Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,502 members, 7,781,530 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:19 PM

Online Dating and Possible Marriage. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Online Dating and Possible Marriage. (31088 Views)

Challenges Of Being A Single Guy And Possible Ways To Curbing Them / My Online Dating Experience. / Inferiority Complex in Dating and Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by dominobaby(f): 6:32pm On May 03, 2005
The Internet is awash with information both useful and banal. In a very real sense, the entire Internet is becoming (or rather is) one extremely large globally distributed and mostly public electronic library, post office and discussion forum (nairaland! wink), alongside online dating.

Websites and chat rooms often post pics of smiling happy couples that met through them and are now "living hapily together" kiss

Folks, what do you think about these? When you get to a chat room, what is your intention/motive? Can you meet a guy/girl online, date and later get married?

Let's share. My brother's friend recently (last year) met a Canadian girl online and they are married now. Do you think it is weird or cool?
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by Seun(m): 6:51pm On May 03, 2005
You can [I]meet[/I] your future partner in the toilet and live happily ever after. But I don't think you can prepare for marriage without the physical proximity. There is no way to build trust when there is no way to confirm what the person is saying. You may find out that one of you hates the domestic habits of the other!
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by c0dec(m): 7:07pm On May 03, 2005
hey dominobaby. u are a girl right? well, i'm a guy. guess what we just met online. and if u are single, then maybe we can work things out wink

dominobaby:

The Internet is awash with information both useful and banal. In a very real sense, the entire Internet is becoming (or rather is) one extremely large globally distributed and mostly public electronic library, post office and discussion forum (nairaland! wink), alongside online dating.

Websites and chat rooms often post pics of smiling happy couples that met through them and are now "living hapily together" kiss

Folks, what do you think about these? When you get to a chat room, what is your intention/motive? Can you meet a guy/girl online, date and later get married?

Let's share. My brother's friend recently (last year) met a Canadian girl online and they are married now. Do you think it is weird or cool?
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by quicksilver(m): 11:34pm On May 03, 2005
Well, I think whether it is cool or weird is dependent on the outcome of the chat/relationship that ensued between the two parties.

If the dude has gotten a life partner from such means, what then are we talking about? Cool or not cool he is satisfied.

1 Like

Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by Angelgirl(f): 9:51am On May 04, 2005
Actually, internet relationships as far as i know, its just like 2 out of every 100 relationships that really works! When i was first initiated to the internet, it was exciting and i wanted to chat and make friends, but with time you will realise that people hide under the internet and make themselves to be what they are not, its just once in a while that you meet the few honest ones, the same thing applies to the online dating stuff, people are just out to satisfy their selfish needs. So if you are going for it, (Shine your eyes , )and be ready for the lies, its the human nature!
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by solo2(m): 11:08am On May 04, 2005
Online dating is not too bad , any thing can happen from there no matter were both of them come from, it just like meetin other guys face to face, if the relationship is made to work , it will work and marriage will be the next .what mater is knowing whom you are chating with.
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by tayotina(f): 2:04pm On May 04, 2005
Really it's one of those things I love doing most. Meeting people online and chatting away. I have made a lot of friends both within and outside the country. We even talk on phone at times. It is possible to date someone online and then follow it up with phone calls and visitations. That is if you are in the same locality and if you are not, I guess you leave everything to fate.

But ask me if I can meet a guy online, date him and then get married to him and I will say YES.

1 Like

Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by henrietta: 5:41pm On May 04, 2005
hello cant pple put in their phone numbers?
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by whizkid(f): 10:52am On May 05, 2005
Online dating for me is just for the fun of it. 100% of the information I give about myself are all lies grin, don't even give out my real names, tell you it is that bad. I don't expect the other party to be honest with me either, common we are total strangers. I am sure there are millions of "me" out there,So if you are online dating, have it at the back of your head that the person might not be completely honest with you; else you get carried away and start thinking marriage.

1 Like

Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by dominobaby(f): 5:49pm On May 05, 2005
I chat but have never really got down to dating any one of them, i've got friends online and we even call each other, it's just fun for me, and i could never really take it farther than that.

For those who meet and later get married, i often wonder what kind of courtship they had, cos the internet may be able to guarantee you a perfect wedding but it can never guarantee you a successful marriage cos it takes much more that knowing a person's physical statistics, job description, strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes as written on a data form on a website to really know the person.
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by c0dec(m): 12:53pm On May 06, 2005
78 % of women that chat online are fat and unattractive and geeky with no life at all! the other % do it as a hobby.
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by dominobaby(f): 6:15pm On May 06, 2005
c0dec, is that to suggest that you actually chat and have met a few of these women? wink
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by Ka: 9:20am On May 07, 2005
Dominobaby,

I think one thing that might help on Internet dating sites would be if there was an associated messageboard where would-be daters could interact with each other. Then it would be easier to check out who was real and who was fake by observing how each person interacted with other people and checking their stories for internal consistency (does what they say check out with what they said earlier?) and plausibility (is it likely that what they said could be true, based on what I know about them?).

Or then again, maybe not.
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by markedos: 10:51am On May 07, 2005
Online dating and eventual marriage is no longer an incredible story. All it takes is for two people to be truthful to a reasonable extent and if both feel they can accommodate each other's failings, shortcomings and weaknesses, then they could go ahead and marry ... afterall, divorce is the order of the day these days; thank God for the courts!
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by drwhopl(m): 8:31pm On May 09, 2005
Girl, that matter is a 50-50 thing men. It hardly works down here in Nigeria. All the people involved want one white man or white woman whereas it's all a scam!

