Stats: 3,147,769 members, 7,798,575 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:07 AM

Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review (17370 Views)

Olamide's Baddest Guy Ever Liveth- Come Download All Tracks Here / Album Review: Psquare Double Trouble. / New Track From Olamide- Baddest Nigga Ever Liveth (2) (3) (4)

Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by tnature: 1:01am On Nov 16, 2013
[img]http://4.bp..com/-BcXQyhTTyDc/UoagvzZzSxI/AAAAAAAABbk/N3CAGcD1ZvI/s640/Olamide-Baddest-Guy-Ever-Liveth-album-cover-600x600.jpg[/img]

Olamide dropped the much awaited album titled "Baddest Guy Ever Liveth" with 21 tracks.

The first time I saw it was going to be 21 tracks, my expectation level just dropped and I am here thinking 'no artiste can make 21 great tracks on one album.' In fact my theory is "the higher the number of tracks, the higher the number of junk"….My theory holds but that depends on what your expectation of the album was.

Olamide is a skillful rapper no doubt, if you have any doubts, this album would erase that. He raps in English Yoruba, Pidgin and even delivers "Ijebu" rhymes which I thought was down right skillful. However some of this tracks sounded like freestyles that should probably stay on a mix tape album (this is because I thought if Olamide made a 16 track album, he would have easily delivered a flawless one).

Anyways, enough with my personal rant, let's go on to review the tracks.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-ECMTXjMPT_M/Uoagz0heEJI/AAAAAAAABbs/Yn8UVHG-Kz8/s640/Olamide-tracklist-600x600.jpg[/img]

The album starts with an Intro by Dotun of Cool FM lagos (if that was needed? I dunno….. in my opinion, a waste of disk space) where he tries to give a run down of Olamide's musical path.

The next one is Esupofo…. you will see here that Olamide is a commercial version of Dagrin and he does his thing very well; he plays with the words as much as Dagrin does and he also has rich command of the Yoruba language. This track should have been the intro because he starts paying homage to other rappers at the end. (7/10).

The next track is titled "Rep Adugbo" which I think is pretty decent…and we hear Pheelz on this track, the guy did well on track especially with the way he strolled into the verse. (7/10).

"Anifowose" is a marsh up with Wasiu Ayinde's track also titled "Anifowose." the track fell short in its mixing, in my opinion, a few decent Yoruba punchlines and there. Olamide almost fell out of beat on one of its verses. This is one of the tracks that I think should stay on a mix tape, because it almost sounds like a freestyle. (6/10).

Skamma is a good track that shows this dude raw skills when it comes to playing with Yoruba phrases, and the guy "PelePele" is pretty decent too. (7/10)

Eleda Mi O, Dope Money, Yemi My Lover, Turn Up, Durosoke, Baddo Love, and Motivation are my best tracks on the album for different reasons.

On Dope Money, Olamide raps in Ijebu (a western Nigerian variation of the Yoruba language). Its hard enough to rap in yoruba, to now rap in Ijebu…DANG!!!!(9/10)

We all know what "Durosoke" and "TurnUp" can do to someone on the dance floor. These 2 songs have been around for a while and well received among Nigerians. The video for Durosoke is out there too directed by the one and only Clarence Peters..(9/10)

"Eleda Mi O" has a Juju feel to it. "Motivation" is that track that features Ice Prince Zamani, Endia and Pepanazi…FIRE!!!!!!!!! Ice Prince has a way of killing those tracks on which he is featured then he will start delivering so not so tight lines on his own music. (8/10)

Another Track that is worthy of mention has to be "Position Yourself." It is a Makossa beat……….and Olamide sings more than rap on this song (on some Drake kinda tinz…lol).

The beat on "Gbadun Arawa" sounds like D'banj's "Mobolowowon" (just the beat without the instrumentation). It's another commercial hit by Olamide.

