Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,700 members, 7,802,083 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here (42513 Views)

Sellers And Buyers Should Boycott Dealdey!! They Exploit Sellers / WARRI - EFFURUN MARKET - [Where Beta Sellers And Buyers Dey Meet] / Scrab Metal Buyers Lets Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by kingagropro1: 12:51pm On Dec 06, 2013
pman06:

Does this means that manual farmer can make a return of say, 30tons using this varieties? Cos if you ask me, a 25ton return is quite huge and reasonable. So are you in IB now, would appreciate meeting up with you if possible.

TME 419 specie can give you 30tons /ha.
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by stagger: 1:10pm On Dec 06, 2013
kingagropro1:

TME 419 specie can give you 30tons /ha.

Very correct. And it is also resistant to the very aggressive Ugandan variant of the cassava mosiac virus. In fact, no Nigerian cassava farmer should ignore the TME 419 variety.
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by stagger: 1:15pm On Dec 06, 2013
I think that in order for cassava farmers to move forward with mechanization, forming cooperatives is the way forward. You can hardly receive loans or grants as an individual farmer, unless you are an OBJ or the Yar'Adua. Even Dangote is into farming. I know he has in excess of 5,000 hectares of pineapples planted that serves as feed stock for his Dansa pineapple product.

By the way, do we know that OBJ Farms is among the top 4 cassava starch producers in Nigeria?
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by saliubello(m): 1:30pm On Dec 06, 2013
Maybe I spoil your market. Cassava farmers beware of lofty calculations. I know a town about 25minutes drive from Abeokuta. Their main produce is cassava, and I know how the yields & prices flunctuates. I know 2 companies in Ogun state, one extracts ethanol (AGBARA-IGBESA) while the other is a vendor company (OSOSA) to Flour Mills of Nigeria. The 3rd company makes glucose but its wound-up now. If you are close to any of this locations, go for it. My advice watch out for internet based consultants with no fields,they can be misleading.
stagger:

You just landed and don't know the context in which I was talking. The person to whom it was directed did. So just waka pass.
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by pman06(m): 1:57pm On Dec 06, 2013
saliubello: Maybe I spoil your market. Cassava farmers beware of lofty calculations. I know a town about 25minutes drive from Abeokuta. Their main produce is cassava, and I know how the yields & prices flunctuates. I know 2 companies in Ogun state, one extracts ethanol (AGBARA-IGBESA) while the other is a vendor company (OSOSA) to Flour Mills of Nigeria. The 3rd company makes glucose but its wound-up now. If you are close to any of this locations, go for it. My advice watch out for internet based consultants with no fields,they can be misleading.

Thanks a bunch. What is the name of the ethanol company my brother? And the glucose company, is it the one at ibafo?
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by stagger: 2:03pm On Dec 06, 2013
saliubello: Maybe I spoil your market. Cassava farmers beware of lofty calculations. I know a town about 25minutes drive from Abeokuta. Their main produce is cassava, and I know how the yields & prices flunctuates. I know 2 companies in Ogun state, one extracts ethanol (AGBARA-IGBESA) while the other is a vendor company (OSOSA) to Flour Mills of Nigeria. The 3rd company makes glucose but its wound-up now. If you are close to any of this locations, go for it. My advice watch out for internet based consultants with no fields,they can be misleading.

No one's market is spoilt. I will give you some facts.

a) The price of gari is used as a gauge of availability and pricing of cassava. Prices of gari and cassava in Nigeria have a cyclical rhythm, being highest in the months from December to May, and prices tending to fall as from June to November. When prices are high, farmers increase production, which invariably leads to a glut in the market and a fall in prices. The easier harvesting in the rainy season when the soil is wet adds to the price drop in the rainy season. When prices fall, farmers will simply leave the tubers in the ground, and then a time comes when the demand outstrips supply, leading to higher prices.

b) 80% of cassava production in Nigeria is in the hands of subsistence farmers. This makes it very difficult for large companies to assemble enough cassava to process within the 72-hour window between harvest and decay of tubers.

c) There are several dynamics that make it impossible for those who process cassava into starch and glucose to beat countries like Thailand in the international market. The cost of production is so high that by the time products like ethanol, starch and glucose syrup leave Nigeria, the selling cost is way above the international market price.

I will end this by attaching a study on On-farm Production Costs of Ethanol done by 2 Nigerian scientists. That will help you explain why the factory you mentioned had to close its doors. No LARGE-SCALE processing plant will breakeven buying cassava from farmers (as opposed to cultivating their farms).

