Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,027 members, 7,807,042 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? (44184 Views)

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? / Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Gracious10: 3:34pm On Nov 28, 2013
babyosisi: There is something in an Igbo man that makes him adore Igbo women
We understand them and they understand us
My two first bobos were Yoruba ( they were very good to me by the way) but when it came to marriage,I still preferred an Igbo man too.
Three times I had tried to matchmake some folks
The moment I mentioned the woman was Yoruba,without even seeing a picture,the men lost interest including a girl whose mom was Igbo and father Yoruba.
One of the guys I was matchmaking with my school daughter,a physician ,I called him one day to start the show and his mother was on the background asking " Juo ya ma o nwere Onye Igbo doctor o ma"
( ask her if she knows an Igbo female doctor ) hahahaha
I tried to set up my older cousin with my Yoruba friend but he couldn't get over her tribe
Igbo men prefer Igbo women no doubt and have broken many hearts and when they venture out they prefer to look towards Calabar side or Rivers and Igbo/ Igboid parts of Delta.We are similar in many ways.
Igbos are family oriented and prefer cultures where the family unit in strong
Yorubas are very polygamous and promiscuous and their men and women freely have kids out of wedlock,they have complicated backgrounds so an Igbo man is fearful that a woman from such a background will not be good enough to raise a lasting family with.
That is one of the reasons
The other reason is the distrust after the civil war
The third reason is the notion that they use juju to tie a man in that culture( because if the promiscuity).That scares our Igbo men
No Igbo mother will happily agree to a non Igbo daughter in law ,there is always some convincing the man has to do.

This is very true and touched all areas.
My friends Dad had to dissuade her from marrying a Yoruba man by showing her the machete marks and cuts he got from the biafran war. He wouldn't even set eyes on the Yoruba suitor.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Truckpusher(m): 3:34pm On Nov 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

SO if you are rich and educated, you are enlightened.

and if you hold onto culture and religion, you are a fool.

na wa, no wonder African countries are so backward.

TUFIA!

All propaganda.
Absolutely you lack the basic ingredients to comprehend properly before quoting and rushing into conclusion reasoning from your butt.

In a layman's language :
1) People tend to drop some cultures because they are educated
2) Rich people do not believe in some culture because the society they must have encountered somehow would have made them to become acculturated
3)Most of these cultures that are very backward like your osu system are usually upheld in the villages where you have a larger population of a people belonging to one tribe,region and religion or way of life

And yes, the more successful and enlightened you become you'll generally drop some unhealthy cultures that constantly clash with your environment .For example if i'm an Osu wanting to marry a free born that has an educated father and mother living in a far away land will the issue of being an osu come into play?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:34pm On Nov 28, 2013
Loski_Nedu:
You are partly right. In yonder, the Osus were revered cos people believe that they belong to the gods and hence any ill-treatment melted out to them attracts the wrath of the gods. Alas!! Christianity came and the gods somehow lost their original place, thus, sadly, the reverence of the Osus gave way to discrimination.

True.

Once im done with the Yoruba Pagan movement, we will concentrate more on reviving Igbo religion.

The problem is that, unlike Yoruba Babalawos, Igbo Dbias have still not taken advantage of the Information Age and Computer technology.

so its difficult to spread the faith.

Hopefully once the movement kickstarts, we'll encourage people to have more pride in marrying Osus since they are people touched by the Gods.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Nov 28, 2013
coogar:

so what happens if an osu converts to christianity today, does it change her status or she's an osu for life?
It doesn't change especially when it comes to marriage and leadership positions. However, the discrimination is somehow veiled in churches.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by jaybee3(m): 3:35pm On Nov 28, 2013
freecocoa: C'mon sweet don't be like that tongue

Its just what have been noticed.

Never in the history of the igbos has\can it be heard that an igbo man's wife is offered as entertainment to another man by her husband,yet such happens in certain tribe(s) that's just 1 example dear.

what you've noticed doesn't necessarily mean it's the norm

You are more likely to marry someone from your own tribe/ethnic group if these are the only people you move with. The dynamics change one the element of choice is introduced.

When can i come and pay your bride price jare.

