Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,468 members, 7,781,359 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:07 PM

Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! (4699 Views)

5 Things I'm Tired Of Hearing Nigerian Football Fans Say / Ideye Brown Exposed By White Woman, Says He's The Father Of Her Kids / Globacom Premier League: The Nigerian Football League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by seyibrown(f): 6:58am On Jul 15, 2008
An undercover BBC investigation has exposed how young African footballers are being conned out of thousands of dollars by Nigerian fraudsters.

One gang which was confronted pretended to be Manchester United officials working with manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

Another conman was impersonating the chief talent scout for Chelsea to trick naive teenagers into wiring him cash.

They prey on the thousands of amateur players who post their details online hoping to be spotted by English agents.

Victims are often duped into sending money in the false belief that they are paying official registration fees to have a trial to play for their favourite English Premier League clubs.

The fraudsters simply pocket the money and disappear.

Registration fees

For the BBC investigation, an undercover reporter played the role of the father of a young Ghanaian striker keen to make it big in England.

In that guise, he contacted a man who called himself Paul Jones and claimed online to represent Manchester United. The man falsely boasted that he worked closely with Sir Alex.

In e-mails and secretly recorded phone conversations, Mr Jones claimed that Sir Alex was so impressed by the BBC's fictional player that he wanted to him to come for a two-year trial.

Mr Jones said that the club would coach the player to stardom once a "registration fee" of more than $7,000 (£3,500) was paid.

"As soon as your child comes over here in London, the club will sponsor their food, their accommodation, all the necessary things they need in the club. So after two years of the training, if the player performs well, he will join Manchester United," Mr Jones promised in one call.

In an effort to persuade the undercover reporter that his offer was genuine, Mr Jones e-mailed several fake player registration forms.

The documents were headed with the club's official logo. But one obvious error was that the instructions stated the form should be addressed to legendary United manager, Sir Matt Busby - who died in 1994.

Secret filming

In a sting operation, the undercover reporter persuaded Mr Jones to send his assistant, a "Dr Frank Johnson" to meet him at a hotel in the Nigerian city of Lagos to receive the cash in person.

SEE VIDEO HERE: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7505699.stm

At the meeting, Dr Johnson was secretly filmed as he produced another fake registration form.

He assured the undercover reporter that Manchester United were keen to recruit more African players and that his son would be well provided for.

"What we do is give them a good contract. That is why you have to sign as a sponsor," he said.

"We will prepare an apartment for your son and give him special training so he will improve. Then we will set him up with another club or he will play with us."

Dr Johnson's sales pitch was brought to an abrupt end when BBC reporter Gavin Lee and a camera crew approached and confronted him.

Despite the evidence on tape, Dr Johnson initially denied he was a fake. But he later confessed that his real name was John and that he was ashamed of his actions.

He was taken away and questioned by a Nigerian policeman who provided security for the sting.

The BBC team was allowed to examine Dr Johnson's mobile phone and found it contained texts that suggested he was involved with scams involving victims across Africa and Europe. Several people had sent him their bank details.

In the phone's directory the number for the BBC's undercover reporter was listed under "mugu" - the word used by Nigerian fraudsters to describe those that they swindle.

Naivety

Another conman recorded by the BBC claimed to be Mike Emenalo, the former Nigerian international player who is Chelsea's chief talent scout.

The fake Mr Emenalo was brazen enough to advertise his services on a legitimate sports website.

He claimed to be so impressed by the record of the BBC's fake player that he immediately offered him a trial with the club. This time the fee demanded was $4,000 (£2,000).

Nigerian's Sport and Tourism Ambassador John Fashanu commended the BBC investigation for highlighting the perils faced by young African players who want to play abroad.

The former Wimbledon player and England international said there needed to be greater action against the conmen who were ripping off their fellow Africans.

"They have seen an opportunity to make money and they are making money off desperate young Nigerian, Ghanaian, South African, African, Third World country footballers who all want to live of professional footballers like Thierry Henri, Kanu and Jay Jay Okocha," he said.

Often those who fall for scammers like this are from poor backgrounds. Their families scrape together the fees in the vain hope of giving their children a route out of poverty.

Players as young as 12 post their photo, phone number, e-mail address and in some cases even their passport details online in the hope of getting an agent.

Most appear to be unaware that English clubs would never demand money from a player they were considering signing.

These ambitious amateurs seem largely ignorant that under immigration regulations it would be impossible for them to get a British work permit.

They would not qualify as they have not played several games for their own national sides. And it is this naivety which the fraudsters exploit to ruthless effect.

SEE VIDEO: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7505699.stm

SOURCE: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7505395.stm
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by CARUSO(m): 9:00am On Jul 15, 2008
These bastards wont quit!

