Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,207 members, 7,780,369 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:10 PM

Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% - Autos (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% (16030 Views)

New Tariff On Importation of Tokunbo Cars Postponed??? / Buy And Sell Imported Cars To AFRICA / New Age Limit For Imported Cars Into Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Emytexboy(m): 3:50pm On Nov 25, 2013
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by deor03(m): 3:59pm On Nov 25, 2013
otokx:

South Africa has over 50000 mega watts of power, lets stop deceiving ourselves in this country. Nigeria does not have up to 5000 mega watts of power, no road, so how then will car assembly lines start up?

who told you that power issues will not be fixed by the plant owners ? what do you need good roads for in running an assembly plant

Dangote has the biggest cement plant in Africa, Is he not sorting his power needs?
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Emytexboy(m): 4:01pm On Nov 25, 2013
[quote author=Aigbofa]

Isn't that what they said about the textiles, rice, vegetable oil, leather and shoes? And numerous other products?
By the way, don't you need stable electricity to run any type of manufacturing plants?
Don't you need good roads to move your goods? Put all these things in place and investors will come. You don't need to strangulate the poor in your society in a futile hope that they will just start buying new cars.
If they could afford new cars, there wouldn't be a market for us
for your mind now is that the poor ppl are the one buying car(s)undecided
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 25, 2013
Flyboy Zee:
In th East, where most of the brand new cars we buy come from, poor people don't buy cars. Even in the west, where we say they are developed, the poor don't buy cars. For emphasis sake, mention any country in the world where poor people buy cars, even the rickety 10-20 years old cars that are not luxury to you, mon ami.

Your rants and rattles only points to one fact. Things are economically getting better in Nigeria.

Your definition of poor may be different from mine. That is ok. It is probably due to your limited world view. The only part of Nigeria that is actually growing is not under GEJ's party anyway. Nothing to gloat about.
The teachers and nurses and regular folks who save up to buy ten year old cars are not rich people by my standard.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by FlyboyZee: 4:03pm On Nov 25, 2013
otokx:

South Africa has over 50000 mega watts of power, lets stop deceiving ourselves in this country. Nigeria does not have up to 5000 mega watts of power, no road, so how then will car assembly lines start up?

South Africans hate Nigerians like hell, yet Toyota cars sold in the Nigerian market are assembled in South Africa?
1. Whats the population of SA and how many people buy these brand new cars in SA?
2. How many tokunbo cars are imported into SA?
3. Where do most Toyotas assembled in SA end up?
4. Whats the price difference between the Brand new Toyotas sold in Nigeria and that sold in SA?
5. What accounts for this price difference?

If you can apply this to all other car brands bought brand new in Nigeria and produce the answers to these questions, you would understand where the Government is heading towards. Mind you that bad roads has not in any one way affected the importation of used and new vehicles, yet Nigerians are saying it would affect the local assembly/production of vehicles. What an irony?
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Dee60: 4:06pm On Nov 25, 2013
djon78: And people will say Goodluck is clueless, this is an excellent move. When I returned to Nigeria I wept at the number of SUV on Nigerian roads, I factored in the colossal amount Nigeria loses to these cars, I suggested that govt should impose high tariff on them in some countries I have been in they impose up to 150 percent. So I say it is a very good move by GEJ and Okonjo Iweala. And this will encourage local production and job opportunities, once again, nice move.

You possibly should have wondered why the refineries are not working and why we keep importing fuel! Our FG argued for many years that they will not be able to police our borders and hence the need to keep increasing fuel prices to discourage diversion to Cotonou and others. The more they increased the more our NAIRA lost value. Now they will pay Naira 2 trillion in subsidies to marketers at the end of Year 2013.

Good that you returned. Please do not be fooled. The smuggling cartel are toasting and rejoicing at this new policy. Increasing duty has never been an incentive to local production. You should go to the local markets like Apongbon to see how many so called banned goods are freely sold in the market and how many of those banned items are consumed in government houses around the country.

This policy is likely going to seriously impoverish the common Nigerian. Shine your eye!

There are some local assemblies as we speak. How many of their products has FG bought? Do they not prefer to buy 1 unit of imported BMW at USD800,000?

When a similar step was made on gen sets, some people reasoned the way you just did. Today, how many factories of gen sets do you have in Nigeria?

The duty on wheat went up to force Nigerians to eat cassava bread. How many of that bread do you have on the street?

