Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,281 members, 7,807,944 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:18 PM

His Mckinsey Interview - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / His Mckinsey Interview (24681 Views)

Phds At Mckinsey (or other Consultancies) in Nigeria? / Mckinsey 2014 - 2015 Applications / Mckinsey First Round Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Nobody: 8:41am On Dec 10, 2013
Sagamite: I replied but e bi like say NL email dey fail.

I dey get mail demon error reply.
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Nobody: 2:30pm On Dec 10, 2013
Sagamite, I got your mail and have replied.

Been busy.

Thanks.
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Sagamite(m): 7:44am On Dec 11, 2013
And here are some of their salaries:

http://www.caseinterview.com/consulting-salary

1 Like

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by thecia(f): 4:30pm On Dec 12, 2013
Tried sending u a mail Sir Sagamite..
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Fuchsbau: 1:10pm On Dec 18, 2013
Sagamite: And here are some of their salaries:

http://www.caseinterview.com/consulting-salary

Hello,good day Sir,I would like to chat with you concerning this field-management consulting.I have sent an email message request to you.Thank you
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by nitrogen(m): 8:05pm On Dec 18, 2013
Sagamite, shey make I send you a mail too? This one that everyone is sending you PM, make e no pass me by o wink
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Sagamite(m): 10:05pm On Dec 18, 2013
nitrogen: Sagamite, shey make I send you a mail too? This one that everyone is sending you PM, make e no pass me by o wink

Lol.

I have actually got a few PMs since.
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Sagamite(m): 10:08pm On Dec 18, 2013
Fuchsbau:

Hello,good day Sir,I would like to chat with you concerning this field-management consulting.I have sent an email message request to you.Thank you

I actually saw it 2 days ago. To be frank, I normally don't respond to PMs from people without a long track record on NL but I will make an exception today.
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Sagamite(m): 8:48pm On Dec 21, 2013
One of the advantages of consulting is the rapid progression if you are in it, and the good exit options when you leave it.

When I say good exit options, that means when you decide to leave consulting and go to industry, if you were in any of the good brands, you are likely to be hired at a grade that is quite high in the company in industry you join. A grade that would have taken you more years of experience to get to if you were not coming from consulting.

It is normal for companies to regard every year of experience in consulting to be equal to 2 years experience of their high performing non-consulting-background staff member. In civil service, they might even compare it 1 to 4. So when you leave consulting, you are most likely going to find yourself hired at a grade where people have a minimum of double the years of your experience. Mine on average has been a ratio of 1 to 3+ but less than 4.

In terms of rapid progression within consulting:

Strategy
These tend to have a 5/6 grade structure, where you are expected to spend 2/3 years on each grade before you progress to the next grade. They have an "up or out" policy. If after 3 years in a grade, you have not qualified for promotion to the next, you get kicked out. Top strategy firms (the MBBs) release 1/3 of their staff every 3 years (lower strategy firms are a bit more relaxed). The ones that make partner make it between 8 to 13 years of being a graduate hire. The ratio of 'Partner* to Non-partner Consultants' is usually between 1:6 and 1:12. *For Mckinsey, I have included Directors as Partners.

1. McKinsey grades
- Business Analyst (those with only bachelors)
- Associate (MBA applicants)
- Engagement Manager
- Principal
- Partner
- Director (and Senior Director for the most senior ones)

2. BCG
- Associate (those with only bachelors)
- Consultant (MBA applicants)
- Project Leader
- Principal
- Partner

3. Bain
- Associate Consultant (those with only bachelors)
- Case Team Leader
- Manager
- Principal
- Partner

4. Roland Berger
- Junior Consultant (those with only bachelors)
- Senior Consultant (MBA applicants also)
- Project Manager
- Principal
- Partner

5. AT Kearney
- Business Analyst (those with only bachelors)
- Senior Business Analyst (those with only bachelors plus 2 years of top quality experience)
- Associate (MBA applicants)
- Manager
- Principal
- Partner

General Advisory/Full Service Advisory
These tend to have a 6/10 grade structure in their Management and Technology consulting arm. The 10 grade structure is normally in their IT consultancy arm. I will focus on only Management Consulting.

There is no 'up or out' policy. You usually spend a minimum of 2 years in a grade, but as you become more senior, you can spend far longer on a grade. Only in the junior grades do you rapidly progress until you reach the MBA entry grade. It is usually 2 years each for the first two grades, 3 years for the middle grade and then getting stuck, or 2-5 years on average, on the 2 grades before partner. These other consultancies need scale and there are many consultants that love their work but are not too keen on taking on the stress of higher level, so these consultancies are quite happy to have them. The ones that make partner make it between 10 to 20 years of being a graduate hire. The ratio of 'Partner to Non-partner Consultants' is usually between roughly 1:14 to 1:20.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Nobody: 10:19am On Dec 22, 2013
Saga baba, give me permission to publish this on my blog.
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Sagamite(m): 10:45am On Dec 22, 2013
Jarus: Saga baba, give me permission to publish this on my blog.

