Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,970 members, 7,806,812 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:37 AM

Scammers On The Rise: Be Careful! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Scammers On The Rise: Be Careful! (1969 Views)

Lawan Jafar: First Man To Inspire The Rise Of Civilian JTF In Borno / The Rise and Shameful Fall Of Nnamdi Kanu (PICS) / Commit Adultery, Go Mad, Women From Enugu Ezike Land Be Careful News For You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scammers On The Rise: Be Careful! by Truequest(m): 2:35pm On Jul 18, 2008
Dear friend,

I was scammed last week. And today a friend sent this to me.

Be careful before you pay any money to anyone or into any account.

It is possible to put these THEIVES out of business if we cross check every deal and excercise a little more patience in responding to their mails.

A scammer could be that very person next to you. Be wise, share information discreetly
Student Fraudsters!

June 30, 2008 16:14, 2,661 views
Three students of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Edo State, have been arrested by detectives of the Nigeria Police Special Fraud Unit (SFU), Milverton Road, Ikoyi.

•Timothy Ehimea

They allegedly withdrew about N34 million fraudulently from a People’s Bank account through the automated teller machine (ATM). The fraud was detected at the Benin branch of Access Bank Nigeria Plc.
The principal suspect is 20-year-old Timothy Ehimea, a part-time student of Science Laboratory Technology at the Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, Edo State.
Other suspects are, Ighodaro Osahon, 22, Electrical Engineering and George Osagale, 24, a Geography and Physical Planning final year student.
They are all childhood friends who hail from Esan in Edo State.
According to a source at SFU, “We received a strongly worded petition addressed to the Commissioner of Police in charge of SFU, Mr. Olayinka Balogun from Access Bank Nigeria Plc., regarding about N34 million Automated Machine Fraud (ATM) being perpetrated by an Ambrose Alli University student.
“The copy of the petition stated further that ‘one Ehimea on several occasions manipulated the ATM machine of the bank’s branch at 43B, Evifa Bufu Road, Benin City and his access card visa with number 4751-7500-0003 to withdraw the sums between April and June this year.’ Upon receiving a copy of the petition, we swung into investigation.”
Before Ehimea was arrested last week, investigation showed that he was living like a king on the campus, cruising around in his newly acquired cartoon colour Toyota Nissan Pathfinder sport utility veicle (SUV) with registration number AW 141 USR.
Ehimea was arrested inside the banking hall where, according to the source, he was officially invited for some other multi-million naira related investment with the bank and a red carpet was rolled out for the unsuspecting bank visitor. Until his arrest last week, officials of the bank inquired about his source of income and his business that netted millions of naira in such a short time.
Ehimea lied to them that he was a computer analyst and computer engineer working for a Google search agency with the United States of America, and each time they paid him with thousand of American dollars.

•George Osagale

SFU investigations revealed further that the ATM fraud whizkid operated about five different bank accounts through which he siphoned the ill-gotten money with fake credit cards.
The cards’ numbers are: 023002300002328, 030031000360, 0300350060038; 0301510025641 and 0101620002540.
In his confessional statement, Ehimea admitted all charges levelled against him.
According to him, “what I illegally withdrew was not N34 million but N20 million.
“One morning that I needed to cash money from the bank with my Access Bank visa card, I spotted the faulty machine. I discovered that each time I withdrew money my account would not be debited, so I just kept on withdrawing.
“But each time I withdrew some money, my account was credited again. I was always scared, but I would collect it, rush back to the banking hall and re-credit my account. I did this several times that I could not even remember.”
When Ehimea sensed the looming danger, he cleverly transferred about N12 million to his friend, Ighodaro Osahon’s, account at GT Bank, Benin, for safe keep, and hired the services of one solicitor identified as Mr. Edokpaigbe Edobor to fight his cause. He was paid N50, 000 for his legal services.

•Ighodaro Osahon

PM.News further gathered that Ehimea cleverly transferred some amount to different banks. These are; N3 million, Oceanic Bank; N17 million and United Bank of Africa; N5 million.
When police questioned both George Osagale and Ighodaro Osahon about the level of their involvement, they denied any knowledge of the ATM scam and Ighodaro stated that “I don’t know that Ehimea had transferred the N12 million into my GTBank account.”
Items recovered from Ehimea include five credit cards and six brands of handsets.
Commenting on the ATM fraud, the Commissioner of Police, Special Fraud Unit, Mr. Olayinka Balogun, advised all parents to engaged their children meaningfully.
“Children of such ages are very clever and brilliant. If their brains were not positively engaged it could be used negatively. Idle hands are the devil’s workshops,” said Balogun.
Meanwhile, the matter has been transferred to the office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) at Awolowo Road, Ikoyi, for further investigation.

