Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,492 members, 7,808,822 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:27 PM

Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? (7574 Views)

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? / Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Ngokafor(f): 2:23pm On Nov 14, 2013
Amefrica:

I'm not talking about the village, I haven't been there. But, MOST I've seen here in the city are disrespectful. #NoOffence. All I need is an Igbo kid to prove me wrong. Which I haven't seen till now. smiley

....i am really sorry i bothered to comment here,it was clearly a mistake on my part.I hate conversing with your type(no offense)..

....am telling you what i know and you are saying something else...keep searching for an Igbo kid that will lick your yoruba feet..*unfollows thread*..

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 14, 2013
Ngokafor:

....i am really sorry i bothered to comment here,it was clearly a mistake on my part.I hate conversing with your type(no offense)..

....am telling you what i know and you are saying something else...keep searching for an Igbo kid that will lick your yoruba feet..*unfollows thread*..

It seems your hormone responsible for comprehension of my post is somehow faulty. I said what I know and have seen and all you could do is go tribal.. Smh! undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by belltwelve(m): 1:21pm On Nov 17, 2013
OP should stop stereotyping because every tribe has both polite and ill-mannered people.
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Nov 17, 2013
belltwelve: OP should stop stereotyping because every tribe has both polite and ill-mannered people.

Got it sir!
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by tonychristopher: 10:18pm On Nov 18, 2013
I was thinking that yorubas greet a lot but when I started staying in their midst I realized that its more of eye service that real greetings....they will great you such that you think they are stupid...how can you greet somebody 6 times in a day in a bid to get something

igbos don't attach toomuch importance to greetings cos salutations isn't love

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Nov 18, 2013
tonychristopher: I was thinking that yorubas greet a lot but when I started staying in their midst I realized that its more of eye service that real greetings....they will great you such that you think they are stupid...how can you greet somebody 6 times in a day in a bid to get something

igbos don't attach toomuch importance to greetings cos salutations isn't love

grin That's us. You don't only greet when you need something.
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by mafolayomi(f): 10:04am On Nov 19, 2013
Amefrica: We used to have Igbo tenants and there's this particular family, they have 6 children. 14, 12, 10, 7, 5, 3 respectively.

I swear this children, were so stu-pid, and they lacked manners. They'd come to our apartment, they'd not knock, entered without greeting anybody including my dad, mum and sister.

Sometimes, I'd send them out, ask them to knock and greet. I'd also scold them but their parents would take it to the head..

Not this family alone, I've seen a lot of them, they lack respect. Unlike yoruba kids, they are going to greet you even more than once..

I'm not a tribalist, we are all one. I just wanna know why they behave like that..
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by mafolayomi(f): 10:09am On Nov 19, 2013
Amefrica: We used to have Igbo tenants and there's this particular family, they have 6 children. 14, 12, 10, 7, 5, 3 respectively.

I swear this children, were so stu-pid, and they lacked manners. They'd come to our apartment, they'd not knock, entered without greeting anybody including my dad, mum and sister.

Sometimes, I'd send them out, ask them to knock and greet. I'd also scold them but their parents would take it to the head..

Not this family alone, I've seen a lot of them, they lack respect. Unlike yoruba kids, they are going to greet you even more than once..

I'm not a tribalist, we are all one. I just wanna know why they behave like that..
that's nt thru o, maybe here in lag sha, but over there in d east, mbaise umuofuga to be precise, them sabi greet die, na u go even tire self. So tey if u ar paassing on d road dey will be waving u, dey don't know u o, and u must respond, to an extent dat I won't reply again na my husband go dey wave bak. And even here in lag, d igbos am close to greets very well.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by mafolayomi(f): 10:10am On Nov 19, 2013