They would come up with anything to con people, even thier own families!!

May they all rot in hell!!
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by Mustay(m): 9:57am On Jul 15, 2008
This happens not only in Nigeria though sad
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by deor03(m): 7:36pm On Jul 15, 2008
CARUSO:

These bastards wont quit!

They would come up with anything to con people, even their own families!!

May they all rot in hell!!

Amen2
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by doyin13(m): 7:46pm On Jul 15, 2008
Na 2day!!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by texazzpete(m): 8:06am On Jul 16, 2008
Mustay:

This happens not only in Nigeria though sad

I am extremely dissapointed that right thinking Nigerians still com eup with this lousy excuse.

Even if other countries are involved in scams, does that take away the fact that Nigerians were involved here? Or that thousands of other nigerians in Lagos are busy in cafes scamming away?
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by otokx(m): 11:16am On Jul 16, 2008
Its a pity that even the poor are being made poorer by this dupes.
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by smile4kenn(m): 11:37am On Jul 16, 2008
one has to be smart in life so that u wont fall into the hands of con men
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by chidichris(m): 11:52am On Jul 16, 2008
the conman in question stands the risk of life imprisonment but the political conmen who have left majority of the nigerian population in chronic suffering at the end of the day just go in through the front doors and get out through the back doors after a maximum sentence of six months-what a shameful imbalance in our justice?
nigeria and nigerians shld start looking at these crimes from the point of view that one is against individual while the other is against a state.
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by youngies(m): 12:17pm On Jul 16, 2008
He was taken away and questioned by a Nigerian policeman who provided security for the sting.

I'm patiently waiting to see the outcome of police questioning of this man sad
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by CARUSO(m): 12:22pm On Jul 16, 2008
youngies:

I'm patiently waiting to see the outcome of police questioning of this man sad

he would prolly be let off the hook in a few months

fraudsters are scum of the earth

they should be with satan in the most ferocious part of hell fire

ripping other people off to live an opulent and flamboyant lifestyle is not fair!!
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by youngies(m): 12:28pm On Jul 16, 2008
If only they can make an example of this man, use him on national tv and radio to sensitize the teaming youths on how not to be a victim of football conmen
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by oYaTo(m): 12:40pm On Jul 16, 2008
omo this is hilarious! I gbadun the look on the conman face afta dem nab am finish. . .
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by nedra: 12:49pm On Jul 16, 2008
in nigeria, every bad thing is possible. they may dupe u, but they can neva steal ur future. sorry 4 d lost funds,
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by joselekas(m): 1:23pm On Jul 16, 2008
chidichris (m) Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed!
« #8 on: Today at 11:52:19 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the conman in question stands the risk of life imprisonment but the political conmen who have left majority of the nigerian population in chronic suffering at the end of the day just go in through the front doors and get out through the back doors after a maximum sentence of six months-what a shameful imbalance in our justice?
nigeria and nigerians shld start looking at these crimes from the point of view that one is against individual

I totally agree with u. The justice system in Nigeria is so laughable to the extent that the laws are only for the poor. Politician/Minister/Governor who stole billions of dollars are only given pat on the back. Some month back the NBA chairman was campaigning for 'Plea Bargaining' ! Whao, I sorry 4 Nigeria. Alarm of Bayelsa who stole our money was given a historic welcome 4 looting the treasury. What a country!!!
I'm not justifying what those guyz have done but to remind us of the monumental and criminal injustice in the Nigeria State. I'm very angry.
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by sherrylo: 1:49pm On Jul 16, 2008
ooh! I
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by sherrylo: 2:06pm On Jul 16, 2008
Ooh! I am really tired of this virus in my country, it has eaten so deep that other countries tends to avoid us.Even Ghanaians do not want to be mistaken for Nigerian.Go to Dubai and see all what we are attached with! ooh only God ooh can help us.
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by 4gotnheros(m): 2:13pm On Jul 16, 2008
Them suppose SLAP the guy for having the guts conning face2face.
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by naijacutee(f): 2:28pm On Jul 16, 2008
The fact that our government is a big con is still not an excuse for these acts.
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by Jaimz(m): 2:31pm On Jul 16, 2008
PREACH IT, angry
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by wormedup(m): 3:51pm On Jul 16, 2008
how many more of these threads are we supposed to be expecting

don't you guys ever use the SEARCH button

Seun is not paying any dime for number of threads opened on this forum; the boy's a miser !!!!!!!!!!!! get used to it !
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jul 16, 2008
I played football and i was to get to europe and play it professional but now am into I.T well several of my friends have been dupe with the promise of taken then to abroad. the fact is this is lagos and will just have to be smart and trying be suspicious when we come across offers like that
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by skyy04(m): 3:58pm On Jul 16, 2008
The so called conman needs to be punished in a hard way to teach others dealing in fraudulent act, Why is it that Nigerians are responsible for like 80% of fraudulent activities that happen anywhere especially abroad??

