Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:05 AM

Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage - Nairaland / General (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage (30818 Views)

Video Shows Nigerian Army And Civilians Fleeing Boko Haram Attack / 5 Real Life Soldiers Who Make Rambo Look Like A Sissy / What Is/are The Citeria(s) For Putting Threads On The Front Page? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by BYSilver(m): 9:59pm On Nov 18, 2013
Onliie:

He has a case. He must convey the impression that he belongs to the armed forces to be guilty of violation of this law. If he just wear it as a fashion piece, he is not guilty. Do youknow that Nigerian Army wears dark plain green uniform too? Does that make any green cloth illegal?

Sir conveying an impression is 1aspect covered under fraudulent misrepresentation, and that has to do with when the person who wears the uniform has an intention to mislead the public fraudulently and that is where section 109 comes to play,,however section 110 covers aspects where a person wears it for fun with no intent to mislead anybody and that is where the OP falls under,that is why the penalty for defaulting section 109 carries 1year imprisonment while section 110 carries 1month imprisonment.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by shegzi(m): 10:07pm On Nov 18, 2013
Civilians are not allowed to wear camo simple
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 10:33pm On Nov 18, 2013
The rules or laws quoted above need to be updated. we are no longer in buhari/idiagbon era. Imagine a fine of 10 naira. our legislooters just sit all day in the national Assembly doing neffo.

Soldiers are even meant to be in the barracks. But you see them all everywhere in lagos in their uniforms as if we are in a war.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by arcmichael(m): 10:35pm On Nov 18, 2013
grin tongue
wordsbase: You are a "bloody civilian". On what basis did you think you could publicly put on camouflage... The law has always existed.. And it is not a violation of you human rights.

*laughs*... Bloody civilian calling another bloody civilian, a bloody civilian- typical civilians!!! grin
wordsbase: You are a "bloody civilian". On what basis did you think you could publicly put on camouflage... The law has always existed.. And it is not a violation of you human rights.

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by blakky97(m): 10:38pm On Nov 18, 2013
All these naija guys wey dey oversea, before dem drop any comment, dem must first write " in the uk where I am, whenever I come to nigeria, blah blah blah". GUY! Make I clear una: NOBODY send una nyash for here! Una hear? We no wan know! If you like go pluto. Your shit still dey smell. Nobody gives a flying f**k! Not even a rat ass worth of damn!
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by lazyboy94(m): 11:09pm On Nov 18, 2013
austinoeze: u ma sef... y u no wear police uniform?
dat kind thing but we njarians funny o
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by lazyboy94(m): 11:15pm On Nov 18, 2013
If 4 say I dey xposed and not beyind or I no be illiterate - 4 comment but thank God say u no sit down 4 gutter like Timaya
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by blink(f): 11:17pm On Nov 18, 2013
You should thank your star he don't arest you for impersonation. Do you know that presently the some of the crises state in nigeria, like that of jos they acuse themselfs of invading one another in army uniform which does not give our military man good image cause they are wrongfully acused. You are now claiming human rice, just try it again and come back to tell us your story ...... were.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Martinboy41(m): 11:17pm On Nov 18, 2013
please dont wear army shirt in nigeria is agains there law
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by lastpage: 11:47pm On Nov 18, 2013
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by lastpage: 12:21am On Nov 19, 2013
agohmamuda: A civilian putting on a camouflage is called " abuse of uniform". The law has been in existence for so long and as at last month the chief of Army staff warned against civilians, be it celebrities or who ever no to wear camouflage. Not to be worn for parties, performances, leisure or what so ever reason. There has to be discipline and a clear differentiation between civilians and military. God bless me and the Nigerian Army.

I guess Nigeria is just sinking to a "new low", everyday!

Why is it that most posters using the word "Army", along with the word "Camouflage" (as in "Army Camouflage"wink?
To me, it seems there is a general assumption that the "Camouflage" (anything that is used for "deception" or 'stealth' ), BELONGS TO THE ARMY!

It is only in Nigeria that the ARMY is DEFINED by "DESIGN OF A CLOTH" (which is what 'Camouflage cloth' is).

Not wearing a Camouflage does not make you less of an Army, .........so wearing it ONLY, should not make you one or more of one.
When "humans" lack substance, they begin to dwell on the inane"!