This is why mechanization is important. The biggest issue in the cassava market in Nigeria is having to reverse the ratio of cassava farming methods in favour of mechanized farming. It is key!

Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by kingagropro1: 3:04pm On Dec 06, 2013
stagger:

Very correct. And it is also resistant to the very aggressive Ugandan variant of the cassava mosiac virus. In fact, no Nigerian cassava farmer should ignore the TME 419 variety.

Thank you Stagger. Well said.

Lest i forget, this might be useful to someone here. I am an Agro Produce & Solid Mineral Export Trainer & Consultant. This is one of my training videos for sale. It can be learnt, can be given as a gift for empowerment to family, friends etc.

Its a PowerPoint Training DVD that would take you through the nitty-gritty of Ofada Rice business; from knowing where to buy ofada rice in commercial quantity, to knowing how to fix your selling price, to knowledge relating to packaging your products.

I wish to also let you know that i have not just put this material together from the theoritical perspective, its from experiential knowledge as we also have a brand of Ofada Rice (Adun Ofada Rice) in the market, so its best to learn from the right teacher.

These are the following topics this video exposes you to:

1. What is Ofada Rice
2. What are the benefits of Ofada Rice
3. Other local Rice different from Ofada Rice in Nigeria
4. The Differences between Ofada Rice and other local rice species
5. Where to source for Ofada Rice in commercial quantity
6. What is the measurement of a sales drum ‘Garawa’ of Ofada Rice
7. The secrets the Ofada Rice sellers would never share with you
8. Cleaning and destoning of Ofada Rice off dirts and impurities
9. Eliminating rodents and ants in Ofada Rice
10. Setting sales Price for your Ofada Rice
11. Packaging of Ofada Rice; 500g, 1kg Packs etc
12. Importance of batching your Ofada Rice packaging
13. Market potentials of Ofada Rice in Nigeria
14. How to handle the existing competition of Ofada Rice business in the market
15. International market potentials of Ofada Rice

You can be rest assured that this material would get you in this business conveniently and help you ensure you dont lose your money. Remember every business has its trade secrets, i have exposed this, so i can make life a lot easier for you.

It costs N3,000.00 only.

You may also buy online or see our other training products via http://www.knowledgegalleria.com/?page_id=143 using your Mastercard or Visa Cards and delivery will be made to you are your location. Deliveries within Lagos attracts extra N500.00, other states N1,000.00

For further purchase information contact us on knowledgegalleria@gmail.com

Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by vince01: 7:49pm On Dec 06, 2013
pman06:

First thing first, you need a land. Contact your state ministry of agriculture if there are farm settlements in the state where land can be lease for farming. Them have atleast 100k at hand. When you cross that stage, you can come back here, so we can rub minds together.
l have 2hectares already and some amount of money, d question is how can one know a good cassava stem to b used? Thanks
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by stagger: 8:11pm On Dec 06, 2013
vince01: l have 2hectares already and some amount of money, d question is how can one know a good cassava stem to b used? Thanks

Contact IITA Ibadan. They will sort you out.
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by pman06(m): 8:14pm On Dec 06, 2013
stagger:

Contact IITA Ibadan. They will sort you out.

Exactly. You can call them, and ask to talk to the cassava department, they will handle your complaints or requests. Just ask them about their improved variety.
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by pman06(m): 8:17pm On Dec 06, 2013
kingagropro1:

Please correct me, am i assuming you want to harvest your cassava after 4 months? Oct 2013-Jan 2014 you mean?

No bro, its last year october.
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by saliubello(m): 10:09pm On Dec 06, 2013
Excellent. I think our friends are learning. Agribusiness without honesty and a/countability is non sense. I have seen large investments in agriculture go down the drain because of lack of proper information and accountability. So you under stand my position. I disagree with you that it is not sustainable to buy cassava from farmers and process. The problems are Sweet talking, fraud intent consultants who lead you to start but run when the loop holes are blocked. The closed down glucose firm was at Adigbe in Abeokuta. If you have large amounts of cassava, i think there is some one offering to buy in the forum. Honestly, you cant bypass the middlemen. I used to be close to some of them,thats why i know. I am a large scale farmer but farm implements are my challenges at the moment.(tractor)
stager:

No one's market is spoilt. I will give you some facts.