I must to marry you by force
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Psychedelia(m): 3:35pm On Nov 28, 2013
coogar:

shouldn't such practises of discrimination be outlawed? osu my foot!!! let me see a mazi or igwe that would prevent me from marrying someone they think is OSU......i would start a riot in that village.

That Osu thing is a joke now. In the past, they used to say mere taking gifts from an Osu would make you one. Well, what about Uni boys and girls who've been phucking like wildcats?
All these guys who've patronized prosstiitutes, are they also going to tell us, that while slapping on the rubber, they say, "Oh, by the way, I forgot to ask, are you Osu?"

Or is anybody going to tell me he'd ask this girl if she was Osu before tearing her to pieces from the back?

grin
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by coogar: 3:36pm On Nov 28, 2013
Loski_Nedu:
Your are right!!! In saner climes, the Parliament would have enacted laws that will repel this age-long obnoxious practice.

the most annoying thing is the community allows it. i can understand our foremothers & forefathers with little or no education embracing such evil practises but our generation has no excuse kowtowing such an evil practise.

we are educated!

Loski_Nedu:
It doesn't change especially when it comes to marriage and leadership positions. However, the discrimination is somehow veiled in churches.

houston, we have a problem!!!
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Nov 28, 2013
On the contrary igbos are more westernised than most parts of Nigeria(they only exhibit that culture when time for marriage comes)

coogar:

if all you said is true, then western education didn't achieve much in eastern nigeria. what a pity!!!!!
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by 50calibre(m): 3:37pm On Nov 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

Its not funny. Thnx for confirming my long-standing theory.

THe Osu discrimination was started by christians to put an end to anything associated with Igbo religion.

In the days of Pagan Igboland, when Igbos were 100% Pagan, Osus held huge powers and people feared them.

the tables have reversed now.

So you are saying paganism was better? I'm sure no woman in her right senses will agree with that. The OSU thing is just an unfortunate side, but Christianity did more good that harm to the Igbo culture.

During the pagan era, men were seen as next to the gods, the women were just pawns to be used, & served no other purpose apart from breeding & feeding her family. Women never spoke where men were speaking, never ate what they want, were punished for failing to produce a male child or disobeying her husband, the foolishness of that era was incredible.

Paganism is associated with animalistic behaviours & practices.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by thewarrior72: 3:38pm On Nov 28, 2013
tosingcfr:

I'm presently in an igbo village,I know of a lady who commits adultery. Is that your definition of faithfulness Don't generalise please
Oga it's one in a million, unlike here in southwest
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by coogar: 3:40pm On Nov 28, 2013
lorretta u: On the contrary igbos are more westernised than most parts of Nigeria(they only exhibit that culture when time for marriage comes)

more westernised? i strongly disagree. the coastal areas are the most westernised in nigeria.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:41pm On Nov 28, 2013
Truckpusher: Absolutely you lack the basic ingredients to comprehend properly before quoting and rushing into conclusion reasoning from your butt.

In a layman's language :
2) Rich people do not believe in some culture because the society they must have encountered somehow would have made them to become acculturated
3)Most of these cultures that are very backward like your osu system are usually upheld in the villages where you have a larger population of a people belonging to one tribe,region and religion or way of life

And yes, the more successful and enlightened you become you'll generally drop some unhealthy cultures that constantly clash with your environment .For example if i'm an Osu wanting to marry a free born that has an educated father and mother living in a far away land will the issue of being an osu come into play?

You are a big egg-head. Im more educated than you (im sure) so i don't need you to teach me the "layman's language".

1) People tend to drop cultures only when they feel a foreign culture is superior to theirs. this is called "slave mentality".
It is a very backward way of thinking.

2)That is the biggest bullsh.it Ive ever heard.
Go to places like East Asia and the Middle East. These people , especially the rich stick to culture and value it more closely than the middle-class. Infact these are the people who spend big amounts to preserve their peoples cultures.

3)Osu System is not backward. It is christianity that has cause Osu discrimination ( i have explained this in a previous post above. go check.) Therefore again, it is slave mentality all over again.
and stop generalizing by saying "most of these cultures".

so what is forward? Wearing skimpy clothes? watching "p.ornography"?, doing drugs and listening to rap music?

