Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,382 members, 7,781,071 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:25 AM

FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately (31200 Views)

FG Directs Depots To Sell Kerosene At N73.37k Per Litre / Prophet To Fashola: Re-open Yaba Railway Market Or Lose Your Children / Nigerians To Enjoy Regular Power Soon • Fg Directs States To Provide Electricity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by LMAyedun(m): 11:48am On Nov 28, 2013
The Federal Government has directed vice-chancellors of all Federal universities currently on strike to immediately re-open for academic and allied activities as directed by their pro-chancellors.

Minister of State for Education, Mr Nyesom Wike gave the directive and also asked the vice-chancellors to ensure that staff who resume for work are provided with the enabling environment to carry out academic activities.

He added that any staff who failed to resume on or before December 4, 2013 automatically ceases to be a staff of the institution and that vice-chancellors are allowed to advertise vacancies for their positions in their institution.

Mr Wike further said that the Federal Government has come to the conclusion that the continued industrial action is an attempt by the Academic Staff Union of Universities to sabotage all efforts to address the issues, despite the commitment of government.

As a responsible government it cannot allow the continuous closure of public institutions as this poses danger to the education system and the future of Nigerian youths.

The National Universities Commission (NUC) has been directed to ensure compliance of the directives by the various institutions.

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/11/28/fg-directs-federal-universities-to-re-open/?

7 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Nobody: 11:50am On Nov 28, 2013
GEJ is now exercising his presidential power.I pity all those lecturers spearheading the indefinate strike.
starting from FAGgie

14 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by egift(m): 11:54am On Nov 28, 2013
The Dictator has arrived. See the effect of APC's G7 extraction.

6 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by yunglykmine(m): 11:55am On Nov 28, 2013
Haba!!!
ASUU turned the whole strike action into child's play.
Abusing the constitutional right as a Union.

Total rubbish.

Kudos to the FG jare.

37 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by adepojuot: 11:58am On Nov 28, 2013
Wetin Jonathan fit do?employ new lectures or what...

2 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Boss13: 12:00pm On Nov 28, 2013
if I were the president, I would sack all lecturers on strike and open up vacancies to interested lecturers. This time their contract will be renegotiated with bumper package.

This will separate those who have passion for teaching and those who are just there for the money. I will also increase education budget to adequately fund universities.

I believe the sub-set of lecturers who don't love teaching will capture the bad eggs who molest female students, collect money for handouts and those who punish students at all will

14 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Dollarman101: 12:05pm On Nov 28, 2013
This is the best news I have had all day. What kind of rubbish is this? ASUU has been playing politics with the future of Nigerian students.
President Jonathan set aside other business to discuss with ASUU for 13 hours and they reached an agreement that looked very reasonable yet Fagge went to conduct elections across Nigeria.

That nothwitstanding, 60% voted for call off of the strike yet FAGGE & co wouldn't listen.
What are they upto?

38 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by abuc: 12:09pm On Nov 28, 2013
ASUU has over stressed their luck. They should have resolve the strike issue a week ago. Its very funny for them to be making new demands instead of calling off the strike. Now some universities have resume which I think is a big slap on ASUU face. Just 2 days ago, Pro-Chancellors demanded lecturers and students to resume. ASUU is gradually moving towards a state of personal destruction. FG may divide them and make the Union ineffective as they did to Governors Forum. They should peacefully accept FG Negotiations since they have promised to yield to some of their demands. I honestly want ASUU to remain united in order to always pressurize any seating Government to take care of our Instituions in order to meet Global Standard and compete with Global institutions.

On a serious note, which Government have really accepted 100% demand in any negotiation? I have not seen such, though I stand to be corrected. In every negotiation, both side need to shift some ground for it to work or its no longer negotiation. The students are the ones suffering all these gamble and chess game. Lecturers are also demanding for 5 months salary arrears they did not work for. Please what will be the direct benefit of these students that have wasted over 5 months doing nothing rather be on facebook, twitter, nairaland and newspaper stands arguing about Man City and Chelsea. Will the demand also help Lecturers to stop stealing other people work on the Internet and then resell to students as Course Materials? The Universities must resume next week or else, all the lecturers will be sack... That is my final resolution

92 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Dannylux: 12:09pm On Nov 28, 2013
This is a good move. Most of the lecturers spearheading this strike aren't even good teachers. This is a great chance to bring in fresh and better brains to help our universities.
Lecture students or risk your employment!
ASUU has taken this too far!

