Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,774 members, 7,806,135 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:58 AM

Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) (39184 Views)

Seun Kuti Leaks Documents Of Gov Oshiomole N17mn Trip To Miami [PICS] / Angola Set To Overtake Nigeria / What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by phantom(m): 8:15am On Nov 21, 2013
superstar1: we always mistake. most african countries can only boast of 1 or 2 cities/towns apart from their capital that are conducive for living with all amenities at your finger tips. the only exception is South Africa, Nigeria and Egypt. Apart from Luanda, there is no meaningful development in other parts of Angola. It is definitely an aberration to be comparing Nigeria (even in our worst state) to Angola.

Luanda is a lovely city and i love the beach but the truth is, you can't compare it with Abuja.

How many Angolans can afford all the houses displayed above? most of their estates are usually scantily occupied.
please stop fooling yourself.how many of the houses you see in upscale abuja are occupied? Dont even go there.our three biggest economies lag,abj and ph put together cannot compare to what i see up there.simple!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by phantom(m): 8:19am On Nov 21, 2013
rman: It so glaring when you see cities that have power. Look at Luanda at Night, beautiful!

And we keep deluding ourselves we are the giant if Africa. Abuja doesn't even come close to this due to lack of power and a few shabby settlements . Other African countries are fast catching up.

Let us keep practicing ethnic politics, religious bigotry, continue to embrace corruption,in a few years threads will spring up on social media on how Angolans hate Nigerians. Because we soon start trooping there. It is just a matter of time. Why? Because we lack the capacity to develop by ourselves. It is not due to the system of government, it is the people.

Nigeria is a dark country where majority are not smart but think they are. Unfortunately, this illogical species far outnumber the logical ones and are multiplying at an astronomical rate that we will soon end up with the dumbest nation on earth.
this has got to be one of the major contenders for 'post of the year' 2013.

1 Like

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by rodeo0070(m): 9:32am On Nov 21, 2013
I'm impressed...
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by Built2last: 9:53am On Nov 21, 2013
i need to be in that country in my next holiday. but how safe is it?
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by RockMaxi: 9:57am On Nov 21, 2013
Wow! This is wonderful.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by cashkid18(m): 10:15am On Nov 21, 2013
bcomputer101: Tinubu: Onwa weting happen now?

Ngige: Good day Asiwaju

Tinubu: What's good about the day when eclipse happen for your dormot? BTW,weting make you off your phone?

Ngige: Sorry sir, I be wan call you now

Tinubu: There is nothing to call me for, I hear weting happen

Ngige: But sir, hope still hope dey o

Tinubu: Which kan hope be that?

Ngige: The 65 units now?

Tinubu: Your head correct at all? The total polling units na 4,608 and you think say 65 go make you win? Abi u be witch?

Ngige: Oga, na Plan A be that o

Tinubu: Weting be Plan B?

Ngige: Cancellation or we go court. But I wan make you activate the Lagos/Ibadan Liars make them start dey spread propaganda and dey invent stories quick quick.

Tinubu: Ngige Ngige Ngige. How many times I call you?

Ngige: Three times Asiwaju

Tinubu: Nothing go save you. I sent that short-devil called El-rufai to go rig the election. Instead make him keep e mouth shut, he announced am for Facebook/Twitter. Na so SSS take know about am

Ngige: Aha, abi wan report that short man to you sef

Tinubu: No report anything. No be him make you lose. Nwoye wey campaign for just 2 weeks get votes pass you. I dey shame for you

Ngige: No be like that o, Jega follow do am too

Tinubu: Na lie! I told you say your people go reject you but you no believe. Dem reject you for 2003, 2006 & 2010. Why you think say them no go reject you again? Na same problem wey I get with Buhari wey make me no wan make e run in 2015 because Nigerians don reject am sotee I don lose count.

Ngige: Make I talk true. Na Fashola make me lose this election

Tinubu: For weting na? How my boy make you lose?

Ngige: No be him deport my people?

Tinubu: But, I be tell am make e beg now and he did. Na my boy make them reject you for 2010 too? Anyway, no be weting I call u for. I be businessman and you sabi how much I put for this election, N3.21 Bn,so I need am back in 2 weeks. I no be Chris Uba, so don't mess with me. (***line cuts***)

Ngige: But Asiwaju...hello, hell
grin grin.
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by nrdgeek: 10:52am On Nov 21, 2013
After 3 decades of civil war? Now that's the real Fresh Air!
Everything smells like progress.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by iterator25: 10:57am On Nov 21, 2013
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by PapaBrowne(m): 11:23am On Nov 21, 2013
And some people actually scream Eko Oni Baje!!!!

