Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

Common Grammatical Tautologies - Education (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Grammatical Tautologies (50161 Views)

National Board For Technical Education Signpost With Public Grammatical Blunder / 10 Common Grammatical Errors We Must Avoid / Most Annoying Common Grammatical Errors In English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia: I'm in the mood to f*ck up someone logic today angry

Humans are typically mentally dull. Especially these days. Why do you think the only words usually quick to recall in a song is the chorus ? Repetition, Vivly, repetition.

Some bloke might think you said only 4 and ask whether its in the morning or afternoon.
Here we go

Redundant for emphasis undecided

Some minorities are larger than the others eg African-Americans, Hispanics

. . . so to avoid any possible misunderstanding we use the word 'personal' just to make sure.

Yeah ! Right after folks at MTN stop putting network after the acronym. The N in the brand already stands for network.

Some things are more true than the others eg all women have vaginas, or all women are sluts etc. Hence, the need for a phrase that doubly emphasizes the truth one forwards.

No, some experiences are past. All experiences were present. Many more experiences are possible in the future.

Stop thinking like you are in the 18th century, many adages eg 'Shine your eye', 'In doubt ask Google' etc crop up in recent times.

[size=18pt]I love you guy, You just made my day. She had me till I read your disproof[/size]. wink

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by odikomo1(m): 5:29pm On Oct 19, 2014
I want to appreciate the thread owner for this correction of english errors. Sometimes when you correct people. They will just call you 'oversabi' na u know book pass?.

These are few i've identified.
People say;

Nigeria is our own country(our and own mean possession in like terms so use one).

I saw a little baby(little and baby means same description of human size. So just say baby)

This test is like a tall mountain to climb(pls all mountains are tall so use one i.e mountain).

I donate this on behalf of me and my family(the word on behalf is used for things not fully available and the word family includes the donor. So no need to say on behalf me and my family;just say on behalf of my family. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by UyiIredia(m): 7:48pm On Oct 31, 2014
Abeg i! Make I hear word.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Vivly(f): 8:07pm On Oct 31, 2014
UyiIredia:
Abeg i! Make I hear word.
Uyi, you never forget this matter
Hope you'll come vote for me.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by UyiIredia(m): 8:15pm On Oct 31, 2014
Vivly:
Uyi, you never forget this matter
Hope you'll come vote for me.

Lol! Why I go forge? Luck is on your side. You re pretty. If I see no chic finer I will vote. But I am not guaranteeing o!
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by tranxo(m): 12:10pm On Nov 04, 2014
My good people, the voting for Miss Nairaland 2014 has started. This is Elimination Round 1 where 2 candidates will be dropped.

Kindly head to https://www.nairaland.com/1980633/miss-nairaland-deceemer-2014-contest and cast your votes for these 4 damsels;

maureensylvia
vivly
annypie
jennimma

Thanks and remember, vote for all 4 NOW.

Kindly share this post and invite your friends especially in your various threads. I know I can count on you all.

PS:
Cast all the 4 votes in one post i.e.

I vote for maureensylvia, vivly, annypie, jennimma.
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by Princesschi(f): 12:11pm On Nov 28, 2014
My school fees money
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by OKNkanu(m): 8:25am On Apr 06, 2015
How was your night??.....
Okay.... my night was dark dimwit... how else is my night supposed to be... Sunny??
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by encrypt(m): 6:04pm On Aug 29, 2017
Vivly:
8.Live recording. Damn. All recordings are live. Music and celebrity section please.

Not all recordings are LIVE..recordings can be of an event that happened awhile back..do you watch cable tv at all??

9.Safe haven. Literature gurus, Is there such thing as unsafe haven? Havens are by their definitions safe places.

10.First time ever. It's either your first time or it isn't. Decide!

11.General public. This is the most common. All those news being addressed to the general public, unless you're treating certain members of the public as special, all members of the public are general.

12.In one way or another. If it's not true in one way, then it's not freaking true. How can something be true in both ways?
I will get my money from you one way or another...i can get my money after breaking your legs or threatening to kill your cats in both scenarios you'd very well give me my money.

13.Exact same/ exactly the same. The word exact is redundant in this phrase
Are you sure?? This two cds are the same except for that smudge on this one however this other two are exactly the same.
Emphasis
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by highbee02: 11:25pm On Oct 29, 2019
DonaldGenes:

That is very rife my dear, Left to me, Nigerians are used to it so far it's understood within that context

I guess, the above is also applicable to this sentence " it's good to test your product before buying "
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by highbee02: 11:30pm On Oct 29, 2019
Vivly:
Well, some are used wrongly. Example is Buy your recharge card here. How can you buy what's yours

I think this also applicable to this sentence " It's good to test your product before buying "
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by PoliteActivist: 5:42am On May 18, 2020
Vivly:
Advance warning Most mods are guilty of this when warning defaulters.

Close proximity Those two words mean the same thing. Why use them together?

In my opinion, i think that This is only used by the insufferable know it all's

Safe bet All bets have an element of risk to them, thus no bet is safe. Instead, use safe option.

Joint collaboration It's either a collaboration or it's a joint effort. It can't be eba and fufu

New innovation Hey, there's a deactivation button o. It's a new innovation. Please, it's either you use new or innovation.

Add yours

COVID-19 virus
COVID-19 disease
Re: Common Grammatical Tautologies by lilvicky68(m): 7:15pm On Oct 20, 2021
Squat down.. as if squat up dey.. grin

All those funny soldiers for NYSC camp

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Check Out The Longest Equation Known To Man / Ugandan University Sacks Nafiu Lukman Abiodun For Sexual Harassment / Checkout How This Student 'Padded' Himself - Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.