Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:49 AM

Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary (16719 Views)

Longest Married Couple In Britain 'never Argue' / Connecticut Couple Honored As 'longest Married' In U.S. / The Longest Married Couple In The World Gives Relationship Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by infonubia(m): 3:21am On Nov 25, 2013
[img]http://2.bp..com/-GEh3EDZXsjU/UpKUeHtveiI/AAAAAAAADM4/_kQsWIdsH_8/s640/john-ann-betar.jpg[/img]

Meet John and Ann Betar. They are celebrating their 81st wedding anniversary today! They are the longest married couple in America and I would imagine that not a lot of couples around the world can beat their record.

Their advice on how they have stayed together for so long - just roll with the punches.

“If you think a little bit about what you’re doing, and if it’s wrong… we straighten it out, and if not we just try to go along with it,” said Ann Betar, 97, who is married to 101-year-old John Betar.

The Betars eloped on Nov. 25, 1932, after leaving to avoid Ann’s father’s plans to have her marry a man 20 years her senior. Ann was 17 and John was 21 at the time.

Now eight decades later, the couple lives in Fairfield, Connecticut, and has five children, 14 grandchildren and 16 great-grandchildren.

"Well, marriage isn't a lovey-dovey thing for 80 years. You learn to accept one another's ways of life, agreements, disagreements -- disagreements on our children, preparation on bringing up your kids,” Ann Betar said. “That was the main interest… was your children.”

Wow....this is a testimony to the fact that marriage works. You can make your marriage work. No one is perfect. It's those beautiful imperfections that make life interesting and worth living.

Congratulations to the Betars!

http://www.infonubia.com/2013/11/longest-married-couple-in-us-celebrates.html

16 Likes

Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by Techwriter: 3:32am On Nov 25, 2013
Obviously they lived when US still had regard for God, when homosexuality was frowned at and people respected the sanctity of marriage. Now everything is upside down in trying to be wise they became foolish by rejecting the God of their fathers and removed God from their schools. The US is gradually becoming history, heavily immersed in debt and clamoring for recognition they went ahead to sign a peace agreement with Iran against Israel wish yesterday. This may be the last of America being the superpower, don't dare Israel, what is behind them is more than human

25 Likes

Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by Sam32(m): 3:59am On Nov 25, 2013
81 yrs dats alone symbolizes perseverance. U cant assume dose yrs were rossy-dovy all through

Lesson for d 21st century couples!

2 Likes

Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by Gwekzy: 4:09am On Nov 25, 2013
Isn't that America where divorce is as common as power failure in naija??

4 Likes

Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by infonubia(m): 4:41am On Nov 25, 2013
Techwriter: Obviously they lived when US still had regard for God, when homosexuality was frowned at and people respected the sanctity of marriage. Now everything is upside down in trying to be wise they became foolish by rejecting the God of their fathers and removed God from their schools. The US is gradually becoming history, heavily immersed in debt and clamoring for recognition they went ahead to sign a peace agreement with Iran against Israel wish yesterday. This may be the last of America being the superpower, don't dare Israel, what is behind them is more than human
Are you saying none in this generations will ever boast of such?
Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by infonubia(m): 4:42am On Nov 25, 2013
Gwekzy: Isn't that America where divorce is as common as power failure in naija??
Divorce is common everywhere. It's not just in America.

3 Likes

Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by Nobody: 5:12am On Nov 25, 2013
Techwriter: Obviously they lived when US still had regard for God, when homosexuality was frowned at and people respected the sanctity of marriage. Now everything is upside down in trying to be wise they became foolish by rejecting the God of their fathers and removed God from their schools. The US is gradually becoming history, heavily immersed in debt and clamoring for recognition they went ahead to sign a peace agreement with Iran against Israel wish yesterday. This may be the last of America being the superpower, don't dare Israel, what is behind them is more than human

Smh. To congratulate people don hard.

3 Likes

Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by Nobody: 5:18am On Nov 25, 2013
"Well, marriage isn't a lovey-dovey thing for 80 years. You learn to accept one another's ways of life, agreements, disagreements".

That's the take-away I got from their little statement. It's worked for them, and I see it working in my parents' marriage. Hopefully, it's something I remember if/when I'm married.