I guess our Military have nothing else to "show-off" anymore, except "Camouflage Cloth"!
You should recognize a "bloody Civilian" when you see one, even if he is dressed from head to toe in Military attire same as you should recognize a "Proper Military Machine", when you see one, even if he is just wearing a White T-Shirt and Black Sports pants!
Its all about the "training, Discipline and mentality"

But if our own Nigerian Army has become so debased that that all they have left to 'PROTECT AND PORTRAY' is Camouflage Cloth", then something is wrong with them.
IGNORANCE, ABUSE OF POWER, OPPRESSION, INFERIORITY COMPLEX AND LOW SELF-ESTEEM IS WHAT IS WORRYING ANY SOLDIER THAT GOES ABOUT HARASSING ANYONE WEARING A CAMOUFLAGE CLOTH.

Ask yourself: Why is it that the "real professional and war-fighting Armies" of the U.S.A and Europe/U.K dont harass their citizens and the general public for wearing Camouflage Cloth?
Because they do not suffer from that inferiority complex that our own Nigerian Army (and generally despotic African Armies) suffer from.

...And to think that their "public love and worship" them like a God?

I wear it, my kids have it as shoes, under-pants, T-shirts, e.t.c, my wife wears it and we move around in it without trying to "look like or imitate' any military personnel.

l am waiting for the day when one "Overzealous Soldier" would try me.......
Jobless Morons.
Soldiers all over the world are the "bed-rock of development and research" in their respective countries, the only thing ours are noted for is "lazy talk, pepper soup and beer ... and harassment of sheepish and docile civilians"!

Tell me one single invention pioneered by Nigerian Military? Tell me one Single Project they have undertaken from start to finish, ...even if it is a "small bridge"?
It is only peeps with "insecurity issues" that project aggression and turn to BULLIES on "weaker people"!
That is how those Army boys come across, to me.

By the way, the section of the constitution that was "quoted" refers to 'Military Uniform" and never said "Camouflage Cloth".

So, how do you "interpret" a camouflage Cloth to mean military Uniform?

Lastpage!

7 Likes

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Tomieynoni: 12:42am On Nov 19, 2013
Guy..u lucky sey u no chop slap o!
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 12:56am On Nov 19, 2013
What is this ideot saying

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 2:24am On Nov 19, 2013
lastpage:

Why is it that most posters using the word "Army", along with the word "Camouflage" (as in "Army Camouflage"wink?
To me, it seems there is a general assumption that the "Camouflage" (anything that is used for "deception" or 'stealth' ), BELONGS TO THE ARMY!

It is only in Nigeria that the ARMY is DEFINED by "DESIGN OF A CLOTH" (which is what 'Camouflage cloth' is).

Not wearing a Camouflage does not make you less of an Army, .........so wearing it ONLY, should not make you one or more of one.

I guess our Military have nothing else to "show-off" anymore, except "Camouflage Cloth"!
You should recognize a "bloody Civilian" when you see one, even if he is dressed from head to toe in Military attire same as you should recognize a "Proper Military Machine", when you see one, even if he is just wearing a White T-Shirt and Black Sports pants!
Its all about the "training, Discipline and mentality"[/

But if our own Nigerian Army has become so debased that that all they have left to 'PROTECT AND PORTRAY' is Camouflage Cloth", then something is wrong with them.
IGNORANCE, ABUSE OF POWER, OPPRESSION, INFERIORITY COMPLEX AND LOW SELF-ESTEEM IS WHAT IS WORRYING ANY SOLDIER THAT GOES ABOUT HARASSING ANYONE WEARING A CAMOUFLAGE CLOTH.

[b]Ask yourself: Why is it that the "real professional and war-fighting Armies" of the U.S.A and Europe/U.K dont harass their citizens and the general public for wearing Camouflage Cloth?
Because they do not suffer from that inferiority complex that our own Nigerian Army (and generally despotic African Armies) suffer from.

I wear it, my kids have it as shoes, under-pants, T-shirts, e.t.c, my wife wears it and we move around in it without trying to "look like or imitate' any military personnel.

Jobless Morons.
Soldiers all over the world are the "bed-rock of development and research" in their respective countries, the only thing ours are noted for is "lazy talk, pepper soup and beer ... and harassment of sheepish and docile civilians"!