This is Luanda that is just out of a long war situation. Infact, Tinubu was already in power when the war ended in 2002. And all these developments happened in a space of less than 10 years. Lagos and Abuja should hide themselves in shame!!

But looking at these pictures of development, it is pretty obvious Nigerians have a very low standard. We need to demand more quality from our leaders and ourselves and accept less of trash. If Luanda can experience this much in a space of less than ten years, why not Lagos, why not Abuja, why not Port Harcourt??

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by iterator25: 11:32am On Nov 21, 2013
PapaBrowne: And some people actually scream Eko Oni Baje!!!!

This is Luanda that is just out of a long war situation. Infact, Tinubu was already in power when the war ended in 2002. And all these developments happened in a space of less than 10 years. Lagos and Abuja should hide themselves in shame!!

But looking at these pictures of development, it is pretty obvious Nigerians have a very low standard. We need to demand more quality from our leaders and ourselves and accept less of trash. If Luanda can experience this much in a space of less than ten years, why not Lagos, why not Abuja, why not Port Harcourt??
unfortunately

1 Like

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by juman(m): 11:34am On Nov 21, 2013
bloggernaija: Population -20,000,000
National budget- same as the so called giant of Africa
Electricity product-4,000MW in 2009 for 1/8 of Nigeria's population.
Oil production- largest in Africa .
Diamond production- $2 billion dollars annual in national revenues

This for a country that just came about of 3 decades of civil war

Boko haram
Niger delta criminal
Corrupt politicians ,businessmen ,thug and soldiers
Educated illiterates
Uneducated illiterates
Uneducated literates

So sad for one nigeria problem.

nigeria supposed to be very great country but is pulled down by few selfish people.

The only reasonable thing is nigeria should be divided.
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by omar22(m): 11:48am On Nov 21, 2013
Now this is what I call oil money at its best

1 Like

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by sse7en(m): 12:19pm On Nov 21, 2013
superstar1: we always mistake. most african countries can only boast of 1 or 2 cities/towns apart from their capital that are conducive for living with all amenities at your finger tips. the only exception is South Africa, Nigeria and Egypt. Apart from Luanda, there is no meaningful development in other parts of Angola. It is definitely an aberration to be comparing Nigeria (even in our worst state) to Angola.

Luanda is a lovely city and i love the beach but the truth is, you can't compare it with Abuja.

How many Angolans can afford all the houses displayed above? most of their estates are usually scantily occupied.
i was about saying the same thing...African countries do make that silly mistake of developing their capital cities only...but come to think of it their population is way lesser than ours, maybe that why they focus mainly on their capital cities
but thumbs up to them anyway because the city is even still undergoing development and it is already beautiful, i can only imagine what it would look like at the end
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by omenka(m): 12:20pm On Nov 21, 2013
KnowAll: NIGERIAN Leaders should cover their faces in shame only to share ghana must go is what they know.

The sharing of the GMGs isn't even the problem, it is the fact that the contents of the GMGs are deposited offshore in already flourishing economies that is the problem!!! angry
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by solomon111(m): 12:24pm On Nov 21, 2013
Luanda is the most expensive city in the world.
The cost of living there is through the roof.
Yes the place looks nice but that's it.
Hnw many angolans can afford those houses?
African nations should stop all these superficial devt.
Invest in the education and standard of living of your people FIRST and not all these gigantic,and ultimately useless structures meant for first world countries.

4 Likes

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by IGBOSON1: 12:40pm On Nov 21, 2013
s se7en:
i was about saying the same thing...African countries do make that silly mistake of developing their capital cities only... but come to think of it their population is way lesser than ours , maybe that why they focus mainly on their capital cities
but thumbs up to them anyway because the city is even still undergoing development and it is already beautiful, i can only imagine what it would look like at the end

^^^Why won't their population be less than ours when our favourite pastime is screwing and we breed like rats! You see someone that can barely feed himself......and living from paycheque to paycheque, marrying up to four wives or having kids with different women all over the place!
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by KnowAll(m): 12:40pm On Nov 21, 2013
Why do we still build roads without side-walks in Nigeria in 2013 haba !!!! The least we should expect from our Governors is to build side walks on any new road.

