Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,270 members, 7,807,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:33 PM

Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him (27226 Views)

Wole Soyinka: "InterInventions", My New Book Will Draw Blood / Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Prize In 1986 (picture) / Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by AdekunleSegun(m): 5:15pm On Nov 26, 2013
wow...very soon
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by alcuin(m): 5:18pm On Nov 26, 2013
Wole is not an atheist. He is a proud worshiper of Osun, the river goddess.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by illicit(m): 5:38pm On Nov 26, 2013
OP, u dont use WAS for a living person who hasnt changed his religion perspective, if u say he was an atheist, does that mean he is dead now or born again? I think u meant to say HE IS AN ATHEIST not WAS
and by the way WS is not an atheist, he beleives in the yoruba pantheon, he specifically values the Ogun deity, he can be describe as agnostic more than atheistic

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Nobody: 5:42pm On Nov 26, 2013
eaglek: The Fool says in his heart "There is no God". No be me talk am. Atheism is definitely not the way to go. Doesn't matter how many "prominent" people have taken that route. They sure have all erred! I rest my case.
eaglek: The Fool says in his heart "There is no God". No be me talk am. Atheism is definitely not the way to go. Doesn't matter how many "prominent" people have taken that route. They sure have all erred! I rest my case.

Well said
whether fame, affluence or name none of dis can save. He had better search 4 JESUS Now
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Nobody: 5:47pm On Nov 26, 2013
plus, he lives in my area...
I think I know that about him grin

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by samuelkew(m): 5:48pm On Nov 26, 2013
I think he is better called a pagan or a traditionalist or any term that considers the fact that he believes in Ogun(Yoruba god of iron and merriment). Just think so...
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:51pm On Nov 26, 2013
I met some teachers in my undergraduate days who are just proud of being taught by Wole Soyinka.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by purplekayc(m): 5:53pm On Nov 26, 2013
castielo: He needs help undecided
will u help him? And what sort of help?
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by victorD3: 6:02pm On Nov 26, 2013
@op you should have droped the side that he is a cultist
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Nobody: 6:03pm On Nov 26, 2013
@Op, there is nothing new in that write-up. Pls tell us something we don't know abt Soyinka.
Also, Soyinka is a traditionalist not an atheist
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Nobody: 6:04pm On Nov 26, 2013
mastercee:

He has been married three times and divorced twice

He has been married to his third and current wife, Adefolake Soyinka, since 1989 and has three children with her (he also has children by his other wives). Adefolake is a former student of Wole’s.

Source: afkinsider.com

undecided.

Explains a lot of his utterances.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by abbeysteph: 6:06pm On Nov 26, 2013
Which planet ar u frm?na u nid help sharp sharp
castielo: He needs help undecided
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by itsIYKE(m): 6:14pm On Nov 26, 2013
WTF

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by boay(m): 6:22pm On Nov 26, 2013
Orlando Owoh:
Not really, his favourite Orisa is Ogun, the god of thunder whom he claims makes him muse on his literary prowess.
Ogun is the god of iron. Sango is the god of thunder
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by creativemusic: 6:22pm On Nov 26, 2013
well we thank God for his life despite ...................... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by boay(m): 6:23pm On Nov 26, 2013
koastar: @Op, there is nothing new in that write-up. Pls tell us something we don't know abt Soyinka.
Also, Soyinka is a traditionalist not an atheist
Probably they are not new to you, but they are new to me and many other people.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by boay(m): 6:25pm On Nov 26, 2013
I pray he will come to the saving knowledge of Christ before his demise.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:26pm On Nov 26, 2013
nnenna.1:

undecided.

Explains a lot of his utterances.
Maybe that also explains why some bastar.ds are fighting over Ojukwu's wealth. Maybe also, that is why Stella Oduah behaves the way she does.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:28pm On Nov 26, 2013
boay:
Ogun is the god of iron. Sango is the god of thunder
Thanks.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by VICTORCIZA(m): 6:41pm On Nov 26, 2013
MAD OLD PROFESOR
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by olorunthobby(f): 6:52pm On Nov 26, 2013
ok
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by nonsookongwu(m): 7:03pm On Nov 26, 2013
Sepp360: Whats challenging about his life? Being atheist?...
Thats the most interesting part if i must say!...

A proud Atheist!...
A proud Cultist!...
seriously.....u, Christian, ngwa what have u achieved in the course of national development....all u could say is that he is an atheist and cultist......guy, judge not jare. appreciate him. most of our Christian leaders in d face of money will blaspheme, talk good of the bad government and clean mouth.......seriously, God is the only person that ll judge and not u

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by pristine7(m): 7:03pm On Nov 26, 2013
This is not correct, the man is not an atheist. He believes in ogun, sango, and the likes. he is a practising traditionalist. I've sat under him before and I've been to his house in an abeokuta forest. there you will see all kinds of fetish sculptures. I heard it from his mouth that he does not believe in organised religion but surely believes in god.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by alcuin(m): 7:10pm On Nov 26, 2013
He is the revered CAPON BLOOD of Tortugal.....in Pyratical parlance.