"Yemi My Lover" is the rappers song about heart break and a returning lover. Beat - correct, delivery - correct, and he uses assonance pretty well on this track rather than his regular use of Yoruba hyperbole. (8/10)

A track that is totally different and even sweet on this album is "High" featuring Bez. Bez introduces his coarse voice that makes it a pleasure to listen to. (8/10)

"Church" is a head bumping track and it also has a philosophical chorus but the verses did not provide as much depth though, he sounded like an old school rap imitation of junior and pretty on his verses which I thought was pretty cool too and lets not forget Viktoh's voice on the bridge sounding like a Wande Coal (8/10).

"Mu emu" is different and he infuses a few Ijebu lines on the verses, the beat is quite simple and Olamide does his thing. (7/10)

Other tracks like "Sitting on the throne" and "King shit" were pretty Ok in my opinion, it just does not give me that rare feeling….and of course "Rayban Abacha" has been around for so long, if not longer than "Turn up" and "Durosoke", its a typical Olamide doing his thing over some crank southern style beat and I love the chorus (7/10).

In all, this album is a worthy listen most definitely. You might skip one or two tracks but mostly a listen through and I love it.

However, I did not review the tracks based on the message and the themes thereof. That is a little bit difficult to do with the Olamide's sub genre and style of music. So the review was basically based on the sound, beat and rap delivery....I would have loved to pick punch lines from all tracks but they are too many of them.

P.S: I should take a picture of my "Gunman Pose" in support of this album.

Do you agree with this review? All Olamide fans, we'd like to hear your opinion. Leave your comments.

http://www.infonubia.com/2013/11/album-review-olamide-baddest-guy-ever.html

Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by prymesolution: 11:58pm On Nov 19, 2013
Nice review. I disagree with ur take on Anifiwose tho. I think Olamide did that on purpose. It's a good tune.

Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by bilms(m): 11:13am On Nov 20, 2013
great
Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by tnature: 1:32pm On Nov 20, 2013
bilms: great
Thanks. Do you agree with the ratings ?
Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by tnature: 1:34pm On Nov 20, 2013
prymesolution: Nice review. I disagree with ur take on Anifiwose tho. I think Olamide did that on purpose. It's a good tune.
I listened to the track again and I understood your point.
Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by ikelvin(m): 1:34pm On Nov 20, 2013
tnature:
Thanks. Do you agree with the ratings ?
No I don't d ratings was partial, u rated almost all d songs 7/10 when actually some of dem are 5/10 for me
Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by tnature: 1:45pm On Nov 20, 2013
ikelvin:
No I don't d ratings was partial, u rated almost all d songs 7/10 when actually some of dem are 5/10 for me
smiley which ones did you rate 5/10? I could be a little liberal, but not partial when reviewing new albums cos I believe putting out an album isn't easy and I don't want to discourage folks from purchasing. Unless the album is really terrible.

You should also check out a review of Ice Prince FOZ and Brymo's MD&s on the site. Thanks
Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by alisigwe(m): 6:01pm On Nov 20, 2013
Baddest guy ever liveth>> alaga ibile. "Motivation" best track on my opinion and endia is something else!
Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by ajasa4link: 9:10pm On Nov 20, 2013
I also think Anifowoshe should be rated 8/10, I love that track( maybe because I love the real song tho)...my best tracks are turn up,higher,position urself ( it's surely going to be a commercial success),yemi my lover and gbadun arawa... For d.o.pe money, I think the rap in ijebu was great,free-flowing and funny,but the chorus wasn't tight enough.....In viewing the album overall, I think the album was too commercial, it can't stand YBNL at all in content and lyrics, I mean we don't have songs on BGEL that can match fvcking with the devil,panumo, owotabua, money and the cypher he did with reminisce and base one....I bought BGEL been listening to it since then,and I listened again to the YBNL album and I can't but notice he has been too commercial to a fault in BGEL... By the way,I think he needs to start featuring established artists and not just upcoming artists all the time, that's what reminisce did in alaga ibile and I can tell u am feeling that album more than BGEL ( please don't see me as olamide's hater,this is my humble observation,as a matter of fact I've been following olamide right from day 1. I have his 3 albums right here all ofwhich I purchased not later than 2 weeks after release )
Lastly,I think he should work with more producers in the future so as to give room for variety, I don't like the idea of pheelz producing 20 out of 21 tracks,let more producers bring in their own unique touch ( he should also take a cue on this from reminisce as well).
My 2cents tho

Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by tnature: 1:04am On Nov 21, 2013
ajasa4link: I also think Anifowoshe should be rated 8/10, I love that track( maybe because I love the real song tho)...my best tracks are turn up,higher,position urself ( it's surely going to be a commercial success),yemi my lover and gbadun arawa... For d.o.pe money, I think the rap in ijebu was great,free-flowing and funny,but the chorus wasn't tight enough.....In viewing the album overall, I think the album was too commercial, it can't stand YBNL at all in content and lyrics, I mean we don't have songs on BGEL that can match fvcking with the devil,panumo, owotabua, money and the cypher he did with reminisce and base one....I bought BGEL been listening to it since then,and I listened again to the YBNL album and I can't but notice he has been too commercial to a fault in BGEL... By the way,I think he needs to start featuring established artists and not just upcoming artists all the time, that's what reminisce did in alaga ibile and I can tell u am feeling that album more than BGEL ( please don't see me as olamide's hater,this is my humble observation,as a matter of fact I've been following olamide right from day 1. I have his 3 albums right here all ofwhich I purchased not later than 2 weeks after release )
Lastly,I think he should work with more producers in the future so as to give room for variety, I don't like the idea of pheelz producing 20 out of 21 tracks,let more producers bring in their own unique touch ( he should also take a cue on this from reminisce as well).
My 2cents tho

Nicely done. You didn't just criticize blindly, you have constructive criticism. For someone who bought both YBNL and BGEL, you are are true fan and all you seek the the best for Olamide.

Thanks for adding your 2cents.

Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by tnature: 1:06am On Nov 21, 2013
alisigwe: Baddest guy ever liveth>> alaga ibile. "Motivation" best track on my opinion and endia is something else!

The beauty of an album is preference. Different folks will have their most preferred track. Nice one!
Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by bilms(m): 7:39am On Nov 21, 2013
Mod. Fp pls
Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by lalaboi(m): 12:48pm On Nov 21, 2013
Its a really good album. I like majority and i wont even skip the the least interesting. .

If you don't feel Anifowose is deserving a place on the album. YOU ARE WRONG!

If you also think its not a good track per se and that it deserves 6/10. Then you have committed a sin! even God no fit forgive that kain sin grin grin

Na joke i dey o.

I'd rate it 8/10. One of the best This year!
Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by Dygeasy(m): 2:02pm On Nov 21, 2013
Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by tellwisdom: 2:02pm On Nov 21, 2013
Abeg wetin be this?? sad

Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by Nikapetrelli(f): 2:03pm On Nov 21, 2013
Badoo for life,Love ur songs though i do not understand Yoruba.U too much dude
Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by QMark: 2:05pm On Nov 21, 2013
As usual, Olamide can never get it wrong with me. All nice tracks, but "Dope Money" wins it.
Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by Leadn(m): 2:05pm On Nov 21, 2013
Nice review... but songs like that Dope money... I think it sounded more like a freestyle on a mixtape and deserves 4/10 for coming on an album

and as yu said, the intro by Do2un of Cool fm was uncalled for!

anyways in other news...

Pilot puts the "fear of God" into passangers e
with "we're going down" scream cheesy cheesy cheesy grin
http://xtremegists.com/we-are-going-down-pilot-puts-fear-in-passengers/
Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by mikael78: 2:05pm On Nov 21, 2013
badooooo......i just love that guy smiley
Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by Okijajuju1(m): 2:05pm On Nov 21, 2013
I bought this album a few days back same day I bought Ice Princes new album..

This Album is horribly bad.. I have been bumping it for a while and for a fa like me who has his 3 albums (Rhapsody, YBNL & this one), I must say that this album is just as weak as his first album. Barely 3 good tracks on the album..

