?
How about The other Nigerian Guys Ade Tokunbo Giannnis ?
I remember the Canadian guy who was 1st draft pick... is he also doing fine in the NBA?

1 Like

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 10, 2013
Afam4eva: I heard he's very good but hope he doesn't end up like Emeka Okafor who was expected to be one of the best but fell short of those expectations.

Injuries kind of affected Emeka Okafor's career. And perhaps the jinx that follows UCONN players also followed him to the NBA. Ben Gordon also never lived up to the hype. And he's more or less role player.

I think Jalil Okafor is a great prospect. The Sulaimon guy playing for Duke should also be able to have a solid NBA career.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 10, 2013
zopaks: Nice to see him doing well. Has he started playing in the NBA proper after being selected 2nd draft?
How about The other Nigerian Guys Ade Tokunbo Giannnis ?
I remember the Canadian guy who was 1st draft pick... is he also doing fine in the NBA?

He's already averaging 13points, and 6rebounds from the bench. And he's one of the top two rookies atm, with Michael Carter-Williams of the 76ers.

Bucks' pick Giannis Adetokunbo Antetokounmpo isn't getting minutes atm, so I can't really rate him.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Afam4eva(m): 4:08pm On Nov 10, 2013
shymexx:

Injuries kind of affected Emeka Okafor's career. And perhaps the jinx that follows UCONN players also followed him to the NBA. Ben Gordon also never lived up to the hype. And he's more or less role player.

I think Jalil Okafor is a great prospect. The Sulaimon guy playing for Duke should also be able to have a solid NBA career.
Abeg, what's the jinx?

I don't just know what's it with Nigerian players in the NBA. They never really make it big. Since Olajuwon, no Nigerian players has been a major player for their club save for Okafor and Iguodala. But these two are not even up there. The likes of Farouk, Diogu, Azubuike, Oguchi etc are just average players who always get bought for free and they rarely make it to become forces to be reckoned with in their various clubs.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by AyodejiCharles(m): 5:29pm On Nov 10, 2013
Wow! The 21 year old kid is something else i swear. I just watched his personal highlights against Cavaliers(18 pts) and Ginobili's Spurs (22 pts) and the guy finds his way to the basket sooo easily!
I went through some you tube comments and some of these guys are already comparing him to a Dwayne wade if not better than Dwayne in the near future.
I also watched his match up against KD- Kevin Durant and he didn't disappoint
The guy can be the next M.jordan .lol
But definitely if i am to go by the comments from most die hard b/ball fans on youtube, then he is definitely going to be ahead of Dwayne Wade in the nearest future.

Most likely gonna be the Rookie of the year , though i heard of one McClemore. .who is he??
Anyways i know say Vick Oladipo! ...too fast- too smart- too strong- too black- too good-Great Personality = Future All Star Player

Here are the vids below
Kevin Durant Vs Victor Oladipo! #2 Picks Go Head To Head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msX-ygkfFOs
Victor Oladipo 22 points Highlights vs Spurs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoFInNCelAE
Victor Oladipo 18 ptsFull Highlights NBA vs Grizzlies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87BqXxpqZK4

UPDATE!!
The other Nigerian Born Greek 18 year old kid Player called Adetokunbo giannis has played all three gamesfor the Milawukee Bucks.He is the youngest to have played the NBA in many years and one of the youngest ever in NBA history!
See his highlights here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0aPXO2UwLY

3 Likes

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by aremed(m): 6:28pm On Nov 11, 2013
maybe
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by rattlesnake(m): 6:30pm On Nov 11, 2013
Yorubas are too much

7 Likes

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Zumarocket(f): 6:32pm On Nov 11, 2013
pls today is my birthday, say happy b day to me by like

i will realy appreciate

45 Likes

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 11, 2013
Afam4eva:
Abeg, what's the jinx?

