Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,797 members, 7,806,205 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:03 PM

Must A Muslim Get Married? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Must A Muslim Get Married? (10945 Views)

20 Signs Of Weak Iman (Faith) in a Muslim / How To Prove To A Christian That Jesus Was A Muslim? / She's A Christian,am A Muslim. Can This Marriage Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must A Muslim Get Married? by CaptJHMiller: 9:40pm On Nov 17, 2013
Assalam..
I am a young muslim brother, growing up I never gave much taught to marriage as I knew I wouldn't marry till I was much older, as I grew older I started to reason not to get married until I meet a luvly muslimah. She is no doubt what I have dreamt of in a wife and more, I was able to convince myself we were meant for each other and we will spend our lives together and forever both in this dunya and akhira. One of my best moment was when we agreed to choose each other when we meet in الجنة , insha Alla.h..
Recently, it started to fall apart and we fought so often. I tried my best, put my ego and pride aside just so it will work but it just is not. I am a very simple person and believe so much In اللَّه سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَى will, but in this case it has been so difficult for me to just let be what will be, I have just tried to fight and fight to make it work. Maybe because I believe if I should lose her I'll probably never look to get married and will never get married.
Now I have started to go back to my previous ideology, I know marriage is half of your deen and it completes it, but is it forbidden not to marry?

My plan is to adopt children إنْ شَآ ءَ اللّهُ

جَزَاكُمُ اللّهُ
NB__ its not that I don't believe .اللَّه سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَى will replace her with someone better.
Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by elrony(m): 10:11pm On Nov 17, 2013
Yes u must marry...the sacred book says so!!!! tongue grin
Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by CaptJHMiller: 10:50pm On Nov 17, 2013
Please add quotes thenks.
Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by lafex: 9:28am On Nov 18, 2013
ASSALAM ALAEKUM
I am also experiencing similar issue and I understand how you are feeling. You serious prayer and patience.
it is highly forbiding in islam to make a decision not to marry. There are many hadiths that condemn such and I think the closest of them to your issue is quoted thus(I am sorry for not quoting it word for word)
'three men went to the prophet, the first said I will never get married, the second said I will never sleep at night because of prayer and the third said I will keep fasting everyday till I die. The prophet replied them that I am the best among human and I am married, sleep and wake up, and fast and break'.
So you have no reason to take a decision not to marry. If you feel giving up with her is better, that means that is not the type of wife you dreamt of. Then leave her and continue journey for searching a wife.
I PRAY THAT MAY ALMIGHTY GIVE US THE BEST OF WIFE
AMEEN

14 Likes

Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by maclatunji: 9:41am On Nov 18, 2013
Since this is a matter of Islamic Jurisprudence, I will not state my understanding on the matter. Rather, I will insha Allah post quotes from authorities on the matter.
Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by CaptJHMiller: 10:43am On Nov 18, 2013
جَزَاكُمُ اللّهُ lafex for your contribution.

Mac.. I'll appreciate if you do, wouldn't mind your personal opinion as well.
Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by tbaba1234: 12:33pm On Nov 18, 2013
I feel this decision is coming from heart-break. It will pass, eventually.

Bf-Gf relationships are haram anyway. Don't worry, your mind will change when you meet another nice muslimah, in sha Allah.

4 Likes

Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by deols(f): 2:21pm On Nov 18, 2013
This is a post heartbreak disorder.

gosh!!! How do you give a human being that much control over your life?

Are you saying that you are not good enough to find someone else to live your life with?? haba!!

Even someone better than her?

Trust me, if you try too hard to stay on while she's done with you, she won't ever respect you but will resent you more.

Oya get up jorhhhh and do something impprtant with your life. Before you know it, a better Muslimah would be ready to spend her life with you. Let this one go and wish her the best as you hope for the best for yourself too.

7 Likes

Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by deols(f): 2:23pm On Nov 18, 2013
You were not supposed to be in a relationship if you were not ready to tie the knot.

Maybe this is Allah's way of making you do the right thing.