Why drop your culture if you are Osu? Drop christianity for decreasing your social status and discriminating against you!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by thewarrior72: 3:42pm On Nov 28, 2013
lorretta u: It is a general belief that igbo women don't mess around while married
That's the cause of the high bride price and the reason why igbo men don't like to marry out.on the bride price day,the kinsmen will always call the bride aside and tell her "stick to you husband no matter what"
I know guys like that that's why they keep coming for more

Even other tribes come to igbo to marry
The most proposals I ever got were from non-igbo guys. Which led me to believe that non-igbos love igbo women

Of course there are exceptions to the rule.and times are changing. Igbo people especially our women are marrying into other tribes without bias nowadays.
That's why they are been mistreated& nobody comes to they rescue kiss
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Nov 28, 2013
Gracious10:

This is very true and touched all areas.
My friends Dad had to dissuade her from marrying a Yoruba man by showing her the machete marks and cuts he got from the biafran war. He wouldn't even set eyes on the Yoruba suitor.

A friend visited me and told me how she broke off her engagement with a Yoruba man years ago
He had done his NYSC in the east where they met and fell in love and he remained and found a job in the east
They got engaged
Her parents cried out but she turned deaf ears
Them one day a former lecturer of hers who was dreaded at the uni came to her and said " Nne who did I hear that that you want to marry"
The woman told her that she was on a mission to warn every girl never to make the mistake
She started to withdraw from the man and eventually married someone else

Many Igbo girls who married Yorubas have regretted it years down the road
I have heard this from at least 5 people
My own cousin said and I quote " my enemy will not marry Yoruba"
I think however that the regret must be because they had a bad marriage not the man's tribe sha

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Iyineda(m): 3:43pm On Nov 28, 2013
I guess my mother isn't Igbo then since she married a Yoruba lad, from Ijebu-Ode.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by coogar: 3:44pm On Nov 28, 2013
Psychedelia:

That Osu thing is a joke now. In the past, they used to say mere taking gifts from an Osu would make you one. Well, what about Uni boys and girls who've been phucking like wildcats?
All these guys who've patronized prosstiitutes, are they also going to tell us, that while slapping on the rubber, they say, "Oh, by the way, I forgot to ask, are you Osu?"

Or is anybody going to tell me he'd ask this girl if she was Osu before tearing her to pieces from the back?

grin

afam probably asks them before he penetrates. he gives them a questionnaire to fill & a big bible to swear with.

Iyineda: I guess my mother isn't Igbo then since she married a Yoruba lad, from Ijebu-Ode.

well, according to the populist opinion your ijebuode dad would soon kick out your igbo mum as yorubas don't respect the marriage institution.

can you imagine such? grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:45pm On Nov 28, 2013
coogar:

the most annoying thing is the community allows it. i can understand our foremothers & forefathers with little or no education embracing such evil practises but our generation has no excuse kowtowing such an evil practise.

we are educated!

houston, we have a problem!!!

LOL! educated? * smh

It is your papas generation that started this backward custom. Drop christianity first. Then you will not just be educated, but "enlightened".

Follow the footsteps of our Great thinkers, Chinua Achebe and WOle Soyinka and Im sure Nigeria will be a Great Nation.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Nov 28, 2013
Iyineda: I guess my mother isn't Igbo then since she married a Yoruba lad, from Ijebu-Ode.

Igbos and Ijebu people jive well
There is a kindred spirit between the two
I have written here earlier that whenever I met a Yoruba person I clicked with ,it has always turned out that they were Ijebu
They are not afraid ,suspicious or intimidated by Igbos,I have proven that over and over again
Interestingly both groups claim to have descended from Jewish origin
Hahahaha
Another topic altogether
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by nicky4lif(f): 3:45pm On Nov 28, 2013
Well me I'm igbo nd I love my igbo brothers nd can't do with out them,don't want someone who will be jumping like an abino when my people are speaking or playing our song.aside igbo,I can only marry from delta igbo.its not my fault,I just want someone who understands my tradition.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Nov 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

True.

Once im done with the Yoruba Pagan movement, we will concentrate more on reviving Igbo religion.