This looks more like shallow thinking. There is nothing excellent in it. If you really want to promote local production, you will carve policies to encourage that production. Give them tax waivers. Let duty free regimes work. That is what they do in other places.

2 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by IleIfe2(m): 4:08pm On Nov 25, 2013
Build the assembly plant first before you increase import tariffs. This is just a partisan attempt at money making and it will definitely die with Jonathan's administration in about 500 days time.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Nobody: 4:09pm On Nov 25, 2013
Dee60:

You possibly should have wondered why the refineries are not working and why we keep importing fuel! Our FG argued for many years that they will not be able to police our borders and hence the need to keep increasing fuel prices to discourage diversion to Cotonou and others. The more they increased the more our NAIRA lost value. Now they will pay Naira 2 trillion in subsidies to marketers at the end of Year 2013.

Good that you returned. Please do not be fooled. The smuggling cartel are toasting and rejoicing at this new policy. Increasing duty has never been an incentive to local production. You should go to the local markets like Apongbon to see how many so called banned goods are freely sold in the market and how many of those banned items are consumed in government houses around the country.

This policy is likely going to seriously impoverish the common Nigerian. Shine your eye!

Come back next year and watch these same people make a ninety degree turn.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by proftaiwo: 4:11pm On Nov 25, 2013
The syndrome affecting the federal government also affect the patriotic citizens of this country. How on earth does increasing tariffs of auto makes a meaning whereas we lack basic infrastructure. May God bless us with wisdom to reason with good sense of humour.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by FlyboyZee: 4:13pm On Nov 25, 2013
Aigbofa:

Your definition of poor may be different from mine. That is ok. It is probably due to your limited world view. The only part of Nigeria that is actually growing is not under GEJ's party anyway. Nothing to gloat about.

Well! well!! well!!!
Even Gov. Fashola (your APC flagship) postulated that buying car is a luxury. It was very contentiius in the media this year. I wonder where you were then sha?
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Emytexboy(m): 4:15pm On Nov 25, 2013
sicily4u:

i think you are benefiting from this bad government, one way or the other, becos u sound so so stup1d
gringringrin all the same tongue
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by ollyruffy: 4:18pm On Nov 25, 2013
Fresh Air indeed. Nigerians should enjoy their fresh air. From fuel subsidy removal, to senseless change of number plates to increase in import duty on vehicles to. ..... You better vote this Jaunadice and his vampire party out of power in 2015. Otherwise....
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by AZeD1(m): 4:18pm On Nov 25, 2013
Flyboy Zee:
In th East, where most of the brand new cars we buy come from, poor people don't buy cars. Even in the west, where we say they are developed, the poor don't buy cars. For emphasis sake, mention any country in the world where poor people buy cars, even the rickety 10-20 years old cars that are not luxury to you, mon ami.

Your rants and rattles only points to one fact. Things are economically getting better in Nigeria.
Poor people don't buy cars because they have good transportation networks. Can you say the same thing about Nigeria?
This is one idea that is good in theory but in practice, not so good.

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Nobody: 4:19pm On Nov 25, 2013
deor03:

who told you that power issues will not be fixed by the plant owners ? what do you need good roads for in running an assembly plant

Dangote has the biggest cement plant in Africa, Is he not sorting his power needs?

and how much does his cement cost?

the energy situation in nigeria means that the likes of dangote spend insane amounts on energy which they throw right back to us

the absence of just about any industry means every part of those vehicles will be imported, not fabricated

most of the locally coupled generators are poorly assembled - so we will have more of the same for cars

of course some people [probably govt cronies] will make a killing

all that is happening is that the number of have nots will increase and the gap between the haves and have nots will widen

and of course, you can expect that there will be import waivers for our biggest consumers - the presidency, fec, governors and senate]

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by lilkech(m): 4:21pm On Nov 25, 2013
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Thomsbuky(m): 4:22pm On Nov 25, 2013
djon78: And people will say Goodluck is clueless, this is an excellent move. When I returned to Nigeria I wept at the number of SUV on Nigerian roads, I factored in the colossal amount Nigeria loses to these cars, I suggested that govt should impose high tariff on them in some countries I have been in they impose up to 150 percent. So I say it is a very good move by GEJ and Okonjo Iweala. And this will encourage local production and job opportunities, once again, nice move.