Congrats to them! It's nice to hear about successful marriages. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by Nobody: 5:20am On Nov 25, 2013
Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by infonubia(m): 8:24pm On Nov 25, 2013
ogugua88:

Smh. To congratulate people don hard.

Na so I see am

1 Like

Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by adconline(m): 5:42am On Nov 26, 2013
Prophet of doom, wake me up when 666 powers Naija to 24hr electricity
Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by infonubia(m): 2:14pm On Nov 26, 2013
adconline:
Prophet of doom, wake me up when 666 powers Naija to 24hr electricity
Some serious but funny post. I'd agree that the comment was too bashful on America and he went off tangent.

1 Like

Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by omonla555: 3:04pm On Nov 26, 2013
who says they are the longest?
Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by kulootempa: 3:09pm On Nov 26, 2013
i admire them, may God help me to see my children children in Jesus name, AMEN. If u share thesame prayer with me click Like

48 Likes

Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by Nobody: 3:21pm On Nov 26, 2013
ogugua88: "Well, marriage isn't a lovey-dovey thing for 80 years. You learn to accept one another's ways of life, agreements, disagreements".

That's the take-away I got from their little statement. It's worked for them, and I see it working in my parents' marriage. Hopefully, it's something I remember if/when I'm married.

Congrats to them! It's nice to hear about successful marriages. cheesy

Hmmm...
Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by pharmow: 3:22pm On Nov 26, 2013
First of all congrats to them. It is not easy to attain that feat.
Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by infonubia(m): 3:23pm On Nov 26, 2013
omonla555: who says they are the longest?
Do you know of a longer record? Well, the article states that they are the longest in the U.S. I don't think there are lots of marriages that can top that. And that is mostly because one spouse might have died before they get to that point.

2 Likes

Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by Pattey(m): 3:23pm On Nov 26, 2013

You were making sense @ d beginning & I was going to 'like' the post. . . Only to finish the post on a rather thoughtless note *smh*. . .

4 Likes

Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by ogechi100: 3:23pm On Nov 26, 2013
U av gat 2 b kidding me hahaha
Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by sureteeboy(m): 3:27pm On Nov 26, 2013
ogugua88: .
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by alaladakosta(f): 3:34pm On Nov 26, 2013
[quote author=Techwriter]Obviously they lived when US still had regard for God, when homosexuality was frowned at and people respected the sanctity of marriage. Now everything is upside down in trying to be wise they became foolish by rejecting the God of their fathers and removed God from their schools. The US is gradually becoming history, heavily immersed in debt and clamoring for recognition they went ahead to sign a peace agreement with Iran against Israel wish yesterday. This may be the last of America being the superpower, don't dare Israel, what is behind them is more than human[/quote

Longest marriage, usa, iran, isreal. bro, congratulations to them will do.

2 Likes

Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by Ugom38(f): 3:35pm On Nov 26, 2013
so happy for them
Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by petreli08: 3:37pm On Nov 26, 2013
So captivating....epitome of true love

1 Like

Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by Localamos(m): 3:40pm On Nov 26, 2013

The mood behind your comment is way off this thread.

You should Have made comments of love, patience, perseverance, long life and the likes.

@op, thanks for such a beautiful story.

1 Like

Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by Nobody: 3:45pm On Nov 26, 2013

So beautiful. I'm hoping to find such kind of love someday...
Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by Nobody: 3:47pm On Nov 26, 2013
_

Now repeat after me: I and the 8 people that liked this post are ginormous tools.

1 Like

Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by Localamos(m): 3:48pm On Nov 26, 2013
pharmow: First of all congrats to them. It is not easy to attain that feat.

It's not a feat mhen! It's not as if they planned to set a record or something. They simply love each other and God did the rest.
Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by Nikapetrelli(f): 3:48pm On Nov 26, 2013
Datz gud
Re: Longest Married Couple Celebrates 81st Anniversary by xyuche: 3:51pm On Nov 26, 2013
I pray for God to keep them together till 100 yrs anniversary

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Have Sex When The Kids Are Home / Remote Village In Nigeria Where Ladies Dance Unclad 20+ / Please Why Do I Hate A Girl After Sex?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.