that's nt thru o, maybe here in lag sha, but over there in d east, mbaise umuofuga to be precise, them sabi greet die, na u go even tire self. So tey if u ar paassing on d road dey will be waving u, dey don't know u o, and u must respond, to an extent dat I won't reply again na my husband go dey wave bak. And even here in lag, d igbos am close to greets very well. Mind u, am married to an igbo guy, and where I mentioned above is my husby's place, so I know what am talking about
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 10:27am On Nov 19, 2013
mafolayomi: that's nt thru o, maybe here in lag sha, but over there in d east, mbaise umuofuga to be precise, them sabi greet die, na u go even tire self. So tey if u ar paassing on d road dey will be waving u, dey don't know u o, and u must respond, to an extent dat I won't reply again na my husband go dey wave bak. And even here in lag, d igbos am close to greets very well. Mind u, am married to an igbo guy, and where I mentioned above is my husby's place, so I know what am talking about

Wow! grin That's good to know.
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by bluerange(f): 9:43pm On Nov 19, 2013
it depends on the upbringing. am igbo (lmo) born and raised in lagos but l grew up addressing my older ones as dede and dada. no matter the tribe am particular about a child being respectful to older ones as it helps in character building.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Nov 19, 2013
bluerange: it depends on the upbringing. am igbo (lmo) born and raised in lagos but l grew up addressing my older ones as dede and dada. no matter the tribe am particular about a child being respectful to older ones as it helps in character building.

I had to like this. smiley
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Nov 20, 2013
Op, its the children's upbringing and nothing else.
igbos greet elders.
and its not in our culture to bow down and do anything, what exactly are u bowing down for.
Nobody shd bow down for me, am not bowing for anybody.
What if I start a topic like this, 'y do Yoruba kids know how to abuse, even at tender ages?
Is that a sign of respect too.
I mean, abuse is an art they got to learn.
Abeg.....

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Nov 20, 2013
ngozievergreen: Op, its the children's upbringing and nothing else.
igbos greet elders.
and its not in our culture to bow down and do anything, what exactly are u bowing down for.
Nobody shd bow down for me, am not bowing for anybody.
What if I start a topic like this, 'y do Yoruba kids know how to abuse, even at tender ages?
Is that a sign of respect too.
I mean, abuse is an art they got to learn.
Abeg.....

It's a sign of respect! Looking straight into elder's eyes for a long period is disrespectful. You spoke well tho
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Afam4eva(m): 3:22pm On Nov 20, 2013
Respect and greeting style is relative. That Igbo don't greet the way you do does not make them any less respectful. If our elders don't find offensive our method of greeting then it's not disrespectful. We don't have to lie down on the floor before you know that we have respect. It's called culture. The kids you mentioned obviously have bad manners which is the fault of their upbringing and not where they come from. I also have Yorubas, Igbos etc that barge into my house without knocking. It's an individual thing.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Nov 20, 2013
Afam4eva: Respect and greeting style is relative. That Igbo don't greet the way you do does not make them any less respectful. If our elders don't find offensive our method of greeting then it's not disrespectful. We don't have to lie down on the floor before you know that we have respect. It's called culture. The kids you mentioned obviously have bad manners which is the fault of their upbringing and not where they come from. I also have Yorubas, Igbos etc that barge into my house without knocking. It's an individual thing.

True! True!! True!!! cheesy
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Nov 20, 2013
Amefrica:

It's a sign of respect! Looking straight into elder's eyes for a long period is disrespectful. You spoke well tho

In Yoruba nah, not Igbo!
U shdnt want every custom to resemble urs.
Abusing other ppl with names, as is found more in Yoruba kids isn't sign of respect either.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Nov 20, 2013
ngozievergreen:

In Yoruba nah, not Igbo!
U shdnt want every custom to resemble urs.
Abusing other ppl with names, as is found more in Yoruba kids isn't sign of respect either.

grin Yea right! But most of the Igbo kids lack etiquette and are mannerless. They just bump into you and side walk you.
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Nov 21, 2013
Amefrica:

grin Yea right! But most of the Igbo kids lack etiquette and are mannerless. They just bump into you and side walk you.

