Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:25 PM

The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport (38255 Views)

The Shame Called Nigerian Embassy In Johannesburg, SA / The Bad State Of Murtala Muhammed International Airport / Jonathan Transforms Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by bcomputer101: 1:08am On Nov 13, 2013
How much does a country need to keep its busiest international airport from running like an oven? The Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos has to be the hottest airport in the world. It is easily the hottest I have travelled through and I have been through quite a lot of airports. Even the Nairobi airport in Kenya that was engulfed by fire is not as hot as the MMIA. You should not even get started with comparing it with the airport in Cape Town or Johannesburg, South Africa. Ghana’s Kotoka International Airport, Accra may be small but it does not meet you with the repulsiveness the MMIA greets you with. Even the Eyadema airport in Togo has a better atmosphere. The Léopold Sédar Senghor International Airport in Dakar, Senegal trumps ours by light years. This is speaking of African countries. We dare not try to compare with airports outside Africa. As soon as you descend from the plane to go through the immigration point, the feeling is as though you were being punished for daring to travel to Nigeria – if a foreigner – or you were being punished for daring to leave the country – if a Nigerian. The saddest part of this reality is that money is not the reason why we have an airport that makes us look like we are a people without shame. Or, are we?

There is a chance you are busy during the week. If you find time this Sunday, please pay a visit to the MMIA. Find your way to the Departure Hall. If it does not remind you of the old Oshodi in Lagos, I’d write an apology for everyone who says it doesn’t. Of course, there is a chance they quickly react to this piece to make a few cosmetic changes. If it looks better this Sunday because of this piece, just wait another four weeks; I can bet it will be back to its seamy self. Last Sunday, there were more touts than there were passengers inside the airport. The system is such that even getting your boarding pass to travel is made difficult so an incentive is created for you to engage one of the touts. I was approached to pay N5,000 to get my boarding pass. I wouldn’t pay because I just needed to see if I’d miss my flight despite arriving over three hours earlier. If that had happened, I’d have made sure the airline in question never gets to try it with anyone again. Where else could an anomaly like this happen? If you arrive the airport two hours before your flight, there is a chance you miss your flight not because that is not enough time before your flight but because somehow, someway, bottlenecks have been created to make you need touts to do what you’d do within minutes elsewhere. Nigeria is a nightmare!

If per chance you are wondering why one would dedicate a column to an airport of all the myriad of issues facing Nigeria, please have a rethink. The airport is an essential part of a country’s prestige and perception. Any country with a badly managed airport as ours is likely to be as badly managed as our country. If a country cannot manage its main airport, how can it manage anything else? Travelling through Section D 34 on Sunday and it was as though someone was increasing the heat as we were getting boiled. How much does it cost to make the air-conditioning systems work? What does it cost to make the airport clean enough? Why should we have people in queues for hours just to go through immigration and security checks? Why have more metal detectors if passengers are made to use just one or two on most occasions? Body scanners have been in use since 2007, how much does it cost to have them in our major airports? Why is Nigeria the only country where, to travel, you must have your box opened and ransacked by security men? What is the essence of running these same bags through electronic security? Why in the world can’t we get even the simplest of things right?

The first impression you get about a country upon visiting is its airport. There are people who intentionally run their flight connections through some airports just to make use of their facilities or make purchases. I know people who travel to other parts of the world but make sure to travel through Dubai simply because of the travel experience. I dare not start comparing our airports with Dubai’s because then I’d be comparing two things of different kinds. You will not find a Nigerian who has been outside of this country who is not ashamed of our airports. Of course, this does not include Nigerians who call things that do not exist as though they do; Nigerians who look at the poverty and gross unemployment and proclaim our lives are being transformed. You will not find a Nigerian who has the ability to face the truth who’d not admit shame at looking at our major airports. I was at the Addis Ababa airport last August when a Nigerian started lamenting behind me. She was shocked even Ethiopia could do better than the “giANT” of Africa. Giant ko, dwarf ni. We stay living in a delusion of grandeur that does not exist.

Having said all this, I will never be able to describe the pain and sadness that come with travelling from the MMIA. The only way you won’t feel this sadness is if you’ve gone past caring about this country or you are one of the reasons this country is so messed us as it is. The MMIA was modelled after Amsterdam’s Schipol. Over 40 years later, the MMIA is worse than it looked when the military government of Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo remodelled it. Just look at Schipol airport today. If you dare compare both, tears will fill your eyes before you even get started.

