Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,017 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:55 AM

Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London (4125 Views)

PHOTOS: Embattled Bukola Saraki dances his sorrows away in Ilorin / Military Generals Are Hiding Away In Yola, Deceiving The President - Idris Ahmed / Boy Stowed Away In Arik Flight To Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by bluehorizo(m): 5:48pm On Jul 18, 2008

Nigeria’s President Umaru Yar’Adua was disgraced yesterday in London, when he was chased away from the venue in which he was scheduled to hold talks with British officials.

Sources told P.M.News last night that a coalition of over 30 self-determination and rights groups, under the aegis of Liberty Forum, forced Yar’Adua to relocate from The Royal Institute of International Affairs, Chatham House, 10, St. James Square, to a rundown building at 8, John Adams Street, London WC2.

The Nigerian protesters who are based in the United Kingdom said they disrupted Yar’Adua’s meeting with the British officials to prevent him from deceiving the Britons about the true situation in the Niger Delta.
pmnewscover-18-july-2008.jpg

“We are here to prevent President Yar’ Adua from deceiving the British people on the real situation in the Niger Delta. We are here to ensure that Britain does not send her citizens to fight the people of the Niger Delta. We are here to tell the whole world that Nigeria is a country led by uncaring political leaders at the centre, which does not care about the respect for human rights and the basic tenets of democracy,’ Kayode Ogundamisi, who led hundreds of protesters, told the British media, many of who had come to cover the event.

The British police watched as the activitist trailed the Nigerian leaders forcing them to relocate, and compelling the president to observe for several minutes the showdown with his entourage. He said that Nigeria has become a laughing stock in the comity of nations largely because of the fraudulent elections that brought many politicians to power, the high degree of corruption in the country and the lack of public confidence in the post election tribunals, most of which he said are ‘in the pocket of politicians”

The protesting Nigerians Representing various groups Including the Nigerian Liberty Forum , Women In Africa , Journalists for Democratic Rights, Odua Republic Front, ORF, Irapada Omo Odua, and sympathetic environmental rights groups, gathered at the Chatham House from 4 p.m., when it was 4.30 p.m. it was then obvious the organisers had a sinister move.

Contact was then made with insiders in the British press who then revealed that the president had been moved to 8, John Adams Street, WC2. The Liberty Forum quickly mobilized to picket the new location , Yar’Adua was picketed and organisers rounded off the remaining segment of the event.

http://thepmnews.com/2008/07/18/protesters-scare-yaradua-in-london
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by Queenisha: 5:52pm On Jul 18, 2008
That's so sad.They didn't have to disgrace our president in such a manner.
Weren't there no cops to throw those hoodlums in jail.
I'm not impressed by any stretch.
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by SeanT21(f): 5:54pm On Jul 18, 2008
What have your president done for the Uk to gain there respect?

anyway, It still was not nice of them to do it.
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by CH3COO(m): 5:56pm On Jul 18, 2008
SeanT21:

WTF? plastic head.
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by tpia: 5:57pm On Jul 18, 2008
they should keep on fooling themselves.

After Yaradua has returned to Nigeria, wont it be them, the British police, the knife wielding youths, and their usual rat race.

So disrespectful yet they'll complain when the people observing them treat them the same way.

and why did the British police find it difficult to maintain control of the crowd? Would they have allowed that with George Bush?
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by Queenisha: 6:03pm On Jul 18, 2008
tpia:

they should keep on fooling themselves.

After Yaradua has returned to Nigeria, wont it be them, the British police, the knife wielding youths, and their usual rat race.

So disrespectful yet they'll complain when the people observing them treat them the same way.

and why did the British police find it difficult to maintain control of the crowd? Would they have allowed that with George Bush?

That's what I want to know.
Even the army of lunatics are never enough to stop a G8 summit.How could a handful of idiots force a whole president of a nation to abandon a scheduled meeting venue.
This is disappointing.
They should have set examples with just a handful.
Round them up like nama and dump them at Kano airport.
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by Queenisha: 6:04pm On Jul 18, 2008
SeanT21:

Oh no you didn't.
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by debosky(m): 6:11pm On Jul 18, 2008
I doubt the veracity of this story. There was a protest all right, but did it force any shift of venue and was there actually any 'disgrace'? PM news is stretching the truth again I think.

