Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,226 members, 7,807,760 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:33 PM

Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan (31734 Views)

FG Re-opens Talks With ASUU Over Strike / FG Can't Meet With ASUU Demands - Okonjo-Iweala / FG Holds Crucial Talks With ASUU Today -releases N100bn To Suswam-led Committee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by Larsody(m): 5:09pm On Nov 30, 2013
Why I am angry with ASUU – Jonathan - The Eagle Online:

Jonathan said: “What ASUU is doing is no longer trade union.

“I have intervened in other labour issues before now.

“Once I invite them, they respond and after the meeting they take decision and call off the strike.

“At times, we don’t even give them a long notice unlike in the case of ASUU that were given four-day notice before the meeting.

“As you are meeting to resolve trade disputes, you expect the trade unions to get their officials ready.

“What was expected having met with the highest authority in the land for long hours was for ASUU to immediately issue a statement within 12 or latest 24 hours to state their position whether they were accepting government’s offer or not.

“And if they are not accepting they state the reason why.

“But despite the fact that I had the longest meeting with ASUU in my political history, we did not start that meeting until around 2pm and the meeting ended the next day in the early hours of the morning.

“As far as the government of Nigeria was concerned, all the critical people that should be in a meeting were there.

“So what else do they want?

“After that, they didn’t meet until one week, despite the fact that you met with the highest authority.

“It was unfortunate one of them, Prof. Festus Iyayi, died.

“The way ASUU has conducted the matter shows they were extreme and when iyayi died they now said the strike was now indefinite.

“Our children have been at home for over five months.”

Former Bayelsa State Governor, DSP Alamieyeseigha, had pleaded with the President to reconsider the December 4 deadline, calling his attention to the fact that the burial of Iyayi is fixed for that date.

Responding to this, Jonathan said: “We didn’t give them ultimatum.

“It was the Committee of Vice Chancellors that took that decision.

“The supervising minister of education only passed on the decision.

“What ASUU is doing is no longer trade dispute but subversive action.

“But like you rightly noted, so that we will not be perceived to be insensitive, we will consult on the deadline.”
http://theeagleonline.com.ng/news/why-i-am-angry-with-ASUU-jonathan-opens-up/

4 Likes

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by Spencer63(m): 5:33pm On Nov 30, 2013
excuse me.. why not just copy and paste the news here??.. Na u go gimme mb to check out that link?

6 Likes

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by roland2rule(m): 5:50pm On Nov 30, 2013
Why I am angry with ASUU –
Jonathan

Speaking Friday night at the Peoples Democratic
Party (PDP) state caucus meeting at the
Government House, Yenagoa, the President decried
ASUU’s refusal to call of its strike even after he met
with them for 13 hours

Share:
President Goodluck Jonathan has opened up on why
the Federal Government ordered lecturers of federal
universities to return to work within a week or lose
their jobs.
The Supervising Minister of Education, Nyesom
Wike, had on Thursday directed the Academic Staff
Union of Universities to call off its strike latest by
December 4.