I don't just know what's it with Nigerian players in the NBA. They never really make it big. Since Olajuwon, no Nigerian players has been a major player for their club save for Okafor and Iguodala. But these two are not even up there. The likes of Farouk, Diogu, Azubuike, Oguchi etc are just average players who always get bought for free and they rarely make it to become forces to be reckoned with in their various clubs.

Jinx, meaning: I don't really know any UCONN player that made it big in the NBA. More time, they always end up as role players. Coming out of College, Emeka Okafor and Ben Gordon were great prospects. Ben Gordon was alright in Chicago but he has been rubbish since he got traded. Emeka Okafor did have a good run of double doubles, but I don't even know where he's now.

Apart from Diogu - Azubuike and Oguchi were always destined to be role players.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Nov 11, 2013
rattlesnake: Yoruba are too much

Nigerians are too much.

14 Likes

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Lucasbalo(m): 6:35pm On Nov 11, 2013
To be like Hakeem Olajuwon is a big step for any player be he of Nigerian descent or not. Simply Hakeem is one of the best that ever played basketball. Infact, I rate him as one of the best 20 players of all time. Victor Oladipo is a very good college player. I followed him closely at I U and he's going to be a good NBA player but it's too early to start making that comparison.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by pharmow: 6:35pm On Nov 11, 2013
Make Una no tribalize this thread oo

I don't know what the problem is with some Nigerians in Nigeria that everything to them is about my tribe is better than yours undecided.........................Is lack of exposure that causes it angry

Back to Victor talk. The dude has a good prospect with his NBA career. But he needs to work on his defensive skills though.........Wishing him all the best

3 Likes

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by opylas(m): 6:37pm On Nov 11, 2013
rattlesnake: Yoruba are too much
Nigerians are too much

2 Likes

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Nov 11, 2013
The guy has been sorta on and off this season
The one thing I do love about him is that he's playing like it's his 3rd year. I mean he challenges guards, gets a behind the back steal and got mad dribbles

This dunk is much talked about already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL6QEsivlBo

2 Likes

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nikapetrelli(f): 6:38pm On Nov 11, 2013
Make i waka pass,know nothing abt Basket ball

1 Like

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by atlwireles: 6:40pm On Nov 11, 2013
Is he a Nigerian?
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by AZeD1(m): 6:40pm On Nov 11, 2013
Afam4eva: I heard he's very good but hope he doesn't end up like Emeka Okafor who was expected to be one of the best but fell short of those expectations.

Size was Emeka undoing. He's a 6'9 centre which is good for college but in the NBA.... Kevin Durant is a 6'9 small forward.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by CyberG: 6:45pm On Nov 11, 2013
Wish him well! Swagger! grin grin
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Nov 11, 2013
POINT OF CORRECTION
JEFF GREEN IS HAVING A FANTASTIC YEAR SO FAR AND IS LIVING UP TO HIS POTENTIAL
CHECK OUT HIS GAME VS MIAMI HEAT 2 DAYS AGO
VICTOR OLADIPO IS GOOD BUT TO COMPARE HIM WITH HAKEEM IS JUST BALONEY
THEY BOTH PLAY DIFFERENT POSITIONS
HE IS MORE OF A DWAYNE WADE TYPE OF PLAYER
PLUS HAKEEM LED THE ROCKETS TO 2 CHAMPIONSHIPS
I DONT C OLADIPO WINNING ANYTHING NOT WITH THIS ORLANDO TEAM
MAYBE IN THE FUTURE WITH SOME SOLID TEAM MATES BUT NOT NOW
MEANWHILE IF URE TALKING OF ROOKIES RIGHT NOW MICHAEL CARTER WILLIAMS
IS THE ISH RIGHT NOW

1 Like

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by slimthugchimee(m): 6:52pm On Nov 11, 2013
Wetin bash me kwan asif i watch nba mtchwwww abeg front page things
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by mcdokwe(m): 6:54pm On Nov 11, 2013
nba?
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by dridowu: 6:58pm On Nov 11, 2013
I just need to contribute to ds topic
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Nov 11, 2013
Afam4eva:
Abeg, what's the jinx?

