Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:43 PM

Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone (36390 Views)

20 Year-old Onitsha House Maid Hacked To Death For Refusing Sex With Boss’s Son / Destroy Recharge Cards After Use.. / Calabar Boy Caught And Burnt To Death For Stealing (Graphic Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by kel4soft: 8:07pm On Nov 19, 2013
AN Effurun high court, has sentenced a 24 year old secondary school student, Moses Akatugba, to death by hanging for robbing GSM handsets and recharge cards, just as a commercial motorcyclist, popularly called ‘okada’ rider was also jailed 15 years imprisonment for robbing a female passenger of her GSM handset.

Moses was convicted on a two-count charge of conspiracy and armed robbery contrary to section 6 (b) and punishable under section 1 (2) (a) of the Robbery and Firearms (Special Provisions) Act Cap R11 Volume 14 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.

Prosecution told the court that the convict with others now at large “robbed one Mrs. Akpor Mazino of the sum of N113,930 cash, 3 GSM handsets, 54 various denomination of MTN recharge vouchers, 28 Econnet vouchers and 25 GLO vouchers valued over N100,000 at Number 30 NNPC Housing complex road,
Ekpan”.

The victim in her evidence gave a vivid account of how she was robbed of the items at her shop at gunpoint.

The female passenger, Amaka Okafor told the court that “on realizing the gun was a toy, I resisted him but he overpowered me after biting me with his teeth and snatched my phone from me”.

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/11/student-die-hanging-stealing-gsm-handsets-recharge-cards/
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by kel4soft: 8:08pm On Nov 19, 2013
Please this should be sent to FP to discuss exhaustively. That judge needs a brain surgery.

41 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by adewale2011(m): 8:28pm On Nov 19, 2013
i dey tell you guy.... na murder case??

1 Like

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by babanne(m): 8:34pm On Nov 19, 2013
kel4soft: Please this should be sent to FP to discuss exhaustively. That judge needs a brain surgery.
Do you actually know what the law says as to the penalty of armed robbery?

17 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by MagicBishop: 8:44pm On Nov 19, 2013
There is a big difference between Armed Robbery and plain Robbery and I am the sure the original charge was for armed robbery a crime that is punishable by death. The daft Journalist wanted to created unnecessary headlines by omitting the initial charge.

In my opinion he deserved the sentence he got.

And No this does not warrant front page.

8 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by kel4soft: 8:45pm On Nov 19, 2013
Bigger thieves in our country been celebrated. Some even have sympathisers here. They steal big and go free while poor ones are sentence to death.

12 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by sylvar02(m): 8:46pm On Nov 19, 2013
Bad!
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by kel4soft: 8:47pm On Nov 19, 2013
babanne: Do you actually know what the law says as to the penalty of armed robbery?

Sorry educate me on armed robbery laws. My concern is the double standard of these judges.

4 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by MagicBishop: 8:51pm On Nov 19, 2013
kel4soft: Bigger thieves in our country been celebrated. Some even have sympathisers here. They steal big and go free while poor ones are sentence to death.

I prefer the bigger thieves in Abuja than the desperate armed robber banging on my door in the middle of the night.

38 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by henrychubayo: 9:10pm On Nov 19, 2013
Sometimes, when u have a first hand experience of armed robbery attack, you won't feel pity for these guy.

I still remember my good friend Ejike. He was working but didn't get paid on time. So he decide to use Okada to make small money for evening food. He was called by one lady selling recharge card to take her home. The were attacked and this guys shot Ejike twice in his heart. He died. So sad.

If this boy is armed with gun, he can do anything to get his way. So my brothers, sometimes, don't feel pity for this guys if you don't know the real story. If he acted things prescribe by death penalty in the law, he should face it. But for me, let it be reduced to life atlest.

23 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by collynzo2(m): 9:10pm On Nov 19, 2013
ARMED robbery carries a death sentence in our beloved country. Good for him.

