Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,946 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:26 PM

Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? (2818 Views)

Catholic Church Cautions El-Rufai Over Religious Bill / Catholic Church Collapses In Enugu, Five Dead / Pentecostal Pastors Are Satanic Agents - True worshipers Be Very Careful! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by sakaguchi(m): 12:05pm On Dec 01, 2013
I have been going to the Catholic church for a better part of my life, so you can imagine how dazed I was when I saw a Parish Priest in our church on campus (NFCS) asking for tithe. All my life, never have I heard that from a priest. I glossed over it imagining it to be one of the many zeit geist people on campus do to fill among, deep in my heart, I knew something was wrong somewhere. University and new pattern I guess! What has however left me appalled is that when I came back home and attended mass, our new parish priest asked for tithes. I asked my siblings and they said he has been doing so since he was posted there some months back.
My question is to those enlightened folks out there, is it right for catholic priest to demand tithes? Do they tight in the vatican? This quote below proves otherwise.
1351 From the very beginning Christians have
brought, along with the bread and wine for the
Eucharist, gifts to share with those in need.
This custom of the collection, ever appropriate,
is inspired by the example of Christ who
became poor to make us rich: Those who are
well off, and who are also willing, give as
each chooses. What is gathered is given to
him who presides to assist orphans and
widows, those whom illness or any other cause
has deprived of resources, prisoners,
immigrants and, in a word, all who are in need.
Of course, this doesn't mean they don't give. And
Catholics are obligated to give, according to
ability. This isn't just semantics, there's a
difference between the two.
A tithe in this context isn't just an offering, it's a
specific percentage of a person's salary that the
person must give to their church, usually under
pain of sin. This was required by the Old Law, but
is no longer required. Charity (a special formal
word that means love) obliges us to give, though.
How the offering is gathered might depend on the
particular parish, but it's roughly what you'd
expect.
Sometimes, some of us even sing a song about
this issue. Some of the lyrics go:
♫ O, come and eat without money. Come to
drink without price.
My feast of gladness will feed your spirit with
faith and fullness of life.
By "feast" we mean the Most Holy Eucharist, the
Most Sacred Blood, God literally present before us,
just as He was Himself present before St Thomas
the doubter.
We sing that song being mindful of Isaiah 55:
1 All you who are thirsty,
come to the water!
You who have no money,
come, buy grain and eat;
Come, buy grain without money,
wine and milk without cost!
2 Why spend your money for what is not
bread;
your wages for what does not satisfy?
Only listen to me, and you shall eat well,
you shall delight in rich fare.
However, again from the Catechism:
2043 [...] The faithful also have the duty
of providing for the material needs of the
Church, each according to his own
abilities.
On the obligation to give, 2 Corinthians 9:
6 Consider this: whoever sows sparingly will
also reap sparingly, and whoever sows
bountifully will also reap bountifully.b 7 Each
must do as already determined, without
sadness or compulsion, for God loves a
cheerful giver.
Addressing the Old Law, Romans 13:
8 Owe nothing to anyone, except to love one
another;
for the one who loves another has fulfilled the
law.
A person who has love for her Church will give an
appropriate offering. In the same way that St John
took care of Holy Mary, so too do
we presently seek to take care of the Christ's
Bride until she is reunited with Him at the end of
time. In turn, she takes care of those who are in
need (the Catholic Church is, among other things,
a really, really big decentralized charity).

Now that we are at it, I know the catholic church to be one of the biggest (if not the biggest) charity givers in the world, why is the church in Nigeria tilted more on collecting like Oliver Twist rather than give?