Look at it from the right angle.
Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by lanrexlan(m): 2:39pm On Nov 18, 2013
lafex: ASSALAM ALAEKUM
I am also experiencing similar issue and I understand how you are feeling. You serious prayer and patience.
it is highly forbiding in islam to make a decision not to marry. There are many hadiths that condemn such and I think the closest of them to your issue is quoted thus(I am sorry for not quoting it word for word)
'three men went to the prophet, the first said I will never get married, the second said I will never sleep at night because of prayer and the third said I will keep fasting everyday till I die. The prophet replied them that I am the best among human and I am married, sleep and wake up, and fast and break'.
So you have no reason to take a decision not to marry. If you feel giving up with her is better, that means that is not the type of wife you dreamt of. Then leave her and continue journey for searching a wife.
I PRAY THAT MAY ALMIGHTY GIVE US THE BEST OF WIFE
AMEEN
Muslims are encouraged to get married.According to the sayings of prophet Muhammad(pbuh).It is narrated on the authority of Anas bin Malik(May Allah be pleased with him):A group of three men came to the houses of the wives of the Prophet(pbuh) asking how the Prophet worshipped (Allah),and when they were informed about that,they considered their worship insufficient and said, "Where are we from the Prophet as his past and future sins have been forgiven."
Then one of them said, "I will offer the prayer throughout the night forever." The other said,"I will fast throughout the year and will not break my fast." The third said, "I will keep away from the women and will not marry forever."
Allah's Apostle came to them and said, "Are you the same people who said so-and-so? By Allah,I am more submissive to Allah and more afraid of Him than you;yet I fast and break my fast,I do sleep and I also marry women.So he who does not follow my tradition in religion,is not from me (not one of my followers)[Sahih Al Bukhari Volume 7,Book 62,Hadith Number 1]

Narrated 'Abdullah(May Allah be pleased with him):We were with the Prophet(pbuh) while we were young and had no wealth whatever.So Allah's Apostle(pbuh) said, "O young people! Whoever among you can marry,should marry because it helps him lower his gaze and guard his modesty (i.e. his private parts from committing illegal sexual intercourse etc.),and whoever is not able to marry,should fast as fasting diminishes his sexual power[Sahih Al-Bukhari,Volume 7,Book 62,Hadith Number 4]

According to Sufyân Ibn Uyaynah (May Allah have Mercy on him),he said:The most nimble of creatures still have need of a voice.The cleverest women still need to have a husband,and the cleverest man still needs to consult wise men.

6 Likes

Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by tbaba1234: 2:56pm On Nov 18, 2013
Lanrexlan, I think you should refer more to scholarly sources, in sha Allah. Too often, we just state our views. Islamic jurispudence can be quite complex.

There are conditions in which marriage can even be haram upon a person. For instance, if a person is going to make the other person miserable.

There is a good lecture on this by sheikh Yasir Qadhi.

Maclatunji's response is more appropriate here.

1 Like

Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by lanrexlan(m): 3:02pm On Nov 18, 2013
tbaba1234: Lanrexlan, I think you should refer more to scholarly sources, in sha Allah. Too often, we just state our views. Islamic jurispudence can be quite complex.

There are conditions in which marriage can even be haram upon a person. For instance, if a person is going to make the other person miserable.

There is a good lecture on this by sheikh Yasir Qadhi.

Maclatunji's response is more appropriate here.
My mistake for using the word 'incumbent'.Will modify,just my views.Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by tbaba1234: 3:04pm On Nov 18, 2013
maclatunji: Since this is a matter of Islamic Jurisprudence, I will not state my understanding on the matter. Rather, I will insha Allah post quotes from authorities on the matter.

Very appropriate..
Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by lafex: 3:24pm On Nov 18, 2013
lanrexlan: Muslims are encouraged to get married.According to the sayings of prophet Muhammad(pbuh).It is narrated on the authority of Anas bin Malik(May Allah be pleased with him):A group of three men came to the houses of the wives of the Prophet(pbuh) asking how the Prophet worshipped (Allah),and when they were informed about that,they considered their worship insufficient and said, "Where are we from the Prophet as his past and future sins have been forgiven."
Then one of them said, "I will offer the prayer throughout the night forever." The other said,"I will fast throughout the year and will not break my fast." The third said, "I will keep away from the women and will not marry forever."
Allah's Apostle came to them and said, "Are you the same people who said so-and-so? By Allah,I am more submissive to Allah and more afraid of Him than you;yet I fast and break my fast,I do sleep and I also marry women.So he who does not follow my tradition in religion,is not from me (not one of my followers)[Sahih Al Bukhari Volume 7,Book 62,Hadith Number 1]

Narrated 'Abdullah(May Allah be pleased with him):We were with the Prophet(pbuh) while we were young and had no wealth whatever.So Allah's Apostle(pbuh) said, "O young people! Whoever among you can marry,should marry because it helps him lower his gaze and guard his modesty (i.e. his private parts from committing illegal sexual intercourse etc.),and whoever is not able to marry,should fast as fasting diminishes his sexual power[Sahih Al-Bukhari,Volume 7,Book 62,Hadith Number 4]

