Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Spoken Word Is Not POETRY. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Spoken Word Is Not POETRY. (498 Views)

If A Word Is Mispelled In The Dictionary,how Do We Know? / Spoken Word Vs Poetry / Every Word Is An Acronym (define Words) (2) (3) (4)

Spoken Word Is Not POETRY. by olulu(m): 1:20pm On Nov 27, 2013
Spoken Word is Not POETRY.

Written by William Saint George

This post is rewritten from a previous one that appeared on my personal blog. There, I tackled the general issue of art, but delved quickly into spoken word and poetry. The argument was spirited, quite hilarious to some people, and largely unguarded. In this rewriting, I will maintain my argument in the spirit in which it was put forth, but the views will be more balanced and wholesome to the general public. And so we begin:

I’ve not had the guts to come out with this statement yet, because my arguments were not fully thought out, and most people hate being told that their work is shoddy (crappy, actually, but we’ll leave it at that). With this in mind, I’ve kept my trap shut, but my eyes and mind open. Now, I can come forth and proudly say that I think little of Spoken Word “poetry”, that I condemn many artistes who pander their art in the good name of poetry, and generally do obscene things on stage and feel good about it. I’m not against all that, but certain lines must be drawn, in the holy name of art.
First, and most importantly, Spoken Word is not Poetry.

Continue at

http://wordup411ng.com/spoken-word-is-not-poetry/

The Stone Cutter / Focal Vocabulary Of Naija / UPDATED - Get Comprehensive Video Trainings For All Courses @tya.com.ng

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8