For instance, we do Harvest and Bazaar, is this practice done in the vatican? I searched for "harvest and bazaar catholic" via google and most of the results that came out are for Nigerian churches.
Do they do harvest and bazaar in the vatican?
Do they do planting? Because our church does planting - where individual come with cash accompanied by 1/2 of the whole congregation in church, all of them dropping cash.
Is tithing, harvest and planting not the same thing?
What about second offerings. We do second offering almost every other Sundays. Then when its month end, the parishioners are divided into 5 zones where each zones bring cash and foodstuffs, all these they call "FEEDING OF THE REVEREND FATHER." You need to see the foodstuffs on display, and all the troopers to the altar go to the altar with cash. Then when a seminarian comes to visit, the priest does not take from some of those foodstuffs which he knows he can't finish to see the seminarian off, we'll have to do a second offering or third one for the visitor?
My question is, the first offering, is it not for the priest? Why is he now being fed again? Why is he demanding for tithes? Why can't he be generous and spare us 2nd offering by helping the student seminarian? What is planting?
Then the most important offering, called "helping the poor" by St. Vincent de Paul. Why is it made to be the last offering, is it not the essence of Christianity? Helping the people should be the 1st ot 2nd offering if you ask me.
I think the catholic church in Nigeria is drifting to the pentecostal line yet they always have remonstration at Pentecostals for doing this as if we don't do it.
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Dec 01, 2013
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by KillMoves: 12:35pm On Dec 01, 2013
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by nwaobitex: 1:16pm On Dec 01, 2013
Kill Moves: .
angry
Kill Moves: .
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by sakaguchi(m): 1:23pm On Dec 01, 2013
nwaobitex: angry
Like seriously o
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by bizmahn: 2:02pm On Dec 01, 2013
Most catholics here have bashed pentecostals over this "pastor enrichment" thing while holding the catholic church innocent of such.Now we know better.Thanks for your sincerity.
But note that its not wrong to give to assist pastors or priests who are sincerely labouring over the flock with much sacrifice.Some gave up lucrative jobs & businesses & great future careers to answer the call.
Rather its wrong when they begin to amass wealth they don't need at the expense of the poor followers.
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by sakaguchi(m): 2:14pm On Dec 01, 2013
bizmahn: Most catholics here have bashed pentecostals over this "pastor enrichment" thing while holding the catholic church innocent of such.Now we know better.Thanks for your sincerity.
But note that its not wrong to give to assist pastors or priests who are sincerely labouring over the flock with much sacrifice.Some gave up lucrative jobs & businesses & great future careers to answer the call.
Rather its wrong when they begin to amass wealth they don't need at the expense of the poor followers.

No it is not wrong, (st paul ordains that those who preach the gosple should live by the gospel).
My problem is the duplicity in a single thing, cheerful giving have been replicated to different status.
Helping the poor offering is suppose to be the 2nd offering.
If there is any emergency in the church, another offering is ok.
Catholics are admonished to give generously, from what I quoted in my write-up above, tithing is not a catholic principle. Tithing, Harvest and Planting to me are all tithing, Catholics come online to bash other churches on this and while in our parish, we see it and do nothing.
The priests are housed, given cars, given gifts aplenty during harvest and collect offertory every mass (sometimes mass is 3 times evenings every week, 7 times every morning and twice on sundays. The offertory in all these belongs to the priest)
That to me is enough.
When they don't give helping hand to the poor in the church, come to church and ask for special feeding offering, do planting, harvest and bazaar and lastly collect tithe, they hence have no moral capital to chastise the pentecostals.
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by Liskate(f): 3:23pm On Dec 01, 2013
No, the catholic is not turning pentecostal by asking for tithe. Parishes in abeokuta here ask their parishoners to pay tithe though not compulsory. I think because it's nt compulsory is why most parishes don't ask. It is not a new thing.
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by sakaguchi(m): 4:05pm On Dec 01, 2013
Liskate: No, the catholic is not turning pentecostal by asking for tithe. Parishes in abeokuta here ask their parishoners to pay tithe though not compulsory. I think because it's nt compulsory is why most parishes don't ask. It is not a new thing.
Well, don't you think its a new thing happening probably only in Nigeria when churches collect tithes, hold harvest and still do plantings? The church is universal and I think these practices are local and only seen in Nigeria.
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by okpurukata(f): 4:57pm On Dec 01, 2013
Thanks ops for bringing this up. Firstly, the Sunday generall offertory does not belong to the priest. 70% or thereabouts goes to the diosces depending on each diosces. The balance goes to the church account. The priest spends these funds with the approval of the parish pastoral council. At least you know what PPC means.
The week day mass collections goes to the priest. Majorly, second collections, effort Sundays, and harvest and thanks giving days are when the parish actually builds up funds for itself. Tithing, started in my parish last year. I was meant to understand that some Catholics were being approached by these pastors to pay monthly tithe to their Pentecostal churches. These parishionsers are the ones that opted to pay their tithe in the church, rather than give to a business pastor. Hence it is purely not compulsory in my parish.

