Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,690 members, 7,805,841 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:07 AM

Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android (26834 Views)

Awesome Facts You Should Know About ANDROID {pics} / Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) / Ten Facts About Android You Certainly Don't Know! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by Olumidzti(m): 6:05am On Nov 22, 2013
Today, it is more difficult not to know android than it is to know the most popular operating system in the smartphone world. Google has brought the operating system a long way to make it the market leader in a very tight market which has surpassed the feature phones.

With a market share of 81.9% in the smartphone market in the last quarter (according to Gartner), it is safe to say Android is dominating the smartphone market. However, there are some facts you may not have heard before about Google’s operating system.

Google did not start Android

The Android operating system was developed by Android Inc. which was established in October 2003. Android Inc. which was founded by Andy Rubin, Chris White, Nick Sears and Rich Miner was later bought by Google who had been backing the company all along. The deal was struck in August 2005 at a price of $50 million.

Android officially launched in 2007

Google officially launched the operating system in November 2007. The operating system had initially been developed for cameras but Google saw a potential in the usage of the OS on smartphones which has come to pass today.

First Smartphone

The first ever smartphone to run on the Android operating system was the HTC Dream or T-Mobile G1 which was launched into the market in 2008.

Android has over a billion activations

Google’s Vice President for Android, Sundar Pichai, announced earlier in September this year that the Android operating system has attained over a billion activations on devices ranging from smartphones to tablets.

Naming

Apart from Android 1.0 and 1.1, all other Android versions have been named after sweet treats. Cupcake, Donut, Ice Cream Sandwich to name a few.

Naming Order

Android versions have been following an alphabetical order in their naming but many have failed to notice this. Android Astro (1.0) was followed by Bender (1.1) followed by Cupcake (1.5). This was followed by Donut (1.6), Éclair (2.0), Froyo (2.2.x), and Gingerbread (2.3.x). This was before Honeycomb (3.x), Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.x) and Jelly Bean (4.3) entered the equation. Google announced the KitKat (4.4) recently as its latest OS. L..?

Android is open source

With Google being a member of Open Handset Alliance (OHA), android has given users or interested party access to modify the source code of the operating system. This has allowed users and smartphone manufacturers great flexibility in adding features to the operating system.

Android is free

Google offers Android operating system to smartphone manufacturers without payment for its license.

Google gains from Android

Despite offering the Android software free to smartphone manufacturers, Google will likely achieve its aim of becoming the mobile advertising king through android devices. Google makes its biggest revenue from advertising and this will pay off in the big way with the exodus of users from PCs to smartphones and tablets. It must be noted that Android dominates both categories.

There you have it, what do you think about these facts? What other interesting fact do you know about Google’s Android that we have omitted?

Source: lolade.com

25 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by teelacruz(m): 6:30am On Nov 22, 2013
Nice one OP, amazed with the naming order

5 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by Nobody: 6:45am On Nov 22, 2013
Ehnnnnn! Tell me something! shocked
I bet 'L' will be Limpopo Brandy

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by algorithm(m): 6:48am On Nov 22, 2013
Kitty-cat = pu$y cat grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by sylvar02(m): 6:48am On Nov 22, 2013
Hmmm
Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by computerboy: 7:05am On Nov 22, 2013
Android 5.0 is Lime pie. Already announced once. You are correct dude

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by Goahead(m): 8:05am On Nov 22, 2013
Intresting... thanks for sharing@op.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by krugar07(m): 8:11am On Nov 22, 2013
computerboy: Android 5.0 is Lime pie. Already announced once. You are correct dude
wrong. it was said that the next after 4.3 would be 5.0(key Lime Pie) but it turned out to be 4.4(kit kat).
Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by Nobody: 8:25am On Nov 22, 2013
Olumidzti:
Naming Order

Android versions have been following an alphabetical order in their naming but many have failed to notice this. Android Astro (1.0) was followed by Bender (1.1) followed by Cupcake (1.5). This was followed by Donut (1.6), Éclair (2.0), Froyo (2.2.x), and Gingerbread (2.3.x). This was before Honeycomb (3.x), Ice Cream Sandwich (4.x) and Jelly Bean (4.3) entered the equation. Google announced the KitKat (4.4) recently as its latest OS. L..?
jelly bean is 4.2

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by Waspy(m): 8:42am On Nov 22, 2013
It would have made much sense if the OS is upgradeable/updateable, just like iOS

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by ignis: 9:01am On Nov 22, 2013
Ok, noted....
Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by Nobody: 9:04am On Nov 22, 2013
ANDROID cool
Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by Luxiana19(f): 9:04am On Nov 22, 2013
Interesting article.
Nice one @ op
Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by Olumidzti(m): 10:34am On Nov 22, 2013
Marthakingz: Ehnnnnn! Tell me something! shocked
I bet 'L' will be Limpopo Brandy
or lollypop? lol

4 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by Dannylux: 11:42am On Nov 22, 2013
runzlord:
jelly bean is 4.2

Upgraded jelly bean is 4.3

7 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by yomalex(m): 2:26pm On Nov 22, 2013
android
Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by zuma4k(m): 2:27pm On Nov 22, 2013
Ok
Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by vedaxcool(m): 2:30pm On Nov 22, 2013
Imagine developing a product for the over 1 billion android users, make all of us go learn software making on Android platform.

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by pappilo(m): 2:34pm On Nov 22, 2013
I Just got the Kit kat 4.4 OTA update on my Nexus 4 last night and the changes from Jelly Bean 4.3 are very subtle. It does feel snappier though. I am glad I returned my Nexus 5 becuase the Nexus 4 is still a beast and should still serve me well until the next nexus Phone is released in November 2014.
Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by tope3x(m): 2:35pm On Nov 22, 2013
Exactly...4.3 runs on note 3
Dannylux:

Upgraded jelly bean is 4.3
Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by gal10(f): 2:35pm On Nov 22, 2013
Op thanks for this information! Now I know more about my device
Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by Tolustar(m): 2:38pm On Nov 22, 2013
This update is AWESOME
Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by Nobody: 2:40pm On Nov 22, 2013
Seriously, i don't understand, how is this piece of information useful to me??

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by priscaoge(f): 2:40pm On Nov 22, 2013
@Op what about [Tecno]android? Abi dem never join the race?? Lwkmd.............Nice threat!!!
Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by wEsOmE(m): 2:43pm On Nov 22, 2013
Abeg Ooooh.. Just a questıon frnds.. Apple fones do dey recıeve androıd apps ?
Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by amurx(m): 2:45pm On Nov 22, 2013
priscaoge: @Op what about [Tecno]android? Abi dem never join the race?? Lwkmd.............Nice threat!!!
Join the race of what?
Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by 9jahubcom(m): 2:48pm On Nov 22, 2013
waooo
Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by Clemzy16(m): 2:49pm On Nov 22, 2013
What about android honey-pot?

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by Venerable612(m): 2:50pm On Nov 22, 2013
it is well..#am stil usin my palasa#. 5.5 zigzag
Re: Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android by alcuin(m): 2:51pm On Nov 22, 2013
By the time they exhaust the naming convention from A to Z. Then, they will start over again with African food like

Android 10.1 Akara/Akpu
Android 10.2 Banga
Android 10.2.1 Chin-chin
Android 11.0 Dodo
Android 11.0.2 Egusi
Android 12.0 Friedfish
Android 12.1.1 Garri

etc.....

Add your own....

Android rules!

40 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Recover Any Bricked Android Device / Mtn Bis (blackberry Internet Service) Freeeee! / Tecno L5 Miscellaneous Specs, Features & Price In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.