Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:47 AM

Is Killing A Fly Or Mosquito Murder? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Killing A Fly Or Mosquito Murder? (1218 Views)

Nigeria Will Gain Nothing By Killing Rev. King – Igbo Group Begs Buhari For Pard / Pastor Sign Fireman Arrested In Ritual Murder Case / TB Joshua - Pray Nigeria's Flag Doesn't Fly At Half-mast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Killing A Fly Or Mosquito Murder? by MyJoe: 6:01pm On Nov 12, 2013
Peter Singer, moral philosopher, answers seven-year-old Edie's question

The Guardian, Saturday 2 November 2013

I don't think so. I'm doubtful that insects such as flies and mosquitoes are conscious – that is, that they can feel pain, or enjoy their lives. But even if they can feel pain, something else is needed to make killing so wrong it deserves a word like "murder". We should use that term only for killing a being who wants to go on living – and to want to go on living, you have to be able to understand that you have a future. You, Edie, may be looking forward to Christmas. If an animal can't look forward to the future, killing it is less wrong than killing a being who can plan for the future.

By the way, I don't eat animals. But that is mainly because the way most of them are kept is so horrible – crowded into sheds, never getting to walk around outside, before being trucked to the slaughterhouse. And with pigs and cows – unlike flies and mosquitoes – it's reasonable to believe they have enough sense of the future to want to go on living.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/nov/02/ask-grown-up-fly-mosquito-murder

Re: Is Killing A Fly Or Mosquito Murder? by Chylo(m): 6:04pm On Nov 12, 2013
So is he tryin to say killin a baby is not murder, because the baby has no sense of the future? End time tinz
Re: Is Killing A Fly Or Mosquito Murder? by Nobody: 12:13am On Nov 18, 2013
Myjoe please i need to talk to you, i went through your thread about vision, prophecy and clairvoyance.
Re: Is Killing A Fly Or Mosquito Murder? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:23am On Nov 18, 2013
xtian brain function never ceases to amaze me.
Re: Is Killing A Fly Or Mosquito Murder? by macof(m): 2:49am On Nov 18, 2013
Chylo: So is he tryin to say killin a baby is not murder, because the baby has no sense of the future? End time tinz

Babies have consciousness and do look forward to the future

As to the Op killing in War is not a sin
And do killing animals for food or sacrifice and killing insects that are creepy and scary cannot be a sin, I don't know why but it shouldn't be regarded as sin in any society and moral standards.

Animals and insects do have consciousness, energy is conscious and energy forms everything, these insects are sentient beings and salient beings have high forms of consciousness than any other kind of matter. And this makes them just a little different from humans
Re: Is Killing A Fly Or Mosquito Murder? by Chylo(m): 6:21pm On Nov 18, 2013
macof:

Babies have consciousness and do look forward to the future

As to the Op killing in War is not a sin
And do killing animals for food or sacrifice and killing insects that are creepy and scary cannot be a sin, I don't know why but it shouldn't be regarded as sin in any society and moral standards.

Animals and insects do have consciousness, energy is conscious and energy forms everything, these insects are sentient beings and salient beings have high forms of consciousness than any other kind of matter. And this makes them just a little different from humans

Oga sir, you are wrong. How baby dey look into the future? What are your earliest memories? Do u remember when you were in your mother's womb? As a baby, were you thinking about what job you would do, or the university you would go?? Abeg, this OP is just trying to make case for abortion jaare. It is wrong.

PS: Insects and animals have no soul, and therefore, no higher consciousness. Killing insect (eg mosquito) is very much allowed...

(1) (Reply)

Shocking:angel Appears In Redeem Church See Photos / Video Evidence Of Pastor TB Joshua Carrying 3bags Of Rice / SHOCKING! Read What A Woman Did To Her Baby In The Name Of Religion .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.