2 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by gerald09(m): 1:03am On Nov 20, 2013
24 n in high school n stealing cell phone Wow! I can imagine how s*tupit he is, y bother going to skool he would have spent does yrs knowing politician n perfecting his robbing skills. U don't rob peoples cell phone or laptops, dats grounds for execution either by d court or d people, instead u rob their future and resource and they'll worship and celebrate u for it.

11 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by Nobody: 6:00am On Nov 20, 2013
24 years old Secondary School Student? I don't bliev this vanguard tinssZ at all!
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by mickyarams: 6:06am On Nov 20, 2013
So why is Bode George and ibb still alive? ??

4 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by Henrypraise: 7:15am On Nov 20, 2013
Nigeria still has sum laws that ar bizzare, n our law makers are not willing to change/ amend des laws. Instead of showing expertise in law amendment, dey show expertise in d procedures tellin us of 2/3rd kini.

1 Like

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by Nobody: 7:47am On Nov 20, 2013
Jeeesus! shocked That judge needs to be sentenced to 3years intensive care in psychiatric hospital (Yaba left). His brain is misscalculating in codination.

3 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by kel4soft: 7:59am On Nov 20, 2013
Maybe I was too emotional on the poor student without looking into his atrocity. That said, I would like the NASS to review the criminal law. When will, stealing or looting of our public funds be punishable to death?

5 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by obyrich(m): 8:02am On Nov 20, 2013
Magic Bishop: There is a big difference between Armed Robbery and plain Robbery and I am the sure the original charge was for armed robbery a crime that is punishable by death. The daft Journalist wanted to created unnecessary headlines by omitting the initial charge.

In my opinion he deserved the sentence he got.

And No this does not warrant front page.
He deserves the punishment? For armed robbery? Yet people like you will gather in your churches to pray for James Ibori who stole the future of this youth? You will cry foul if similar sentence was handed down to Cecilia Ibru who robbed billions. You don't want it on front page so the world will not see and criticise your legal system? Do you know that Shina Rambo who murdered over 50 policemen when he was in the underworld is walking free today? Crass law of a jungle country!

12 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by taharqa: 8:03am On Nov 20, 2013
babanne: Do you actually know what the law says as to the penalty of armed robbery?
What kind of USELESS law is that?? Apart from the fact that ONLY premediated murder should attract d Death penalty in my view, were you not alive when a former LGA boss got 6months for stealing around #1.5million? Now, a 'nobody' steals Recharge cards and he is sentenced to Death by hanging!!! Does that seem remotely fair to you? Cud there be a much greater INJUSTICE perpetuated by d Courts ('Temple of Justice'- how ironic) and d Laws it interprets? Shld we be this Sillly and HYPOCRITIC because of some laws??.... I know the Judge was interpreting a section of d law, but he shld either have used his discretion Or he shld have just excused himself from such glaring Injustice. But of course d fault here doesn't reali lie with d Judge in this case, it is d Society (all of us) and the various Govts (past and present) that is failing itself, Woefully in this respect.... I TOTALLY CONDEMN THIS JUDGEMENT WITH EVERY THING I CAN COMMAND

10 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by taharqa: 8:05am On Nov 20, 2013
collynzo2: ARMED robbery carries a death sentence in our beloved country. Good for him.
sharrap!!

2 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by MagicBishop: 8:07am On Nov 20, 2013
obyrich: He deserves the punishment? For armed robbery? Yet people like you will gather in your churches to pray for James Ibori who stole the future of this youth? You will cry foul if similar sentence was handed down to Cecilia Ibru who robbed billions. You don't want it on front page so the world will not see and criticise your legal system? Do you know that Shina Rambo who murdered over 50 policemen when he was in the underworld is walking free today? Crass law of a jungle country!

You are just assuming from your a$$.

I am not a practicing church going christian

The biggest man I know and fight for is me.

Now take your mirrored assumptions and make your self scarce.

4 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by onuwaje(m): 8:07am On Nov 20, 2013
1.And what did stella oduah get for her worries?
2.What did the mofo get when he stole nepa pension fund

LAST BULLET
He shud have been convicted to 5yrs not death sentence

2 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by obyrich(m): 8:15am On Nov 20, 2013
Magic Bishop:

I prefer the bigger thieves in Abuja than the desperate armed robber banging on my door in the middle of the night.

