Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,552 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:21 PM

Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! (6207 Views)

7 Sins That Lead To Self-destruction: Christians Must Avoid. / 10 Sermons Most Young Ladies Will Likely Turn Deaf Ears To / Cardinal Arinze Likely To Be The First Black Pope? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by italo: 1:56pm On Nov 12, 2013
From the American Journal of Psychiatry.

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/Mobile/article.aspx?articleID=177228

OBJECTIVE: Few studies have investigated the association between religion and suicide either in terms of Durkheim’s social integration hypothesis or the hypothesis of the regulative benefits of religion. The relationship between religion and suicide attempts has received even less attention.
METHOD: Depressed inpatients (N=371) who reported belonging to one specific religion or described themselves as having no religious affiliation were compared in terms of their demographic and clinical characteristics. RESULTS: Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder. No differences in the level of subjective and objective depression, hopelessness, or stressful life events were found. CONCLUSIONS: Religious affiliation is associated with less suicidal behavior in depressed inpatients. After other factors were controlled, it was found that greater moral objections to suicide and lower aggression level in religiously affiliated subjects may function as protective factors against suicide attempts. Further study about the influence of religious affiliation on aggressive behavior and how moral objections can reduce the probability of acting on suicidal thoughts may offer new therapeutic strategies in suicide prevention.
Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by Nobody: 7:46pm On Nov 12, 2013
Double post
Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by Nobody: 7:46pm On Nov 12, 2013
Toa me i don hear oh. No atheist tinz 4 me oh, am not interested in suicide oh cool
Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by italo: 8:43pm On Nov 12, 2013
Yet many Atheists mock we believers for not living life to the full.
Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by wiegraf: 8:48pm On Nov 12, 2013
italo: Yet many Atheists mock we believers for not living life to the full.

Yes.

Not enough time today. Will return if nobody bothers
Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by mazaje(m): 9:06pm On Nov 12, 2013
This topic is very misleading. . .The subjects of this study were people with some form of mental depression and disorder not just normal people a caveat the OP did not underscore. . .
Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by Nobody: 11:17pm On Nov 12, 2013
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. — George Bernard Shaw
Moreover the study was confined to patients suffering from acute depression

8 Likes

Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by italo: 8:39am On Nov 13, 2013
Those most likely to commit suicide are those with those conditions so it's not misleading.

If I wanted to know which gender earns more in Nigeria, shouldn't I be testing on those among both genders who are most likely to earn money at all?

Another interesting thing is even their family members (who are also more likely to be Atheists) are more likely to commit suicide too. Those ones aren't necessarily depressed. They are Atheists...or family of Atheists.

emk4lif: The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is
no more to the point than the fact that a drunken
man is happier than a sober one. — George Bernard
Shaw
Moreover the study was confined to patients suffering from acute depression

mazaje: This topic is very misleading. . .The subjects of this study were people with some form of mental depression and disorder not just normal people a caveat the OP did not underscore. . .
Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by KraticKratus: 9:02am On Nov 13, 2013
I wonder how Jesus would have fared if tested for depression and suicidal tendencies.

All through the gospels, we never once saw a passage where it said Jesus smiled or Jesus laughed or Jesus danced. Instead all we had was Jesus wept, Jesus got angry, Jesus got violent, Jesus cursed, Jesus prefered alcohol to water, Jesus was hungry, Jesus got himself killed. etc. etc. All charateristics of chronic depression with suicidal tendencies.

Makes me wonder if Jesus was an atheist.

11 Likes

Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by italo: 10:24am On Nov 13, 2013
You dont want scientific evidence anymore?

Here's scientific research showing you're more likely to destroy yourself than me and you're going back to the Bible.

When believers quote from the Bible, you mock them saying their only proof of the Bible is the Bible.

When Believers cite scientific evidence, you start to quote the Bible.

That is hypocrisy!

KraticKratus: I wonder how Jesus would have fared if tested for depression and suicidal tendencies.

All through the gospels, we never once saw a passage where it said Jesus smiled or Jesus laughed or Jesus danced. Instead all we had was Jesus wept, Jesus got angry, Jesus got violent, Jesus cursed, Jesus prefered alcohol to water, Jesus was hungry, Jesus got himself killed. etc. etc. All charateristics of chronic depression with suicidal tendencies.

Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by KraticKratus: 10:28am On Nov 13, 2013
italo: You dont want scientific evidence anymore?

Here's scientific research showing you're more likely to destroy yourself than me and you're going back to the Bible.