Where then do we start? We can start by doing away with the touts inside the lobby. We can start by ensuring the air-conditioning systems work. We can look to make sure passengers are well-treated on arrival and departure. We always look at problems and immediately assume throwing money at them will solve them. I have since realised half the problems with Nigeria have nothing to do with money. Even with all the money in the world, our airports and our country will not work as long as we do not have people who care about excellence. Caring about excellence means knowing that Nigerians deserve the best all the time. When we reserve the rights citizens of other countries take for granted, upgrade such to privileges for our citizens, we will always miss the point of making things work. Nigerians deserve more but as long as we have people – including the President – dancing on national TV because a road contract has been awarded, we’d always have a situation where mediocrity will remain the norm. Would anyone say the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway is the mess it is because of money? Nay. It is what it is because we are who we are. We have become a people accustomed to seeing nothing work.

It’d be great to see someone in authority do something about the mess that is the MMIA for starters. It’s a shame to Nigeria. But does Nigeria even understand what shame is? Does anyone really give a damn about the shame?

-Mr. Omojuwa @gmail.com; twitter: @omojuwa
Source: www.punchng.com/opinion/the-shame-called-murtala-muhammed-international-airport/

83 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by DisGuy: 1:17am On Nov 13, 2013
Why is Nigeria the only country where, to travel, you must have your box opened and ransacked by security men? What is the essence of running these same bags through electronic security? Why in the world can’t we get even the simplest of things right?

##gbam!

15 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by BabaEleko(m): 2:53am On Nov 13, 2013
Jonathan and his hand picked bunch of ministers and special advisers are nothing but a selection of advance fee fraud stars whose destiny is nothing but to drive this country as backward as possible through a well schemed program called "Fresh Air" a.k.a Transformation agenda.

Most of these mofo coming on here to sing praise of these bunch or criminals are either doing what they've been paid to do, or there are totally cut off from the reality of the Nigeria state, or they are just a circus of clowns who have never seen anything developed in their miserable lives of maybe they are just not psychiatrically stable.

Don't expect it to be given to u. You deserve the right to good roads, light, health care system, education etc. The right to freedom of press, association and every basic human right that have been snatched away from you. Nigerians stand up for your right!!!!!!!! Right now!!!!!!!!

And at topic; Nanjing Train station in China makes MMA look like a local bus station not to talk of Beijing or Shanghai Hongqiao train station. If you doubt me, ask anyone u know in China.

Baba Eleko typing from Orange, California. Peace!

31 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by bigtt76(f): 3:39am On Nov 13, 2013
Hmmm ...writer get time shaaaaa! Anyway ...grabbed my seat grin let the fun begin

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by bloggernaija: 3:52am On Nov 13, 2013
There has been a deliberate attempt to run down Lagos ,and in extension,the entire SW.
If it were possible to cart away the Atlantic Ocean to Abuja ,they would have done so already.
THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AND ALL THE OTHER STATES APART FROM THE (NIGER DELTA )KEEP TAKING AND NOT GIVING ANYTHING BACK.
They have tried all they could to cart away the corporate sector ,including banking ,telecommunications etc.
But guess what,the people who make things happen and make it rain(the Yorubas ,foriegn investors )are not interested.
If they decide to move a fraction of their investment to iwo today,it automatically becomes the "It" place.
In fact, Ibadan stands a better chance of rivalling Lagos than any other place and that shows in the number of foreigners who already live and work there.

35 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by mumumugu(m): 4:39am On Nov 13, 2013
When it was good, no praise
now its bad, all complaint

5 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by wesley80(m): 5:03am On Nov 13, 2013
Lekki airport to the rescue.

5 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 5:14am On Nov 13, 2013
wesley80: Lekki airport to the rescue.
It will be the most beautiful in West Africa.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 5:21am On Nov 13, 2013
Its so shameful that despite being refer to as the giant of Africa,we are a laughing stock.. Our leaders are very wicked to allow us generate to this level.

If our leaders can allow the Badagry express road to become a death trap,an international road,then anything can happen in Nigeria.

In summary,our leader are shameless,and visionless.

9 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 5:37am On Nov 13, 2013
bloggernaija: There has been a deliberate attempt to run down Lagos ,and in extension,the entire SW.
If it were possible to cart away the Atlantic Ocean to Abuja ,they would have done so already.
THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AND ALL THE OTHER STATES APART FROM THE (NIGER DELTA )KEEP TAKING AND NOT GIVING ANYTHING BACK.
They have tried all they could to cart away the corporate sector ,including banking ,telecommunications etc.
But guess what,the people who make things happen and make it rain(the Yorubas ,foriegn investors )are not interested.
If they decide to move a fraction of their investment to iwo today,it automatically becomes the "It" place.
In fact, Ibadan stands a better chance of rivalling Lagos than any other place and that shows in the number of foreigners who already live and work there.