8 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by kokoA(m): 12:10pm On Nov 28, 2013
The both parties are going about it the wrong way. FG cannot force these guys back to work. ASUU is used to threats right from the military era so GEJ is child's play for them. Government should just ensure that they keep to their own side of the bargain, this will make ASUU loose sympathy and they will have no choice but to go back to work. Besides, this year is gone already, no meaningful academic work can be done before the festive periods. Both parties should use the remaining part of the year to resolve this nonsense.

9 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Nobody: 12:14pm On Nov 28, 2013
kokoA: The both parties are going about it the wrong way. FG cannot force these guys back to work. ASUU is used to threats right from the military era so GEJ is child's play for them. Government should just ensure that they keep to their own side of the bargain, this will make ASUU loose sympathy and they will have no choice but to go back to work. Besides, this year is gone already, no meaningful academic work can be done before the festive periods. Both parties should use the remaining part of the year to resolve this nonsense.
So I should sit at home till next year abi? Abeg abeg abeg angry

25 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Mcbussy(m): 12:15pm On Nov 28, 2013
ASUU is over-doing dis strike of a thing,but i pity those student that feel sacking d lecturers would be a way forward....do u know how long it would take to overhaul and re-staff d number of public universities we have in Nigeria? ......just pray ASUU agrees to suspend d strike.

2 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Zutchy: 12:16pm On Nov 28, 2013
ASUU should just apply to INEC for registration as a new political party. Enough is enough.
When I watched Presido lament that the strike is political, I felt he was just joking but I now understand better.
ASUU has no reason to extend this strike this far after that meeting with the president. That meeting should have just been the way forward for ASUU. That was the first time a Nigerian President would sit to hold talks with ASUU over an ongoing strike.
The FG offered 200b and a review of the 2009 agreement in line with present realities. ASUU delegation expressed satisfaction and left to consult thier members. Since then, it has been a roforofo battle.

13 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Demdem(m): 12:18pm On Nov 28, 2013
Foolish Govt.

Its obvious they arent interested in fulfilling any agreement. Either the one signed in 2009 or the MOU signed in 2012 or even the promises of

Jonathan after several hours of meeting with them of recent. If Jonathan is serious, why cant he sign and make his commitments on paper for all

to see and monitor. All hail ASUU, they have mastered the way of holding the govt by its balls. It will be extremely foolish for them to go back to

classes knowing fully well that Jonathan wont do as promised. Their strike and death of Iyayi would have been in vain. I expect the strike to

continue. ASUU never shut down any school, Those that shut down the schools are opening it back, so no qualms.

45 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Mcbussy(m): 12:18pm On Nov 28, 2013
kolawaxxy: So I should sit at home till next year abi? Abeg abeg abeg angry

guy i pity u.....it seems u don't understand d magnitude of what dis situation is gradually generating into.if Goodluck starts sacking,u are going to stay home way longer than next year.

4 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Demdem(m): 12:19pm On Nov 28, 2013
battnis: GEJ is now exercising his presidential power.I pity all those lecturers spearheading the indefinate strike.
starting from FAGgie

What will Jonathan do to them? Send them to jail?
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Demdem(m): 12:22pm On Nov 28, 2013
Dollarman101: ASUU has been playing politics with the future of Nigerian students.

How? Is requesting that agreement signed with them be fulfilled automatically mean that they are playing politics?

8 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by LMAyedun(m): 12:23pm On Nov 28, 2013
egift: The Dictator has arrived. See the effect of APC's G7 extraction.
LOL!!! cheesy cheesy
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Demdem(m): 12:24pm On Nov 28, 2013
kokoA: Government should just ensure that they keep to their own side of the bargain, this will make ASUU loose sympathy and they will have no choice but to go back to work.

This is the koko. I wonder why its so difficult to achieve. Govt should keep his own side of its agreement and see if ASUU members wont be

stoned anywhere in the country if they dont go back to classes.

2 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Mandelaguy(m): 12:33pm On Nov 28, 2013
Demdem: Foolish Govt.