AKINRINADE S. OLUSEYI|SKYE BANK PLC|Int'l Operations|708/709 Adeola Hopewell Street V/I|08066477886,07025231359|www.skyebankng.com

REPUTATION IS VALUABLE BUT CHARACTER IS PRICELESS
Re: Scammers On The Rise: Be Careful! by Kobojunkie: 2:59am On Jul 19, 2008
On the rise?? LMAO!!!!
Re: Scammers On The Rise: Be Careful! by redsun(m): 1:27pm On Jul 19, 2008
The Ehimea chap should be used as anti theft and fraud analyst for banks and financial institutions instead of been thrown in jail.He will play more useful parts in helping to check subsequent financial crimes than languish in nigeria HELL houses,called jails.

He is a product of the corrupt system,all he did was just try to be like the elders in his own ingenious ways,illegitimately getting rich and flaunting it legitimately without fear or reproach from the society,he is better than the politicians that directly sulk the people's blood.Some times people tend to forget that somebody like lucky igbinedion is a crude blood sucking thief,they are the kingpins,but when people see them,they start praising and shivering,dobale,alaye,bullshit.
Re: Scammers On The Rise: Be Careful! by Truequest(m): 2:34pm On Jul 19, 2008
redsun:

The Ehimea chap should be used as anti theft and fraud analyst for banks and financial institutions instead of been thrown in jail.He will play more useful parts in helping to check subsequent financial crimes than languish in nigeria HELL houses,called jails.

He is a product of the corrupt system,all he did was just try to be like the elders in his own ingenious ways,illegitimately getting rich and flaunting it legitimately without fear or reproach from the society
,he is better than the politicians that directly sulk the people's blood.Some times people tend to forget that somebody like lucky igbinedion is a crude blood sucking thief,they are the kingpins,but when people see them,they start praising and shivering,dobale,alaye,bullshit.

This is a rude shock are you saying that this guy for using his brain negatively should be given a national award because some politicians are thieves as well!
Re: Scammers On The Rise: Be Careful! by redsun(m): 3:58pm On Jul 19, 2008
He should be used to tackle the crime,he is just a tip of the iceberg in financial and electronics fraud,and knowing what he knows,he could be useful to financial institutions in controlling future incidents of that kind.

From a thief to anti theft,there so many americans like him,who from their ingenious criminal minds become authors of bestsellers on prevention of crimes,apart from that taking up huge contracts with financial institutions on how to work out solutions to financial crimes and fraud in their respective fields.

In every dark night,there is a bright day following.
Re: Scammers On The Rise: Be Careful! by bluehorizo(m): 5:31pm On Jul 19, 2008
The Timothy of a guy was aided by one of the IT experts of the bank. The IT guy was the brain behind the scam and not a faulty ATM.
Re: Scammers On The Rise: Be Careful! by dblock(m): 7:57am On Jul 20, 2008
redsun:

He should be used to tackle the crime,he is just a tip of the iceberg in financial and electronics fraud,and knowing what he knows,he could be useful to financial institutions in controlling future incidents of that kind.

From a thief to anti theft,there so many americans like him,who from their ingenious criminal minds become authors of bestsellers on prevention of crimes,apart from that taking up huge contracts with financial institutions on how to work out solutions to financial crimes and fraud in their respective fields.

In every dark night,there is a bright day following.

Dayummm I concur.
Re: Scammers On The Rise: Be Careful! by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jul 20, 2008
Why would you want money you did not work for?

This people getting scammed are just too greedy 'N stupid. I mean, if you received a mail that you won a lottery, aren't you supposed to atleast use your common sense and ask yourself when you applied for a lottery and which organization this "Funds" belong to?

Height of stupidity, I tell ya, Height of stupidity.
Re: Scammers On The Rise: Be Careful! by SkyBlue1: 11:04am On Jul 23, 2008
LOL, abeg see what i got through my email today, just absolutely hilarious.