2 Likes

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by iterator25: 12:42pm On Nov 21, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^Why won't their population be less than ours when our favourite pastime is screwing and we breed like rats ! You see someone that can barely feed himself......and living from paycheque to paycheque, marrying up to four wives or having kids with different women all over the place!
no, fish
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by Nobody: 12:51pm On Nov 21, 2013
KnowAll: Why do we still build roads without side-walks in Nigeria in 2013 haba !!!! The least we should expect from our Governors is to build side walks on any new road.

That is one thing I respect the Angolans for. And they make sure the roads are swept clean so you don't see even a drop of sand on the sides of the road/pavement. Excellent stuff.

On a wider level, these developments in our brother African nations put a lie to the CNN/BBC propaganda machine which paints all of Africa as one hopeless hellhole. Thankfully nations like Angola are showing these foreign news agencies up for the liars and deceivers they are, and are showing that Africa is on the upward trajectory. Up Africa.

1 Like

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by solomon111(m): 12:54pm On Nov 21, 2013
omenka:

The sharing of the GMGs isn't even the problem, it is the fact that the contents of the GMGs are deposited offshore in already flourishing economies that is the problem!!! angry
True.
Depositing stolen wealth from Nigeria abroad is killing the country.
Isn't it sad that ibori will own a private refinery in southafrica when Nigeria is in dire need of such infrastructure.
Most of the asian tigers like singapore,taiwan and even indian are as corrupt as Nigeria.
Fortunately for them,their leaders are smart enough to re-invest those stolen money into their countries.
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by Nobody: 12:59pm On Nov 21, 2013
solomon111: Luanda is the most expensive city in the world.
Invest in the education and standard of living of your people FIRST and not all these gigantic,and ultimately useless structures meant for first world countries.

Stop reasoning like an illiterate. Those structures are not ''useless'' or built ''for show''. They were erected by investors in the Angolan economy and are corporate headquarters of banks, insurance, oil, construction, law, and other sectors. These firms are employers of labour. Their presence indicates a BOOMING ECONOMY. Do you expect such firms to operate from boys quarters or shacks? Saying ''invest in education'' etc assumes it is the Angolan govt that is erecting those buildings, showing you have very limited understanding of how economies work. Also, I can bet you've not looked at Angola's education budget, so don't criticize what you know nothing about. And those mass high rise housing estates certainly look like govt attempts to ''raise the living standards of the people'', so what are you moaning about? You would rather see slums, since modern buildings are ''not for Africans but for first world countries''? Please think before you type.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by solomon111(m): 1:03pm On Nov 21, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^Why won't their population be less than ours when our favourite pastime is screwing and we breed like rats! You see someone that can barely feed himself......and living from paycheque to paycheque, marrying up to four wives or having kids with different women all over the place!
pls stop talking nonsense.
Polygamy is a culture that occurs throughout africa even in angola.
The reason why Nigeria is highly populated is because we're a congregation of many nations.
The nation of angola is not up to the size of a single major ethnic group in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by Nobody: 1:04pm On Nov 21, 2013
Sweet
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by Aladelokun: 1:29pm On Nov 21, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by solomon111(m): 1:39pm On Nov 21, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Stop reasoning like an illiterate. Those structures are not ''useless'' or built ''for show''. They were erected by investors in the Angolan economy and are corporate headquarters of banks, insurance, oil, construction, law, and other sectors. Their presence indicate a BOOMING ECONOMY. Do you expect such firms to operate from boys quarters or shacks? Saying ''invest in education'' etc assumes it is the Angolan govt that is erecting those buildings, showing you have very limited understanding of how economies work. Also, I can bet you've not looked at Angola's education budget, so don't criticize what you know nothing about. And those mass high rise housing estates certainly look like govt attempts to ''raise the living standards of the people'', so what are you moaning about? You would rather see slums, since modern buildings are ''not for Africans but for first world countries''? Please think before you type.

would you mind telling us why luanda has the highest cost of living in the world,and how many angolans are able to truely benefit from their oil wealth?.
Would you also tell us why angola is still a 3rd world country despite their enormous oil wealth given their very low population?
I would also like you to tell us how much the angolan govt is investing on education and health compared to poorer european nations like romania,greece,and iceland?

1 Like

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by Nobody: 1:52pm On Nov 21, 2013
solomon111: would you mind telling us why luanda has the highest cost of living in the world,and how many angolans are able to truely benefit from their oil wealth?.
Would you also tell us why angola is still a 3rd world country despite their enormous oil wealth given their very low population?
I would also like you to tell us how much the angolan govt is investing on education and health compared to poorer european nations like romania,greece,and iceland?
Luanda has a high cost of living because of the high level of demand for goods and services by people who can afford them. Meaning that there is a shortfall between high demand and inadequate supply of things like housing etc. The answer therefore is MORE investment in the country to drive down living costs. That is where people like you can help instead of criticising. As for how much Angola is investing in health via a vis Romania, Greece etc, I thought you already knew the figures before making your loud, condemnatory statements. Next time do the research before posting.

