Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,773 members, 7,806,131 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:55 AM

"Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN (59929 Views)

Nigeria Banks Are Now Black Market For Dollars Abroad? / Multiple Taxation Cause Businesses To Fail - FIRS / Sort Codes For Nigerian Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by akraym(m): 7:22pm On Nov 12, 2013
Akuneshiobike: First City Microfinance Bank (FCMB) remains my favourite Bank till Christ come. I am highly satisfied with their quality of products and services. CBN are talking trash!
They are talking about commercial banks, you are talking of microfinance bank undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by akraym(m): 7:24pm On Nov 12, 2013
Stevosty: If you are not banking with UBA and/or GTB, you are dead.
haba, its too much nah. why wishing people dead
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by lincolnj88: 7:29pm On Nov 12, 2013
Hmmm my fidelity bank and unity bank where una dey with my money oh
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Stevosty: 7:31pm On Nov 12, 2013
akraym: haba, its too much nah. why wishing people dead
eh, I dey fear you, where you for see that "dead"
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by mencer(m): 7:35pm On Nov 12, 2013
petkoffDrake: I kno my bank wil b among! kiss GTB
Na you get am? Why are you people claiming my bank my bank as if you're among the holders of these banks?
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by speaktome(m): 7:39pm On Nov 12, 2013
My D I A M O N D my B A N K
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by HopeAtHand: 7:42pm On Nov 12, 2013
I did not see my Sterling bank..

Chai, my ONE CUSTOMER bannk.

E be lyk na only me dey put money there..

I will become a billionaire because of una.

I promise.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Sike(m): 7:49pm On Nov 12, 2013
This una CBN no get sense at all. Them mention only 8 banks among all the banks wey dey naija. Wetin dem want make the rest dey do? Stop Banking?? Nonsense!
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 7:54pm On Nov 12, 2013
This is good to know!
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Militaryzone(m): 7:58pm On Nov 12, 2013
braine: With the way Ecobank deduct their hidden charges from my account• I just dey look them• Bloody thieves• angry
Wao! I tot is only me o! I was even thinking of closing my a/c with dem today. Is very irritating deducting #50 for trans @ pos, #205 debited for verve card enhancement fees. Etc. Imagine deducting such amt for over 120millions costumers round Africa. They re really thieves. Other banks I partner with dont do so.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Frankiedu(m): 8:08pm On Nov 12, 2013
[b][/b]
braine: With the way Ecobank deduct their hidden charges from my account• I just dey look them• Bloody thieves• angry
omó the way u talk am be lyk say u no use clear eyes oh! grin
omó the way u talk am be lyk say u no use clear eyes oh!
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 8:13pm On Nov 12, 2013
akraym: haba, its too much nah. why wishing people dead
He's an ideot. Mumu
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by ibe9ja: 8:20pm On Nov 12, 2013
Olodo CBN... This is the same story we heard about ALMIGHTY Oceanic bank. Regulator wey dey cause problem to the sector wey dem dey regulate. Ode Oloriburuku... In fact, I am beginning to doubt this Central bank... I no even sure weda CBN itself too big to fail. Mtcheeeew
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by treatise: 8:27pm On Nov 12, 2013
Loskee: UNION BANK PEOPLE!!!
ENTERPRISE BANK...
FIDELITY!!!
FCMB!!!
STANBIC!!!
STERLING!!!
STANDARD CHARTERED!!!

NDI A, BEWAAAARRRRRREEEEE!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
The narratives imply the magnitude of impacts if any of the 8 fails not necessarily that those not mentioned are tendencious toward asphyxia. If any of the others fails, the spiral effects could be contained more easily if juxtaposed with the mentioned 8. I am stunned that most Nairalanders viewed the discourse in a comical and trivial manner. Hello !

1 Like

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by toms55(m): 8:31pm On Nov 12, 2013
Chillisauce: I hope standard chartered is safe undecided

I no wan hear story o
grin grin grin..dem don hear grin
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by treatise: 8:37pm On Nov 12, 2013
True_igbo: What happens to the. Like of Union bank- big strong reliable
The narratives imply the magnitude of impacts if any of the 8 fails not necessarily that those not mentioned are tendencious toward asphyxia. If any of the others fails, the spiral effects could be contained more easily when juxtaposed with the mentioned 8. I am stunned that most Nairalanders viewed the discourse in a comical and trivial manner. Hello !

1 Like

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Chizua(m): 8:43pm On Nov 12, 2013
Elliotwiz1: Are they indirectly telling Nigerians to deal with these banks alone?
...please help me ask them. They want to do another maggic.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by chucky234(m): 8:45pm On Nov 12, 2013
GTB lead,others follow.
Like if you are team GTBank.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by PHIPEX(m): 8:50pm On Nov 12, 2013
This CBN still hasn't learnt how to talk, of what benefit is this information to the general populace? How about doing its job without announcing to the world that some banks are more healthy than others? I hope this news wouldn't create unnecessary panic in the system.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by iterator25: 8:50pm On Nov 12, 2013
lincolnj88: Hmmm my fidelity bank and unity bank where una dey with my money oh
they've used it to buy bean cakes for their staffs lipsrsealed
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Uchexxy(m): 8:54pm On Nov 12, 2013
Dominionng: LIKE ALWAYS.. First Bank will everly delay!
My bro u are on point, everythin bout first bank dey always get comma
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by JosephCudjoe(m): 8:55pm On Nov 12, 2013
Elliotwiz1: Are they indirectly telling Nigerians to deal with these banks alone?
Guy a word is enof 4 d wise...
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by DTaj: 8:58pm On Nov 12, 2013
Ogbuefienubiaka: This CBN is just dum and not ready to learn anything. i work in one of the 8 banks mentioned that this kind of statement is not fair to others and to the industry as whole.

