Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,426 members, 7,808,524 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:01 PM

Urgent - I Need To Travel Home To Nigeria - Passport Expired - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Urgent - I Need To Travel Home To Nigeria - Passport Expired (1870 Views)

List Of Countries Nigeria Passport Holders Can Travel Visa Free / . / Can Any Tell Me Which Country Nigeria Passport Holder Can Go Without Visa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urgent - I Need To Travel Home To Nigeria - Passport Expired by Amamanx: 10:35pm On Nov 12, 2013
Hi

I was born in Nigeria, but for the past 8 years, I've been living in UK.

My Nigerian passport expired in 2011. I have a British passport.

My brother just passed away, and I need to get home ASAP for his funeral.

How do I renew my Nigerian passport? The online system makes no sense. In years gone by, I simply sent my passport by registered post and had it renewed. Now however, it seems that I am expected to attend an interview. It would cost me a lot of money to travel to London (I am far away).

Surely I do not need to be interviewed to renew my passport? I am Nigerian. That makes no sense at all.

Does anyone know what to do?

Thanks
Re: Urgent - I Need To Travel Home To Nigeria - Passport Expired by aaanu: 11:06pm On Nov 12, 2013
Hello my name is mrs Andrew I am a bonafide officer of the Nigerian immigration service pls call me @ work tommorow between 8am and 4pm and I will put you through I am working presently @ d ikeja passport office Alausa. My nos 08023274727 pls quote d name tolani so dat I can remember
Thanks
Re: Urgent - I Need To Travel Home To Nigeria - Passport Expired by Amamanx: 11:12pm On Nov 12, 2013
Thank you

But one thing that I am unsure - please let me know what you can do from Nigeria? I need to renew my passport here in the UK, so I can travel to Nigeria.

Thanks
Re: Urgent - I Need To Travel Home To Nigeria - Passport Expired by deflover(m): 3:53am On Nov 13, 2013
go and get an ETC ( emergence travel certificate ) i think you can get that in the UK......ask around boys use it back then once their passport has expired and didnt want to be seen wink wink wink
Re: Urgent - I Need To Travel Home To Nigeria - Passport Expired by AjaraEwuro: 6:45am On Nov 13, 2013
Call the Nigerian Embassy in London or go there. If you are in the UK, how expensive is it to travel to London? And you want to travel to Nigeria, which one is more expensive?
Re: Urgent - I Need To Travel Home To Nigeria - Passport Expired by Amamanx: 9:15am On Nov 13, 2013
Well obviously travel to Nigeria is more than travel to London. That goes without saying. But travel to London will be a further £200 - £300, which I don't want to have to incur.

London Embassy just say to call a separate number. The other people I call are utterly unhelpful.

The official website is extremely poor. It says I can complete one online - but the online form requires me attend an interview in London.

Again, I cannot need an interview to travel to my home.
Re: Urgent - I Need To Travel Home To Nigeria - Passport Expired by worry359(m): 9:46am On Nov 13, 2013
Why can't you travel on your British passport, then use Nigerian "expired" to enter.
Then renew in Nigeria?
Others have done this.
You may need to "give something" to immigration in Naija!
Re: Urgent - I Need To Travel Home To Nigeria - Passport Expired by Nobody: 9:55am On Nov 13, 2013
I travelled with a nigerian passport and a valid foreign passport in July. According to IATA it is very legal and you can travel. However you must renew in Nigeria when you get there. It's very legal and no big deal
Re: Urgent - I Need To Travel Home To Nigeria - Passport Expired by Amamanx: 11:23am On Nov 13, 2013
Interesting. Thanks.

Had your Nigerian passport expired? - and they allowed you entry without problem?
Re: Urgent - I Need To Travel Home To Nigeria - Passport Expired by Nobody: 11:26am On Nov 13, 2013
Amamanx: Interesting. Thanks.

Had your Nigerian passport expired? - and they allowed you entry without problem?

Yes it expired over 2 years ago.....the airline wouldn't let you board if it's not legal cos they get fined majorly....but as long as you have a valid foreign passport you are allowed to travel without any problems. Yes they let me in when I got to Nigeria. It is actually very illegal for a country to refuse its citizens(esp by birth) entry except that person has no proof of being a Nigerian or maybe committed a grievous crime(I guess)
Re: Urgent - I Need To Travel Home To Nigeria - Passport Expired by Amamanx: 11:40am On Nov 13, 2013
That sounds very positive thank you. I have a young family here, and I'm worried about some problem in travel in or out of Nigeria.

The only difficulty then is getting it renewed in Nigeria. The family funeral is in the village - and far from Passport Office's.

Something to consider though smiley
Re: Urgent - I Need To Travel Home To Nigeria - Passport Expired by folanaira: 7:17pm On Aug 07, 2015
Amamanx:
How was your travel? Were you able to travel on the expired Nigerian passport?
Can you also highlight where you were traveling from and what your experience was like?

(1) (Reply)

10 World's Cheapest Holiday Destinations For 2016 / Dad Studied In America, Now Regretting Why He Didn't Stay Back! / Travel To Germany

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.