*As my danfo-conductor colleagues used to say during my area boy days at Ojuelegba*

Go on-sohn! (Go ahead). grin

3 Likes

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Nobody: 6:41pm On Dec 22, 2013
Saga baba,

Pls shoot me an email: jarushub@gmail.com
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Sagamite(m): 7:35pm On Dec 22, 2013
In terms of pay, my investigation sometime back showed the following pay differences (basic salaries) in the sector. I happened to get hold of some inside info and also used my research skills. These are UK and US figures, other regions might be fractions of this.

Note the partner level pay are rough estimates as that is the most secretive of their pay disclosures and I had to make logical assumptions and comparisons based on the few scraps of information I got from reliable sources.

E.g. I know that in the Big Accountancy 4 firms, Consulting and Tax staff earn more than the audit staff because their services command a premium in fees, hence I know the partners in these areas should earn above the reported average partner pay for these firms.

Strategy
MBB houses pay the highest in the long run amongst strategy firms. These are for the MBBs, other Strategy firms are likely to pay far less at more senior levels. Even maybe less than the top General Advisory and Full Service firms.

Entry level: between £35K - £52K

Pre-MBA second level (e.g. Mckinsey's Junior Associate = 3rd Year): between £53K - £60K

MBA entry level: between £70K - £85K

Engagement Manager/Project Leader/Case Team Leader (also Bain's Manager level): between £90K - £125K (Bain's Manager might go as far as £140K)

[Associate] Principal: between £130K - £170K

They pay anywhere between 10% to 50% in bonuses. The higher percentages at more senior grades.

These includes all bonuses:

Partner: between £300K - £700K

Director/Senior Partners: between £700K - £1.5m

Senior Director/Regional Partners/Power Partners: between £2m - £7m

General Advisory/Full Service Advisory
These 2 areas tend to pay at the same rate for their management consulting arms. they may pay lower than non-MBB strategy firms to start with, but if you make it to the top, you are likely to make more than people at the top of these strategy firms. There is more overlapping in pay as it really depends on your quality and negotiation powers.

First two grades (your starting 4 years): between £33K - £50K

MBA entry level: between £50K - £80K

Accenture's Manager/PWC's Senior Consultant/Capgemini's Managing Consultant/Deloitte's Senior Manager: between £65K - £100K

Accenture's Senior Manager/PWC's Director/Capgemini's Principal Consultant/Deloitte's Director: between £80K - £140K

PWC, Deloitte and other Accountancy management consultancies can also have a salaried-partner grade: £150K - £200K

They pay anywhere between 5% to 25% in bonuses. The higher percentages at more senior grades.

These includes all bonuses:

Partner: between £200K - £600K

Regional Partners/Senior Partners: between £700K - £1.2m

Power Partners - between £1.5m - £5m

Many non-MBB strategy firm's top players would struggle to get beyond the £600K pay mark.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Sagamite(m): 9:19pm On Dec 23, 2013
Jarus: Saga baba,

Pls shoot me an email: jarushub@gmail.com

I just saw this, mate.

Got lost in my pre-composition that followed.
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Sagamite(m): 9:35pm On Dec 23, 2013
x
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by goukayuu: 3:13am On Aug 09, 2014
Here's my 2 kobo:
Note they they dont expect you to answer all 26 questions in 90 mins. Its hard. HOWEVER they do expect you correctly answer the ones you DID answer. So if you managed to answer like 15 (this is not a hard number) correctly then...it will reflect better on you.

Do check www.quora.com and www.glassdoor.com (both require you to register for free with them to see their content). They are FANTASTIC at giving advice. You can actually ask people on quora questions that might help you (some McK folk might just be there to help you).
Good luck

1 Like 1 Share

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Eby20: 7:32am On Aug 03, 2016
Please I am Ebere, a recent graduate (just finished NYSC) of microbiology, I have applied to McKinsey, Bain and Company, BCG company but do not know why my application keeps receiving unsuccessful feedback from them. I have transformed my resume to result-oriented incorporating all their requirements but that doesn't work for me. Why?.. Is it that my work experiences do not fit their needs?... I need guide please... So one should help me.. I am a microbiologist but I have decided to divert my career plan towards consulting which I am not even giving up.... Please oo...