The problem is that, unlike Yoruba Babalawos, Igbo Dbias have still not taken advantage of the Information Age and Computer technology.

so its difficult to spread the faith.

Hopefully once the movement kickstarts, we'll encourage people to have more pride in marrying Osus since they are people touched by the Gods.

Um...Osu and non-Osu did not intermarry in pagan, pre-Christian times. They did not interact socially. Osus were not allowed to take titles in the community. True, their connections with the gods gave them a slight edge in religious matters, but that's where it ended. They were still a marginalized lot. And reverting to paganism won't fix that.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by gratiaeo(m): 3:47pm On Nov 28, 2013
My two first bobos were Yoruba ( they were very good to me by the way) but when it came to marriage,I still preferred an Igbo man too.
The moment I mentioned the woman was Yoruba,without even seeing a picture,the men lost interest including a girl whose mom was Igbo and father Yoruba.
One of the guys I was matchmaking with my school daughter,a physician ,I called him one day to start the show and his mother was on the background asking " Juo ya ma o nwere Onye Igbo doctor o ma"
I tried to set up my older cousin with my Yoruba friend but he couldn't get over her tribe
Igbo men prefer Igbo women no doubt and have broken many hearts and when they venture out they prefer to look towards Calabar side or Rivers and Igbo/ Igboid parts of Delta.We are similar in many ways.
Yorubas are very polygamous and promiscuous and their men and women freely have kids out of wedlock,they have complicated backgrounds so an Igbo man is fearful that a woman from such a background will not be good enough to raise a lasting family with.
That is one of the reasons
The third reason is the notion that they use juju to tie a man in that culture( because of the promiscuity).That scares our Igbo men
No Igbo mother will happily agree to a non Igbo daughter in law ,there is always some convincing the man has to do.

You are on point here!
Their is a lot difference between Igbo and other tribe (Yoruba in mind) i can tidy them girl. (if i see any beautiful) marriage? Mbanu! Our blood is ticker

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Acidosis(m): 3:47pm On Nov 28, 2013
oya my last cents grin

f00ls (those discriminating) grin

Y'all should not only marry your tribes. Make sure you marry from your village, and if your village is too complex, you can still decide to choose from your street/compound or even your father's house... grin grin grin

EXITS grin
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:48pm On Nov 28, 2013
50calibre:

So you are saying paganism was better? I'm sure no woman in her right senses will agree with that. The OSU thing is just an unfortunate side, but Christianity did more good that harm to the Igbo culture.

During the pagan era, men were seen as next to the gods, the women were just pawns to be used, & served no other purpose apart from breeding & feeding her family. Women never spoke where men were speaking, never ate what they want, were punished for failing to produce a male child or disobeying her husband, the foolishness of that era was incredible.

Paganism is associated with animalistic behaviours & practices.

Ofourse Paganismis better! That is my religion you ---- lipsrsealed
There are some Igbo Pagan women. Ofcourse Igbos these days wont agree with complete Paganism because theyve been brainwashed heavily.
christianity did good to Igbo culture? You are joking right?
christianity DESTROYED Igbo culture. (or atleast tried to wherever possible)

Dont talk nonsense. You were not born then.
In fact during the Pagan era, women were very powerful. Hausaland especially had many Pagan Queens and even today, the Chief (pope) of us Hausa Arna Pagans is a Woman by compulsion.

so you are theory is nil and void. (propaganda).

The foolishness of this era is incredible, where every woman is seen by every man as a mere s.ex object.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by coogar: 3:48pm On Nov 28, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

LOL! educated? * smh

It is your papas generation that started this backward custom. Drop christianity first. Then you will not just be educated, but "enlightened".

Follow the footsteps of our Great thinkers, Chinua Achebe and WOle Soyinka and Im sure Nigeria will be a Great Nation.

so we should drop christianity that preaches love your neighbour as yourself & embrace the one that discriminates against our kindred because of some idiotic myths?

hahahaha - you are smarter than einstein.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:50pm On Nov 28, 2013
Radoillo:

Um...Osu and non-Osu did not intermarry in pagan, pre-Christian times. They did not interact socially. Osus were not allowed to take titles in the community. True, their connections with the gods gave them a slight edge in religious matters, but that's where it ended. They were still a marginalized lot. And reverting to paganism won't fix that.

