Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,094 members, 7,807,269 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:47 AM

Guys, What Is Your Take On "Walking Around Town To Submit CV?" - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Guys, What Is Your Take On "Walking Around Town To Submit CV?" (1696 Views)

Sleeping At Home Or Walking Around The Street? / Submit CV For IT Engineers And Enterprise Engineers Jobs At Spectranet Limited / Yay!! Push Cv Just Congratulated Me!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guys, What Is Your Take On "Walking Around Town To Submit CV?" by dljbd1(m): 9:19pm On Nov 12, 2013
Good days NLders, just as the topic states; I want to hear opinions and if its the best resort as I've been applying to firms online (majorly IT) from my house (without a job advert though) but over 98% has been futile so far. Since there is no formal job advert, is it the same as applying online at that period or am I not doing it right cos I always send a cover-letter with the CV; out of over 100 applications I've only been invited for one. What do you suggest? Should I just bone this online issue and trek it out. Thank you guys
Re: Guys, What Is Your Take On "Walking Around Town To Submit CV?" by Nobody: 12:00am On Nov 13, 2013
Going around to drop your cvs is worse than submitting online. Your cvs will more often than not end up in the trash can at the reception where u dropped it. Most Companies and firms don't tolerated unsolicited job applications especially the paper cvs

Also, one particular cv can't fit every firm and their work routines. You will need to tailor ur cv to match the vacancy or post.
I rather encourage U to continue searching online and only embark on a road trip if you r certain about the vacancy and firm/company.
Re: Guys, What Is Your Take On "Walking Around Town To Submit CV?" by dljbd1(m): 1:00am On Nov 13, 2013
mitwitdot: Going around to drop your cvs is worse than submitting online. Your cvs will more often than not end up in the trash can at the reception where u dropped it. Most Companies and firms don't tolerated unsolicited job applications especially the paper cvs

Also, one particular cv can't fit every firm and their work routines. You will need to tailor ur cv to match the vacancy or post.
I rather encourage U to continue searching online and only embark on a road trip if you r certain about the vacancy and firm/company.
These are very valid points. Thanks
I've just been under tension being at home now 5months. Though I recently came across a thread where a lot of NLders testified to worst cases. Is that supposed to encourage me? I just feel redundant during the day especially Monday mornings when the estate I live in becomes dry and see me at home till evening when I go to do private lessons. One might say at least I'm busy. In as much as I enjoy the company of kids and love to teach, doing lessons aren't my calling. I'm a Christian and don't doubt the fact that it's by Grace though; but God has to see you try at least. Well, thanks for the advise. I'll search for other companies and continue my online applications as advised. Gratitude
Re: Guys, What Is Your Take On "Walking Around Town To Submit CV?" by Nobody: 6:21am On Nov 13, 2013
Well same here; mine was worse after getting a job overseas only to lose it dude to documentation; my advise is to engage in something that takes idleness off your mind; i will be back in the country jobless; but i do freelance and remote development for people online programming so it will be a bit bearable; i think you should engage in something else; it doesn't have to be IT also.
Re: Guys, What Is Your Take On "Walking Around Town To Submit CV?" by davide470(m): 12:25pm On Nov 13, 2013
Well to me, walking around to submit your CV is better than sending it online, couple with the fact you also did Cover letter.(Personally, I don't believe in Cover letters). Some firms don't and will never advertise for Trainee positions, if they need, they asks the receptionist to bring up the CV's they have in which they make their choice and send invites for test.

Cheers
Re: Guys, What Is Your Take On "Walking Around Town To Submit CV?" by Nobody: 1:20pm On Nov 13, 2013
davide470: Well to me, walking around to submit your CV is better than sending it online, couple with the fact you also did Cover letter.(Personally, I don't believe in Cover letters). Some firms don't and will never advertise for Trainee positions, if they need, they asks the receptionist to bring up the CV's they have in which they make their choice and send invites for test.

Cheers

Well i quite disagree i know alot of HR(though doesn't mean anything); and of one their policy is to reduce paper works; if you saw the stack of Resume i saw at "XYZ" Bank one time, it was shocking and the sad part was that some of them were used as jotters; there are way too many resumes; even me looking at it was despair imagine each owner assuming they will stand out; which is why people are going for online solutions quick filtering and criteria matching.