a) The price of gari is used as a gauge of availability and pricing of cassava. Prices of gari and cassava in Nigeria have a cyclical rhythm, being highest in the months from December to May, and prices tending to fall as from June to November. When prices are high, farmers increase production, which invariably leads to a glut in the market and a fall in prices. The easier harvesting in the rainy season when the soil is wet adds to the price drop in the rainy season. When prices fall, farmers will simply leave the tubers in the ground, and then a time comes when the demand outstrips supply, leading to higher prices.

b) 80% of cassava production in Nigeria is in the hands of subsistence farmers. This makes it very difficult for large companies to assemble enough cassava to process within the 72-hour window between harvest and decay of tubers.

c) There are several dynamics that make it impossible for those who process cassava into starch and glucose to beat countries like Thailand in the international market. The cost of production is so high that by the time products like ethanol, starch and glucose syrup leave Nigeria, the selling cost is way above the international market price.

I will end this by attaching a study on On-farm Production Costs of Ethanol done by 2 Nigerian scientists. That will help you explain why the factory you mentioned had to close its doors. No LARGE-SCALE processing plant will breakeven buying cassava from farmers (as opposed to cultivating their farms).

This is why mechanization is important. The biggest issue in the cassava market in Nigeria is having to reverse the ratio of cassava farming methods in favour of mechanized farming. It is key!

1 Like

Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by Okonkwosamuel(m): 5:11am On Dec 07, 2013
E-Jaja:
@pman06 I totally agree with you on the price drop, but as u said shopiing around for the right price is the best. I thing ur best bet would be nigeria starch mill, as the buy at farm gate and handle the transportation them self. I also heard there are two other companies in lagos that pay 25k per ton but still can't get hold of their names.
The 20k ur mentione is that including or excluding transportation cost.
As for able to make go profit in cassave farming I thinks is to Identify who ur casssava is ment for, by so doing u have a buyer even before havest and an agreed price. Secondly try as much as to ensure you follow atandard agronomic practices by so doing you should be able to attain an average of 25 ton per hectare. HaTty farmer get as much as 30 to 50 ton per hectare.so in a situation were u are able to produce more per hectare that's to ur. Own good as u tend to make.

I would like to ask how many hectares do you have abd were is ur farm located, and finally what was ur cost of growing Per hectare.!!!!
Hope to hear from u soon.
please will liketo discuss with you in person. thanks
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by EJaja(m): 7:39am On Dec 07, 2013
@okonkwo samuel, meeting me on a one on one basis is no problem, drop me an email iyerifama@yahoo.com and we would take it from their
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by EJaja(m): 8:36am On Dec 07, 2013
soladel: Cultivating Cassava commercially is not just what you can get information through browsing, orally or through a medium like this, you need to be close to the expert. Even if you read a manual, farming sometimes don't go the way one plans it.
Cassava is a crop is perishable and post harvest is very costly.
Now, Industries that needed it are many but few of them are ready to bear the cost of transportation and other logistics.
I am on a project In IITA Ibadan called Cassava Value chain, where we try to inform the farmer what to do and steps to take to make money from cassava cultivation.
Different things has to be considered, 1. the land, 2. the material to plant, 3. weed control, 4. time of planting, 5. Spacing of planting, 6. Marketing of the product, etc.
I can tell you guys, all things being equal, one can get up to 50-60 tons per Ha. I got that in Shonga, Kwara state with Mr. Graham Hatty, i still have my farm there, i have close to 60 Ha now, ready for harvesting by next year april.
Another thing is that, we need to change from our normal agriculture practice (manual) to fully mechanised farming from land preparation, planting, weed control, harvesting and post harvesting. In this we can make enough money in selling the product to those who need them here in nigeria not to talk of abroad. you can get me on adelekesola@gmail.com. Thanks.
I forget to mention, the specie of cassava also determine your output, I have many specie on the farm courtesy IITA, Tme 98/0581, Tme 419, Tme 289, Tme 2324 etc.

It would be nice if you can share ur findings and recomadations on here, I would also like to contact you for. Some other things. Iyerifama@yahoo.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by Okonkwosamuel(m): 2:39pm On Dec 08, 2013
E-Jaja:
@okonkwo samuel, meeting me on a one on one basis is no problem, drop me an email iyerifama@yahoo.com and we would take it from their
ok no prob. my email address is sammydee_ng_2020@yahoo.com. i will definitely mail you. thanks
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by soladel(m): 10:05am On Dec 08, 2014
pman06:

Does this means that manual farmer can make a return of say, 30tons using this varieties? Cos if you ask me, a 25ton return is quite huge and reasonable. So are you in IB now, would appreciate meeting up with you if possible.
You will be welcome. call me on 08033540233.
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:27pm On Jan 03, 2015
When will cassava farmers be resuming their break on this thread.
i hope they do so soon.