According to Sufyân Ibn Uyaynah (May Allah have Mercy on him),he said:The most nimble of creatures still have need of a voice.The cleverest women still need to have a husband,and the cleverest man still needs to consult wise men.
Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by lafex: 3:44pm On Nov 18, 2013
@lanrexlan, thanks for the complete naration of the hadith

1 Like

Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by Tsmooth1(m): 3:50pm On Nov 18, 2013
Abu Huraira didnt marry during his lifetime and he is one of the closest companion of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW). Maybe it is not compulsory. But I would advice u to seek to knowledge of Scholars.
Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by greall1: 3:52pm On Nov 18, 2013
Wait for your time u wil find ur soul mate

1 Like

Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Nov 18, 2013
Na by force bro.
Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by tols4gorgeous(f): 3:57pm On Nov 18, 2013
Capt. JH Miller:
Assalam..
I am a young muslim brother, growing up I never gave much taught to marriage as I knew I wouldn't marry till I was much older, as I grew older I started to reason not to get married until I meet a luvly muslimah. She is no doubt what I have dreamt of in a wife and more, I was able to convince myself we were meant for each other and we will spend our lives together and forever both in this dunya and akhira. One of my best moment was when we agreed to choose each other when we meet in الجنة , insha Alla.h..
Recently, it started to fall apart and we fought so often. I tried my best, put my ego and pride aside just so it will work but it just is not. I am a very simple person and believe so much In اللَّه سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَى will, but in this case it has been so difficult for me to just let be what will be, I have just tried to fight and fight to make it work. Maybe because I believe if I should lose her I'll probably never look to get married and will never get married.
Now I have started to go back to my previous ideology, I know marriage is half of your deen and it completes it, but is it forbidden not to marry?

My plan is to adopt children إنْ شَآ ءَ اللّهُ

جَزَاكُمُ اللّهُ
NB__ its not that I don't believe .اللَّه سُبْحَانَهُ وَتَعَالَى will replace her with someone better.

One advice.....don't be A̶̲̥̅̊ FANATIC
Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by Ghadafy(m): 3:58pm On Nov 18, 2013
Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by Kingspin(m): 3:59pm On Nov 18, 2013
Peace before Marriage abeg!
Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by oluking: 4:00pm On Nov 18, 2013
i wish i have something to say.. undecided maybe later i will manage to say something relevant...... grin grin grin grin
Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by rattlesnake(m): 4:13pm On Nov 18, 2013
elrony: Yes u must marry...the sacred book says so!!!! tongue grin
scared book shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Nov 18, 2013
grin
Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by xclusive43(m): 4:24pm On Nov 18, 2013
The Prophet himself
married and also encouraged others to
marry. It has been reported that The
Prophet Muhammad said
‘A person who possesses the means to
marry (i.e. he is able to work etc. to
support a wife and children) and does
not marry then he is not from amongst
us (i.e. the believers).’

In another narration the Prophet
Muhammad has been reported to
have said,
‘Do not delay in three things; 1) The
offering of the obligatory prayer. 2) The
offering of the funeral prayer when the
deceased’s body is present . 3) The
marriage of a woman when her couple is
found’

So also the hadith that my brother qouted above
And the quranic verse below
‘And wed the single among you’. (Q24 :
V3

From the verse above we call all see that Allah(SWT)himself odered us to marry.......

just because some one broke your heart doesnt mean you can't find someone better

4 Likes

Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by Wizeboy(m): 4:36pm On Nov 18, 2013
Marriage is highly recommended in Islam as its been regarded as an half of deen.

The Holy Quran says,
“And marry those among you who are single and those who are fit among your male slaves and your female slaves; if they are needy, Allah will make them free from want out of His grace; and Allah is Ample-giving, Knowing.” (Surah an-Nur, 24:32)

The above ayat begins with the words Wa Ankehoo (And marry…). The imperative form of the word ‘nikah’ implies that either it is obligatory or highly recommended.1 According to scholars, though marriage is a highly recommended act, it becomes obligatory when there is a chance of falling into sin.

