Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,841 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:33 AM

Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing (25670 Views)

Shocking Photos Of OAU Exam Hall / OAU-Ife Students Fetch Water From Stream (Pictures) / Man Beaten For Molesting OAU-Ife Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by bolaji73(m): 8:57am On Nov 15, 2013

The family, friends and colleagues of a professor of Nuclear Physics, James Olomo, are anxious over the whereabouts of the academic.

Our correspondent gathered that Olomo, a lecturer at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State, left his work place for Eket, Akwa Ibom State, for a private business in the middle of October. He had not been seen since then.

It was learnt that the professor had told some friends and relations on the telephone from Eket, on Saturday, October 19, of his departure to Lagos. He had yet to be seen in the state.

One of his friends, who spoke with PUNCH Metro on the condition of anonymity, said, “It was on his return journey to Lagos the next day through Calabar, Cross River State, that something went amiss. I am very sure about that”

It was learnt that when nothing was heard from the professor after a few days, one of his relatives in Lagos became worried and called OAU to be sure if Olomo changed his mind and had gone to Ile-Ife instead of coming to Lagos.

The initial enquiry soon turned to panic as nobody was able to contact him.

It was learnt that although the family had reported the matter to the police, nothing had turned up to suggest where the man was.

The family, however, expressed optimism that the professor would be found alive.

A statement by the family secretary, Sule Salami, read in part, “We appreciate efforts made so far by all the arms of security, colleagues, friends and his employers to solve the riddle of his disappearance, but we are sad that Olomo, whom we believe is alive, is still held incommunicado by some persons.”

The OAU management, however, said it was not treating Olomo’s disappearance as kidnapping, but rather, as a case of missing person.

A statement by the OAU Public Relations Officer, Biodun Olarewaju, said there was no enough evidence to conclude that he was kidnapped.

Olarewaju said, “One of our senior lecturers is missing. We have put the security agencies on the alert. We seek the intervention of public to provide information about his whereabouts to the nearest police station or the university management.

“All efforts to trace him have proved abortive. We don’t know if he has been kidnapped; but if he is, we expected that the abductors should have contacted either the school authority or his family for a ransom, but that has not been done.”

Head of Physics Department, OAU, Joshua Ojo, described his disappearance as shocking.

“We are indeed at a loss. Olomo has been instrumental to the development of this department and a very amiable person. We pray that he will be found very soon”, he said.

Chairman of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, OAU branch, Adegbola Akinola, said everything was being done to unravel Olomo’s whereabouts.

He said, “Last month, we got the information that Oloma could no longer be contacted. We called his telephone numbers, but none was working. We tried to track the phones to no avail. We have contacted our colleagues in the area to let them know about the situation.”

A top official at the Osun State Police Command confirmed to our correspondent that Olomo was missing.

The source said, “He has been reported missing and that has been circulated to all other commands in Nigeria. Investigation is being handled by the Akwa Ibom Police Command, where he was last seen. It is hopeful that he will be found.”

When contacted, the acting Police Public Relations Officer for Akwa Ibom command, Mr. John Patrick, said report on the missing lecturer had been made known to the public.

He said Olomo got missing after he left his hotel in Eket, Akwa Ibom State.

“We have received report about the missing Olomo. We are investigating it. The issue has been broadcast on the radio,” he added.
http://www.punchng.com/metro/oau-profs-dissapearance-worries-colleagues-family/
Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by Nobody: 10:04am On Nov 15, 2013
Things like this will continue happening except they call off the strike!!

2 Likes

Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by boay(m): 10:11am On Nov 15, 2013
I hope the kidnappers are not gathering information from this professor of Nuclear physics to develop nuclear weapons.

6 Likes

Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by Tobbie9(m): 10:14am On Nov 15, 2013
I know this man, he lectured us a part of phy105 just last year, I hope he's found sha
Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by Tolexander: 7:07pm On Nov 20, 2013
But he was kidnapped for a month 10years ago on the ife-akure road!

5 Likes

Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by Tolexander: 7:08pm On Nov 20, 2013
Tobbie9: I know this man, he lectured us a part of phy105 just last year, I hope he's found sha
professor Olomo taught you phy105

3 Likes

Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by Tobbie9(m): 7:16pm On Nov 20, 2013
Tolexander: professor Olomo taught you phy105
the nuclear physics part of it, it's actually phy106
Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by Tolexander: 7:39pm On Nov 20, 2013
Tobbie9: the nuclear physics part of it, it's actually phy106 http://omotosophysics./ u can check d link to confirm
just as if i knew it would never be phy105.
He didn't take me when i did my phy106
Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by dedons: 8:18pm On Nov 20, 2013
Abeg o shocked shocked

who thief PROFESSOR JAMES ALOMO

Make una return am back o.