Yar'adua stood by and observed the altercation with his entourage? Highly unlikely. . . . unless na leg dem take waka from their hotel to the Chatham house tongue
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by TheSly: 6:17pm On Jul 18, 2008
sad sad sad

SeanT21:

First thing. . . . .Learn how to read and peruse what a thread is all about before posting.

The Nigerian protesters who are based in the United Kingdom said they disrupted Yar’Adua’s meeting with the British officials to prevent him from deceiving the Britons about the true situation in the Niger Delta.
Nigerian protesters based in UK. . . . . .not Britons!!
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by buchio7(m): 6:26pm On Jul 18, 2008
SeanT21:

shame on u, no matter wat, he is still d president of nigeria and deserves more respect dan dat, u hav d nerve to spout dat sort of rubbish abt a man wwho even though hes election was flawed still is the c in c?

na wah for pips for dis nairaland, shaaa
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by SeanT21(f): 6:28pm On Jul 18, 2008
My Question is still not answered. Yall get mad when they protest againts him?

Why should they respect him?
What has he done for them?
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by McKren(m): 6:33pm On Jul 18, 2008
I am not a fan of  Yar'adua right now, and I believe the average Nigerian has 1million and 1 reasons to either dislike or protest what Yar'adua does

But protesting an attempt at resolving the Niger-Delta crisis should not be be one of them no matter how effective we may think it is

The crisis in Niger-Delta is no longer some youths carrying claws to fight. Some inetrnational cartels are involved in multimillion criminal trades that need to be checked. This move to organize international effort at stopping these cartel is very strategic and I think is the right call.

I also think its necessary to tighten security of our boarders and discourage illlegal oil bunkering fueling the crisis in the regions.  We need to as much as we can make sure the Niger-Delta crisis is an internal crisis until its resolved.

Finally I think some of these so called activists should be careful not to be used by people who want no solution whatsoever to the crisis.
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by landis(m): 6:36pm On Jul 18, 2008
It is a good sign.

The message is clear: he is not wanted.

He should stay in Nigeria and Fix it or let someone else fix it.

No hiding Place for all these rulers.

And the British Police + Govt have tactically shown to yara-dull; GO HOME.
grin cheesy grin

The crisis in Niger-Delta is no longer some youths carrying claws to fight. Some inetrnational cartels are involved in multimillion criminal trades that need to be checked.

Yaradull is 'executive' president. He should fix that. Fed-up with this excuses.
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by tpia: 6:43pm On Jul 18, 2008
SeanT21:

My Question is still not answered. Yall get mad when they protest againts him?

Why should they respect him?
What has he done for them?

its not about what he's done to gain respect.

The president and members of cabinet of any nation, are treated with a basic level of courtesy both at home and especially during foreign trips abroad, regardless any negative thing anyone can think of.

Is all this stuff not included in high school citizenship/social studies classes?

The respect is for the office, not just the person in the office. The office represents the nation, and once you disrespect that, you are showing what you think of that nation and its citizens. Thats why if the story is true, then these people arent helping themselves. Neither is the British police showing any respect for the people he represents, by failing to provide him with proper protection.
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by Richguys: 6:47pm On Jul 18, 2008
landis:

It is a good sign.

The message is clear: he is not wanted.

He should stay in Nigeria and Fix it or let someone else fix it.

No hiding Place for all these rulers.

And the British Police + Govt have tactically shown to yara-dull; GO HOME.
grin cheesy grin

Yaradull is 'executive' president. He should fix that. Fed-up with this excuses.

i concur
dis people need disgrace from outside country for them to learn to stay at home and solve thier own problem. instead enslaving themselve to whitemaster in search of expensive solution to a simple problem.
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by SeanT21(f): 6:48pm On Jul 18, 2008
tpia:

its not about what he's done to gain respect.

The president and members of cabinet of any nation, are treated with a basic level of courtesy both at home and especially during foreign trips abroad, regardless any negative thing anyone can think of.