All this talk about online dating are 'film tricks' (fairy tales). It works for some and doesn't work for others because Nigerians are greedy people, especiallly the girls. (forgive me)

I rest my case.
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by tayotina(f): 8:43am On May 10, 2005
Excuse me drwhopl, it would be appreciated if you could withdraw that statement about Nigerian girls being greedy. What the hell?
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by dominobaby(f): 6:08pm On May 10, 2005
I beg your pardon drwhopl! What is that supposed to mean? You are not forgiven until you
tayotina: withdraw that statement about Nigerian girls being greedy.

Haba! The fact that it is all fairy tales to you does not mean you should make such conclusion.
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by oamen: 12:54pm On May 13, 2005
I sincerely believe in the effectiveness of online dating. Do not shy away from the existing possibilities in global communication. The world awaits. Explore and the only thing you can regret is not trying at all.
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by kodewrita(m): 4:58pm On May 25, 2005
oamen:

I sincerely believe in the effectiveness of online dating. Do not shy away from the existing possibilities in global communication. The world awaits. Explore and the only thing you can regret is not trying at all.

Maybe you should refer to CNN transcripts of an interview of the Match.com entrepreneur. He found out that out of 2000 couples that met online, around 50 made it to the altar. Now mathematics tells us that something with a probability of 2.5 out of 100 is not likely to happen.

Add that to the Nigerian phenomenon of boys masquerading as girls online for the sake of these pieces of paper we call money.

Maybe that's why drwhopl claims Nigerian girls are greedy. He has fallen victim to "[I]boys in girls clothing[/I]!" grin
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by Nobody: 8:12pm On May 25, 2005
Well, as a rule I don't mess with all these online dating sites. I think it's a sign of your game not being tight when you start relying on these 3rd parties to get you a girl.

Anyway, when I first discovered the Internet, I did try it for a little while.
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by 4evah(f): 8:27pm On May 25, 2005
wink
I concur with you, Angelgirl. It's all like that, they use fake identities.

However, it's cool to get an Internet relationship to marriage. I hear about it but I dont believe in it anyway.
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by Nobody: 7:16am On May 26, 2005
c0dec:

78 % of women that chat online are fat and unattractive and geeky with no life at all! the other % do it as a hobby.

lmao: You should be awarded for such ingenuity angry
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by Allenpowered(m): 11:40am On May 27, 2005
i feel what u are saying trae z,but u may integrate the online thing with ur gaming ang well it becomes tighter grin...u catch the drift cool

ii believe on the net one meet a lot of nerdsdumbies,crazies,weirdos, goody goodies,the nice guys(like me grin) and u may still get to work things out...

and kodewriter me and u know that 2.5 out of 100 is pretty high, how many guys do u know who married even their 5th girlfriend tongue(or even girls)? Multiply that by the number of people out there and the stas gets overwhelming...

i approach this issue tongue in cheek...online datin and possible marriage? -another probable, not always possible- just like evryother realtionship rolleyes
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by destiny(m): 1:28pm On May 27, 2005
I sincerely believe in getting to meet a prospective mate physically before you go a step further in a relationship, i don't see the online thing as a serious issue,hence my indifference to it.

Well, who knows where you'll meet the right person. All said and done i don't subscribe to marriage by proxy.
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by chawkee(m): 2:08pm On May 27, 2005
Hi all, it's so surprising to find more teens and some adult trying to find a 'perfect match' through the internet. Isn't it booboo?
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by DEwiseman(m): 4:13pm On May 27, 2005
I believe it is more of a way of passing time because I believe that it is not likely to be true relationship. Imagine what will happen if you enter into a relationship with a cousin of yours unknowingly.
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by fordoryan(m): 8:02am On May 30, 2005
Hey guys, I believe that love and companionship can be found in strange places. True, must of those who are on this sites are either insincere, fraudulent or not conventionally good looking, but we must remember that matters of the heart are all about chance (sometimes a very small chance) and it is for that small chance of success in any relationship that we persevere through the hard times sometimes going through the unthinkable!

Rather than condemn them and believe all their stories and intentions to be false I think we should look at ways of improving their effectiveness in achieving a very important objective, helping people meet people which is the first part of anything which may eventually become special.
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by dominobaby(f): 6:15pm On Jun 18, 2005
well what have we here, here is a living forum witness https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-469.0.html of some sort of online dating and they are waiting to meet!!!
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by Ra(f): 11:26am On Jun 19, 2005
c0dec:

How parochial. You must have some fact to back this up...... what? ........You don't?.......... sigh
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by Red(m): 7:46am On Jun 20, 2005
Try E-Harmony.com, their procedures are good and i have read about weddings that took place after E-Harmony matches.
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by kodewrita(m): 3:29pm On Jun 21, 2005
Try www.Metrodate.com/ng if you are interested in meeting nigerian singles (girls that is). I was told by a reliable source who claims to have joined that its pretty reliable and you get to send messages. haven't tested it though.
Re: Online Dating and Possible Marriage. by shockreaction(m): 3:41pm On Jun 21, 2005
You know the problem with most "free" online dating sites? I actually know guys who pose as girls. Why? To get money from people who fall for their cunning tricks.

Aside from that, online dating is probably a good thing. If you're too shy to actually approach a girl irl, then it's easier to do that online. You chat and get acquainted, get to know more about each other, arrange to meet, and see what happens from there on.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Long Should I Keep Sticking Around? / President Weah's Director Of Operations LEC Marries Wife's Best Friend / All Because Of Nairaland He Said I Won't Marry His Daughter.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.