MR MAN 4 U TO WEAR A JERSEY OR START A GAME IN THE NBA IS SOMETHING
BECOMING A CHAMPION AND A HALL OF FAMER LIKE OLAJUWON IS ANOTHER THING
THESE GUYS U MENTIONED ARE DECENT PLAYERS AND WERE DRAFTED BASED ON THEIR TALENTS
BUT MAKING IT BIG AND STAYIN ON TOP IN THE NBA NO BE BEANS MAYBE U SHOULD CHECK OUT
THE WAY STARS LIKE KOBE AND MICHAEL JORDAN WORKOUT TO KNOW IT AINT EASY
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by omiobo: 7:00pm On Nov 11, 2013
ogugua88:

Nigerians are too much.
Thank you! Don't mind,he is very silly.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Dahslim(m): 7:00pm On Nov 11, 2013
I don't watch NBA....... I only watch FOOTBALL. I DEY SORRI WELL WELL 4 NO CONTRIBUTION.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 11, 2013
Praise be to God I dreamt when the Moderaror below me just died grin

1 Like

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by BarryX(m): 7:07pm On Nov 11, 2013
Time to reconsider my NBA career prospects --

This Height can't be useless

Where's this beans plate grin

3 Likes

Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by packman: 7:08pm On Nov 11, 2013
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Nov 11, 2013
Babzilla: POINT OF CORRECTION
JEFF GREEN IS HAVING A FANTASTIC YEAR SO FAR AND IS LIVING UP TO HIS POTENTIAL
CHECK OUT HIS GAME VS MIAMI HEAT 2 DAYS AGO
VICTOR OLADIPO IS GOOD BUT TO COMPARE HIM WITH HAKEEM IS JUST BALONEY
THEY BOTH PLAY DIFFERENT POSITIONS
HE IS MORE OF A DWAYNE WADE TYPE OF PLAYER
PLUS HAKEEM LED THE ROCKETS TO 2 CHAMPIONSHIPS
I DONT C OLADIPO WINNING ANYTHING NOT WITH THIS ORLANDO TEAM
MAYBE IN THE FUTURE WITH SOME SOLID TEAM MATES BUT NOT NOW
MEANWHILE IF URE TALKING OF ROOKIES RIGHT NOW MICHAEL CARTER WILLIAMS
IS THE ISH RIGHT NOW

Can you read? I said: "Nigeria's next NBA superstar!" I know they don't play the same position. However, I was comparing greatness. Hakeem Olajuwon is the bar and definitely top 20 NBA players of all time. But with Oladipo's work ethic and willingness to learn - if Magic can get better supporting casts around him, he should have a great NBA career.

Michael Carter Williams is a starter and he has good young players around him. But Oladipo starts from the bench and he's averaging 13points and 5rebounds. That's pretty solid for a rookie playing from the bench.
Re: Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Nov 11, 2013
Babzilla:

MR MAN 4 U TO WEAR A JERSEY OR START A GAME IN THE NBA IS SOMETHING
BECOMING A CHAMPION AND A HALL OF FAMER LIKE OLAJUWON IS ANOTHER THING
THESE GUYS U MENTIONED ARE DECENT PLAYERS AND WERE DRAFTED BASED ON THEIR TALENTS
BUT MAKING IT BIG AND STAYIN ON TOP IN THE NBA NO BE BEANS MAYBE U SHOULD CHECK OUT
THE WAY STARS LIKE KOBE AND MICHAEL JORDAN WORKOUT TO KNOW IT AINT EASY

Olajuwon had raw potentials out of college being that he started playing basket ball a few years before that. No one ever thought he was going to be that great. Same for Kobe and Jordan to an extent.

However, work ethic, feel of the game and willingness to learn, made them great.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Emmanuel Dennis Pulls Out Of Nigeria's AFCON Squad After Pressure From Watford / Vandals Cart Away Kanu’s Medals / Alex Iwobi And Kelechi Iheanacho Named Players Of The Year For Their Clubs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.