1 Like

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by superstar1(m): 1:59pm On Nov 21, 2013
phantom: please stop fooling yourself.how many of the houses you see in upscale abuja are occupied? Dont even go there.our three biggest economies lag,abj and ph put together cannot compare to what i see up there.simple!

you better calm your hot nerves down. travel around africa and you will see what I am saying. I have been to Angola, apart from Luanda, other places are not any where near birnin kebbi. No doubt Luanda is lovely place with lovely beach and structure, i still stand by it, it can not stand Abuja. It is a small compact city but well planned.

if you are basing your judgement on pix, you are on a long thing. Not many people can afford those structures you are seeing, they are majorly occupied by their aristocrats, expatriates and of course Niger boiz. grin

1 Like

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by bukatyne(f): 2:05pm On Nov 21, 2013
ROSSIKE: Luanda has a high cost of living because of the high level of demand for goods and services by people who can afford them. Meaning that there is a shortfall between high demand and inadequate supply of things like housing etc. The answer therefore is MORE investment in the country to drive down living costs. That is where people like you can help instead of criticising. As for how much Angola is investing in health via a vis Romania, Greece etc, I thought you already knew the figures before making your loud, condemnatory statements. Next time do the research before posting.

I beg to disagree

According to CNN, it is because everything is imported by a rich few

Excerpts below:

Luanda is the capital of Africa's second largest oil producer, Angola (Nigeria beats it), a rising political and economic powerhouse.

Yet the country also suffered a destructive and violent 27-year civil war, ending only in 2002, which crippled its infrastructure and decimated its ability to produce its own food.

As a consequence, almost everything in Luanda has to be imported.

Heavy import duties, along with high taxes and monopolized supply chains linked to the powerful political elite further drive up the price of goods and services to astronomical levels.

Then there's institutional corruption, which creates high prices through price fixing and price collusion

Source:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/01/travel/day-and-a-night-luanda/
Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by Nobody: 2:10pm On Nov 21, 2013
bukatyne:

I beg to disagree

According to CNN, it is because everything is imported by a rich few

Excerpts below:

Luanda is the capital of Africa's second largest oil producer, Angola (Nigeria beats it), a rising political and economic powerhouse.

Yet the country also suffered a destructive and violent 27-year civil war, ending only in 2002, which crippled its infrastructure and decimated its ability to produce its own food.

As a consequence, almost everything in Luanda has to be imported.

Heavy import duties, along with high taxes and monopolized supply chains linked to the powerful political elite further drive up the price of goods and services to astronomical levels.

Then there's institutional corruption, which creates high prices through price fixing and price collusion

Source:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/01/travel/day-and-a-night-luanda/
Kindly take your trashy CNN garbage report and stick it where the sun don't shine. CNN is the LAST PLACE to go for any meaningful information, or discussion, of Africa or African economies etc. If you want to know about Darfur, Somalia, the conflict in Congo, yes. CNN is your place. Anything else to do with African economies, development, technology, or progress, leave CNN out of it.

1 Like

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by nrdgeek: 2:32pm On Nov 21, 2013
solomon111: Luanda is the most expensive city in the world.

I don't know the actual figure for education in the Angolan budget but this one truth I know, all the Angolan students I met in the UK (and there's quite a lot of them studying petroleum related courses in Aberdeen) were on full scholarship with a generous personal allowance of not less than £1000 per month. One, friend to my gf then, told us they had jobs waiting back at home, with pecks such as official cars and drivers. Reminiscence of Nigeria in the 70s, don't you think?

1 Like

Re: Luanda, Angola - The 'African Miami' (pics) by tsmack: 2:35pm On Nov 21, 2013
Nigeria is the only country where her citizens go online to rubbish themselves, their leaders, and their nation. Little wonder why other countries treat us like trash!

What is truly appalling is the level of ignorance displayed by the so called leaders of tomorrow. Blatant display of ignorance seems to be bliss on Nairaland.

I suggest you look up the standard of living in Angola and the living conditions of its citizens (may be that will make you appreciate your country better).

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Which Is The Best African Country To Migrate? / Planes Crashes Into The Sea In Ivory Coast During Landing, 4 Dead (Photos) / International Cargo Flight Lands In Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu. See Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.