Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,779 members, 7,802,392 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:38 PM

Starting A Plantain Farming. - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Plantain Farming. (50263 Views)

Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / The Goldmine In Plantain Farming – Regular Sources Of Income / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by rammytt(m): 6:45pm On Nov 21, 2013
boluwajokosegun: We can send hybrid double bounch producing suckers to any part of the country.
I can't upload pictures

interesting!did u say any part of d country?.i'm based in edo state.who wil handle d cost of delivery?.my frnd dat is into dis business said it's 830 suckers to an acre.if dat is true,we wil need suckers for 7acres of land ( dat's roughly 6,500 suckers).
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by ngezeck(m): 6:58pm On Nov 21, 2013
@ boluwa i will need lyk 800 to 1000 suckers.i base in ananbra
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by ngezeck(m): 7:07pm On Nov 21, 2013
pls profesinal,hw many sucker can i plant in one plot of land
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by yemmit90: 7:17pm On Nov 21, 2013
@boluwajoko,good to know you're a plantain farmer. Isn't 5ft space between inadequate to maintain healthy plants and to achieve good results?

I usually spaced mine at least 8ft anyway.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by ngezeck(m): 8:01pm On Nov 21, 2013
pls were in anambra can i locate their river basin development author,,,,,,,, pls help
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by henrimoto(m): 8:48pm On Nov 21, 2013
@boluwajoko and yemmy90.... how do you advice one to treat the fungus disease issue that is associated with plantain suckers.? expecially when one is planting on a large scale..
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by yemmit90: 11:41pm On Nov 21, 2013
henrimoto: @boluwajoko and yemmy90.... how do you advice one to treat the fungus disease issue that is associated with plantain suckers.? expecially when one is planting on a large scale..

The possibility of experiencing such is almost zero(0.01%) if you can get Fertile land, healthy suckers and not allow weeds to overtake the plants! Infact I fear wind more than anything in this business cos it can destroy the whole farm that's why it's important for the beginners to start wind control even before he/she planted anything.

For those who're going into large scale, I will advise you to do it batch by batch especially if you don't have irrigation system in your farm. Imaging you planted 1000suckers worth about 100k and it suddenly stop rainy. You know sometimes during rain season, rain do stop falling for days and the young plants needs at least few drops of rain to survive.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by henrimoto(m): 7:11am On Nov 22, 2013
@yemmit90... what about instances where plaintain farmers are advised to soak in hot (boiling) water the root of there suckers for some seconds before planting to the soil ? whats your opinion on this ?
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by henrimoto(m): 7:20am On Nov 22, 2013
what kind of tree would you recommend to serve as wind breakers on a plantain farm ? that kind of fashola tree (eko o ni baje tree) in lagos. * those lep'a (slim)trees they plant along most lagos roads* can they serve as wind breakers ?
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by yemmit90: 2:18pm On Nov 22, 2013
henrimoto: @yemmit90... what about instances where plaintain farmers are advised to soak in hot (boiling) water the root of there suckers for some seconds before planting to the soil ? whats your opinion on this ?

I've not practise that before and had never see anyone does it too. Maybe some people are doing it,I don't know.

Lol@Fashola tree, you could see that I mentioned 3 segments of 3 factors in one of my previous posts for prospective farmers to takes noted. The first method of wind control is to located your farm where your plants would be protected by wind, I. e. Leave the few available trees within or around your farm. But in a situation where there's none, you can always source for those trees that grow very fast e.g cassia, guava or moringa.

Update this thread next year march/april when you're about to start. Goodluck to you!
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 2:42pm On Nov 22, 2013
If the plantation is sited in thick forest where there are a lot of trees, there is nothing to worry about any windy situation.
Actually the suggestion is very good for those of us who are planing anew to start off.
But l'm still not clear about one thing. Does one need to wet plantain during dry season? I think the stem is full of water that can last till another raining season.
Another question is how many time does one need to weed the farm during the year?

Many thanks for all the useful learnings from you Stakeholders in the endeavour.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 4:22am On Nov 23, 2013
Emma Ajayi: If the plantation is sited in thick forest where there are a lot of trees, there is nothing to worry about any windy situation.
Actually the suggestion is very good for those of us who are planing anew to start off.
But l'm still not clear about one thing. Does one need to wet plantain during dry season? I think the stem is full of water that can last till another raining season.
Another question is how many time does one need to weed the farm during the year?

Many thanks for all the useful learnings from you Stakeholders in the endeavour.
. What' up?
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 8:26am On Nov 24, 2013
If l buy d suckers now, how do l keep them intact till planting season?
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 12:33pm On Nov 24, 2013
Why can't we have people who have link with IITA & or River Basins across Nigeria on this forum to put more light?