Speaking on Friday night at the Bayelsa State
chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party caucus
meeting at the Government House, Yenagoa, the
President decried ASUU’s refusal to call of its strike
even after he met with them for 13 hours.
According to him, ASUU’s action is subversive,
adding that it was no longer unionism.
President Jonathan said the meeting he held with
ASUU officials, which was also attended by Vice
Namadi Sambo; the Secretary to the Government of
the Federation, Senator Anyim Pius Anyim; and
Ministers of Finance, Labour and Education was the
longest in his political career.
Jonathan said: “What ASUU is doing is no longer
trade union.
“I have intervened in other labour issues before
now.
“Once I invite them, they respond and after the
meeting they take decision and call off the strike.
“At times, we don’t even give them a long notice
unlike in the case of ASUU that were given four-day
notice before the meeting.
“As you are meeting to resolve trade disputes, you
expect the trade unions to get their officials ready.
“What was expected having met with the highest
authority in the land for long hours was for ASUU to
immediately issue a statement within 12 or latest
24 hours to state their position whether they were
accepting government’s offer or not.
“And if they are not accepting they state the reason
why.
“But despite the fact that I had the longest meeting
with ASUU in my political history, we did not start
that meeting until around 2pm and the meeting
ended the next day in the early hours of the
morning.
“As far as the government of Nigeria was
concerned, all the critical people that should be in a
meeting were there.
“So what else do they want?
“After that, they didn’t meet until one week,
despite the fact that you met with the highest
authority.
“It was unfortunate one of them, Prof. Festus Iyayi,
died.
“The way ASUU has conducted the matter shows
they were extreme and when iyayi died they now
said the strike was now indefinite.
“Our children have been at home for over five
months.”
Former Bayelsa State Governor, DSP
Alamieyeseigha, had pleaded with the President to
reconsider the December 4 deadline, calling his
attention to the fact that the burial of Iyayi is fixed
for that date.
Alamieyeseigha said people might see Jonathan as
insensitive.
Iyayi, a former President of ASUU, was killed by the
convoy of Governor Idris Wada of Kogi State while
on his way to Kano to attend the union’s National
Executive Council meeting called to take a decision
on fresh offers made by the Federal Government.
Responding to this, Jonathan said: “We didn’t give
them ultimatum.
“It was the Committee of Vice Chancellors that took
that decision.
“The supervising minister of education only passed
on the decision.
“What ASUU is doing is no longer trade dispute but
subversive action.
“But like you rightly noted, so that we will not be
perceived to be insensitive, we will consult on the
deadline.”
The President used the occasion to thank the
people of Bayelsa State for their prayers and
support, calling on the stakeholders to be united.
He added: “Any state the PDP is united, it will win
elections.
“I thank you for the unity in the state.
“I’m happy that the division in other states PDP is
not here.
“The unity is not automatic because as vice
president I knew what I passed through.
“This is the first time this dichotomy among Abuja
politicians and stakeholders in the state has been
removed and I’m grateful and I am happy the
governor is leading it.
“I’m glad that deadly virus has been killed.
“I’m against imposition though I am a leader of the
party, but I believe I need to negotiate and consult
for any appointment.
“If you disconnect from the grassroots, then you are
gone as a politician and I thank you (the governor)
for making this happen.”
The meeting, which was presided over by the state
PDP Chairman, retired Colonel Samuel Inokoba, was
also attended by the state’s Deputy Governor, John
Jonah; members of National Assembly from the
state; members of state assembly, members of
State Executive Council of the Peoples Democratic
Party; and the Deputy National Chairman.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by walad4yhu(m): 5:50pm On Nov 30, 2013

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by Damlesky(m): 6:25pm On Nov 30, 2013
*yawns

3 Likes

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by MaziOmenuko: 6:54pm On Nov 30, 2013
roland2rule: Why I am angry with ASUU –
Jonathan

1) Your anger isn't going to solve any problem!

roland2rule: The Supervising Minister of Education, Nyesom Wike, had on Thursday directed the Academic Staff Union of Universities to call off its strike latest by December 4.

2) No be today dem don dey threaten ASUU! The military did worse! Nyesom wike has no moral grounds since his children are all schooling at Ghana.

roland2rule:
“Once I invite them, they respond and after the meeting they take decision and call off the strike.

3) Like they did in 2009! You expect to be dishing out April fool jokes all round the year! Once beaten, twice shy!

roland2rule:
“What was expected having met with the highest authority in the land for long hours was for ASUU to
immediately issue a statement within 12 or latest 24 hours to state their position whether they were accepting government’s offer or not.

4) Sorry, but it took you 4 months + to realize you had to act: then you expect them to reach a resolution within 24 hours?

roland2rule: “So what else do they want?

4) They don't want verbal promises again! Bring together the stakeholders to sign the agreement! Simple!

roland2rule: “After that, they didn’t meet until one week,

5) Yea, one of your governors used their former president as a speed break! You're yet to send your condolence!

roland2rule: “Our children have been at home for over five months.”

6) Courtesy of your sluggishness and slothful approach to the matter.

roland2rule: “But like you rightly noted, so that we will not be perceived to be insensitive, we will consult on the deadline.”

7) If you like, put the army, police, airforce, customs and navy on campuses, no agreement, no lectures!

Case closed!

120 Likes

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by PezzoNovante(m): 7:19pm On Nov 30, 2013
the president is angry with ASUU, am angry with the President..

8 Likes

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by gandyluv(f): 7:49pm On Nov 30, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

2) No be today dem don dey threaten ASUU! The military did worse! Nyesom wike has no moral grounds since his children are all schooling at Ghana.

3) Like they did in 2009! You expect to be dishing out April fool jokes all round the year! Once beaten, twice shy!

4) Sorry, but it took you 4 months + to realize you had to act: then you expect them to reach a resolution within 24 hours?

4) They don't want verbal promises again! Bring together the stakeholders to sign the agreement! Simple!

5) Yea, one of your governors used their former president as a speed break! You're yet to send your condolence!

7) If you like, put the army, police, airforce, customs and navy on campuses, no agreement, no lectures!

Case closed!
pls tek it easy on d man

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by BCELLS(m): 8:23pm On Nov 30, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Case closed!
what would you do if you were in his shoes,go on your kneels for your employees before they can subscribe to what you can offer? you are here transferring aggression! hypocrite!

