Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,278 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:45 AM

"Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN (59934 Views)

Nigeria Banks Are Now Black Market For Dollars Abroad? / Multiple Taxation Cause Businesses To Fail - FIRS / Sort Codes For Nigerian Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by mercurie(f): 9:35pm On Nov 12, 2013
Adikam:
dey re into daily contribution now dey go soon visit ur area

@ daily contribution, do u mean AKAWO?
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by smiley1985(f): 9:40pm On Nov 12, 2013
victorv12: If your bank is not listed among the banks CBN mentioned, the earlier you transfer your money to another bank the better. Anybody that's familiar with the Nigeria banking system, whenever our bankers are trying to do some funny things, they always send out some signals.

It's now left for the entire public to decide their gameplay. Abeg everybody, try stay vigilant for ur money matter o! Nigeria bankers are not different from our politicians. They're even more dangerous than our politicians, because we trust them. Shine ur eyes!

Did you read the post to understand it or you scanned thru it?

To most posters here, please read the post again and this time read patiently.
They are not telling u that these banks are the best, but that CBN has to focus on them in d case of un-eventualities
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by onyichick(f): 9:43pm On Nov 12, 2013
na so dem tell us say oceanic bank,fin bank etc gud.where dem dey now.i dnt blv all these stories cos at d end all these banks will begin to fold up abi na disappear sef
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by smiley1985(f): 9:47pm On Nov 12, 2013
PHIPEX: This CBN still hasn't learnt how to talk, of what benefit is this information to the general populace? How about doing its job without announcing to the world that some banks are more healthy than others? I hope this news wouldn't create unnecessary panic in the system.

I so wish I can UNLIKE this post
Yes I can
UNLIKESSSSS
Read the post and if u don't get the msg repeat it
Haba, upon say ur comment been wan make sense
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by IYANGBALI: 9:50pm On Nov 12, 2013
How about wema bank and oceanic bank?na there my money dey o
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Spacodinho(m): 9:51pm On Nov 12, 2013
braine: With the way Ecobank deduct their hidden charges from my account• I just dey look them• Bloody thieves• angry
hahaha i don die!
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 9:54pm On Nov 12, 2013
Loskee: UNION BANK PEOPLE!!!
ENTERPRISE BANK...
FIDELITY!!!
FCMB!!!
STANBIC!!!
STERLING!!!
STANDARD CHARTERED!!!

NDI A, BEWAAAARRRRRREEEEE!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

KEYSTONE
MAINSTREET
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Raypawer(m): 10:05pm On Nov 12, 2013
although still among GTB, but Zenith Bank Experience is too sweet...

before #teamGTB, but Now, #teamZenith

iterator25: #teamGTB
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Rickybel(m): 10:16pm On Nov 12, 2013
"Too big to fail" hmmmm sounds familiar

Lehman Brothers
CIT Group
Washington Mutual
General Motors
Enron
Worldcom

Companies that were also too big to fail
No bank is too big to fail,and if it does be sure Govt will bail them out to curtail disastrous effetcs it might bring on our economy.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by obainojazz(m): 10:43pm On Nov 12, 2013
CBN should get their facts right....my pocket is damm too big to fail....with the world best a.t.m(my hands)...and finger prints are compulsory...let dem beat dat menn....and d machine can withdraw from 5# to 500#...it pays 1000# sumtyms sha...now am i lying peeps
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Godmann(m): 10:49pm On Nov 12, 2013
paranorman: First Bank of Nigeria Limited, Guaranty Trust Bank Plc (GTBank), Zenith Bank Plc, United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA), Access Bank Plc, Skye Bank Plc, Ecobank Nigeria and Diamond Bank Plc have been designated by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), as “too big to fail”, owing to the fact that their failure could pose a systemic risk to the banking industry and the larger economy.

The eight banks alone account for 75 per cent of the banking sector in terms of earnings, profitability assets, customer deposits and branch networks.

The CBN, it was learnt, has therefore adopted a more robust regulatory regime to monitor and scrutinise the eight banks, in order to ensure that they are healthy.

The central bank has also asked the eight banks to increase their capital base in order to give them a buffer against internal and exogenous shocks.

Confirming this development, Deputy Governor (Operations), CBN, Mr. Tunde Lemo, described the financial institutions as systemically important because of their size.