1 Like

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Cnoteuchay: 9:31pm On Nov 24, 2013
yemmit90: @boluwajoko,good to know you're a plantain farmer. Isn't 5ft space between inadequate to maintain healthy plants and to achieve good results?

I usually spaced mine at least 8ft anyway.
8ft apart is ideal in order to have space for d leaves to fourish fine
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 8:43am On Nov 27, 2013
How much can one get suckers to buy at cheaper rates? Will need 500 suckers for a start.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 3:53pm On Dec 02, 2013
Need 500 suckers to buy. Who has stock of suckers in the house?
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 2:39pm On Jan 07, 2014
Emma Ajayi: Need 500 suckers to buy. Who has stock of suckers in the house?

REMINDER
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by olushollys(m): 4:44pm On Jan 08, 2014
Emma Ajayi:
REMINDER
Emma Ajayi: Why can't we have people who have link with IITA & or River Basins across Nigeria on this forum to put more light?
Emma Ajayi: Need 500 suckers to buy. Who has stock of suckers in the house?
Emma Ajayi: Why can't we have people who have link with IITA & or River Basins across Nigeria on this forum to put more light?

I can connect u with someone in charge of plantain @ iita ibadan if u wish u can send me a mail or ur phone no. Thanks
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 5:21pm On Jan 08, 2014
Many thanks. My e-mail is aj200301@yahoo.com while my mobile is 08034933115
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Moyanbe(m): 4:56pm On Jul 22, 2014
If you need suckers at affordable price and how to setup a plantain farm from choosing choice if land to use to harvesting
I supply plantain sucker in any quantity
kindly contact me through my line ...08139120967
thanks
Oke olayiwola taiwo
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by jta2012(m): 5:39pm On Jul 22, 2014
Tanx our new plantain farmer in waiting,i welcome u 2 d biz of plantain farming which according
to my BASIC REPORT ON PLANTAIN FARMING FOR BEGINNERS published in 2013 and xtl selling
,plantain investment in Ogun State and other part of the country can return to u 100% of your
invested capital in the first year! and from the second year U ARE FREE to be making MONEY
from FREE AIR ,RAIN,LAND and your MANAGEMENT ACUMEN.............................................
Kindly order for a copy of the e-report to enable u join the club of
MILLIONAIRES in LESS THAN 2 YEARS..............................................................................
CALL 08184932156 OR EMAIL jtaconsult2012co@yahoo.com for the payment procedures.

jtaconsulting,Lagos,Nigeria.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 5:38am On Jul 28, 2014
@jta2012, pls send more details to my inbox- aj200301@yahoo.com
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by olushollys(m): 12:23pm On Jul 28, 2014
EmmaAjayi: @jta2012, pls send more details to my inbox- aj200301@yahoo.com

hi, i hope u have started your farm we will appreciate ur update cheers!

1 Like

Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by jta2012(m): 1:39pm On Jul 28, 2014
Thanks ,to be successful as a start-up biz person ,u need information from the experts or consultants
on Plantain.I wl advise U to first get ur infos from reliable sources or docs .
This is what we did at jtaconsulting with our BASIC REPORT ON PLANTAIN FARMING FOR BEGINNERS
which has been on sale since 2013 and xtl selling.
It start with introduction to plantain as the 4th largest crop in the world and ended with a twin analysis of the
financial implications of the investment for ( 1 ) plot and ( 1 ) acre .
If interested in this report ,pls call 08184932156 or email jtaconsult2012co@yahoo.com

jtaconsulting,Lagos,Nigeria.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 2:08pm On Jul 28, 2014
How much does the material cost?
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Nobody: 9:59am On Aug 04, 2014
It is suggested that you plant in the rainy season.What if you have access to very reliable borehole and pumps.Can you plant in the dry season
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by EmmaAjayi(m): 11:24pm On Aug 25, 2014
Plantain farm needs water throughout the year hence there will be a need to dig well or borehole. Water cannot go round even if sited near a river unless you make it available.
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Pavore9: 11:37pm On Aug 25, 2014
ngezeck: pls were in anambra can i locate their river basin development author,,,,,,,, pls help
At Omor (Anyamelum L.G.A)
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Moyanbe(m): 7:59am On Sep 15, 2014
if you are interested in starting a plantain farm and you want to visit our plantain farm to be sure that we are plantain farmer and not online farmer.
you can contact us on this no...08139120967,moyanbe@gmail.com
suckers at affordable price is also available
Re: Starting A Plantain Farming. by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:35pm On Sep 16, 2014
Nice interactive thread.Great work

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Cockerel Vs. Broiler / Agric Students At Nnamdi Azikiwe University Kill A Big Python During Farm Work / An 'ewedu' Plant That Is Almost Twice The Height Of An Average Female Being.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.