1 Like

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Eby20: 7:43am On Aug 03, 2016
I am Ebere, graduate of microbiology. I suspect that Roland Berger and AT Kearney do not have offices in Lagos State Nigeria. I contacted Roland Berger and I was told that they have no office in Lagos.
Please oo, someone should help me with basic information. My applications to Mckinsey, Bain and BCG have been unsuccessful. What is required from me?... I have transformed my resume to result oriented and even incorporated their basic requirements at the same time... None is working... Please help oo.... I will never give up on consulting...

1 Like

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by nitrogen(m): 7:16am On Aug 04, 2016
Eby20:
I am Ebere, graduate of microbiology. I suspect that Roland Berger and AT Kearney do not have offices in Lagos State Nigeria. I contacted Roland Berger and I was told that they have no office in Lagos.
Please oo, someone should help me with basic information. My applications to Mckinsey, Bain and BCG have been unsuccessful. What is required from me?... I have transformed my resume to result oriented and even incorporated their basic requirements at the same time... None is working... Please help oo.... I will never give up on consulting...

Have you tried big 4 consulting units?

Someone recently moved from PwC consulting to Bain, nice stuff, right?
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Nobody: 9:06pm On Aug 04, 2016
nitrogen:

That yoruba guy, with previous experience at Philip Consulting? He was NOT in deals right? wink

1 Like

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Eby20: 3:55pm On Sep 08, 2016
nitrogen:

Thanks so much dear...
But these Big 4 in Nigeria are only recruiting for audit graduate and not consulting.... I could have done that since if they are recruiting for consulting graduate trainee...
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by haibe(m): 4:20pm On Sep 08, 2016
Eby20:

Thanks so much dear...
But these Big 4 in Nigeria are only recruiting for audit graduate and not consulting.... I could have done that since if they are recruiting for consulting graduate trainee...

You are wong. Audit is just a part of their services , they are more or less a consultancy firm (even tho we like calling them audit firms). So pls try them out.
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by nitrogen(m): 10:04pm On Sep 09, 2016
Eby20:

Thanks so much dear...

Try KPMG, send unsolicited applications to these guys, however make sure you sell to them your brain/the untapped stuffs you have. Trust me, it works. Do same for EY, Pwc and Delloite.

Some IBs do advisory stuffs as well, you can target the top notch ones.

..... or betterstill, you could target strategy units in different industries (banking, fmcg, insurance), then transition to pure consulting later as mksey and co tend to recruit people with industry experience.
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Tumikate97(m): 10:00pm On Nov 02, 2016
Jarus:
when you gain confidence, you can even get to the extent of hijacking an interview. I recently had an interview where I was asking the interviewers whther they knew Messi. Trying to explain buy-out clause.

Big Brother!!!!

I'm relatively new on nairaland so I'm just getting to read this... Messi bawo?? I find this totally hilarious.

Well done, Sir.
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Livez: 12:08pm On Jun 08, 2017
NIGERIAN IMMIGRATION PAST QUESTIONS.
Don't wait until you are short listed before you start reading for your immigration interview. If you meet with all the criteria listed, it is most likely you will be shortlisted. Remember your reading cannot be complete without practising with past questions. You need to know how the questions are set. We have some of the past questions set in previous interviews in soft copy, if you are interested, whatsapp : 08035260233 for it. Practice makes perfect, start practising with past questions now.
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Safari29: 11:20pm On Jul 04, 2017
oh Lord see questions. pls guys how can an I.T person fits into this kinda firm?? Today I went to Mckersy in Ikoyi to deliver some VoIP equipments and lord have mercy I felt like working their already.
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by bzeey(m): 4:52pm On Jul 17, 2017
Safari29:
oh Lord see questions. pls guys how can an I.T person fits into this kinda firm?? Today I went to Mckersy in Ikoyi to deliver some VoIP equipments and lord have mercy I felt like working their already.

ororo no be crude oil...work oh! work oh!! The stages basically are Mckinsey PST + Case interview = working there!
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by AeroplaneApple: 7:23am On Dec 04, 2019
thecia:
Tried sending u a mail Sir ..
good morning
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by AeroplaneApple: 7:24am On Dec 04, 2019
Safari29:
eeya
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by eclint(m): 2:25pm On Jan 30, 2020
Money flying upandan. To enter na war.
Nawao

1 Like

Re: His Mckinsey Interview by Mosfemi: 4:38pm On Jan 11, 2021
Start freelancing on https://wecruite.com
Re: His Mckinsey Interview by zanchez: 10:50am On Jul 06, 2021
Hello everyone,
When does McKinsey Nigeria recruit Business Analysts (entry-level), please?
They currently have an opening for Junior Associates, which requires 2 years of work experience that I do not have.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

OANDO Staff Appeal For Support And Urgent Intervention In The Mass Sacking / Share Your Experience Working In A Loan Shark Company / Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Institution In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.