Lemo pointed out that any bank that accounts for five per cent of the banking system is systemically important.

“What that means is that we have to take a closer look at them. It doesn’t mean that they are weak, it is just that we have to focus more attention on them because, God forbid, if something happens to any of them, it may affect the entire system,” Lemo said.

Asked about the capital base that the respective banks are expected to have, the CBN deputy governor said: “It is not that they were asked to raise their capital base, it is just that when an institution is designated as systemically important, it is required to have more capital.”

For Zenith Bank, its recently released results for nine months ending September 30, 2013 showed that its profit after tax stood at N64 billion with loans and advances of N1.1 trillion. The bank also reported gross earnings of N255 billion at the end of September 2013, up by 11 per cent from the N229 billion recorded in the corresponding period in 2012.

Zenith Bank’s total market capitalisation on the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) stood at N675.024 billion yesterday.

Also, GTBank’s profit after tax stood at N69.24 billion at the end of September 2013, as against N63.734 billion earned in the same period in 2012. GTBank’s total assets also stood at N1.875 trillion, compared to the N1.73 trillion as at December 2012. Its share price on the NSE closed at N25.99 per share yesterday, giving it a market capitalisation of N764.916 billion.

In the same vein, UBA’s unaudited results for the nine months ending September 30, 2013 also revealed that its profit after tax climbed to N37.37 billion. With a market capitalisation of N257.255 billion on the NSE, its share price closed at N7.80 per share.

For Access Bank, its recently released unaudited nine-month results showed gross earnings of N154 billion at the end of September 2013. Its profit before tax also stood at N35 billion. Access Bank’s market capitalisation on the NSE was N213.269 billion yesterday, while its shares closed at N9.32 per share.

Skye Bank Plc’s gross earnings rose to N102 billion at the end of September 2013, while its profit after tax stood at N11.650 billion.
Diamond Bank also posted a profit before tax of N25.6 billion, while its total assets stood at N1.377 trillion at the end of September 2013.

First Bank of Nigeria Limited is yet to release its third quarter results because of its holding company structure. [Thisday]

LAIRS

The size of a bank has no relationship with the easy with which the bank can fail. The best determinant is the quality of the Bank's Assets(Loans given out) or better said, the soundness of the bank's book.

When Western Banks were failing - the lehman brothers, Merrill Lynch and the rest in America. Royal Bank of Scotland, lloyds tsb, Bank of Scotland in UK (All saved by direct buy over by British government), the investment bank owned by Dutch were going down; their sizes did not matter.

Back Home, Union Bank use to be one of the biggest; Afri Bank also; today where are they.

Do not let lairs deceive you. Any bank can go down given bad management, corruption and a weak monitoring CBN.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by akintun: 10:54pm On Nov 12, 2013
CBN copy copy. I just read an article on Forbes, where 80 banks were listed as too big to fail.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Loskee(f): 10:58pm On Nov 12, 2013
treatise:
The narratives imply the magnitude of impacts if any of the 8 fails not necessarily that those not mentioned are tendencious toward asphyxia. If any of the others fails, the spiral effects could be contained more easily if juxtaposed with the mentioned 8. I am stunned that most Nairalanders viewed the discourse in a comical and trivial manner. Hello !

Hi! Patrick Obaghiagbon on Nairaland... we hear you loud and clear. DUH?! undecided undecided undecided
you, my grammarian need not be stunned, because Nigeria is a total comic right now. Nigerian people have tried in ways civil and barbaric to air their views with little reward for their good intents and purposes. so we will just sit back and observe as things unfold. when things start getting serious, we will also get serious. save your energies for the rainy day, fellow Nigerians.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by idb4life: 10:58pm On Nov 12, 2013
Am truely disappointed at this statement from a regulatory bank like CBN.what kind of statement is this and what impression are they to create out there.All these are just political statement .don't be surprise that most of these listed banks are banks that settled some thieves in Cbn to come come out with such report.years ago that was they were singing the praises of oceanic,bank phb and intercontinenta
l banks but today where are those banks.CbN shud be sue for this report
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by PHIPEX(m): 11:02pm On Nov 12, 2013
smiley1985:

I so wish I can UNLIKE this post
Yes I can
UNLIKESSSSS
Read the post and if u don't get the msg repeat it
Haba, upon say ur comment been wan make sense