Check my articles on the agric section to see more on how to start agribusiness..

Do agric..Make more money
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:41pm On Jan 06, 2015
Where did cassava sellers and cassava buyers go to
come and finish what you have started on nairaland thread

1 Like

Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by pman06(m): 6:53pm On Jan 13, 2015
The thread was affected by the Ddos attack some months back. Its gud to have you on this thread lesgupnigeria. I will post some cassava buying companies I know of in my quest of selling my cassava in due time.
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by oboks: 9:52pm On Feb 01, 2015
Equipped bread bakery for lease at igbo-elerin, okokomaiko, lagos. Contact-08139321081.
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by manlawal(m): 12:11am On Feb 03, 2015
hi people
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by nawebco(m): 9:17pm On Mar 03, 2015
Good day everyone,
i have about 4 acres of fresh cassava to sell around ota in ogun state. if you are interested in buying, reply this message or call 08033876280.
thanks
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by hebronconcept: 6:58am On Mar 04, 2015
DISCOVER HOW TO BE PART OF NIGERIA’S LUCRATIVE MULTIMILLION, IF NOT MULTIBILLION AGRO BUSINESS
Do you know that over #60billion is spent on party monthly in Lagos State?
The essential elements in party business are food and drinks
Lets take them one by one
FOOD: Our party is not complete without food, be it birthday parties, naming ceremony, wedding etc, people come from near and far, the only way you can sure hospitality is to give them food, in Africa, particularly Nigeria, we entertain our visitors with food, palm wine, bitterkola, kolanut etc depending on the tribe.
A good example is Benue state, if you have been to benue state, on your arrival before you say a word of your purpose of visit, you are served with food, while saying your purpose of coming, round 2 is ready, while concluding your purpose of coming, round 3 is served, when you are going round 4 is ready etc, no wonder the state is called the FOOD BASKET of the NATION
If you are thinking of what business to invest in and smile to bank, then think of agro trading and food processing
for full details visit www.agrosupplyriches..com
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by Rexyl(m): 1:20pm On Mar 04, 2015
stagger:

Reliable sources of large quantity of Tme 419 stem cuttings in Oyo State?
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by ONETIMESMS: 6:47am On Mar 11, 2015
GOOD day nairalanders,
i have acres of farmland of cassava to sell, can anyone put me through on how to get buyers. you can reply this or call 08187256312

thanks
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by opiraxy(m): 9:59am On Aug 09, 2015
I came across this old post dated Nov 2013 about cassava production and I am interested in going into cultivation . Pls share with me the current trend and how to go about this...hoping to start with 10 acres
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by Nobody: 4:36pm On Aug 21, 2015
nawebco:
Good day everyone,
i have about 4 acres of fresh cassava to sell around ota in ogun state. if you are interested in buying, reply this message or call 08033876280.
thanks
Do you still have the cassava?
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by fummylolah: 2:55pm On Sep 01, 2015
Goodday, Am a new small scale farmer.
i want to know the best specie of cassava to farm for the production of fufu and garri. also i would like to know anyone willing to sell cassava stem of the specie for me (would start planting in 3 days). location of farmland is Mowe/ibafo/ ofada. quantity should be enough for one and half acres of land.

also where can i get seeds for Ewedu for plantation and other vegetable seeds.

please treat has urgent

thank you.
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by scheminup(m): 10:43am On Apr 30, 2016
I would love to ask a question about ethanol, any expert here?
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by hotmas911(m): 2:44pm On May 19, 2016
It is interesting coming across this wonderful thread.Kudos to the op and everyone that has contributed thus far.

A joint venture on cassava is kick starting in Ogbomosho this june. You can also be part of it.
Re: Cassava Sellers And Buyers, Lets Meet Here by soladel(m): 11:11pm On May 19, 2016
Congratulations to all the cassava farmer and intending, I wish you this because, cassava has turn to Gold. I have received several emails, text, calls on how to go about cassava production and marketing. I will look forward to help anybody who needs it. Welcome to your year of bumper harvest. Do you know Garri is N250 per Congo, Odourless fufu is N280k per ton and Flour also has gone up. Be a cassava farmer today and no regret.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Company, Ketron, Acquires Shoprite Stores / Chief Obinna Iyiegbu Surprises His Staff With Brand New Lexus SUV / Ayiri Emami’s 40th Birthday Celebration (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.