So, not greeting u is equal to mannerless?
mtchew
U just pass by kids and expect greetings, so that u keep fit abi?
smh

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Nov 21, 2013

You're fast enough in d brain to generalise with just a family. Hmmmm... I think u're reali fast...d fastest. Have u taken part in any race competition, precisely 7000000 metre race?
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Nov 21, 2013
ngozievergreen:

mtchew
smh

You don't seem to understand. smiley All is well!
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Nov 21, 2013

You're fast enough in d brain to generalise with just a family. Hmmmm... I think u're reali fast...d fastest. Have u taken part in any race competition, precisely 7000000 metre race?

grin lool grin Why did this person deactivate his/her account?
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Malawian(m): 3:50pm On Nov 21, 2013
Ngokafor: @op you are wrong there...a lot of Igbo kids greet their elders,especially the ones in the village..it has nothing to do with tribe per se cos a i have to always remind the children of a yoruba friend of mine to say hi to me..

..concerning the Igbo village thing,am usually taken aback at the way children greet random older strangers they pass by which is not something i am used to to be honest...

...the only difference is that they do not do all the kneeling down and lying flat on the floor like yorubas do,which is more of a cultural thing...but royalties are given a special kind of greeting though..

at the bolded. i was amazed a month ago while in the village. all the little kids were just saying goodmorning like it is a chorus.
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Malawian(m): 4:05pm On Nov 21, 2013
ngozievergreen:

mtchew
smh

you dey mind am/ who wan greet carton man like am? undecided undecided
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Nov 21, 2013
Malawian:

And who in hell is this?
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Malawian(m): 9:46pm On Nov 21, 2013
Amefrica:

And who in hell is this?

i am on earth, you are in hell. see your miserable life. running up and down this thread with your brazen tribalism and generalizing all igbo kids like you have met all of them.

i suppose i should be grateful this thread is in this section cos i am on ban yet again in politics.

you no wan sabi me bros.

tongue cool

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 9:55pm On Nov 21, 2013
Malawian:

lol at carton
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Nov 21, 2013
Malawian:

i am on earth, you are in hell. see your miserable life. running up and down this thread with your brazen tribalism and generalizing all igbo kids like you have met all of them.

i suppose i should be grateful this thread is in this section cos i am on ban yet again in politics.

you no wan sabi me bros.

tongue cool

Smh! If you can assimilate very well, you'd have seen that I didn't display a sign of tribalism. You are just here spewing rubbish.. Well I aint in for arguments.

Get a life!
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by fairari022(m): 1:19am On Nov 23, 2013
Eze Promoe: Not that I'm taking this personal.
Coming from a Yoruba man, I know that it will look offensive the way those kids greet casually.
I'm an evidence of circumstance. I lost favour before a father of one of my female friends then during the year of my youth service because of my way of greeting.
I was like "good afternoon sir" with heads looking straight at his face. The man walked me out immediately from his house. grin
As in, he took that very serious.
ur problem wasn't ur head straight up. It's becos u belong to #team poverty#

Park my Chevrolet camaro at the front of his mud house , na him go say good afternoon my inlaw first, I.e b4 I even step out of my car.

I blame u dis Time and not GEJ
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 8:42am On Nov 24, 2013
fairari022: ur problem wasn't ur head straight up. It's becos u belong to #team poverty#

Park my Chevrolet camaro at the front of his mud house , na him go say good afternoon my inlaw first, I.e b4 I even step out of my car.

I blame u dis Time and not GEJ

Bro, remember Charity begins at home.
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by eluquenson(m): 9:17am On Nov 24, 2013
Sincerely speaking, yoruba has the best culture & orientation in Nigeria
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 9:36am On Nov 24, 2013
eluquenson: Sincerely speaking, yoruba has the best culture & orientation in Nigeria

smiley I concur! You know what it is wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can Someone Translate Me A Few Igbo Sentenses Into Englisch? / Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos / Pre-colonial Homosexuality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.