To:
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 1:14:06 AM
Subject: URGENT

Good Day!

I am Chief James Ibori, the former Executive Governor of Delta State of Nigeria.
Without much ado I have to go straight to the point of my having to contact you. Right now I am undergoing a serious probe from the present President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria for misappriation of funds. I hereby confidentially inform you that I have the sum of $200,000.000.00 (Two Hundred Million USD) that I want to move into the safe custody of a foriegn partner who will invest it for me and for your participation I will give you 40% of the total sum when you receive the funds.

I can get this fund to you through any means of your choice be it through wire transfer or I can package and pass it through your international airport through a diplomatic means.

Please. let me know immediately if you can help me receive and secure this funds and please if by any means you are not interested in this business proposal I implore you to delete this message and never disclose its contents to any third party.

Thank You for your time
J. Ibori
Re: Scammers On The Rise: Be Careful! by BangBang2(m): 11:06am On Jul 23, 2008
Sky Blue:

To:

Good Day!

I am Chief James Ibori, the former Executive Governor of Delta State of Nigeria.
Without much ado I have to go straight to the point of my having to contact you. Right now I am undergoing a serious probe from the present President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria for misappriation of funds. I hereby confidentially inform you that I have the sum of $200,000.000.00 (Two Hundred Million USD) that I want to move into the safe custody of a foriegn partner who will invest it for me and for your participation I will give you 40% of the total sum when you receive the funds.

I can get this fund to you through any means of your choice be it through wire transfer or I can package and pass it through your international airport through a diplomatic means.

Please. let me know immediately if you can help me receive and secure this funds and please if by any means you are not interested in this business proposal I implore you to delete this message and never disclose its contents to any third party.

Thank You for your time
J. Ibori

ol'boy ibori still get govt email address?! grin
Re: Scammers On The Rise: Be Careful! by jaybee3(m): 11:12am On Jul 23, 2008
Sky Blue:

To:

Good Day!

Thank You for your time
J. Ibori

If someone ever falls for this then such individual needs to be sent back to solitary confinement for 5years as punishment for being stupid.
First question is why would ibori contact me (just any random dude from the pool of 150 billion peeps)?

Funny but annoying that some gullible westerners will still fall for this cheap shot!
Re: Scammers On The Rise: Be Careful! by SkyBlue1: 11:16am On Jul 23, 2008
LOL, i am honoured, my first 419 yahoo mail. Although technically speaking the e-mail was forwarded to me by a friend who got it and found it funny. I have a pretty much 419 yahoo, yahoo, proof e-mail account.
Re: Scammers On The Rise: Be Careful! by lucabrasi(m): 11:17am On Jul 23, 2008
i dont see any  elaborately planned scam here neither do i see any brain work in the story,this atm problem happens all round the world,i know of a barclays atm machine in london in 2006 though they corrected it in a couple of hours, all the guy did was not to report a fault that was the banks so whats the big conspiracy here
Re: Scammers On The Rise: Be Careful! by SkyBlue1: 11:20am On Jul 23, 2008
Well, the e-mail address is there so feel free to drop "Ibori" a line whenever you want smiley
Re: Scammers On The Rise: Be Careful! by bluehorizo(m): 12:48pm On Jul 23, 2008
lucabrasi:

i don't see any elaborately planned scam here neither do i see any brain work in the story,this atm problem happens all round the world,i know of a barclays atm machine in london in 2006 though they corrected it in a couple of hours, all the guy did was not to report a fault that was the banks so whats the big conspiracy here

I wonder ooo,some people seems not to know the meaning of scam again.
Re: Scammers On The Rise: Be Careful! by izahbnu(m): 8:04pm On Mar 15, 2011
Here is one scammer i caught trying to set me up to front claiming a huge amount of money from one foreign bank. she claims to be at one refugee camp in senegal. her name is mimi as she further claimed and here is her pic. nairalanders beware oh . i dont know what she took me for , angry angry angry cool cool

(1) (Reply)

Obj Illegally Sold Fg Houses To Bode George, Ogunlewe Etc / Prophets Disagree Over Yar’adua’s Return / Report Of The Commission Of Inquiry Into The Jos Crisis (1994, 2001 & 2008)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.