2 Likes

Re: Guys, What Is Your Take On "Walking Around Town To Submit CV?" by dljbd1(m): 10:44am On Nov 14, 2013
pc guru: Well same here; mine was worse after getting a job overseas only to lose it dude to documentation; my advise is to engage in something that takes idleness off your mind; i will be back in the country jobless; but i do freelance and remote development for people online programming so it will be a bit bearable; i think you should engage in something else; it doesn't have to be IT also.
wow...i must confess, this is touching bro.
very touching... I sorry. If I may ask please, what documentation? Cos I'm thinking it might be cos of the various tags countries have placed on Nigerians generally.
and how did you get to apply to overseas in the first place? I should try it out too
Re: Guys, What Is Your Take On "Walking Around Town To Submit CV?" by Nobody: 10:54am On Nov 14, 2013
dl_jbd:
wow...i must confess, this is touching bro.
very touching... I sorry. If I may ask please, what documentation? Cos I'm thinking it might be cos of the various tags countries have placed on Nigerians generally.
and how did you get to apply to overseas in the first place? I should try it out too

I won't say it had anything to do with me being Nigerian; it was my Birth Certificate; i misplaced it during moving; and the one i used was like a receipt; the alternative was to come home and return but after looking at the opportunities Nigeria has to offer compared to Mauritius; i won't lie to you; my salary here in Mauritius for one month; is what in Nigeria i can cover one one project, and Nigeria has a bigger population just collect 1 Naira from everyone and you are made. You can apply normally i used LinkedIn; but the funny thing is as we are desperate to leave the country; others are desperate to come here; most of the people here kept asking how they can work in Nigeria. Our issue is that Corruption is widely encouraged in this country even Religious body go as far as embracing any corrupt leader as long as he can contribute to their cause. but use LinkedIn to apply that's how i got the job.
Re: Guys, What Is Your Take On "Walking Around Town To Submit CV?" by dljbd1(m): 10:56am On Nov 14, 2013
davide470: Well to me, walking around to submit your CV is better than sending it online, couple with the fact you also did Cover letter.(Personally, I don't believe in Cover letters). Some firms don't and will never advertise for Trainee positions, if they need, they asks the receptionist to bring up the CV's they have in which they make their choice and send invites for test.

Cheers
pc guru:

Well i quite disagree i know alot of HR(though doesn't mean anything); and of one their policy is to reduce paper works; if you saw the stack of Resume i saw at "XYZ" Bank one time, it was shocking and the sad part was that some of them were used as jotters; there are way too many resumes; even me looking at it was despair imagine each owner assuming they will stand out; which is why people are going for online solutions quick filtering and criteria matching.

You both have valid points. It all depends on the company. Yesterday I was made to understand that most insurance companies honour submitted CVs. I just tried walking around town and 3 out of 4 insurance companies I visited accepted my CV (with smile sef). Now I know that doesn't guarantee that I'll be contacted. That one is up to God.
The fact that I went out made my mind active. Rain sef beat my life....but I'm glad it did. lolz
Just do all you gotta do.
thanks for the various replies...others are welcomed
Re: Guys, What Is Your Take On "Walking Around Town To Submit CV?" by Nobody: 11:24am On Nov 14, 2013
I remember one crazy time; my friend and i got frustrated we just bought fuel in the car; ironed our suits and drove around,gate crashing all the companies on the island; at the end of the day my friend got a job; but it was the most memorable day of my life; we printed enuff cv, you would think we were sharing tracts, but sometimes it beats sitting at home doing nothing; i didn't get a job immediately but it got me some contacts; leaving the house is quite vital so its a mixture of both.
Re: Guys, What Is Your Take On "Walking Around Town To Submit CV?" by Nobody: 11:32am On Nov 14, 2013
ΒΆ would advise you consider going around to drop your cvs with companies as an option alongside online application. My sister got two good jobs in a week from companies she dropped her cvs with recently. This happened after countless online applications.

(1) (Reply)

Is An Msc In Petroleum Geophysics Scope Limiting? / Is Micro Biology A Good Course To Study? / How You Can Own Ur Dream Home As A Career Person

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.