Bros what percentage of the national income does the sw even contribute? If to say na una get oyel pesin for no hear word again!!

Don't even try to mention that word 'ibadan' again as that place is a glorified village!! Too much foreigners indeed I wonder where we would place port-harcourt

52 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by UyiIredia(m): 5:48am On Nov 13, 2013
Not to worry. Team fresh air is coming to your rescue. I think.

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by freecitizn: 6:23am On Nov 13, 2013
MMIA has a lot to improve on, but you aint seen Port Harcourt's Intl Airport. Certainly the worst I've seen ever!

9 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by edababa007(m): 6:42am On Nov 13, 2013
@op nice write up from omojuwa. I hope d gvt can jst get d place fixed. After almost 13hrs flight in january, I visited d airport restroom to wash my face, what I met is just unprintable. Gvt pls act now, bt pls don't set up any crazy committee.

6 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by geeez: 7:07am On Nov 13, 2013

The airport is a shame

When you travel, most times you have to wait for your luggage for hours

In other airports I've been outside this country, by the time you've gone through border checks, your luggage will be waiting for you

The conveyors don't work

The staff aren't courteous and always asking for money

You even have to pay to use their trolleys

There are better train stations in Europe and the Americas than airports in Naija

22 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by wrench: 7:10am On Nov 13, 2013
Welcome To Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 7:23am On Nov 13, 2013
bloggernaija: There has been a deliberate attempt to run down Lagos ,and in extension,the entire SW.

What is this one saying? Free yourself from all this kian thinking. Omojuwa is talking about the rot in the system in general and you are here talking something else

36 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by bloggernaija: 7:34am On Nov 13, 2013
geeez:
The airport is a shame

When you travel, most times you have to wait for your luggage for hours

In other airports I've been outside this country, by the time you've gone through border checks, your luggage will be waiting for you

The conveyors don't work

The staff aren't courteous and always asking for money

You even have to pay to use their trolleys

There are better train stations in Europe and the Americas than airports in Naija

My local bus station looks better.
The human architecture at those airports are equally repulsive.probably the worst aspect of all.
Elsewhere,you will see mostly the young and energetic but in Nigeria,
You will see those pot bellied officers wearing unbuttoned and ugly looking tunics.
These officers are very rude , lack that front of office communication skills required for a client facing role .
You begin to wonder how many of them got the jobs in the first instance.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by SLIDEwaxie(m): 7:45am On Nov 13, 2013
wesley80: Lekki airport to the rescue.
can't wait!

i'm currently supervising a construction work at the SAHCOH warehouse at the cargo terminal and i tell u, i can't just be posting pix for the sorry state...

The feds are failure..big time!

2 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by DankemzI(m): 7:46am On Nov 13, 2013

"Last year alone, we expended N935 billion on security. It is enough to dualise all Nigeria highways & maintain, renovate, refurbish our airports, it is enough to create job,"

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by ballabriggs: 7:53am On Nov 13, 2013
There is a need for a change programme. The cosmetic contract awards for remodeling, do little to change the business.The tiles of MMIA were changed a few years ago, today it is a complete mess. It is about leadership and driving continuous improvement.

Like he rightly put, it is not all about money but about strategy. For example the guy at the airport does not see his customers, he sees them as 'passengers'. How then do you expect him to provide value for money services to meet the needs of stakeholders.

You also ask if there is a performance management system for these airports and workers. How do we assess quality of service at these airports and link it to KPIs? How do we handle complaints and ensure effective resolution.

How do we drive learning within these organisations thereby making them a learning organisation?

These are the issues and not money. Strategy is more pivotal.

3 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by 740megawatts: 8:06am On Nov 13, 2013
That's the sickest airport I've ever seen so far while travelling around Africa. I've visited at least 6 airports in Zambia, South Africa and Mauritius, all around Africa. MMIA ranks the lowest of them all. Even the train stations in South Africa are better in architecture and maintenance than MMIA. Someone should please post the pics from the MMIA parkade, it's so disgusting with money brokers everywhere. Not to talk about the highway leading to the airport, which is embarassing for the so-called giant of Africa.

Really, I think our mentality and attitude as Nigerians needs to be wiped clean like an EEPROM, and then, reprogrammed. Remodelling is not what we need, but serious shake-down of the aviation sector.