24 Likes

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by ayodeji752: 8:59pm On Nov 30, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Case closed!
silly arrogant ppl, dont return to class. Hope u hav enof land in ur village for farming sha? Wot do u hav to say abt ASUU telling nigerians dat d nec meeting has been postponed indefinitely after iyayi's death? D fact is dat ASUU doesn't pray federal govt honour d agreement so dat they can continue to stay at home and receive salary.lazy old fools

6 Likes

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by AmbFitsaint(m): 9:15pm On Nov 30, 2013
ayodeji752: silly arrogant ppl, dont return to class. Hope u hav enof land in ur village for farming sha? Wot do u hav to say abt ASUU telling nigerians dat d nec meeting has been postponed indefinitely after iyayi's death? D fact is dat ASUU doesn't pray federal govt honour d agreement so dat they can continue to stay at home and receive salary.lazy old fools

Do u know dat u ve just impertinently quoted a lecturer? As in, a whole lecturer!

R

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by otokx(m): 9:16pm On Nov 30, 2013
As usual they resort to insults when their arguments are weak.

Mazi_omenuko chop knuckle.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 30, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko:

Case closed!

if ASUU membees could not accept govt terms, they should resign and get another job.na by force. is ASUU paying govt or govt paying ASUU salaries. ASUU members are educated illiterates.

5 Likes

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by Sermwell(m): 3:56pm On Dec 01, 2013
Mr president is so on point! ASUU didn't conduct itself as a responsible association at all! They were just being non challant about the whole thing! Perharps that's why FG is angry and there seem not to be a headway in the matter!
Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by Akshow: 3:56pm On Dec 01, 2013
I'm with u on this one Mr presido. ASU own too much. Them wan turn am to something political and not unionism. Beside going by the interview of some levturers shown on channels tv days ago, many lecturers wanna go back to work. ASU should do the needful. Abeg.

So Alamesieyagha or whatever his name is still de get mouth for Naija political scene? Hmmmmmm shamelessness of the highest order.

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by otijah(m): 3:57pm On Dec 01, 2013
Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by Iaz93: 3:58pm On Dec 01, 2013
USELESS ASUU! angryangry

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by dwittyc0der(f): 3:59pm On Dec 01, 2013
Yea Yea I booked 19 today grin grin... we will all get one meat and viju milk cheesy
Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by Nobody: 3:59pm On Dec 01, 2013
Tell the president to yield to ASUU Demands

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by IAMBREEZY: 4:00pm On Dec 01, 2013
Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by Nobody: 4:02pm On Dec 01, 2013
I wanna make a shout out to ASUU ,please play them Nigeria jaga jaga by idris abdulkareem

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by Nobody: 4:05pm On Dec 01, 2013
And here we go again...same old story
Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by merbenko: 4:09pm On Dec 01, 2013
Allow the ASUU to stay untill hunger penetrate the lazy dogs. Bounch of fools.

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by israel007: 4:09pm On Dec 01, 2013
Rabbish ASUU

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by damola311: 4:11pm On Dec 01, 2013
Amb Fitsaint:

Do u know dat u ve just impertinently quoted a lecturer? As in, a whole lecturer!

R

Soo make we dey run?

2 Likes

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by Nobody: 4:11pm On Dec 01, 2013
Damlesky: *yawns
I go stone you fry pan ooh...you no dey cover mouth ❔

2 Likes

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by olorunthobby(f): 4:13pm On Dec 01, 2013
He is singing a different tone now...says 'we did not order ASUU....'. This man is not reliable at all! undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by lirusehn(m): 4:15pm On Dec 01, 2013
go boil stone
Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by tpapi: 4:16pm On Dec 01, 2013
ASUU go n die

1 Like

Re: Why I Am Angry With ASUU – Jonathan by gr3yb4ck(m): 4:16pm On Dec 01, 2013
Haven't you ppl realized that education in Nigeria is a scam.Before I gained admission into the University I was very brilliant, after 3yrs I was frustrated to d point that I doubted myself.

It is this strike that afforded me the oppurtunity to delve into my passion and develop my talent.I'm planning to put my certificate inside my locker and pursue my dreams.

Pls guys develop or find ur God given potential if you havent.Lecturers will never teach you to the point in which you will be capable of replacing them.They all want to become professor and retire the day they drop dead.For christ sake they have children.

---------EDUCATION IN NIGERIA IS A SCAM----------

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Sexual Harassment: You Will Pay Dearly If You Discredit Us, ASUU Warns Nigerians / Top 100 Best Secondary Schools In Nigeria / ASUU President, Emmanuel Osodeke, Asks Nigerians To Vote Out APC (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.