I disagree with your thought that you return to Nigeria and find a lot of SUV on roads. Meaning what? Which countries impose 150% tariff?, where in Africa, Europe or America?. The only duty impose on suv in Europe and America are green tax and emission tax as Suv vehicle gassed a lot of petrol and a lot more co2 than average normal car, that was believe to be harmful to the environment. Do you know why people used suv cars in Nigeria? In my own case due to safety, agile and Nigerian pot holes. I used car, was nearly crush me to dead due to bad roads. However, buying suv jeep is one of the smarts move that I make. The Obansanjo regime did same policies what happen? The neighbourhood countries like Cotonou, smugglers and Nigerian customs were the sole beneficiaries as Nigerians start using alternative cheaper port to bring vehicle into the Country. I am not against increase in car import tariff, to help home car assemblers that will create more jobs, However, I think the federal government should give Nigerian citizen alternative, like good roads, more public transport , public Buses, Rail transport to take us safely from A-B. my take...

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by FlyboyZee: 4:26pm On Nov 25, 2013
Aigbofa:
The teachers and nurses and regular folks who save up to buy ten year old cars are not rich people by my standard.

These group of people are called the middle class in every society/country. They are not the poor. They are the people that build up a country's GDP. If in doubt, ask google.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by alajor(m): 4:36pm On Nov 25, 2013
embarassed
deor03: This is an excellent policy. I have been hoping for this for a long time.

In south Africa, over 90% of the cars driven are made locally. Inported cars are not affordable for ordianry south Africans. This has created a whole lot of job and forex for them , as they export to the whole of SADC and some to South America

So many years back, India had this policy and this encouraged the likes of TATA.

While Nigerians are complaining, some smart foreigners are concluding plans to set up their plant locally.
true bro. South africa even refused the importation of hummer 3 into the country, they ask that the plant be set up in south africa first and they will do d assembly and all that. Hummer was forced to do just dat, they put up a plant in eastlondon in south africa thereby creating more than 10000 jobs for d locals and the rest they say is history. Almost every car u see on south african roads have their manufacturing plant in south africa. Nigerians should wake up. Last time I was in nigeria(june this year) I wept for my country. And it breaks my heart that a country so richly blessed wit natural resources could b so damned. I'm crying again now.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Nobody: 4:39pm On Nov 25, 2013
Flyboy Zee:

These group of people are called the middle class in every society/country. They are not the poor. They are the people that build up a country's GDP. If in doubt, ask google.

Since your own middle class are the same everywhere, can you please compare in dollars the average salary of a teacher in Nigeria and other industrialized countries?
And while at it can you compare the salary of Nigerian lawmakers with these countries as well?
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Nobody: 4:50pm On Nov 25, 2013
This new policy by this government is simply an act of putting the cart before the horse. I most times get amazed when supposedly learned fellows in government, advise the government to put in place policies that are not sustainable in the longrun; but which would end up impacting negatively on the welfare of Nigerians.

No doubt, Nigeria should strive to develop its auto industry, as a means of generating employment and conserving the billions of dollars spent each year in importing cars (both tokunboh and new) from other countries. But this can only be done when government put in place adequate infrastructure (good roads, stable power, revitalise the steel sector and redesign the educational sector to meet the needs of the industry) that can attract auto manufacturing plants to the country. As it is now, with this new policy, no tangible auto investments would come into the country and Nigerians would have to pay more to transport themselves, while smuggling would sky-rocket to an all time high.

I weep for Nigeria!! But then, i cannot wait to punish this clueless government with my vote!!!!

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by deor03(m): 4:57pm On Nov 25, 2013
oyb:

and how much does his cement cost?

the energy situation in nigeria means that the likes of dangote spend insane amounts on energy which they throw right back to us

the absence of just about any industry means every part of those vehicles will be imported, not fabricated

most of the locally coupled generators are poorly assembled - so we will have more of the same for cars

of course some people [probably govt cronies] will make a killing

all that is happening is that the number of have nots will increase and the gap between the haves and have nots will widen

and of course, you can expect that there will be import waivers for our biggest consumers - the presidency, fec, governors and senate]

His cement cost is a function of market forces. If eagle cement or larfarge chooses to sell their own cement half of Dangote's price, no one will hold them to it.

The Energy sector in Nigeria will make an unprecedented growth in the next 10 years, so over time power issues will be dealth with. Policies are not made for an immediate impact, they are made for the long run.

If properly implemented, this policy will be a very positive effect on the the future Engineers.

When Hyundai came into this market about 6-7 years ago, they were the low end cars, but nowadays, they are being used as status cars. With our patronage the likes of Innoson will get better by the day.