The catholic doctrines maintains that we give heartily, but also from our heart and without compulsion. There is no thunder and brimstone attached to your not giving the tithe. But truth remains that most people even give more than 10% monthly by the time you give all the offerings required. And God will continue to bless the cheerful giver. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 01, 2013
@0P

Asking for tithes,bazaar or whatsorever here is not the big deal but did he say it was compulsory or that God will curse those who don't tithe or give during bazaar?
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by sakaguchi(m): 6:17pm On Dec 01, 2013
chukwudi44: @0P

Asking for tithes,bazaar or whatsorever here is not the big deal but did he say it was compulsory or that God will curse those who don't tithe or give during bazaar?
Well, he never said it was compulsory, but he blessed those who paid with a prayer full of rhapsody, they gathered round the altar where he rained down blessings on them for over 5minutes. He doesn't do this during general offering or when one gives to St. Vincent the Paul. That's something if you ask me. Today, the priest quoted Malachi 3:8 and even went as far to say that one sunday can no longer be tithe sunday, he said people should prepare for tithe next week (those of us who didn't bring in tithe today).
Besides, the question is, are this practice done in the Vatican? If not, then this is an alien doctrine springing up from Nigeria.
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by Demainman1: 6:44pm On Dec 01, 2013
Yes, Nigeria Catholic churches are turning Pentecostal. Maybe it is this 'If you can beat them join them thingy'
Where i live there is nothing like tithe in the catholic church.
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 01, 2013
sakaguchi:
Well, he never said it was compulsory, but he blessed those who paid with a prayer full of rhapsody, they gathered round the altar where he rained down blessings on them for over 5minutes. He doesn't do this during general offering or when one gives to St. Vincent the Paul. That's something if you ask me. Today, the priest quoted Malachi 3:8 and even went as far to say that one sunday can no longer be tithe sunday, he said people should prepare for tithe next week (those of us who didn't bring in tithe today).
Besides, the question is, are this practice done in the Vatican? If not, then this is an alien doctrine springing up from Nigeria.
Bros once again once he did not say it is compulsory he did not run foul of the church doctrine.That's is the official position of the catholic church.Tithe if you want but is not compulsory.The priest always prays for those who make donations in church tithe or no tithe.
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by sakaguchi(m): 7:47pm On Dec 01, 2013
okpurukata: Thanks ops for bringing this up. Firstly, the Sunday generall offertory does not belong to the priest. 70% or thereabouts goes to the diosces depending on each diosces. The balance goes to the church account.
Well, I won't say I am sure about this for a fact, back when I was an altar buy, after serving mass in an out station, we (the altar boys) simply take the whole offertory box to the priest's car, no 30% or 70% calculation is done, I don't see the local church council coming for 30%, we simply take our thanksgiving and offertory to the car and off we go to our parish with the priest.
As I said, I don't know for a fact if it is shared (diocese and PPC). Is it? Are you sure?

The priest spends these funds with the approval of the parish pastoral council. At least you know what PPC means.
The week day mass collections goes to the priest. Majorly, second collections, effort Sundays, and harvest and thanks giving days are when the parish actually builds up funds for itself.
Thanks giving belongs to the priest, that one I know for sure. Harvest is 2/3 for parish, 1/3 for the priest, in my parish, that's how it was done when I was an altar boy. Planting, I never heard of Planting before until 2005. Is that how it is done worldwide? Do they do planting in Rome?

Tithing, started in my parish last year. I was meant to understand that some Catholics were being approached by these pastors to pay monthly tithe to their Pentecostal churches. These parishionsers are the ones that opted to pay their tithe in the church, rather than give to a business pastor. Hence it is purely not compulsory in my parish.
Last year, was it sanctioned by the pope or the church? Ok, so if a witchdoctor say parishioners should bring 10 white cocks every week and 2 bottles of schnapp, will the parish tell the parishioners to start bringing it to church? I thought we are suppose to say the truth at all times? If the universal church did not tell us to tithe, our local parishes in Nigeria have to right to say so.
If someone ask me what "catholic" mean, I'll say universal, if they ask "is it universal?" I'll say yes. But how true will my last answer be if they don't tithe in Canada, they don't tithe in Mexico, they don't tithe in Brazil, they don't tithe in Rome, Jerusalem, Islamabad, Seoul, Manila; they don't tithe in all of these places but they do so in Nigeria. I think it is wrong and we should tell our priests immediately.
Why must we do what the pentecostals do? The church stands is that we should GIVE CHEERFULLY AND GENEROUSLY. The early church in acts did not tithe, they gave generously. The parable of the woman and the pharisee, the woman did not tithe, she gave generously. She gave her last dime (100%), she didn't give 10%, she gave generously. That's what our Church preach, our local church should not water the universal teaching, its WRONG.