I rate it 4.5/10

Ice Princes album gets a 2.5 for effort..

Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by hooper: 2:14pm On Nov 21, 2013
IT'S SHAMEFUL THAT MOST OF.OUR ARTISTES DOESN'T FOCUS ON LYRICS BUT RHYMES!!!
OLAMIDE ALWAYS FOCUS ON RHYMES..
DUROSOKE IS ABSOLUTELY NONSENSE....
DUROSOKE 0/10.
DUROSOKE HAS NO GOOD LYRICS....

BEAUTIFUL NUBIA, SUNNY ADE......(MUSIC ICON TO BE RECKON WITH )

Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by ajasa4link: 2:16pm On Nov 21, 2013
Okija_juju: I bought this album a few days back same day I bought Ice Princes new album..

This Album is horribly bad.. I have been bumping it for a while and for a fa like me who has his 3 albums (Rhapsody, YBNL & this one), I must say that this album is just as weak as his first album. Barely 3 good tracks on the album..

I rate it 4.5/10

Ice Princes album gets a 2.5 for effort..
what about alaga ibile? how will u rate it
Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by ajasa4link: 2:20pm On Nov 21, 2013
hooper: IT'S SHAMEFUL THAT MOST OF.OUR ARTISTES DOESN'T FOCUS ON LYRICS BUT RHYMES!!!
OLAMIDE ALWAYS FOCUS ON RHYMES..
DUROSOKE IS ABSOLUTELY NONSENSE....
DUROSOKE 0/10.
DUROSOKE HAS NO GOOD LYRICS....

BEAUTIFUL NUBIA, SUNNY ADE......(MUSIC ICON TO BE RECKON WITH )
lol...u don't even have the album and u are complaining... u are not a fan jare, let the fans do the review

Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by Jaywilzee(m): 2:21pm On Nov 21, 2013
Can't do anytin witout listenin to 'sitting on d throne'......love dt track....anifowose,king shii,higher,dope money,motivation,church and mu emu are my favrite tracks........
Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by iamswizz(m): 2:26pm On Nov 21, 2013
ok. undecided
Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by Okijajuju1(m): 2:28pm On Nov 21, 2013
ajasa4link:
what about alaga ibile? how will u rate it

I like these tracks;

2. Esu Pofo
3. Rep Adugbo

12. Church

Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by AGAMALI(m): 2:28pm On Nov 21, 2013
Olamide is gud no doubts about it but, 2 many songs in succession is just making d fans get tired of him. 4 real. I think he should space d songs a little bit and allow d fans 2 always want more. He rushed d BGEL album and pheelz on 20 songs, where is d variety. Album is still cool tho. I rate it 7/10.

Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by tnature: 2:29pm On Nov 21, 2013
lalaboi: Its a really good album. I like majority and i wont even skip the the least interesting. .

If you don't feel Anifowose is deserving a place on the album. YOU ARE WRONG!

If you also think its not a good track per se and that it deserves 6/10. Then you have committed a sin! even God no fit forgive that kain sin grin grin

Na joke i dey o.

I'd rate it 8/10. One of the best This year!

I get ur point about Anifowose. I gbadun ur sense of humor too. You try wink
Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by IAMBREEZY: 2:35pm On Nov 21, 2013
Nice one
Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by Texykool: 2:40pm On Nov 21, 2013
So Badoo featured Pepenazy... Dats good!

Re: Olamide - Baddest Guy Ever Liveth - Album Review by Psychedelia(m): 2:40pm On Nov 21, 2013
Baddest album ever droppeth.

I'm definitely looking forward to picking this up as soon as I go shopping.

Shey Phyno was in Doppe Money? I can't wait to listen to that track too, cuz the guy is on point as well cool

Phyno – 'Okpeke' Ft. 2baba & Flavour (Video) / "Wagwan" & "Fall For Me" By Laycon (Lyrics Video) / Tonic Solfa Of Joy To The World - Christmas Hymn

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49