Is all this stuff not included in high school citizenship/social studies classes?

The respect is for the office, not just the person in the office. The office represents the nation, and once you disrespect that, you are showing what you think of that nation and its citizens. Thats why if the story is true, then these people arent helping themselves. Neither is the British police showing any respect for the people he represents, by failing to provide him with proper protection.

Maybe they just do not want him in their country. So because he is the president of Nigeria they should bend down and kiss his feet. Not all president are welcomed in foreign countries. Just because he is a Nigerian does not make it a big deal. Where are all the Nigerians that live in London? Where were they when he visited? Why did the Nigerians that live in London not welcome him?
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by tpia: 6:49pm On Jul 18, 2008
SeanT21:

Maybe they just do not want him in their country. So because he is the president of Nigeria they should bend down and kiss his feet. Not all president are welcomed in foreign countries. Just because he is a Nigerian does not make it a big deal. Where are all the Nigerians that live in London? Where were they when he visited? Why did the Nigerians that live in London not welcome him?

look, if you don't get it, too bad.

seems you're not familiar with the concept.

In my explanation, did I say Nigerian president, or did I say office of president.

Please educate yourself. undecided
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by CH3COO(m): 6:49pm On Jul 18, 2008
SeanT21:

Education is not for everyone I see. Some people are just genetically ignorant.
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by Queenisha: 6:52pm On Jul 18, 2008
SeanT21:

Can you please read the news item before making a comment.
Is that too difficult a task?
shame just dey catch me here and I don't even know you
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by LASIEFAIRE(m): 6:54pm On Jul 18, 2008
CH3COO:

Education is not for everyone I see. Some people are just genetically ignorant.

Chemical your mouth sharp. Goshhh
egbon dey here dey crackkkkkkkkk up grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin wink grin cheesy grin
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by Queenisha: 6:55pm On Jul 18, 2008
breaking it down to Ms Sean.let's start with a few paragraphs at a time.
Note the highlighted parts.

Nigeria’s President Umaru Yar’Adua was disgraced yesterday in London, when he was chased away from the venue in which he was scheduled to hold talks with British officials.

Sources told P.M.News last night that a coalition of over 30 self-determination and rights groups, under the aegis of Liberty Forum, forced Yar’Adua to relocate from The Royal Institute of International Affairs, Chatham House, 10, St. James Square, to a rundown building at 8, John Adams Street, London WC2.

Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by tpia: 6:58pm On Jul 18, 2008
I understand why she doesnt get it. undecided

hmmm. I fear for so many black youths and their version of reality.  This is why ignorance in role models shouldnt be celebrated. White youths are far less likely to have this kind of problem. undecided
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by BigB11(m): 6:59pm On Jul 18, 2008
I do not see any big deal in this new development. It happens all the time, in fact my kudos go to the the Nigerian protesters for having the courage to display their dissatisfaction towards the situation in the Niger Delta. It is a great thing to be able to freely express ourselves.
Again, it isn't a bad thing to go on Strike or to protest; I see these two actions as an effective tool to communicate.

I'm sure that Yar'Adua now knows that something must be done quickly to resolve this Niger Delta mess. This situation is now becoming too old; we must find an effective solution.
The unique action of the protesters would also send a message to the Nigerian leaders in general that Nigerian all over the world are watching.

Please, keep in mind that I'm not blaming Yar'Adua for anything.  
Niger Delta mess should have been resolved 8 years ago.

Question:
How come these same protesters haven't gone to one of  Iboris's houses in London to also display their dissatisfaction?
They can also visit various houses of these politicians (Alams, Lucky Igb, Kalu and many many more) in Nigeria as well.
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by tpia: 7:01pm On Jul 18, 2008
Big B1:

Question:
How come these same protesters haven't gone to one of  Iboris's houses in London to also display their dissatisfaction?
They can also visit various houses of these politicians (Alams, Lucky Igb, Kalu and many many more) in Nigeria as well.

am also wondering too.
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by CH3COO(m): 7:02pm On Jul 18, 2008
LASIEFAIRE:

Chemical your mouth sharp. Goshhh
egbon dey here dey crackkkkkkkkk up grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin wink grin cheesy grin
lol
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by Kobojunkie: 7:04pm On Jul 18, 2008
Not sure if the report is based on reality but nice to know that Nigerians abroad are willing to stand up where those at home at not willing to. Would like to know how the meeting went anyway.  Hope more Nigerians will rise to protest and at least get him to act or leave. We live in the 'microwave' world, high time we start getting that in Nigeria as well so the common man can smile sooner not later.
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by tpia: 7:08pm On Jul 18, 2008
please be realistic here.