our CBN should should be sent to USA and advanc societ to learn why these regulators there hardly ever make any statement .

i hope this will not lead to another run on the other banks. just pity them

This is one of the dangers of unbridled access to the internet! What you don't know, you don't know! This generation is so lazy that they don't even do basic research! You've just shown your dumb-ass ignorance for insulting CBN for nothing. You've succeeded in exposing your ignorance! Systemically Important Banks are published globally! See evidence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemically_important_financial_institution

In the UK: Global Systemically Important Banks (G-SIBs) are determined based on four main criteria: (a) size, (b) cross-jurisdiction activity, (c) complexity, and (d) substitutability. The list of G-SIBs is published annually by the Financial Stability Board. The G-SIBs must maintain a higher capital level – capital surcharge – compared to other banks.

In 2012, the FSB updated the list of G-SIBs, and the following banks were included: Bank of America, Bank of China, Bank of New York Mellon, Barclays, BBVA, BNP Paribas, Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, Goldman Sachs, Groupe BPCE, Group Crédit Agricole, HSBC, ING Bank, J.P. Morgan Chase, Mitsubishi UFJ FG, Mizuho FG, Morgan Stanley, Nordea, Royal Bank of Scotland, Santander, Société Générale, Standard Chartered, State Street, Sumitomo Mitsui FG, UBS, Unicredit Group, Wells Fargo.

Compared with the group of G-SIBs published in 2011, two banks have been added: BBVA and Standard Chartered; and three banks removed: Dexia, as it is undergoing an orderly resolution process, and Commerzbank and Lloyds, as result of a decline in their global systemic importance.

In the US: In the USA, the largest banks are regulated by the Federal Reserve (FRB) and the Office of the Comptroller of Currency (OCC). These regulators set the selection criteria, establish hypothetical adverse scenarios and oversee the annual tests. 19 banks operating in the U.S. (at the top tier) have been subject to such testing since 2009. Banks showing difficulty under the stress tests are required to postpone share buybacks, curtail dividend plans and if necessary raise additional capital financing.

CBN HAS DONE NOTHING WRONG, IGNORANT PEOPLE!!! Go check Basel commitments! SIBs/SIFIs, include banks, insurance, and other financial institutions whose distress or failure, as a result of their size, complexity and systemic interconnectedness, is capable of significantly disrupting the wider financial system and economic activity in the country, and they are published world wide.

CBN is just being proactive by seeking to prevent the pitfalls of our recent banking industry history, and one ignorant fellow (most probably a non-banker and/or somone without any relationship with the financial service industry, is spewing rubbish on this site probably because he hates Sanusi!).

And for your information, the CBN, 3 weeks ago, issued an Exposure Draft Framework for the SIBs (for operators to review and make their comments, as the CBN under Sanusi has continued to do since he took over) which would include higher requirements well above those of other non-SIBs such as higher capital adequaxy ratio, higher liquidity ratio, higher minimum NPL ratio, etc!

Some ignorant fellows should not mislead Nairalanders as one could see a couple of 'likes' already ascribed to this ignorant post!

6 Likes

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Stevosty: 9:02pm On Nov 12, 2013
naijaborn001:
He's an ideot. Mumu
don't be an illiterate "ideot", check the original quote before jumping to conclusion.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 9:07pm On Nov 12, 2013
True_igbo: Please do not post adverts in this section, to avoid being banned.

So much threat on nairaland dis days.

Wetin I. Wan write self

Yet adverts are making front page...

Seun is allowing himself to be guided by oyinbo people interpretation or definition of nairaland... '' the biggest online nigerian site which is highly unregulated ''..

btw,. What concerns me with what people think of me
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by mystical10: 9:07pm On Nov 12, 2013
goldenspoon: nawa oo wetin concern me jore..
hw e go concern u,bc wetin concern boko haram wit ASUU strike. Notin concern madman wit banking ofcus
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by SIRNIMS(m): 9:09pm On Nov 12, 2013
J
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Stevosty: 9:14pm On Nov 12, 2013
okpara ugo:

Yet adverts are making front page...
Tv
Seun is allowing himself to be guided by oyinbo people interpretation or definition of nairaland... '' the biggest online nigerian site which is highly unregulated ''..

btw,. What concerns me with what people think of me
Who ever is regulating should show competence, not banning people anyhow, it is becoming discouraging to visit nairaland with their ridiculous and unnecessary ban.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by victorazy(m): 9:15pm On Nov 12, 2013
Which one come dey volatile
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Oluesther(f): 9:18pm On Nov 12, 2013
petkoffDrake: I kno my bank wil b among! kiss GTB

Not just among but on top. Well, let's wait for First Bank to release their's first.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by crowaddy(m): 9:19pm On Nov 12, 2013
alexdidi: The titanic was too big too fail...
What the statement simply means is that the CBN will not allow these banks to fail. It will use all available instruments including effective supervision and monitoring to ensure there are no crises or distress situations in these institutions to point of bailouts where necessary as a failure of any of these institutions would be catastrophic to the economy.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Robertbh(m): 9:22pm On Nov 12, 2013
[quote author=pelhurmy]plz,wea is WEMA bank Are you a learner? How good is WEMA?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Shyngle: Herbert Wigwe’s Father Slumps, Rushed To Hospital / I Got Credit Alert From A Loan App I Did Not Apply For (Photos) / FCMB Replies Customer Who Requested For Loan To Buy Sex Doll

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.