Ahoiiiii.......to him(if he is reading this).
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Tonetonz(f): 7:11pm On Nov 26, 2013
mastercee: Wole Soyinka is well known throughout Nigeria and the rest of the world as a brilliant playwright, poet and political activist. With more than 50 pieces of work, his writing includes novels, memoirs and a wide variety of essays. He is the first person in Africa to win the Nobel Prize in literature, and is respected for his willingness to speak out against repression and corruption. But beyond all of that, there are still many things you may not know about Wole Soyinka.

Though his father was an Anglican minister, Wole was an atheist

Wole’s father, Samuel Ayodele Soyinka, (whom he called S.A. or “Essay”) was an Anglican minister and headmaster of St. Peters School in Abẹokuta. His mother, Grace Eniola Soyinka, owned a market shop, was active in the women’s movement in her community and also was a practicing Anglican. Wole, on the other hand, was an atheist. His beliefs contributed greatly to his writing.

He’s got some pretty influential family members

Wole’s mother, Grace, was a member of the Ransome-Kuti family, known for its contributions to Nigerian art, religion, education, medicine and politics. His cousins include activists Beko Ransome-Kuti and Yemisi Ransome-Kuti, musician Fela Kuti, and Health Minister Olikoye Ransome-Kuti.

He helped found the first confraternity in Nigeria

While pursuing a degree in English literature, Greek, and Western history at University College in Ibadan, Wole helped found the Pyrates Confraternity with six others. It was built as an anti-corruption and justice-seeking student organization, themes that would play into much of his later work.

He’s been arrested multiple times

Before he was famously arrested during the civil war in Nigeria, he was imprisoned in 1964 after being accused of making political radio broadcasts disputing published election results.

Despite imprisonment, Soyinka was wildly productive, writing and producing several plays

Some of Wole’s most famous works were written during his 22-month imprisonment. He smuggled in materials such as books, pens and paper. Much of his work at this time, unsurprisingly, was focused on criticizing the Nigerian government that was restricting his freedom.

Wole went into voluntary exile amid concerns over the political situation in Nigeria

After resigning from his professorial duties at the University of Ibadan in April 1971, he spent five years of voluntary exile in Europe. During this time, he worked as the editor of “Transition,” Nigeria’s leading intellectual journal.

He has been married three times and divorced twice

He has been married to his third and current wife, Adefolake Soyinka, since 1989 and has three children with her (he also has children by his other wives). Adefolake is a former student of Wole’s.

He has never been afraid to criticize other nations or his own

Wole is well known for making contentious statements against other nations, including European nations where he lived in exile. It demonstrates his commitment to exposing injustice regardless of the location, and his willingness to make unpopular moves.

In Nigeria, he is considered a political activist first and a playwright second

Despite his amazing body of work, Wole’s long history of criticizing the Nigerian government and taking action against corruption are among his greatest legacies. He remains an influence on writers and activists in Nigeria and across the world.

He has been named Commander of the Federal Republic of Nigeria

This is a Nigerian honor first established in 1964 people who served and benefited Nigeria. Soyinka was awarded in 1986, the same year he won the Nobel Prize for Literature.

Source: afkinsider.com
is he dead?,why using 'he was' abeg correct am o
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Yemlizzy(f): 7:20pm On Nov 26, 2013
Despite his being an atheist,Wole Soyinka is a force to reckon with!
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Akshow: 7:35pm On Nov 26, 2013
So if someone is not a xtian or muslim automatically in some myopic naija m+oro+n's dictionary he is an atheist. Smh for una

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Delafruita(m): 7:38pm On Nov 26, 2013
Yemlizzy: Despite his being an atheist,Wole Soyinka is a force to reckon with!
what do u mean by "despite his being an atheist...".when did been an atheist and been successful become inversely propotional?
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by nokingasgod: 7:54pm On Nov 26, 2013
Pathfinder1:
Well said
whether fame, affluence or name none of dis can save. He had better search 4 JESUS Now

An Osama Bin Laden in the cathedral!
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by gratiaeo(m): 7:56pm On Nov 26, 2013
I don't bloody care about that roguish bastard
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him by Akshow: 7:59pm On Nov 26, 2013
gratiaeo: I don't bloody care about that roguish bastard
show some respect kid, he is ur grand father's age mate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman / Wole Soyinka With A Guitar (Picture) / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Celebrates Her 43rd Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.