Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,016 members, 7,799,467 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:56 PM

Typecasting In Nollywood: Why? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Typecasting In Nollywood: Why? (1417 Views)

Mike Ezuruonye Speaks Chinese In Nollywood Movie / Should Adults Play School Children Roles In Nollywood Movies? / Five Ridiculous Questions With Obvious Answers Asked In Nollywood Movies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Typecasting In Nollywood: Why? by lunafish(f): 2:09pm On Jun 13, 2006
Do you feel that producers and directors in Nollywood typecast actors?
If so, is it due to the actors inabilty to play other characters or just because of popular demand?

For example;
I have seen Nkem Okoh play various variations of the Osuofia character, and Jim Iyke play a rapist more times than I care to recall. In Jim Iyke's film she has raped his way through some of my favourite (and the best) actresses in Nollywood e.g. Genny (Promise me forever), Kate Henshaw-Nuttal (Love, sex and marriage), Stephanie Okereke (Last Girl standing), Dakore Egbuson (Shattered Illusion).
Re: Typecasting In Nollywood: Why? by twinstaiye(m): 2:18pm On Jun 13, 2006
Once you are known and popular with a role, the tendency is that producers will always penciled you down for such roles. The truth is the viewers are not complaining, and the actors/actresses are aint complainging either.
Re: Typecasting In Nollywood: Why? by lunafish(f): 2:22pm On Jun 13, 2006
How many times do you want to see Genny and Ramsey play forbidden lovers?

I know it doesn't happen anymore however at the time it did and way too much.

I think that typecasting can stifle talent. There are people in Nollywood who aren't being stretched enough to realise their full potential.
Re: Typecasting In Nollywood: Why? by twinstaiye(m): 4:25pm On Jun 13, 2006
Nollywood is money oriented, they dont care about whether an actor or actress is stereotype for a particular role. Once a producer notices that a particular artiste is loved for a particular role, he is ready to use him/her at any slightest opportunity, particularly if such movie is going to sell.
Re: Typecasting In Nollywood: Why? by zebudaya(m): 5:12pm On Jun 13, 2006
It happens everywhere owen willson, vince vaugn, will farell always play buffons who dont know what they were doing but always get it right at the end eg wedding crashers, dodge ball. lately denzel washington has been doing cop movies: training day, inside man, out of time. Sharon stone and Angelina jolie are almost always tempstresses.
Ethan Hawke plays cops most times. There's the little girl that does horror movies all the time.
Al pacino, de niro did mafia movies for a while. Keanu reeves is always the savior eg matrix, constantine, Hardball, speed! Zebudaya is always the rich guy with a lot of chicks so you see, its not just nollywood
Re: Typecasting In Nollywood: Why? by idiotboop(f): 9:38pm On Jun 13, 2006
@Zeb

Say no more wink
Re: Typecasting In Nollywood: Why? by KD69(m): 11:25pm On Jun 13, 2006
What yall xpect from all them fly by night directors and writers in Nigeria.  Maybe Amaka Igwe, Tunde Kelani, Ego Boyo,  can be classified as producers. The rest are roadside hawkers not producers.
Re: Typecasting In Nollywood: Why? by Eastcoast(f): 11:27am On Jun 14, 2006
they do the same thing in Hollywood. certain people just happen to act certain roles very well.
Re: Typecasting In Nollywood: Why? by wilson5: 5:51pm On Jun 19, 2006
tongue hello hw re u aND THINGS I SAW ALL WHAT U WROTE AND I WILL LOVE TO BE THE PERSON U NEED OK THX HAVE A NICE DAY .

COOLGUY4COOLLOVE4REAL@YAHOO.COM
Re: Typecasting In Nollywood: Why? by joshjosh(m): 10:32am On Jan 07, 2008
fortunately these hollywood people like denzel and co only do 1 movie every 2/3 yrs unlike almost weekly/monthly nollywood
Re: Typecasting In Nollywood: Why? by Seun(m): 1:40pm On Jan 07, 2008
Typecasting is casting. That's the fact. You have to choose an actor that is believable in that role. Typecasting is a form of specialization. Some people in Hollywood are known as "character actors". For example, you might find an actor who always plays a "thug" because he looks and talks like one. Imagine how ridiculous it would seem if someone who looks like me was chosen as a thug, no matter how good he was as an actor. You wouldn't believe it!
Re: Typecasting In Nollywood: Why? by floxyrangy: 8:27pm On Jan 07, 2008
i would really love to see Gentle Jack act as a rich father grin or even in a romance movie as a lover grin grin grin
Re: Typecasting In Nollywood: Why? by Dreloaded(f): 8:36pm On Jan 07, 2008
combrazor:

i
but from my experience, most actors don't like it at all; they got into the business because they enjoyed acting--playing different parts and challenging themselves to do new things, not to be automatons stuck in an endless loop of rehash and recycle.

I agree with this. Denzel took on Training Day & Man On Fire cos he was always casted as the "good guy". That's also why he finally got the Oscar cos Hollywood finally saw him in a different role even though he should have gotten it for Malcom X no matter what.
The opposite is the case for Robert Deniro that was constantly casted as the mobster which is why he took on Meet The Parents
Jim Carrey was ALWAYS casted on the funny buffoon, til he finally took on The Mjestic and The Truman show, same with Will Farrell with Stranger Than Friction.
Most serious actors try to avoid typecasting, even if they do a certain role they look for ways to mix it up which I respect,. In Nollywood they just dont care.

Btw Love, Sex & marriage is a terrible movie. Fred Amata should retire and leave the industry alone.

(1) (Reply)

Ekoiff And The Goethe-institut Present Iara Lee's Cultures Of Resistance / Big Brother Africa ''the Chase'' New Official / Video + Picture: Man Lifts 50kg Bag Of Rice With His Teeth On Toni Payne's Show

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.