You must be either a bigger thief or an accomplice. The smaller thief is aggresive because he lacks the security and protection of the state available to the bigger thief. For the fact that you support looting and pronounce death sentence on an armed robber then you must be worse than this judge and a very wicked and selfish man!

29 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by donphilopus: 8:18am On Nov 20, 2013
This' the rubbish I dislike. If this student is sentenced to death by hanging, what then would happen to Oduah??
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by MagicBishop: 8:22am On Nov 20, 2013
obyrich: You must be either a bigger thief or an accomplice. The smaller thief is aggresive because he lacks the security and protection of the state available to the bigger thief. For the fact that you support looting and pronounce death sentence on an armed robber then you must be worse than this judge and a very wicked and selfish man!

If you like ask your wife/girlfriend to prepare a hot meal for armed robbers when they visit you in the dead of the night while you gather any of your valuables to hand over to them and don't complain when one of them decides to have a quickie with your wife.

No body supports either of them but an armed robber is a savage beast that needs to be put down like a rabid dog.

13 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by obyrich(m): 8:32am On Nov 20, 2013
Magic Bishop:

You are just assuming from your a$$.

I am not a practicing church going christian

The biggest man I know and fight for is me.

Now take your mirrored assumptions and make your self scarce.
I dont care if you are a witch, wizard, pen-robber or poo-hole! All I know is that people like you are the real enemies of the masses. Only a dimwit will support such lopsided justice system as we have in Nigeria. This convict for all I care is a hungry, frustrated and misguided youth who deserves pity and rehabilitation! What could keep a 24- year- old man in high school if not planlessness and sheer wickedness of the looters in government? If this guy were from a rich home will he even go to court? Why is Nigeria laws so mean on the poor? If this guy were your brother will you open that maggot-infested buccal cavity of yours to support this judgement? Will your warped mind be at peace with it?

18 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by tomzman: 8:40am On Nov 20, 2013
dvdon: Jeeesus! shocked That judge needs to be sentenced to 3years intensive care in psychiatric hospital (Yaba left). His brain is misscalculating in codination.
The law is simple. Armed robbery carries a severe penalty. If you have ever been a victim, you won't pity them when judgement is carried out on them.

2 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by obyrich(m): 8:44am On Nov 20, 2013
Magic Bishop:

If you like ask your wife/girlfriend to prepare a hot meal for armed robbers when they visit you in the dead of the night while you gather any of your valuables to hand over to them and don't complain when one of them decides to have a quickie with your wife.

No body supports either of them but an armed robber is a savage beast that needs to be put down like a rabid dog.
What does preferring the bigger thieves to the desperate armed robbers mean? You don't create a jungle and unjust nation and not expect robbers and petty scammers. I'm sure you would support this dude if he were bold enough to rob the central bank of billions. You prefer big thieves, abi? Check yourself well man.

4 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by kubi240: 8:47am On Nov 20, 2013
what of those stealing our billions tru d pen
Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:10am On Nov 20, 2013
Usbeel: 24 years old Secondary School Student? I don't bliev this vanguard tinssZ at all!
bros, stop these hypocrisy na undecided
i'm sure u be ibo. For ur land, 44 years old dey write WAEC na!

2 Likes

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by collynzo2(m): 12:42pm On Nov 20, 2013
kubi240: what of those stealing our billions tru d pen
Death sentence is for those who do it through guns.

1 Like

Re: Student Sentenced To Death For Stealing Recharge Cards And A Mobile Phone by ayusco85(m): 4:32pm On Nov 20, 2013
Poverty

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Mercy Na’an Found Dead: Suicide Suspected By University Of Jos Female Student / Anambra Man Accused Of Killing His Mother & Sister & Burying Them In Enugu / Mother Of Two Killed And Dismembered By Her Manfriend And His Ritualists Friends

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.