It is your choice my dear but what am saying is that this kind of news can be interpreted differently by different people. To some, it means the other banks can fail any moment and you know what that implies. Even if they are too big to fail, why make it a public service announcement? Remember what the public responses were when Soludo said our banks were immuned to global financial crises.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Nobody: 11:05pm On Nov 12, 2013
Biggest lie of 2013. The cbn is being run by dullards.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by nafada2: 6:03am On Nov 13, 2013
Oga governor sanusi and other stakeholders, what r u pple doing abt d evil practice of these banks who employ our graduates as contract staff, denying of incentives. Most of them struggle to dress well.pls u pple shld luk into this.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by ITbomb(m): 6:49am On Nov 13, 2013
Why is FCMB not there and Wetin Access dey do for this list .
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by dreu2fine(m): 7:58am On Nov 13, 2013
Na waoo,i sory 4comunity banks ooo,dat one na try ur luck,if e apen no blame anybdy
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by johnwell(m): 8:13am On Nov 13, 2013
True_igbo: What happens to the. Like of Union bank- big strong reliable

Memories of PAST GLORY!
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by shiftmarket(m): 8:32am On Nov 13, 2013
For those that have used the title to make comments, let me give you what the appropriate title to the write up should have been, "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To Be Allowed To Fail!" - CBN)"

Please note the bolded

1 Like

Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by LemonBoy1: 8:57am On Nov 13, 2013
Malakh: why CBN dey deceive una , the question you guys should ask yourselves who runs all central banks and who does all central banks answer to?

U mean "world bank" ?
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by jaybossYBNL(m): 9:09am On Nov 13, 2013
Thank God My Banks Made The List
Gtbank And Ecobank
My Chicken Change Dey Safe Hands Sha
Hey Guys Pls Use This Link When You Wanna Shop Online, Its Safe To Shop Here http:///?k_id=JayBoss
I am inviting you to come and join my league and prove your worth guys, its the best on GFM the pin is 7271 and the league name is YBNL League.
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by akubudejud(m): 9:11am On Nov 13, 2013
Arrange from least to best

FirstBank (least)------Gtbank (best)
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by alexvatt(m): 9:12am On Nov 13, 2013
Most nairalanders dont understand english. CBN does not say these banks are strong. CBN says nigeria can't afford to see these banks fail. That the 8 banks own 75% of nigerian depositors. That it will be disasterious should any of these banks fail. That CBN needs to monitor their activities in other to forstall any calamity. Is a warning letter to these eight banks. Too- big- to- fail means too- costly- to fail. Imagine banks like zenith, gtb, firstbank and UBA liquidate. What do u think will hapen to our economy?
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by akubudejud(m): 9:17am On Nov 13, 2013
alexvatt: Most nairalanders dont understand english. CBN does not say these banks are strong. CBN says nigeria can't afford to see these banks fail. That the 8 banks own 75% of nigerian depositors. That it will be disasterious should any of these banks fail. That CBN needs to monitor their activities in other to forstall any calamity. Is a warning letter to these eight banks. Too- big- to- fail means too- costly- to fail. Imagine banks like zenith, gtb, firstbank and UBA liquidate. What do u think will hapen to our economy?

..okey we don hear you ahahah..!but dont insult people just contribute your own because we are all still learning ENGLANDISH..!
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by notinmege: 9:48am On Nov 13, 2013
braine: With the way Ecobank deduct their hidden charges from my account• I just dey look them• Bloody thieves• angry

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Sorry oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Stdhayour: 10:05am On Nov 13, 2013
I just hate corporate bailout
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by Seyixyz: 10:32am On Nov 13, 2013
Una wicked o..Wer my bank na..My 1 and only...Savanna bank all d way
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by theency: 11:34am On Nov 13, 2013
LemonBoy1:

U mean "world bank" ?
Things don't happen in a vacuum buddy !
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by sademola: 1:08pm On Nov 13, 2013
This is not a good thing from CBN
Re: "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN by iamdsam: 1:27pm On Nov 13, 2013
Noted!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Got Credit Alert From A Loan App I Did Not Apply For (Photos) / Shyngle: Herbert Wigwe’s Father Slumps, Rushed To Hospital / FCMB Replies Customer Who Requested For Loan To Buy Sex Doll

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.