The Prophet (S) says, “No house has been built in Islam more beloved in the sight of Allah than through marriage.”
On another occasion the Prophet (S) said,
“The best people of my nation (Ummat) are those who get married and have chosen their wives, and the worst people of my nation are those who have kept away from marriage and are passing their lives as bachelors.” 3
Imam ‘Ali (A.S.) exhorts, “Marry, because marriage is the tradition of the Prophet (S).” The Prophet (S) also said, “Whosoever likes to follow my tradition, then he should know that marriage is from my tradition.”

IMPORTANCE OF MARRIAGE ARE AS FOLLOWS:

1. Marriage Enhances the Value of Prayers

The Prophet (S) said, “Two rak‘ats (cycles) prayed by a married person are better than the night-vigil and the fast of a single person.” 10
A woman came to the Prophet (S) and said that she had tried everything to attract her husband but in vain; he does not leave his meditation to pay any attention to her.
The Prophet (S) told her to inform her husband about the reward of sexual intercourse which he described as follows: “When a man approaches his wife, he is guarded by two angels and [at that moment in Allah’s views] he is like a warrior fighting for the cause of Allah. When he has intercourse with her, his sins fall like the leaves of the tree [in fall season]. When he performs the major ablution, he is cleansed from sins.

2. Marriage increases Sustenance

The Holy Prophet (S) remarked, “Give spouses to your single ones, because Allah makes their morality better (improves it) (under the shadow of marriage) and expands their sustenance and increases their generosity (human values).”

3. Fulfillment of Sexual Urge

The Holy Prophet (S) and the Holy Imams (A.S.) also encouraged their followers to marry and to fulfill their sexual urges in lawful ways.

4. Various studies prove that married people remain healthier, physically and mentally. Islam has always maintained that marriage is beneficial for us in many ways.

Islam also regards marriage as a way to acquire spiritual perfection.
The Prophet (S) said, “One who marries, has already guarded half of his religion, therefore he should fear Allah for the other half.” 9 How true! A person who fulfills his sexual urges lawfully would rarely be distracted in spiritual pursuits.

May Almighty Allah continue to guide us aright and increase our knowledge towards the right path (Amin)

5 Likes

Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by tbaba1234: 4:37pm On Nov 18, 2013
Best response

xclusive43: And i Qoute
Sheikh Ahmad Kutty , a senior lecturer and
Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of
Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

“Although marriage is generally considered
a highly recommended act, yet from the
point of view of fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence)
—because of diverse circumstances—it can
readily fall into one of the four categories
listed below: Fard (obligatory) or mustahabb
(recommended) or haram (forbidden) or
simply halal (permitted).
1. Marriage is considered fard (obligatory)
if a person is so tormented by sexual desire
that he/she fears falling into the sin of
fornication. Since staying away from
fornication is obligatory, and since
marriage is the only avenue for legitimate
sexual satisfaction, it becomes obligatory on
such a person to get married. This is based
on the principle in jurisprudence that says:
“If an obligatory thing cannot be fulfilled
except by fulfilling another, then fulfilling
the latter becomes equally obligatory.”

2. If, however, he or she is not so tormented
by sexual desire, and, hence, there is no
fear of falling into sin, then it is highly
recommended to get married if one has the
means to do so. By doing so, one is fulfilling
one of the great Sunnahs of the Prophet
(peace and blessings be upon him), our
perfect role model.

3. If a person knows for certain that he or
she cannot fulfill the duties required in
marriage, and there is no fear of his/her
falling into sin, then it becomes haram for
such a person to get married. Islam forbids
us from doing injustice to another person;
this would definitely be the case if one were
to neglect his/her spousal duties.

4. If a person has no means to marry and
is, therefore, incapable of fulfilling his
spousal duties, but has strong desire, it is
permitted for him to get married—provided
he tries earnestly to seek an honest source
of living. Allah has promised to help such a
person. We must also add here a further note that the Muslim community has a duty
to assist such people until such time that
they become self-reliant.
If, however, no such measures are
available, and a person finds himself unable
to fulfill his spousal duties, he is advised to
curb his desires through the discipline of
fasting and other acts of sublimation.”

its left for you to decide

smiley
Re: Must A Muslim Get Married? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Nov 18, 2013
women are like shadows. you chase them they run away from you and you run away from them they chase you. no woman is worth making you go against an established sunnah of 'al mustopha', the greatest example to the mankind. (saw) let her go and she will be replaced with a more pious, humble and beautiful muslimah.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dreams And Dream Interpretation / Honest Opinion Of A Sincere Muslim / Muhammad Alee Jabata Is Not Among Ahlul Sunnah Wal Jam'a - A Misguided Preacher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.