With all the shouting of Obasanjo's name everywhere, when did he ever get treated in this manner?

Wasnt he travelling everywhere with Nigerians laying out the red carpet even before his arrival?

As it is, I'm just wondering if maybe Yaradua didnt "settle" some longerthroats abroad, hence the animosity. undecided

make i hear word.
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by McKren(m): 7:11pm On Jul 18, 2008
The protest is an endoresment of the status quo

Its very shameful, this activists are willing to exploit every opportunity to get in the news
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by Kobojunkie: 7:15pm On Jul 18, 2008
I would not go as far as saying it is an endorsement of the status quo, if it really took place. I mean there are two sides to the Niger Delta debate, and as much as I feel these terrorists need to be taken out, we need the other side in this to ensure the government does not go too far. Those in Nigeria do not seem able to do such, so even though I disagree with them, I applaud their act (assuming it was all non-violent) and hope we have more of such in Nigeria.
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by McKren(m): 7:23pm On Jul 18, 2008
Kobo

International crime organisations are engaging in oil-for-arms exchange in the delta.

If they don't cripple the activities of these organisations then their wont be any truce because terrorists will continue to have access to arms and will be emboldened.

No kind of talks will succeed in that climate.

The Niger-Delta people have been heard and so too should the Government use this to understand the disaffection of most Nigerians regardless of region. But if we don't check this now Nigeria may be another Siera Leone.

I grew up in PH and I sometimes wonder if anybody wants a society where 10yr olds are in doubt whether its faster to make money joining a cult group than going to school.
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by BigB11(m): 7:29pm On Jul 18, 2008
Nigerians in Nigeria should also do their part. They know where these folks (corrupt politicians) live. They shouldn't allow them to smell peace.
Create a time-table for each and every Nigerian corrupt politician; visit their houses in large groups and let them know how you feel. If this could be done for 2 years straight, I guarantee you that corruption will not go away, but it will reduce by at least 20 %.
This is another strategy for ordinary Nigerians (that claim that they have no power to do anything to fight corruption) to come together as one and fight these thieves.

Question:
We all talk trash about Yar'Adua being slow and passive, but how do you describe Nigerians (ourselves) that have laid down on the floor, faced down and being raped over and over by politicians for many years?

Answer:
Worst than slow and passive.
Re: Protesters Chased Yar’adua Away In London by debosky(m): 7:40pm On Jul 18, 2008
protesting about Yar'adua my foot - Ibori and co breeze into London regularly (at least before his passport was confiscated) buying up properties and the rest, still no protest goes on there.

And who says those in Nigeria 'do not seem able to do such'? Was it not the non-violent protests of MOSOP for the Ogoni people that succeeded in driving Shell out of their lands? Is it not the same non-violent protests that is making the FG to consider bringing in a new operator that would be acceptable to the Ogonis?

I see this as a mere publicity stunt, the real protests should be against the militants blowing up pipelines and leaking oil into the environment, against the so called 'freedom fighters' that recently disrupted road construction in the Delta and made the contractor leave.

Yar'adua is too ambivalent for me - he responds to every shift and change in opposition or support for his actions, while he should be a 'listening' president, you need to act with a deep conviction about certain things if you want to solve the problem. Even the so called 'summit' is being shelved now.

The protest should have been against his flat footed inaction so far.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Umaru Yar’adua Regime Launches $5 Million Online War / APC Channel/ APC PRIMARIES TIME TABLE / Awolowo Vs Mandela Who Gave His People More Impact/who Is Greater?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.