That is not true. Again it is all propaganda spread by missionaries and the church, (just like twin-killing).

Osus did not need titles. The Osu title itself could strike fear into the hearts and minds of men.

Reverting to Paganism is the only way for Nigerias mental progress.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by ladygogo: 3:51pm On Nov 28, 2013
[b]Yorubas are very polygamous and promiscuous and their men and women freely have kids out of wedlock,they have complicated backgrounds so an Igbo man is fearful that a woman from such a background will not be good enough to raise a lasting family with.
That is one of the reasons[/b]
The third reason is the notion that they use juju to tie a man in that culture( because of the promiscuity).That scares our Igbo men

Crapstatic!! grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:51pm On Nov 28, 2013
Acidosis: oya my last cents grin

f00ls (those discriminating) grin

Y'all should not only marry your tribes. Make sure you marry from your village, and if your village is too complex, you can still decide to choose from your street/compound or even your father's house... grin grin grin

EXITS grin

stop exaggerating. we are talking about tribe here.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by dgysoft(m): 3:51pm On Nov 28, 2013
According to a recent study in america. It was noticed that Igbo girls have the following character. 1 They are g in bed 2 They make nice dish. 3. The stay longer in marriage. 4. They are good resource manager. 5. They have good initiatives and innovator. 6. They are enterprising. 7. They are industrious. 8. They have the best body built. 9. They are crisis manager. 10. I love them all.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Nov 28, 2013
Oh well I didn't says igbos are the most westernized
Just that they are more so than many areas

I do understand that some areas will probably be more westernized then igboland especially those areas without strong traditions and cultures

Igbos are among the more westernized cos we travel a lot and imbibe different lifestyles along the way.

I'm not even sure that such a great thing.
coogar:

more westernised? i strongly disagree. the coastal areas are the most westernised in nigeria.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Nov 28, 2013
[size=18pt]but the very rich Yoruba inlaws are always welcome grin
[/size]

We can manage those ones
If person must eat frog let it be one with berra adipose tissues

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by thewarrior72: 3:53pm On Nov 28, 2013
Truckpusher: Absolutely you lack the basic ingredients to comprehend properly before quoting and rushing into conclusion reasoning from your butt.

In a layman's language :

The Osu thing has been abolished in igboland for a very long time, so stop peddling the ur unfounded rumour undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by SamIkenna: 3:54pm On Nov 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
From my understanding, an OSU is a descendant of those that were sacrificed to the gods and the only way you'll know an Osu is if you're told. It's not written on the forehead. I've never seen an Osu in my life and invariably have not seen the discrimination people keep talking about. Though i heard there are communities that are wholly Osu people.

Bro I don't think you're entirely correct. I have asked that question and have delved deep into Igbo culture and history and I can say that the emergence of out-castes in Igboland, even though very minuscule, is a complex one and most often had a lot to do with people who were either heavily indebted or in existential danger and, voluntarily, had to seek protection in many dreaded shrines that spanned the land in those dark ages.

You can see it as filing for bankruptcy kind of thing. The only problem is that once you fail to bail yourself out and seek the protection of community gods/shrines people in the community see you as someone belonging to the dreaded god. They give you a huge space and, alas! you don't need protection anymore. But it turns out you're stuck. However, because Igbos are generally competitive and would avoid shame by all means, folks chose to pay their debt, did their thing, and stayed away from being the property of the gods.

So, when you say "sacrifice," I say its kind of close but not exact. Anyway, who knows. Perhaps other communities had different routes they used to get to the same system. However, at the end of the day Christianity has destroyed the practice just as it destroyed polygamy in Igboland and what's left of the practice has been abolished and the population of Osu is perhaps a thousandth of a percent of Igbo population and I'm really happy for that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

The Meaning Of Edo Flag Of Benin Kingdom / Outrage As Nigerians Perform Traditional Rituals Publicly In South Africa.Photos / The Official Ukwuani Thread: Ukwuani Bu Ani Eze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.