Very annoying!
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by FEMARY(m): 5:46pm On Jul 16, 2008
hitv and dstv promo is still.hitv is #14,000 with one month subscription while dstv is #25,000 with 3 free subscription.call 08023122331 to get your in 4 hours time
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by gboyi(m): 6:03pm On Jul 16, 2008
Hi
Please are they doing promo on dual view on DSTV please let me l have intrest on that .
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by adekennis(m): 7:47am On Jul 17, 2008
FEMARY:

hitv and dstv promo is still.hitv is #14,000 with one month subscription while dstv is #25,000 with 3 free subscription.call 08023122331 to get your in 4 hours time

@poster,you dey craze nii!! angry
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by BangBang2(m): 8:41am On Jul 17, 2008
FEMARY:

stupid fool, u shldnt be advertising here, u dunce!!
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by Mustay(m): 8:55am On Jul 17, 2008
I just listened to this documentary on BBC and it just exposes how IGNORANT REALLY IS A DISEASE!

First, the conmen will disappear with the money

Second, the 'aspiring footballers' no next to nothing about British Immigration rules

three, they chat on internet dating sites in order to travel out.

The documentary is annoying undecided

"Nigeria has an unenviable reputation for being at the forefront of this sort of crime

So prevalent is the fraud culture that it is satirised in this popular NIGERIAN song
"

In the song Nkem Owoh sings an athem for all those involved in so-called 419 songs. . . In a world of 419, conmen calls their victims mugu or idiots!
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by Mustay(m): 9:08am On Jul 17, 2008
You cannot play for MAn u, chelsea, bla bla bla without playing for your Nigerian national team ha! angry

Don't these guys know?
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by Gettolove(m): 10:34am On Jul 17, 2008
Someone should please tell me what is the difference between this fake agent and the political office holders including our police personnel.

The last time, it was our I.G. that was alleged to have kept huge cash in a T.V.
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by igbsam(m): 12:36pm On Jul 17, 2008
Everyone, Here is What the fraudulent email sent by this conmen looks like. Soccer Agent Sent me a copy and I am pasting it here incase you see something like this in your email, please do not reply. Nigerian Fraudsters at it again.

[b]Hello there,

These message is from the desk of PFA SPORTS AGENCY, UK. The socceragent.net <http://socceragent.net/> admin gave us your profile to help you out and the essence of this mail is to direct and update you on what to do next if you are really interested in coming to the UK for trials and club contracts.
We are organizing a football trial/camp here in UK and it will be conducted by professional coaches and players in UK.I want to use this avenue to invite you to play in great clubs in UK (Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea ,Southampton, etc ) as we contribute large amount of support to this clubs, you will enjoy our services in UK as we put into consideration every body connected to your football carrier and even help you get potential sponsors. It will be on for 2 weeks and will be held in Manchester.It will be like training sessions and there will be free talk sessions which allows the coaches to talk to the players of there choices based on club contracts.

So,for you to be on this camp,you will have to be registered with us and undergo some processes both with us and our attorney,this attracts a fee of $600USD.This will be for your registration and attorney(lawyer) fee, airline ticket fee, courier service fee(All your documents and ticket will be sent to you via UPS after you are registered) and also send us your football CV(information).

You will be provided with new sets of football kits,a digital camcorder e.t.c and our insurance will also cover your life and medical bills while you are here in UK. We have all this easily due to the support from our sponsors like;

McDonalds:- They will be responsible for the feeding.
Nike:- They will be responsible for the football kits.
Samsung:- They will be responsible for all electrical gadgets. e.t.c

You are expected to pay your registration fee($600USD) via western union money transfer. You can log on to fifa.com <http://fifa.com/> and click on the agents list for you to know we are FIFA registered agent. You are advised to reply this message as soon as possible if you are really interested in our offer for you. Live the good side of football as we await your response.See you soon.
Regards,

BARKER SIMON(CEO)
PFA SPORTS AGENCY.
+447024022296.[/b]
Re: Nigerian Football Conmen Exposed! by Mustay(m): 12:42pm On Jul 17, 2008
Gawd

Our Government and the officials know not that their irresponsibility has caused all these.

These foreign dudes are not even slow at 'yapping' em

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bet9ja Has Almost Ruin My Life. / Naijabet Sure Prediction For Today Alongside Winning Code / Photos: Meet Diego Maradona’s New 25-year-old Stunning Girlfriend!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.