When believers quote from the Bible, you mock them saying their only proof of the Bible is the Bible.

That is hypocrisy!

Did I deny the scientific evidence? No.

I just applied it to your saviour and it looks like your saviour was scientifically an unbeliever.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by italo: 11:11am On Nov 13, 2013
"it looks like" to you. If that were true, you'd only be corroborating the result of the research.

KraticKratus:

Did I deny the scientific evidence? No.

I just applied it to your saviour and it look[color=#990000][/color]s like your saviour was scientifically an unbeliever.
Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by KraticKratus: 11:50am On Nov 13, 2013
italo: "it looks like" to you. If that were true, you'd only be corroborating the result of the research.

ever heard of projection?

you lot worship a depressed suicidal fellow and you call others suicidal.

1 Like

Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by KraticKratus: 11:54am On Nov 13, 2013
Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by italo: 1:01pm On Nov 13, 2013
I'm not the one calling you suicidal. Scientific research calls you suicidal.

KraticKratus:

ever heard of projection?

you lot worship a depressed suicidal fellow and you call others suicidal.
Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by italo: 1:04pm On Nov 13, 2013
You're not making a sensible point. The researchers didnt say religious people dont ever commit suicide.

It says you Atheists and you families are more likely to destroy your lives than believers.

KraticKratus: https://www.nairaland.com/1515628/pastor-commits-suicide-after-sunday

1 Like

Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by Nobody: 1:27pm On Nov 13, 2013
Okay....erm.....

I will become a pagan then.....pagans are less likely to commit suicide

Mtchew......

1 Like

Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by KraticKratus: 1:40pm On Nov 13, 2013
italo:
I'm not the one calling you suicidal. Scientific research calls you suicidal.

Evidence shows that your god was suicidal or would you rather we discard biblical evidence in this instance?
Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by KraticKratus: 1:42pm On Nov 13, 2013
italo: You're not making a sensible point. The researchers didnt say religious people dont ever commit suicide.

It says you Atheists and you families are more likely to destroy your lives than believers.

Likely to commit suicide = Atheists.

Actually committed suicide = Religious people (and their gods).

3 Likes

Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by wiegraf: 7:14pm On Nov 15, 2013
Assuming your data is accurate op, first up, you do realize your issue is with folk that want to die, eg some brands of nihilists, yes? Or you can show me atheist doctrine which mandates we commit suicide? I can show you doctrine that encourages one to suicide though. Simply look at medieval japan and harakiri or muslims and 72 vir.gins. See? Atheism has absolutely nothing of the sort, so I fail to see the problem here. Their decisions to was theirs and theirs alone. Looks like a contradiction? It isn't.

If you're looking for why they did it mind you, you post they have "less contact with family members", etc etc. I hope religiosity isn't responsible for that, hmm?

Before any si.lly 'holier than thou' as well, not that I necessarily agree with their position, but you do know that contrary to your beliefs living might not be a 'blessing' or whatever nonsense you'd like to spout. I could even argue that some xtians/etc stay alive needlessly, when a graceful end would be much better. I, for instance, would rather be dead than completely paralyzed. My position.

The talk of not having as many children as religious, hope you're not insinuating that's some sort of crime? Else...well

And you post bits about atheist 'anger', really? After I posted all those nice charts showing the rates of violent crime and religosity? We have people on this board claiming they would happily watch people burn for eternity, singing and dancing next door, if that isn't anger I wonder what is. Certainly isn't love. Those forcing people to go through pregnancies, etc etc. I would much rather take atheist 'anger' than that nonsense, thank you.

4 Likes

Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by nnofaith: 9:35pm On Nov 15, 2013
I will rather kill myself than to committ suicide!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by mazaje(m): 3:59am On Nov 16, 2013
LOL @ KraticKratus. . . grin

1 Like

Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by frank317: 7:13am On Nov 16, 2013
Whats the point living on when ur life is so much fucckked up. I might as well take the gaddam life and go chill with god, sipping heavinly champaign.

2 Likes

Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by beejaay: 11:11am On Nov 16, 2013
KraticKratus: I wonder how Jesus would have fared if tested for depression and suicidal tendencies.

guy u bad ooo wetin the xtians guys do you nah
Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by italo: 9:57am On Nov 20, 2013
Logicboy03: Okay....erm.....

I will become a pagan then.....pagans are less likely to commit suicide

Mtchew......