5 Likes

Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by Gorrbachev: 8:18pm On Nov 20, 2013
Prof Aro taught me. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by Daziz(m): 8:20pm On Nov 20, 2013
Laughing in greek chapapasgaagadapoaiaiaoaoaabhgaaabghabnsagabav8ghbvaghjasgfhanbavfgtyahmaahajaagbhksnabvafgtyahnabfgatyujambavdferatuiaolksmabghdartyui.,mbvfgayisola,mnbvfgtyaisonmbvftyujkdcjkdjjdfjfdjfdjdfjdfredhjfdikfkifdhjtdfrjhfdhjfdjhdfjhdfjhfdjhdfhjfdfdkjlweoipqwopjkds,mfkds,.ddkewytrndmnlksdlksaoiewufdhdfjkdskldsoeiuryy

1 Like

Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by Jamaticulus(m): 8:20pm On Nov 20, 2013
7th to comment
Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by Richiy(f): 8:20pm On Nov 20, 2013
Watch as students link it to the strike...

1 Like

Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by strangest(m): 8:22pm On Nov 20, 2013
OMG, did you say nuclear physics?! And the family has not been contacted? No body? Hmmmm... Hope its not what am thinking...

3 Likes

Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by victorazy(m): 8:22pm On Nov 20, 2013
lipsrsealed tnk God if u make it out of this alive.
Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by imperiouxx(m): 8:23pm On Nov 20, 2013
ASUU critics, Students, Government or Witches. Who are in charge of this this time? cheesy
Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by GetGuide: 8:23pm On Nov 20, 2013
since october? Thats far o. I pray he is found in good health amen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by Ghadafy(m): 8:23pm On Nov 20, 2013
Daziz: Laughing in greek chapapasgaagadapoaiaiaoaoaabhgaaabghabnsagabav8ghbvaghjasgfhanbavfgtyahmaahajaagbhksnabvafgtyahnabfgatyujambavdferatuiaolksmabghdartyui.,mbvfgayisola,mnbvfgtyaisonmbvftyujkdcjkdjjdfjfdjfdjdfjdfredhjfdikfkifdhjtdfrjhfdhjfdjhdfjhdfjhfdjhdfhjfdfdkjlweoipqwopjkds,mfkds,.ddkewytrndmnlksdlksaoiewufdhdfjkdskldsoeiuryy

You are too playful, son.
Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by AdeniyiA(m): 8:24pm On Nov 20, 2013
for a moment there, I thought the name written was 'alomo' cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by adexsimply(m): 8:24pm On Nov 20, 2013
Michael Crichton's Timeline comes to mind
Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by Nobody: 8:30pm On Nov 20, 2013
He also lectured me too phy106 last year......hope he isnt giving those guys tips on how to manufacture nukes....
Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by tyboy(m): 8:30pm On Nov 20, 2013
Things like this will continue happening except. You most be a big fool for what u just said somone missing and u are here saying rubbish , is he the one that call for the strike [b]Things like this will continue happening except. You most be a big fool for what u just said somone missing and u are here saying rubbish , is he the one that call for the strike

3 Likes

Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by saintol(m): 8:32pm On Nov 20, 2013
Hmmm! Nuclear Physics = Nuclear Weapons. Hope no be boko... adopted him. I pray he will be found.

1 Like

Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by wengerjay(m): 8:33pm On Nov 20, 2013
I hp this wil nt be another excuse by ASUU nt to hold their long awaiting national congress nt talk of calling off the strike.
No Professor Olomo,no meeting/congress!
Make students no relent in their prayers o.

2 Likes

Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by adtiezy1(m): 8:34pm On Nov 20, 2013
Check well the man might be in iraq or iran makinq nuclear weapons
Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by victorazy(m): 8:35pm On Nov 20, 2013
boay: I hope the kidnappers are not gathering information from this professor of Nuclear physics to develop nuclear weapons.

U made gud point u know?
Or he was one of the occupants of Festus Iyayi's car.
Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by saintol(m): 8:36pm On Nov 20, 2013
saintol: Hmmm! Nuclear Physics = Nuclear Weapons. Hope no be boko... abducted him. I pray he will be found.
Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by Dudecollins(m): 8:38pm On Nov 20, 2013
Hope he has nt bin kidnapped
Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by Nobody: 8:39pm On Nov 20, 2013
Tobbie9: I know this man, he lectured us a part of phy105 just last year, I hope he's found sha
I know him too. He taught my set radiation/medical physics in part 4. First a colleague from the same dept working for Chevron was kidnapped and found dead early this year, now the prof. I hope he returns in one piece, this is the 2nd time he would go missing.

He works on contract with one of the oil companies in eket on methods used in detecting stolen crude oil.
Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by adonismuller(m): 8:40pm On Nov 20, 2013
Hope he is not an ASUU member?.....if not hmmm

2 Likes

Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by chimex38: 8:40pm On Nov 20, 2013
I saw him yesterday & we were chattin grin

1 Like

Re: Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing by TRILLIONIAR: 8:41pm On Nov 20, 2013
Gawat comes to mind

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photographer Calls Out Lecturer That Took 200K To Give Him Fake Admission In OAU / Lagos Private Schools Reopen On October 26, Public Schools Remain Shut / Nzubechukwu Victor Okonkwo: Maritime Academy Distances Itself From Cultist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.