Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,269 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:38 AM

Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? (7573 Views)

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? / Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Abagworo(m): 12:34pm On Nov 24, 2013
Amefrica:

smiley I concur! You know what it is wink

So bowing down to your fellow man makes your culture the best. Igbos greet like modern people with handshakes and it does not make our culture bad.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Nov 24, 2013
Abagworo:

So bowing down to your fellow man makes your culture the best. Igbos greet like modern people with handshakes and it does not make our culture bad.

Don't get it twisted, it aint some sorta worship. But just to show respect. It's eccentric to look straight into your elder's eyes.
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Nov 24, 2013

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Nov 24, 2013
Nonso23:

sorry, what exactly are you trying to achieve with this thread Some kind of acceptance that your culture is all there is to respect?
The other time you agreed that it was a matter of upbringing and suddenly you are subtly extolling your culture as a yardstick for measuring respect??
Please if you intend to preach ethnocentricity or ethnic bigotry you could use a more direct approach. All these skirting around the point is making the thread look shallow... cheers! undecided

Opinions differ..
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by coolchimex: 7:42pm On Nov 24, 2013
My dear Op, you may argue with me but the following are clear:

1. You are tribalistic.
2. You believe your culture is superior to all others.
3. You are using emotion and not reason.
4. You want everyone to follow your wrong generalization (though myopic and very shallow).

I want you go through all your posts without bias or ask an insignificant other, he/she will prove the authenticity of my observations.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Nov 24, 2013
coolchimex: My dear Op, you may argue with me but the following are clear:

1. You are tribalistic.
2. You believe your culture is superior to all others.
3. You are using emotion and not reason.
4. You want everyone to follow your wrong generalization (though myopic and very shallow).

I want you go through all your posts without bias or ask an insignificant other, he/she will prove the authenticity of my observations.

1. I'm not tribalistic, I have an Igbo girlfriend.
2. Maybe, cuz yoruba has the best culture in 9ja.
3. How did you get to know that?
4. I'm not dragging/forcing anybody.

Thanks bro! smiley
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 24, 2013
Ffk: am not a tribalist, I have dated Bianca.
Amefrica: am not a tribalist, I have an Igbo gf.
Dem swear for Una?

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Nov 24, 2013
ngozievergreen: Ffk: am not a tribalist, I have dated Bianca.
Amefrica: am not a tribalist, I have an Igbo gf.
Dem swear for Una?

You sure say you well? If I call myself a tribalist, you go beat me? Madam nor vex me oo. I LOVE ALL
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Malawian(m): 3:57pm On Nov 25, 2013
Amefrica:

1. I'm not tribalistic, I have an Igbo girlfriend.
2. Maybe, cuz yoruba has the best culture in 9ja.
3. How did you get to know that?
4. I'm not dragging/forcing anybody.

Thanks bro! smiley

grin grin grin grin grin grin

na today nyash dey back with central parting ?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Nov 25, 2013
Malawian:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

na today nyash dey back with central parting ?

cheesy This sounds funny but I don't get you. What do you mean bro?
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by CHIOMAIGBO: 10:50am On Nov 18, 2014
Amefrica:
We used to have Igbo tenants and there's this particular family, they have 6 children. 14, 12, 10, 7, 5, 3 respectively.

I swear this children, were so stu-pid, and they lacked manners. They'd come to our apartment, they'd not knock, entered without greeting anybody including my dad, mum and sister.

Sometimes, I'd send them out, ask them to knock and greet. I'd also scold them but their parents would take it to the head..

Not this family alone, I've seen a lot of them, they lack respect. Unlike yoruba kids, they are going to greet you even more than once..

I'm not a tribalist, we are all one. I just wanna know why they behave like that..

I also know Yoruba children. The ones I know are very arrogant and stupid.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Nov 18, 2014
CHIOMAIGBO:

I also know Yoruba children. The ones I know are very arrogant and stupid.