Tell me one single invention pioneered by Nigerian Military? Tell me one Single Project they have undertaken from start to finish, ...even if it is a "small bridge"?
It is only peeps with "insecurity issues" that project aggression and turn to BULLIES on "weaker people"!

By the way, the section of the constitution that was "quoted" refers to 'Military Uniform" and never said "Camouflage Cloth".

Lastpage!
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 2:25am On Nov 19, 2013
lastpage:

Ask yourself: Why is it that the "real professional and war-fighting Armies" of the U.S.A and Europe/U.K dont harass their citizens and the general public for wearing Camouflage Cloth?

Jobless Morons.

Lastpage!
Thank you sir, for these well written piece. I wish i could meet you and buy you a drink, you be correct guy. Whe saw how they chickened out when France threaten to destroy Nigeria over Bakassi, these guys would be decimated in a week if they get in a shooting war with a real Army, not the child soldier rebels of Liberia and Sierra Leone.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by shevon: 2:36am On Nov 19, 2013
You wouldn't expect any less from them (especially the illitrate recruits)
I recently returned from Europe where I bought and wore camo shirts and dog tag (obviously not military issue) without anybody asking questions or harassing me. Just this last friday, I went to the bank to carry out a transaction and I noticed most of the customers there were young military officers (small children fah!); immediately I left, 5 of them trailed me outside, stopped me and demanded that I identify myself. Because I didn't know who they were, I asked them to do so first and none of them could; I then asked if there was any issue but they didn't (rather couldn't) respond. Next thing I know, a 6th person just came out of the bank and shouted "Comot am joor!", one of them just cut my dog tag and they all walked away. Meanwhile, it wasn't as if I was wearing any military apparel (I was wearing a white shirt on a blue jean with my work safty boots o) or was I claiming to be a military officer in any way, the reason they did it, I don't know.
Anyway, instead of causing a scene, I just walked away, called the branch manager of the bank who stopped all transactions to them and insisted they release the tag to him or else he will not attend to them again until they gave him the tag.
Imagine that kind of harassment from mofos, who couldn't express themselves properly, just because they were given khaki and are being paid from tax payers money - part of which I contributed to o - in my own country.

2 Likes

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by soulglo: 3:12am On Nov 19, 2013
Freiburger:
I think the law has been there for long.

What law? I am pretty sure it is not a law but if you say it is can you point me to it
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by soulglo: 3:19am On Nov 19, 2013
Fadelex: there was a thread like this last year and a guy was claiming human right. the camouflage is their uniform, plz steer clear of it. so many people are using camouflage to harass fellow civilians while some are using it to perpetrate evil.
you'll be severely dealt with if they catch u wit it. no law permits u to put on military uniform. it is called impersonation. trying to be who you aren't

if you have criminal code acts, it's clearly stipulated in chapter 110 and it's punishable by law. section 111 even bar sellers from selling uniform to unauthorized person

CHAPTER 12
Corruption and abuse of office

98. Official corruption: public official inviting bribes, etc., on account of own
actions.
98A. Official corruption: person giving bribes, etc., on account of actions of public
official.
98B. Official corruption: person inviting bribes, etc., on account of actions of public
official.
98C. Restrictions on arrest and prosecution of judicial officers for offences under
sections 98 to 98B.
98D. Meaning of “public official” in sections 98 to 98B.
99. Extortion by public officers.
100. (Deleted by 1966 No. 84).
101. Public officers interested in contracts.
102. Officers charged with administration of property of a special character or with
special duties.
103. False claims by officials.
104. Abuse of office.
105. False certificates by public officers.
106. Administering extra-judicial oaths.
107. False assumption of authority.
108. Impersonating public officers.
109. Impersonating members of Armed Forces or Police.
110. Unlawfully wearing of the uniform of the Armed Forces.
111. Selling, etc., uniform, etc., to unauthorised persons.

Is that what you're referring to? Is this the law you people are using to approve a soldier sexually assaulting a civilian on the streets. Unless there is more than this to support what this soldier did I truly feel sorry for Nigerians
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by soulglo: 3:24am On Nov 19, 2013

[img]http://beegeagle.files./2012/10/dsc_0266.jpg[/img]
Nigerian Navy

The very idea that this woman could be made to strip naked walking down the road in Nigeria because soldiers and even the general Nigerian population think she is impersonating an army officer is worth shaking your damn head. It is the height of foolishness. Even a fool can see.