The catholic doctrines maintains that we give heartily, but also from our heart and without compulsion. There is no thunder and brimstone attached to your not giving the tithe. But truth remains that most people even give more than 10% monthly by the time you give all the offerings required. And God will continue to bless the cheerful giver. Hope this helps.
My question was:
Do they tithe in Rome?
Do they do planting in Rome?
Do they do Harvest and Bazaar in Rome?
Do they ask parishioners to do another offering after all the usual one called "feeding of the Reverend Father?"
These are my questions.
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by sakaguchi(m): 8:28pm On Dec 01, 2013
chukwudi44: @0P

The big deal is, is these how it is done in the vatican and worldwide?
Its a big deal to me if our local church start teaching alien practices and steering a different course. I think it is a big deal.
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by sakaguchi(m): 8:30pm On Dec 01, 2013
Demain_man: Yes, Nigeria Catholic churches are turning Pentecostal. Maybe it is this 'If you can beat them join them thingy'
That's it bro! Some places are just starting it, some other places have never heard of it, some other places have started preaching against people forfeiting it (like my parish), yet it is not a Catholic tradition.
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by sakaguchi(m): 8:33pm On Dec 01, 2013
chukwudi44:
Bros once again once he did not say it is compulsory he did not run foul of the church doctrine.That's is the official position of the catholic church.Tithe if you want but is not compulsory.The priest always prays for those who make donations in church tithe or no tithe.

Bros listen, today, our priest said, "IF WE DON'T PAY TITHE, WE'RE ROBBING GOD BECAUSE IT IS NOT OUR OWN"
That to me is a high case of persuasion, he was only shot of saying defaulters will go to hell, but the way he put it, there is some compulsion in it.
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Dec 01, 2013
But you stil can't compare a priest and a pastor amassing wealth cuz while the priest has no family to take care of and when he dies,whatever he owns belongs to the church but ur pastors have family responsibilities and other matterial needs to take care of!

Mind you op the parish priest is not the only signatory to the church account.the church councl excos are part of it.
As for tithe,its done in the catholic church but its never pronounced cuz the envelops and boxes are kept at the entrance of the church and maybe ur parishioners were not paying at all for the priest to start saying it.
As for the begging of foodstuff,well I don't know,depends on ur parish cuz in mine church of assumption asokoro, I hv never heard of money for feeding of the priest cuz parishioners give freely so may be yours is a poor parish or you parishioners are stingy and need to be begged to feed ur priest you know fully well isn't working.
For eg I served in a very remote village in nasarawa,the people were very poor farmers,a sunday's offering can be 500naira or less thou there was no priest but sometyms the priest who stays in the nxt local govt(which is 2hrs drive away)might come.
We,corpers had to write and beg for a priest so the missionary seminary had to start sending us seminarians, u won't believe these missionaries sleep in the church store! And there was no toilet!Imagine how embarasing it was for them going to the church chairman's house or corpers lodge to freshen up! I went back to my parish in abj,met some people and was able to erect a toilet in eweeks cuz every sunday I had to keep begging the parishioners to donate but they wudnt even corpers were nt helping matters. Even to donate and help feed these missionaries was a problem.So its such people that will go out and say the church begs too much!

bizmahn: Most catholics here have bashed pentecostals over this "pastor enrichment" thing while holding the catholic church innocent of such.Now we know better.Thanks for your sincerity.
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by Nobody: 11:03pm On Dec 01, 2013
Seriously I don't wanna go hard on you but u making me mad @ u cuz u sounding silly! Are u saying all these for the protestants to praise u?
These men move from one station to another every four years,order from above and you claim to house them as if you built the house for that particular priest!
Or do you expect them to do their work walking on foot? Mind you most of the missionary priest especially the ones being sent to poor countries suffer terribly!
The church in Nigeria stil takes care of these parishes and priests in poor countries!

The whole offertory is not for the priest but the church and whatever the church council gives him is what he will take!and r type give 50naira for offering and come here spilling thrash!
Who told you the harvest money is for the priest?he doesn't even have signatory to the harvest account! