Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,014 members, 7,799,463 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:48 PM

Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? (37351 Views)

3.5g Hsdpa Universal Internet Modem For As Low As N5,799 / Price Of Mtn 3.5g Modems / How Do I Configure Mtn 3.5g Usb Modem To Share Internet To 5 Pc's Using Router (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by DualCore1: 1:12am On Aug 17, 2008
Oyaletor:

@dual core

abeg i dey use starcomms destop phone for browsing, is it any different from the EVDO your talking about
yea its different. we don already talk for yim and i've explained.

mactao:

What's your experience like?
its perfect for me cUz i've got evdo coverage in my area. if u dont have evdo, it switches to 1x and tht's wen u start crawling. i think i prefer it over MTN since its obvious i dont have bandwidth limit.

i'm downloading a movie at 120 kb/s now. . . it should increase as we go further into the night.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by texazzpete(m): 3:29pm On Aug 17, 2008
I was so close to getting the MTN thingy.

but with this data limit, it's a deal breaker.

Nigerians are such silly sheep. Vote with your wallets until MTn gets rid of this limit. if not you'll be scared to watch a single Youtube movie.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by texazzpete(m): 3:35pm On Aug 17, 2008
From the MTN website

50MB data can be used to retrieve over 1000 emails, surf over 1500 WAP pages and download 25 songs.

like hell. they estimate a song = 2MB. In which planet?!
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by scorpio1(m): 10:18pm On Aug 17, 2008
I use Mtn Fastlink now but what it's showing me here is 3g and not 3.5g,is there anyway to switch to the 3.5g?
Also, i heard that Izap plays video streamlessly just like the Mtn fast link, i have not verified Izap but i give thumbs up to Mtn Based on the Video(I watch cnn and yahoo news streamlessly online).
My 3g is at 3.6Mbps.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by samir101ng(m): 11:42pm On Aug 17, 2008
Chei !!! Na wa o !
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by texazzpete(m): 8:41am On Aug 18, 2008
scorpio1:

I use Mtn Fastlink now but what it's showing me here is 3g and not 3.5g,is there anyway to switch to the 3.5g?
Also, i heard that Izap plays video streamlessly just like the Mtn fast link, i have not verified Izap but i give thumbs up to Mtn Based on the Video(I watch cnn and yahoo news streamlessly online).
My 3g is at 3.6Mbps.

3.5G = 3G with HSDPA.

The extra '.5G' is needlessly thrown in by MTN for marketing purposes.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by Bossman(m): 11:30am On Aug 18, 2008
Absolutely!

texazzpete:

The extra '.5G' is needlessly thrown in by MTN for marketing purposes.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by slyk2(m): 11:32am On Aug 18, 2008
A trial will convince you.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by DualCore1: 11:51am On Aug 18, 2008
with mtn's download speed of above 300kb/s, i'll finish my monthly bandwidth of 3gig in a day. after then what? i have to go pay like i'm paying to renew the subsription?
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by memento: 11:58am On Aug 18, 2008
Please i have a pcmcia gprs card, if i insert the mtn data sim into it what will be the effect? does it mean it will give me just the gprs speed??
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by adewaleafolabi(m): 3:44pm On Aug 18, 2008
What would happen if we all called customer care and complain about the data limit ? Or mail their customer care and lodge our complains ?
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by DualCore1: 4:26pm On Aug 18, 2008
LoL, which customer care? the silly 180 people or a repented set of customer care? lol.
mehn dont even waste ur time.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by samir101ng(m): 12:02am On Aug 19, 2008
Dual Core:

with mtn's download speed of above 300kb/s, i'll finish my monthly bandwidth of 3gig in a day. after then what? i have to go pay like i'm paying to renew the subsription?

The subscription payment for the "monthly" is once a month with a data limit of 3GB until the next due payment date, So, baba dual core if you don chop your 3GB limit within a day as a result of fast speed overdose, you will have to wait until the next cycle. P.S ( hehe grin grin hope you are no longer having plantain troubles)

memento:

Please i have a pcmcia gprs card, if i insert the mtn data sim into it what will be the effect? does it mean it will give me just the gprs speed??

Yes, you can only be able to browse at GPRS speeds of 56 kilobits to a maximum 0f 114 kilobits. You will need a pcmcia card that supports 3G speeds before you will be able to enjoy the service and fast downloads.

adewaleafolabi:

What would happen if we all called customer care and complain about the data limit ? Or mail their customer care and lodge our complains ?

Dual Core:

LoL, which customer care? the silly 180 people or a repented set of customer care? lol.
mehn don't even waste your time.

Sad but true. MTN is supposed to have an unlimited bandwidht plan for its customers no matter how expensive at first. Its even better to get the starcomms izap with its unlimited bandwidht limit than that of MTN no matter how fast it is. And am sure the speed of the starcomms izap is okay when you have full coverage. Abi baba dual core ? grin grin grin grin
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by flyuche(m): 12:24am On Aug 19, 2008
a 1MB file took just 2 seconds to download! i must confess this is better than starcomms izap or EVDO. you can also use your 3G phone as a modem. i hope they keep it up! i live in PH. only MTN has its 3G running here.

Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by memento: 10:39am On Aug 19, 2008
Please anyone know if I can get the Pcmcia data card that supports 3g in the market? and what the price goes for?? If i am going to use my phone as a modem please whch 3g phone comes handy and affordable, plus ease of connection to laptop. Thanks guys. I cant wait to try the 3g. And is the prepaid still available, someone shld pls confirm.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by DualCore1: 2:05pm On Aug 19, 2008
Flyuche, d fact tht u can download 1mb in 2 seconds is d more reason u will use up ur ration in 2 days. Bottom line is, if u r a massive downloader, dont go near mtn. Mtn 3g speed is best 4 our daddies and mummies who want to check their mailz at break-neck speed.
Samir, yes o, starcomms evdo is jst perfect. I don download about 5gig dis month, wont b surprised if i get a text from them, hehehe.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:28pm On Aug 19, 2008
Would one still have to go behind a proxy ? cause thats really limiting.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by flyuche(m): 9:29pm On Aug 19, 2008
@memento. the service is available to prepaid customers. but it's funny how the mtn customer care guys know nothing or little about the service. i called 180, 216 and got nothing useful from them.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by flyuche(m): 9:34pm On Aug 19, 2008
@Dual core. i guess i was just curious.

Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by iyke2k4(m): 10:22pm On Aug 19, 2008
VISAFONE IS STILL THE BEST.ALTHOUGH THEY HAD A LIITLE PROBLEM SOMETIMES IN THE PAST.
BUT THEIR SERVICE IS SUPERB AT THE MOMENT.

ALSO THEY HAVE PLANS OF LAUNCHING WIMAX VERY SOON.

I LOVE VISA, my passport to reach the world
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by samir101ng(m): 5:00am On Aug 20, 2008
iyke2k4:

VISAFONE IS STILL THE BEST.ALTHOUGH THEY HAD A LIITLE PROBLEM SOMETIMES IN THE PAST.
BUT THEIR SERVICE IS SUPERB AT THE MOMENT.

ALSO THEY HAVE PLANS OF LAUNCHING WIMAX VERY SOON.

I LOVE VISA, my passport to reach the world

No, visaphone is not the best. This is because 3.5G is the fastest mobile technology we have currently in nigeria and visaphone doesnt offer this service on their network. Secondly, visaphone doesnt have enough coverage. They are just covering towns like kaduna, kano and others. We will talk later when they launch their wimax network.

adewaleafolabi:

Would one still have to go behind a proxy ? cause thats really limiting.

Thats also a very important question. When browsing through most vsat connections you get access behind a proxy server either here in naija or where your isp is located like uk, israel, canada, etc. This is how the internet sites block credit cards coming from nigeria because of 419. Having a direct ip address to the internet will help a lot especially when downloading music or movies using p2p programs like emule, bearshare, limeware etc. However, you are more prone to viruses, malware etc
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by adewaleafolabi(m): 1:40pm On Aug 20, 2008
In short i don strategize how to ration the bandwitch.
Mtn 101
since 1024mb = 1gb
therefore 3gb = 1024*3 = 3072
Now 31days = 3072
1day: 3072/31=99mb

That is to say you shouldn't use more than 99mb per day.

I care less about viruses cause i don't use microsoft windows, am a linux user. So the question still holds is it a direct connection ?
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by 1388tintin: 4:45pm On Aug 20, 2008
i bought the so called evdo/izap from starcomms about 2 weeks ago and was (am still) receiving 1x connection. stormed their durban street office here in abuja and laid my complain. the techy there told me to bear with them for another 1week because they were upgrading the type of modem i had (usb) from 1x to evdo. fraud! rip off!!! why didnt anybody ever tell me i was going to get a crawling 1x connection when i was paying for evdo? i feel so cheated and frustrated after starcomms zapping 27500 from my lean pocket. iam not done here because i intend to take this up to any level, how can they be selling a service they are not offering? i should have gone for the mtn 3.5g,
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by flyuche(m): 5:30pm On Aug 20, 2008
@1388. It's sad. I am sure they gave you a modem that doesn't support EVDO or you don't have the coverage where you have been using the modem. Otherwise Starcomms has EVDO Rev. A technology in Abuja which delivers faster download speeds than the Rev. O currently deployed in Lagos and Portharcourt.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by flyuche(m): 6:08pm On Aug 20, 2008
The 3 Gig data cap on MTN 3.5G is not the issue. It's something called fair usage policy. It's like that in some European countries. The issue is price! It's damn expensive and yet we don't get the desire download speeds almost all the times. Speed sometimes depends on the available bandwith from the service provider. It doesn't matter the technology; 3G , EVDO, WIMAX or Vsat or even fibre optics. What has happen here in Nigeria is that these operators do not have enough bandwith on their networks. Imagine getting below 10kb/s download speed on EVDO or 3G network! God help us in this country.
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by DualCore1: 8:30pm On Aug 20, 2008
1388tintin:

i bought the so called evdo/izap from starcomms about 2 weeks ago and was (am still) receiving 1x connection. stormed their durban street office here in abuja and laid my complain. the techy there told me to bear with them for another 1week because they were upgrading the type of modem i had (usb) from 1x to evdo. fraud! rip off!!! why didnt anybody ever tell me i was going to get a crawling 1x connection when i was paying for evdo? i feel so cheated and frustrated after starcomms zapping 27500 from my lean pocket. iam not done here because i intend to take this up to any level, how can they be selling a service they are not offering? i should have gone for the mtn 3.5g,
u're outside 3g coverage area.
they shoulda found out details about ur location before issuing u the card. sorry brurv (but no carry dem go court o, if u do, my own don finish tongue)
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by CHIMSKY(m): 8:33pm On Aug 20, 2008
I HAVE 3 QUESTIONS

1.HOW MUCH DOES INITIAL INSTALLATION OF THE MTN DATACARD/SIM COST AND WHAT IS THE BILLING SYSTEM LIKE?
I ALREADY HAVE GLO DATACARD WHICH CHARGES LIKE CRAZY.

2.WHAT IS THE FIXED MONTHLY FEE/SUBSCRIPTION FOR THE MTN DATACARD?

3.FINALLY,WHERE EXACTLY CAN THIS MTN SERVICE BE ACCESSED?IS IT ONLY A LAGOS ,ABUJA, PH THING OR CAN IT GET TO OTHER PLACES?
CALL CHIMSKY  AT 0705-570-5004
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by DualCore1: 8:45pm On Aug 20, 2008
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by adewaleafolabi(m): 9:54pm On Aug 20, 2008
Oh someone answer my question. Is this mtn connection a direct one or would i have to go behind a proxy ?
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by 1388tintin: 10:02pm On Aug 20, 2008
@dualcore thanks but i forgot to tell u my location-garki2 which is really in the heart of town. again checking the properties tells me iam using an evdo modem but yet i get only 1x service. i might just have to take another trip to that little office of theirs but this time around i cannot guarrantee what might be the outcome undecided IAM REALLY PISSED angry
Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by flyuche(m): 10:45pm On Aug 20, 2008
check this

Re: Mtn 3.5g Data Service: How Good? by flyuche(m): 11:22pm On Aug 20, 2008
trying to download nokia pc suite latest version using my mtn 3G. not so impressive today.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

5 Gadgets That Are All Hype And Overpriced / Surf The Web Anonymously! / Easy Steps To Format A Window7 Computer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.