3 Likes

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 3:39am On Nov 19, 2013
Well that is not against any law,its just a nigerian tingy,every1 want to opress the other.it all depends on the way you talk to them when being called,they tend to relax when you use military terms.have got an american camou and i bought it on the streets in US,are you telling me naija soldiers r beta dan their US counterparts?all they need is orientation.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by dikenna: 7:27am On Nov 19, 2013
wheesin: It is a clear violation of my rights.. I have d rights to put on any cloth i buy... So fvck off
guy u get luck say dem no panelbeat u wella. Those guys went through a lot to earn d right to wear camo and u just want to wear it just like dat for fashion? I think it is u who is violating their own rights. Food for thot.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 8:03am On Nov 19, 2013
And you speak so well?
Smh
Rick9:
* Walk in see this, shocks * * Clears Troath and Scream and Pass out then Wake up * Bros Oh Weti i do u. Ahahahahahaah see who dey call Army men Illiterate choi. After all na dem go be first to say Patience Jonathan no sabi speak English. Na wah oh ,

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 9:44am On Nov 19, 2013
lastpage:

Jobless Morons.

Lastpage!
No wahala na, u go wear ur own pass Army Barracks.... But no come here come begin blame GEJ or PDP for the aftermath sha
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by GetUmad: 10:12am On Nov 19, 2013
Who are these people chanting " do you know what they passed through". Arghh! Pls save it! What did they pass through that has made them an immortal? So because they were subjected to rigorous training before they could become who they're, has automatically given them the outright license to harass civilians. If that's the case then I think US should be the first to enforce it on her citizens. Have you seen documentary on US Military training? Not to talk of that of SEALS'. All those naija army wey dey do gragra nor go survive one day in their camp.

Every career, every profession has what it takes. Same thing can be said of the academia. Do you know what it takes to be a PhD holder? Yet you see politicians, biz moguls and celebrities honored with same. Dr. Atorise, Dr. Ifeanyi Ubah, Dr. Dangote. Don't you think those genuine Drs who spent 6yrs with a lot of intellectual perturbation from one research to the other just for their thesis to be approved should also be crazy and animalistic enough to strip anyone who didn't pass through any stress but honored of their title. That is If we want to look at it from the angle of "what they passed through". I know many people would want to argue that physical training can't be compared with that of intellectual. But have we forgot so soon that some of these Academic run mad during the course of their researches. Some get traumatized emotionally too.

In short NO PROFESSION is easy. Nothing GOOD comes EASY

The truth is both the person honored with a degree and the civilian who wears a camo can never possess the same cognitive,intellectual ability and tactics like those ones who worked to earn it. Academia and Armies alike. So what you possess is what should distinguish you! However, You're undoubtedly not in the same level with that person that envies and imitate you, hence no reason harassing them to prove your ingenuity.

Save for security reason esp in this part of the world, I can agree it should be discouraged. But you and I both know those military guys only do it to oppress cos they see themselves like gods.

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 10:40am On Nov 19, 2013
wheesin: I was just passing by this afternoon... Unfortunately i was putting on a camouflage... Suddenly i was approached by a soldier holding a golf club... He pointed it at me and was shouting at me... I really didn't understand what he meant.. He chased me with the golf club and told me to pull off the shorts... I was really embarrassed because it was in a very condensed area.... I was putting on boxers underneath. I had to pull it off and i was queried on why i wore it.. Then i was told to go home with my boxers on... I found this very disgraceful..

Now i want to know why these is happening because this is very inhuman and a clear human rights violation

If you listen to the news you will hear that the army have repeatedly warn people against using camo.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Osgee(m): 11:07am On Nov 19, 2013
wheesin: I was just passing by this afternoon... Unfortunately i was putting on a camouflage... Suddenly i was approached by a soldier holding a golf club... He pointed it at me and was shouting at me... I really didn't understand what he meant.. He chased me with the golf club and told me to pull off the shorts... I was really embarrassed because it was in a very condensed area.... I was putting on boxers underneath. I had to pull it off and i was queried on why i wore it.. Then i was told to go home with my boxers on... I found this very disgraceful..

