Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,164 members, 7,780,157 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:18 AM

What Do Nigeria Benefit As A Member Of The British Commonwealth. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Do Nigeria Benefit As A Member Of The British Commonwealth. (15657 Views)

The Nigeria Immigration Deports 6 British Citizens / Release All Nigerian Detainees Or Face Disband, British Party Warns UK Govt / Commonwealth Considers Visa-free Regime For Member Nations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do Nigeria Benefit As A Member Of The British Commonwealth. by donofdons: 5:33pm On Jul 22, 2008
WHAT DO NIGERIA BENEFIT AS A MEMBER OF THE BRITISH COMMONWEALTH.

i have beign wonderin about what our country benefit from UK and other commonwealth countries.please fellow nairalanders should educate us please.
Re: What Do Nigeria Benefit As A Member Of The British Commonwealth. by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jul 22, 2008
nothing .

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigeria Benefit As A Member Of The British Commonwealth. by SMC(f): 9:10pm On Jul 22, 2008
elodie:

nothing

That is not true. Most benefits accrue to the sovereign states, although it may be argued that it has ceased to have any clout or significance in the modern day world. For citizens however, there are numerous things to be gained, one of which is travel (which I try to take advantage of) to many other commonwealth countries visa free (please note that I said many, NOT ALL of them o) e.g. quite a number of those Caribbean countries.
Re: What Do Nigeria Benefit As A Member Of The British Commonwealth. by lucabrasi(m): 12:11am On Jul 23, 2008
@poster
ill say nothing as well considering the commitments nigeria undertakes because of the so called commonwealth,nigerians are treated like crap in commonwealth countries,theres no freemovement and they hide under the guise of"nigerians are scammers e.t.c"
which caribbean country still gives nigeria visa free,are you sure abou tha?
Re: What Do Nigeria Benefit As A Member Of The British Commonwealth. by landis(m): 11:35am On Jul 23, 2008
donofdons:

WHAT DO NIGERIA BENEFIT AS A MEMBER OF THE BRITISH COMMONWEALTH.

i have beign wonderin about what our country benefit from UK and other commonwealth countries.please fellow nairalanders should educate us please.

Good Post. Absolutely nothing!

We should leave this useless body.

example:
Germans(EU) which nearly wiped-out UK benefits more than Nigerians who contributed so much(colonial wealth) to the queen.

As africans we should learn to seek BENEFIT for our people. It is that simple.

As a minimum condition to remain in COMMONWEALTH; I expect 6-month work FREE-VISA for such citizens within each others territory.
Re: What Do Nigeria Benefit As A Member Of The British Commonwealth. by SMC(f): 1:47am On Jul 26, 2008
lucabrasi:

@poster
ill say nothing as well considering the commitments nigeria undertakes because of the so called commonwealth,nigerians are treated like crap in commonwealth countries,theres no freemovement and they hide under the guise of"nigerians are scammers e.t.c"
which caribbean country still gives nigeria visa free,are you sure abou tha?

I am very sure. I went on holiday to Barbados months back (Visa free, and yes, on a Naija passport). I know Grenada is visa free to commonwealth citizens too, because I was supposed to go there with my ex who is from Grenada a couple of years ago (See http://www.grenadaconsulate.com/VISA_EXEMPT.htm#Commonwealth). Jamaica used to be visa free for Nigerians, but now they allow citizens from all other commonwealth countries visa free, except Nigeria (Nigerians require "referral" i.e. a visa of sorts,  See http://www.congenjamaica-ny.org/visas.htm). No visitor from any country whatsoever requires a visa to enter St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Commonwealth Citizens do not require a visa to visit Saint Kitts and Nevis (See http://www.stkittsnevis.org/visas.html#exemp).

Trinidad and Tobago let in Ghanaians, Kenyans, Gambians and most commonwealth countries visa free,  Nigeria, South Africa, Cameroon and a few other commonwealth countries require visas (See http://www.immigration.gov.tt/applicationloader.asp?app=articles&id=694).  Anyone can enter the Dominican Republic if they have a valid US/UK/Canada/EU visa. They only need a tourist card which costs ten quid in the UK.

I think there may be others, but I am not staking my reputation on it. So Naija people know where they can go on holiday. A little research will probably unveil more.

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigeria Benefit As A Member Of The British Commonwealth. by KB1(m): 5:13am On Jul 26, 2008
If the US can due without it, I'm more than certain Naija can. I'd dump that useless body ASAP. Look how they cheat you all out of holding the 2014 CW games for sorry ass scotland. angry
Re: What Do Nigeria Benefit As A Member Of The British Commonwealth. by Sammy107d(m): 10:23pm On Jul 27, 2008
@ Smc. im sure you had a UK or US visa when you traveled to the Caribbean cos u have to transit. so wots the use. Il say nothing to commonwealth
Re: What Do Nigeria Benefit As A Member Of The British Commonwealth. by SMC(f): 5:34pm On Jul 28, 2008
Sammy107_d:

@ Smc. im sure you had a UK or US visa when you traveled to the Caribbean because u have to transit. so wots the use. Il say nothing to commonwealth

And your point is?

I had some mates from other countries who travelled to the caribbean and also had UK/US visas but who needed to get visas for the respective countries they were visiting in the caribbean. Also, apart from the Dominican Republic in which people can benefit from having UK/US or EU visas, you do NOT need a UK or US visa for those places I listed,  A transit visa would do nicely (and in the UK, an immigration official may use his discretion to allow you to pass through the UK to another country without a transit visa if you have a connecting flight in less than 24 hours. The same applied in the USA, but with their new anti-terror laws etc, I doubt anyone can get away with it anymore). Thus, for those countries I mentioned above, if you do not belong to a commonwealth country, you'll have to obtain a visa to visit (that is in addition with a transit visa for any relevant country you are passing through)
Re: What Do Nigeria Benefit As A Member Of The British Commonwealth. by Sammy107d(m): 11:32pm On Jul 28, 2008
ok then.
Re: What Do Nigeria Benefit As A Member Of The British Commonwealth. by SMC(f): 7:59pm On Jul 30, 2008
I even forgot another benefit. This only applies to citizens who are writers though. Only writers from Commonwealth countries can compete for the Booker Prize which is arguably the most prestigious prize for a single written work (novel) by an author. The Booker prize has the effect of propelling a writer's career sky high.

Now, I am not saying this is a reason to remain in the commonwealth, I am just saying it is one of the benefits that accrues to commonwealth citizens.

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigeria Benefit As A Member Of The British Commonwealth. by iamord(m): 8:22am On Apr 27, 2017
hello donofdons my post is not related to this thread, i will like to discuss with you in private
Re: What Do Nigeria Benefit As A Member Of The British Commonwealth. by Horus(m): 8:27pm On Sep 11, 2022
Nothing
Re: What Do Nigeria Benefit As A Member Of The British Commonwealth. by BigDawsNet: 9:31am On Sep 12, 2022
Visa free which has ended

Maybe they will reactivate sometime in the future if our people and government behave normal

(1) (Reply)

Dv 2009 Lottery Result Now Out ! / Every Taxi In Abuja Must Be Air-conditioned By October - FCTA / Lagos Blue Line Rail To Commence Full Operations From Sept 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.