Well, according to psychiatrists, not me.
Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by italo: 10:02am On Nov 20, 2013
KraticKratus:

Evidence shows that your god was suicidal or would you rather we discard biblical evidence in this instance?

Yes, I'd rather we discard biblical evidence which Atheists on this forum always ask us to discard in discussions.

Stick to scientific evidence which Atheists always clamour for...and we both believe in.

You and your family are more likely to kill yourselves, than me and my family.

I just worry for you...if you're still alive.

1 Like

Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by italo: 10:09am On Nov 20, 2013
wiegraf: Assuming your data is accurate op, first up, you do realize your issue is with folk that want to die, eg some brands of nihilists, yes? Or you can show me atheist doctrine which mandates we commit suicide? I can show you doctrine that encourages one to suicide though. Simply look at medieval japan and harakiri or muslims and 72 vir.gins. See? Atheism has absolutely nothing of the sort, so I fail to see the problem here. Their decisions to was theirs and theirs alone. Looks like a contradiction? It isn't.

If you're looking for why they did it mind you, you post they have "less contact with family members", etc etc. I hope religiosity isn't responsible for that, hmm?

Before any si.lly 'holier than thou' as well, not that I necessarily agree with their position, but you do know that contrary to your beliefs living might not be a 'blessing' or whatever nonsense you'd like to spout. I could even argue that some xtians/etc stay alive needlessly, when a graceful end would be much better. I, for instance, would rather be dead than completely paralyzed. My position.

The talk of not having as many children as religious, hope you're not insinuating that's some sort of crime? Else...well

And you post bits about atheist 'anger', really? After I posted all those nice charts showing the rates of violent crime and religosity? We have people on this board claiming they would happily watch people burn for eternity, singing and dancing next door, if that isn't anger I wonder what is. Certainly isn't love. Those forcing people to go through pregnancies, etc etc. I would much rather take atheist 'anger' than that nonsense, thank you.

How did you forget the first line of my OP. " From the American Journal of Psychiatry?"

They are the ones saying all these, not me.

I'm just disgusted by the Atheists who claim that they, rather than religious people are happier and living life to the full.
Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by Nobody: 10:37am On Nov 20, 2013
italo:

Well, according to psychiatrists, not me.

lol....it was according to your misinterpretation of the study
Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by Rhymeyjohn: 11:16am On Nov 20, 2013
italo: You dont want scientific evidence anymore?

That is hypocrisy!

Dont mind the atheists, its part of their mental incoherrent state. and funny enough they are proud of it-it shows how sunk deep an atheist is intellectually.
Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by Nobody: 11:21am On Nov 20, 2013
Rhymeyjohn: Dont mind the atheists, its part of their mental incoherrent state. and funny enough they are proud of it-it shows how sunk deep an atheist is intellectually.

Ah, lol.....from the religion of young earth creationism, belief in talking snakes and donkeys, faith healing, tithe sowing and pastorpreneurs.....you are much a hypocrite to talk about the mental state of atheists
Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by Rhymeyjohn: 11:21am On Nov 20, 2013
Logicboy03:

lol....it was according to your misinterpretation of the study
plaese what interpretation, you are an embarassement to literate folks if you cant deduce a simple conclusion from the op. and such is the high acme of intelligence atheism holds high SHAME!
Re: Atheists More Likely To Self-destruct And Commit Suicide! by Nobody: 11:27am On Nov 20, 2013
Rhymeyjohn: plaese what interpretation, you are an embarassement to literate folks if you cant deduce a simple conclusion from the op. and such is the high acme of intelligence atheism holds high SHAME!

From the study

RESULTS: [size=18pt]Religiously unaffiliated[/size] subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder. No differences in the level of subjective and objective depression, hopelessness, or stressful life events were found. CONCLUSIONS: Religious affiliation is associated with less suicidal behavior in depressed inpatients. After other factors were controlled, it was found that greater moral objections to suicide and lower aggression level in religiously affiliated subjects may function as protective factors against suicide attempts. Further study about the influence of religious affiliation on aggressive behavior and how moral objections can reduce the probability of acting on suicidal thoughts may offer new therapeutic strategies in suicide prevention.

1) You can believe in God, yet not follow any religion....so it is not necessarily atheists that the study is about. A non religious person can be an atheist or a theist

2) It was studying already depressed patients. You forget that religion can be an opium. Happiness and anti-suicidal tendency does not necessarily mean a sane person

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Anglican Bishop Arrested In Prostitution Sting / Quotations Against Tithing By Reputable Men Of God / Our Daily Manna For 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.