Now i want to know why these is happening because this is very inhuman and a clear human rights violation

it is nt allowed in naija bcoz of d current security situation. Or wat will u do wen u r runnin 4 ur lyf, u saw a soja n dcided 2 run to run to him bt he points his gun @ u n say 'ur moni or ur lyf?'
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by Nobody: 11:15am On Nov 19, 2013
arcmichael: grin tongue

*laughs*... Bloody civilian calling another bloody civilian, a bloody civilian- typical civilians!!! grin

Yes. We all are "bloody civilians", like it or not. And you are most "bloody" of all. undecided
arcmichael: grin tongue

Yes. We all are "bloody civilians", like it or not. And you are most "bloody" of all.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by charles424(m): 1:01pm On Nov 19, 2013
wordsbase:

I'm pretty sure the force men whom you call illiterate would know that your use of "there" should actually be "their".

Your understanding of the concept of human rights is very limited, and I don't intend to school you on that on this platform. If you please, keep wearing the uniform, the full regalia, maybe you could even try the officer ceremonial, I'm sure it'll look good on you. And when a force man confronts you, tell him it's your human right to dress like a military man, because it is your right to be indentified with that uniform in whatever place and whatever time you choose.

There is nothing wrong in putting on camo,its only that we Nigerians always abuse any privilege giving to us...am sure some people will use it to do armed robbery and so on.In Nigeria wear it in your sitting room,unless you are a musician or a soldier. and their action is purely for security reason. I have one short too but wear it when am on my power bike,and I have never being harassed.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by charles424(m): 1:03pm On Nov 19, 2013
wordsbase:

I'm pretty sure the force men whom you call illiterate would know that your use of "there" should actually be "their".

Your understanding of the concept of human rights is very limited, and I don't intend to school you on that on this platform. If you please, keep wearing the uniform, the full regalia, maybe you could even try the officer ceremonial, I'm sure it'll look good on you. And when a force man confronts you, tell him it's your human right to dress like a military man, because it is your right to be indentified with that uniform in whatever place and whatever time you choose.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by MrAboki: 2:15pm On Nov 19, 2013
shevon: You wouldn't expect any less from them (especially the illitrate recruits)
I recently returned from Europe where I bought and wore camo shirts and dog tag (obviously not military issue) without anybody asking questions or harassing me. Just this last friday, I went to the bank to carry out a transaction and I noticed most of the customers there were young military officers (small children fah!); immediately I left, 5 of them trailed me outside, stopped me and demanded that I identify myself. Because I didn't know who they were, I asked them to do so first and none of them could; I then asked if there was any issue but they didn't (rather couldn't) respond. Next thing I know, a 6th person just came out of the bank and shouted "Comot am joor!", one of them just cut my dog tag and they all walked away. Meanwhile, it wasn't as if I was wearing any military apparel (I was wearing a white shirt on a blue jean with my work safty boots o) or was I claiming to be a military officer in any way, the reason they did it, I don't know.
Anyway, instead of causing a scene, I just walked away, called the branch manager of the bank who stopped all transactions to them and insisted they release the tag to him or else he will not attend to them again until they gave him the tag.
Imagine that kind of harassment from mofos, who couldn't express themselves properly, just because they were given khaki and are being paid from tax payers money - part of which I contributed to o - in my own country.

Nigerian Military dogtags are so ugly that you wouldnt want to wear them..

Imagine them cutting off your dog tag.. I have two custom dog tags.. They carry my name, blood type, genotype and emergency telephone number on it.

When a western Military sees a civilian, he thinks of protecting them
When a Nigerian Military sees a civilian, he thinks of how to molest him.
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by senatorn3c(m): 3:23pm On Nov 19, 2013
[quote author=wheesin]It is a clear violation of my rights.. Well...u get luck say dem no beat hell comot for ur bodi
Re: Soldiers Harass Civilians For Putting On Camouflage by senatorn3c(m): 3:24pm On Nov 19, 2013
Well...u get luck say dem no beat hell comot for ur bodi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

4 Things You Should Never Tolerate. / Okada Man Backing A Baby In Ibadan / I Have Been Bitten By Scorpion, Involved In Multiple Accidents - Lady Lawyer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.