9 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by la1(m): 8:16am On Nov 13, 2013
i am currently on vacation with my family,we had the misfortune of using the MMIA on monday 11th when we departed, since its been at least two years since i last traveled i had expected that with all the talk of Renovations, upgrades and what not there would be improvements, so i went with an open mind hoping to asses for my self the true situation on ground,.i was disappointed to the point of exclaiming out loud, "what the hell!" not only is the infrastructure including all completed an on going renovations abysmal and shoddy, but the attitude of the staff and attendants is atrocious! they can BEG FOR AFRICA! right from the entrance to customs,immigration, baggage handlers they are all beggars... no shame what so ever, landing at the destination airport the difference was clear as day and night and for the first time in a long time i felt real and true shame as a Nigerian,...something has to be done,we all have a part to play

27 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Pangea: 8:20am On Nov 13, 2013
What do you mean, op?
Our daughter, Stella has transformed the airport naa lipsrsealed
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 8:23am On Nov 13, 2013
bloggernaija:
Elsewhere,you will see mostly the young and energetic but in Nigeria,
You will see those pot bellied officers wearing unbuttoned and ugly looking tunics.
These officers are very rude , lack that front of office communication skills required for a client facing role .
You begin to wonder how many of them got the jobs in the first instance.
They obviously got their jobs via "man-know-man", quota system, and federal character.

2 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by lastmanstandn(m): 8:28am On Nov 13, 2013
Very true. Flew out some weeks ago and spent over an hour 30 min on the queue while I sweated profusely.

Our boarding gates are messed. You'd have to be careful not to fall as the roof leaks whenever there's rain.

Very hot. Manually organised airport.

1 Like

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 8:32am On Nov 13, 2013
lastmanstandn: Very true. Flew out some weeks ago and spent over an hour 30 min on the queue while I sweated profusely.

Our boarding gates are messed. You'd have to be careful not to fall as the roof leaks whenever there's rain.

Very hot. Manually organised airport.
Chei! Naija don suffer. On the airport's Facebook page, a different image of the airport is being displayed.

2 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by 740megawatts: 8:36am On Nov 13, 2013
By the way, what exactly went wrong with the central cooling system of the MMIA? It used to function optimally well until the late 90's or early 2000's. Instead, I see split air-conditioning systems being mounted everywhere. This is so sickening, how can you use clusters of split air-conditioners to cool a large structure like the MMIA? Whichever engineering firm(s) gave them this advice and carried out the unethical contracts for split systems must be re.tarded. From my engineering knowledge, I know that split systems are almost useless in such structures because of the large differential height from the floor level to the roof level. You cannot easily cool such structures from the ground level, rather it should instead be cooled from the roof level via conventional cooling systems. This method quickly allows cool air from above to quickly displace the hot air below. That cooling system at MMIA must be fixed and restored ASAP!!!

21 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by signz: 8:53am On Nov 13, 2013
I like this. It will put the Aviation ministry on their toes.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by texazzpete(m): 9:04am On Nov 13, 2013
But, but I thought InSincere9igerian and his cohorts made a post recently to say the airports have been fully rejuvenated under the current Aviation minister.

Seems more like hot air than fresh air

PS: In before the likes of Elueme, Sincere9igerian and [b]Taharqa [/b]come here to call Omojuwa a known saboteur cheesy

8 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by Nobody: 9:11am On Nov 13, 2013
I'll be back to return fire to the fool, who wrote the above one-sided article, which is nothing but another heap of rubbish, coming from the usual axis of EVIL- Tinubu Punch.
Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by dridowu: 9:12am On Nov 13, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I'll be back to return fire to the fool, who wrote the above one-sided article, which is nothing but another heap of rubbish, coming from the usual axis of EVIL- Tinubu Punch.
b4 u return to comment proper, y do u have to attack tinubu or punch, ds is an opinion of omojuwa not punch or tinubu, omojuwa use punch as an avenue to share his opinion, like u too always share opinion links on saharareport.
The best u would have do is to bring out fact that will discredit omojuwa claims on MM2

23 Likes

Re: The Shame Called Murtala Muhammed International Airport by slimfit1(m): 9:13am On Nov 13, 2013
That's why my child would not come to Nigeria again, never he said. He said people were behaving like animals no offence. SHE reminded me of me too much. Like father like daughter. Even a monkey has better organisation than us.

Its like we deliberately make simple things look difficult. Can you imagine.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Visit To Bowers Tower In Ibadan / Pilot Lieutenant Ebitimi Owei Buried(pictures) / Kenya's Electric Okada (Boda Boda)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.