I've come to understand, it depends on upbringing.
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by CHIOMAIGBO: 2:13pm On Nov 18, 2014
I even find this post Useless!! B/cos it depends on the way the children are being raised.
In my own community for example, Children are being taught to respect their elderly ones and they do so.

You can't tell me that there are no Yoruba Children that do disobey their parents. Because I actually know some Yoruba children living within my area that we perceive as being recalcitrant. People call them 'Agboro' or 'Omo Yoruba' whenever they display such negative behaviours towards people. I am not trying to say that all Yorubas are bad; but the truth is that they actually have people of very bad characters.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Nov 18, 2014
CHIOMAIGBO:
I even find this post Useless!! B/cos it depends on the way the children are being raised.
In my own community for example, Children are being taught to respect their elderly ones and they do so.

You can't tell me that there are no Yoruba Children that do disobey their parents. Because I actually know some Yoruba children living within my area that we perceive as being recalcitrant. People call them 'Agboro' or 'Omo Yoruba' whenever they display such negative behaviours towards people. I am not trying to say that all Yorubas are bad; but the truth is that they actually have people of very bad characters.

Look at the post up this one!
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:11pm On Nov 20, 2014
The same yoruba who are seen as the most insultive tribe in Nigeria greet their elders laying down...lol. Akuko; What an irony. Tell that to those who havent lived amongst you. The way yoruba kids insult their elders and parents behind their back is shocking and shameful,to say the least. Yes,they will lay down,prostrate and roll on the floor in the process of greeting but soon as the person turns around...they will say"brother/aunty oshi"....lol
If you wanna generalize because of some mannerless children you encountered then bring it on.
Go to the market and prize an item from a yoruba and dont buy and and see what they tell you. Yoruba shouldn't be talking about respect...yall need to stfu!

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:16pm On Nov 20, 2014
CHIOMAIGBO:

I think the Op is having difficulty understanding the difference between greeting and respect.
Just because I didn't bow to greet you doesn't mean I dont respect you. I wasnt taught to bow when greeting an elder but my mother will almost kill you if you dont greet your elder...Its all about upbringing,period!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 2:39pm On May 16, 2015
I guess, dats there own culture
Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 3:16pm On May 16, 2015
Amefrica you don't seem to realize how ethnocentric your question sounds, but i'm glad you asked it. If you look at the Igbo children around you with an expectation that only when they conform to the ways of your culture are they of good behavior, then of course you won't be able to find any "respectful" Igbo child.
Igbo children are brought up to greet their parents and elders first thing in the morning, before any other thing. They are taught to greet them with their body fully upright and their heads held high and proud; no bending, and a simple good morning + father/mother/grandmother/grandfather/aunty/uncle salutation would suffice, and that's it. The same applies to the way they greet people outside, although I notice that Igbo people who live in the southwest tend to bow slightly when they greet, but they never prostrate; after all the person they're greeting is equal to them.

where do you find the respect? For elders at home, in the fact that they're greeted first thing in the morning. for people outside, in the fact that they're greeted at all. In the villages though, everyone greets everyone else, sometimes even a stranger you're passing by, you greet; the person selling by the street, you greet; the one working on the farm, you greet; the lady riding an okada, you greet; the neighbors visiting from abroad, you greet. That's how it is.

so it's either those children are wrongly brought up, or they're rightly brought up and you're simply the one looking for the wrong things. Best thing, and something Igbo people would appreciate, is to tell them to their face that you do not appreciate their behavior, and go on to educate them about your own culture.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? by Nobody: 6:09am On Aug 09, 2015
I didn't know about them much..
But even the little time I've spent with them,I noticed something.. They are really tribalistic!

If only people would mind their own "better" abi na best culture,perhaps the world might even be better.

I shouldn't hate them..but I really hate that tribalistic attitude of theirs.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can Someone Translate Me A Few Igbo Sentenses Into Englisch? / Oba Akiolu Drops Bombshell On Who Really Owns Lagos / Pre-colonial Homosexuality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.