Its obvious they arent interested in fulfilling any agreement. Either the one signed in 2009 or the MOU signed in 2012 or even the promises of

Jonathan after several hours of meeting with them of recent. If Jonathan is serious, why cant he sign and make his commitments on paper for all

to see and monitor. All hail ASUU, they have mastered the way of holding the govt by its balls. It will be extremely foolish for them to go back to

classes knowing fully well that Jonathan wont do as promised. Their strike and death of Iyayi would have been in vain. I expect the strike to

continue. ASUU never shut down any school, Those that shut down the schools are opening it back, so no qualms.

Here comes the resident retard on Nairaland with his i.mbecilic comments as usual.
President Jonathan is the first president to enter into direct negotiations with ASUU. He didn't do it out of weakness but a genuine desire to end the strike and get Nigerian students back to school.

It took the President 13 hours to reach a feasible agreement with ASUU (while you were asleep) and they had an understanding which includes a variation of the unimplementable 2009 agreement that ASUU reached under Yaradua.

President Jonathan told ASUU (and the facts are verifiable) that he is the president who has invested more in Education than any other.
He told them that he increased Education funding in the Budget from below 300B to 450 B. he also specialized tertiary funding through TETFUNDS.

He has undertaken the establishment of 12 new Federal universities to ensure that no state in the federation is deprived.
Since the strike started, FG has committee 100B for infrastructure and 30 B for earned allowances (no other administration has done this much)
In the same meeting, President said that despite the increased budgetary funding to Education by 450B, he will also mobilise 200 B in fulfillment of the agreement for the next 4 years.

So what is ASUU's problem? Since you were born, have you heard of any President that offered this much to ASUU just to call off a strike?
It's so unfortunate that politics has beclouded our sense of reasoning in this country.
President GEJ has tried, let FG go ahead to reopen the schools and it will be a popular move as you can see from comments on this thread

102 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by AbuMikey(m): 12:43pm On Nov 28, 2013

Ope oooooo gringrin

3 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Lawconfessor(f): 12:43pm On Nov 28, 2013
Demdem: This is the koko. I wonder why its so difficult to achieve. Govt should keep his own side of its agreement and see if ASUU members wont be

stoned anywhere in the country if they dont go back to classes.

All i could see is speech from d very DARK side of HATRED.
Onye mmuo. grin

19 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by excell12go(m): 12:43pm On Nov 28, 2013
Their new demands aren't too much for FG to implement if they(FG) really want us to go back to school.

Why can't d FG put into writing their promise of N220B annual grant to these institutions? ? That means they are not ready to drop this money next year and they know they can be sued by ASUU if they dont.

if paying their four(4) months salary will settle things a bit, why can't they just pay Don't they(FG) have the money? Would the FG not have paid if ASUU had not been on strike?

If the federal government really wants us to go back to school, they know what to do. Let them do the needful.

7 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by yunglykmine(m): 12:43pm On Nov 28, 2013
See Gobe!!!
I pity ASUU sha!!!
Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Nobody: 12:43pm On Nov 28, 2013
Demdem: Foolish Govt.

Its obvious you are not informed. Please do more of reading than pale criticism

17 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Puntae: 12:43pm On Nov 28, 2013
Demdem:

How? Is requesting that agreement signed with them be fulfilled automatically mean that they are playing politics?

Hey! Stop fooling yourself trying to defend the indefensible. This your argument would have made sense if it came up before the last meeting that President Jonathan had with the ASUU leaders. There is time for everything.
The President came down from his high horse to discuss with ASUU. One expected that should have gone a long way to resolve the whole crisis but ASUU apears adamant and intent on wreaking havoc on the system.

The decay in the system did not start today. It was neither caused by Jonathan. Even the man who was president and signed the 2009 agreement did not give ASUU a kobo. They just woke up 5 years later to hold GEJ to ransome. Yet the President has obliged them with over 200 billion but they are still playing politics. If I were the president, I would have sacked all of them a long time ago.

24 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Demdem(m): 12:47pm On Nov 28, 2013
[quote author=Mandelaguy]

Here comes the resident retard on Nairaland with his i.mbecilic comments as usual.

Fool, welkom on board

President Jonathan is the first president to enter into direct negotiations with ASUU. He didn't do it out of weakness but a genuine desire to end the strike and get Nigerian students back to school.

Its one thing for u to have a desire, its another for you to be sincere. Jonathan desires doesnt translate to sincerity.

It took the President 13 hours to reach a feasible agreement with ASUU (while you were asleep) and they had an understanding which includes a variation of the unimplementable 2009 agreement that ASUU reached under Yaradua.

13 hours of discussion and not agreement. ASUU said she will report back to the president directly and they have asking him to put it in paper and well signed. why should that be difficult for Jonathan to acheive?

[s]President Jonathan told ASUU (and the facts are verifiable) that he is the president who has invested more in Education than any other.
He told them that he increased Education funding in the Budget from below 300B to 450 B. he also specialized tertiary funding through TETFUNDS.

He has undertaken the establishment of 12 new Federal universities to ensure that no state in the federation is deprived.
Since the strike started, FG has committee 100B for infrastructure and 30 B for earned allowances (no other administration has done this much)
In the same meeting, President said that despite the increased budgetary funding to Education by 450B, he will also mobilise 200 B in fulfillment of the agreement for the next 4 years.[/s]

Crap. what has this got to do with fullfilment of signed agreement. ASUU isnt asking for anything new. Fulfill agreement, at least start fullfilling. It took years and resources to get that agreement. They arent even asking for 100% implementation. Jonathan believes by doing his own thing its ok. U seems to be as foolish as him

/quote]

8 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by excell12go(m): 12:48pm On Nov 28, 2013
Mandelaguy:

President Jonathan told ASUU (and the facts are verifiable) that he is the president who has invested more in Education than any other.

In the same meeting, President said that despite the increased budgetary funding to Education by 450B, he will also mobilise 200 B in fulfillment of the agreement for the next 4 years.

So what is ASUU's problem? Since you were born, have you heard of any President that offered this much to ASUU just to call off a strike?
It's so unfortunate that politics has beclouded our sense of reasoning in this country.
President GEJ has tried, let FG go ahead to reopen the schools and it will be a popular move as you can see from comments on this thread

If JONATHAN is really serious with these promises of his, why is he finding it difficult to put it in writing with his signature and official stamp
So you want ASUU to call off now and go on strike again next year if He(Jonathan) fails to honour his 'air promises' abi?

8 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Demdem(m): 12:51pm On Nov 28, 2013
Law-confessor:

All i could see is speech from d very DARK side of HATRED.
Onye mmuo. grin

So hatred to u is holding ur govt accountable to their words right

3 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Demdem(m): 12:53pm On Nov 28, 2013
excell12go:

If JONATHAN is really serious with these promises of his, why is he finding it difficult to put it in writing with his signature and official stamp
So you want ASUU to call off now and go on strike again next year if He(Jonathan) fails to honour his 'air promises' abi?

Excellent questions. Fools would love to dodge it grin

4 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by excell12go(m): 12:54pm On Nov 28, 2013
Puntae:

Hey! Stop fooling yourself trying to defend the indefensible. This your argument would have made sense if it came up before the last meeting that President Jonathan had with the ASUU leaders. There is time for everything.
The President came down from his high horse to discuss with ASUU. One expected that should have gone a long way to resolve the whole crisis but ASUU apears adamant and intent on wreaking havoc on the system.

The decay in the system did not start today. It was neither caused by Jonathan. Even the man who was president and signed the 2009 agreement did not give ASUU a kobo. They just woke up 5 years later to hold GEJ to ransome. Yet the President has obliged them with over 200 billion but they are still playing politics. If I were the president, I would have sacked all of them a long time ago.

If the bolded was really meant, then he sholdnt find it difficult to make it formal now. If he prepares d document duly signed and stamped, he can be sued next year if he fails to honour it.
Let's stop thinking about the shortrun and 'project' into the longrun. What if he pays next year and 2015 and refuse to pay in 2016? Will ASUU go on strike again?

3 Likes

Re: FG Directs Federal Universities To Re-Open Immediately by Demdem(m): 12:55pm On Nov 28, 2013
kentorito:

Its obvious you are not informed. Please do more of reading than pale criticism

Spill out what we may have missed. Waiting.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Government Officials Who Have Developed Health Issues During Corruption Probe / Boko Haram Terrorists Intercept 10 Vehicles, Kidnap Travelers In Borno / President Jonathan Appoints Interim Ministers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.