We are not independent, if we can feed ourselves, clothe ourselves , shelter ourselves
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by sademola: 5:02pm On Nov 25, 2013

Sharrraaaaaaap!!!! Those places "you have being" had the automobile plants producing adequately. My guy, do you know that importation of tokunbo cars and new ones were actually alien to Nigerians in the years past? Those were the days when we have PAn, Volks, Steyr and co eithe assembly or "manufacturing", Nigerians then dont get crazy or interested in imported cars, why? The answer is the assemblies were in production and sufficient.

If govt increases the tariff when there's no enough capacity to produce locally then I think that's sheer wickedness!!
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Eyop: 5:04pm On Nov 25, 2013
sademola:

Sharrraaaaaaap!!!! Those places "you have being" had the automobile plants producing adequately. My guy, do you know that importation of tokunbo cars and new ones were actually alien to Nigerians in the years past? Those were the days when we have PAn, Volks, Steyr and co eithe assembly or "manufacturing", Nigerians then dont get crazy or interested in imported cars, why? The answer is the assemblies were in production and sufficient.

If govt increases the tariff when there's no enough capacity to produce locally then I think that's sheer wickedness!!

Don't mind him,he deserves to be flogged grin
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 25, 2013
deor03:

When Hyundai came into this market about 6-7 years ago, they were the low end cars, but nowadays, they are being used as status cars. With our patronage the likes of Innoson will get better by the day.

We are not independent, if we can feed ourselves, clothe ourselves , shelter ourselves

Is that hyundai or the reduced purchasing power of the nigerian consumer? This administration is reducing the disposable income of the average nigerian. its almost better to buy now because you won't. Be able to afford it tomorrow

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Nobody: 5:27pm On Nov 25, 2013
deor03:

His cement cost is a function of market forces. If eagle cement or larfarge chooses to sell their own cement half of Dangote's price, no one will hold them to it.

The Energy sector in Nigeria will make an unprecedented growth in the next 10 years, so over time power issues will be dealth with. Policies are not made for an immediate impact, they are made for the long run.

If properly implemented, this policy will be a very positive effect on the the future Engineers.

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by emalekuo(m): 5:27pm On Nov 25, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
I heard the policy will go side by side with car loans. Moreover, some brand new Innoson vehicles are cheaper or atleast the same price range with imported Tokubo vehicles. We have to take certain difficult decisions to move this country forward.

stop making noise here, what do you know about this policy? why start with cars when there are other sectors that such policies could be implemented, how many functional plants for car assembly do we have? what transport alternatives are there for the masses? even electricity to run these plants is not even available, a country that can't manufacture tires is talking about cars.

2 Likes

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Nobody: 5:41pm On Nov 25, 2013
Flyboy Zee:

There is nowhere in the world where the poor buy cars. Not even in countries where their GDP is greater than the entire Nigerian annual budget. Poor people are not after cars, they call it luxury. Poor people are not after cars, they are after food. So stop crying wolf, where there is none.
There's no where in the world where poor people buy cars? Obviously you have never step foot outsides the shores of Nigeria before to make such an ignorant statement.

1 Like

Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by Eyop: 5:45pm On Nov 25, 2013
femmyb: There's no where in the world where poor people buy cars? Obviously you have never step foot outsides the shores of Nigeria before to make such an ignorant statement.

Don't mind him. Even in USA,the car dealers are even encouraging the poor to come and buy cars even with bad credit.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by otokx(m): 5:49pm On Nov 25, 2013
Government should set the pace by buying only assembled in Nigeria cars. They should not subject us to this hardship policy when we do not get hardship allowance.

People should stop comparing Nigeria & South Africa, they are in the 1st world while we struggle to maintain our place in the 3rd world.
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by AmeLonRo(m): 5:52pm On Nov 25, 2013
Hello, a friend wants to sell his used car to get a toks. With this tarrif thing, please whats your candid view?
Re: Tariff On Imported Cars To Rise By 60% by VirginFinder: 6:01pm On Nov 25, 2013
The FG should just ban importation of vehicles outright and advise us to patronise the locally made ones.

I'll proudly ride a brand new Innoson car than an imported Tokunbo car.

The issues are where are the Innoson vehicles and how much are they?

It's time for Innoson to shine!

Proudly Nigerian!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pre-order and Ship Vehicles from all States in the US. / A 2007 Nigerian Used Honda Accord For Sale...1.2m / Brand New 2015 Rolls Royce phantom II

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.