Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:16 AM

This ASUU Strike Must Be Different! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / This ASUU Strike Must Be Different! (880 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

This ASUU Strike Must Be Different! by infofirst(m): 11:33pm On Nov 30, 2013
One of my Respected Prof From Ui wrote this on FB and find below...

Each time ASUU goes on strike, many people go ahead to blackmail the Union that they are on strike for improved pay packets. And I ask, what is wrong with that? I mean what is wrong in ASUU fighting for better conditions of service in the University system? If they refuse to fight for themselves, who will fight for them? Again, each time ASUU ends strike action, beneficiaries are not only ASUU but everyone in the system including all tertiary institutions. Blackmailers or misinformed concerned commentators should know that ASUU members would not get more than their salaries in the case of improved conditions for education fought for by ASUU. Most of the time, after ASUU’s struggles, everyone in the system, including, those opposed to the strike benefit faster and even more. With due respect, UNILORIN for example for many years are usually not part of ASUU strike actions, but they get paid fallouts from ASUU struggles even before the Universities that fought for such. This strike is unfortunate and there would have been no need for it if our government had respected those they put in office for specific assignment. The Agreement reached with the Union in 2009 was due to review in 2012 and ASUU made it clear to government. Why did our government refuse to meet for the review? Even if there is no money as we are made to believe, the review meeting could have been so informed and I am very sure a resolution would be arrived at for example, that this and that would be done when conditions improve. This would have been more honorable than to just ignore the calls for the review meeting. In one of my earlier postings, I did say that ASUU’s concerns are about the future of education in Nigeria. Also, that at least 50% of those fighting for improved funding of education under the banner of ASUU now will be out of the system in another five years, some even in two years! Are they selfish or self-centered as some people claim? The little improvements in the universities today are fallouts from ASUU’s struggles. If there is improved pay, then our best brains would not have any reason to go to the banks to be mere tellers done by brilliant secondary school graduates in the past! The university administrators would have enough money to ensure improved conditions in the lecture halls, residential hostels for students, relatively stable electricity and water supply etc. etc. Although one may wish to say that the universities are no islands, to be excused from the shortage of electricity generated and supplied by ‘NEPA’ or PHCN, the fact is that the university cannot be run on epileptic situations of power and water supplies. Researches cannot be conducted in the absence of these two essential facilities. What then is the mission of a university without research? How do you generate knowledge without research? I think Government or ASUU should publicize the findings of the Committee on NEEDS Assessment of Nigerian Public Universities [put up by Government itself] for the generality of Nigerians to see and then ponder whether ASUU was making unreasonable demands. One of the recommendations in that NEEDS Assessment, for example, is to increase the present academic staff strength from 28, 000 to 50, 000. Yet our government is being advised to recruit academic staff from internally and externally! Is it so that we can have mediocre universities or mediocre academics? THIS STRIKE MUST BE DIFFERENT FROM THE PREVIOUS ONES. ASUU should take this struggle to a logical conclusion that would forestall incessant strikes by any Union in the University. Government should be humble enough to understand this rather than threatening to sack the ‘striking’ lecturers that are grossly inadequate! Who caused the strike?

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Study In India / Pls I Nid Cowbell Maths Competition Topics / Apply For Admission At School Of Nursing Kano For 2015/2016 Call_08030734709

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.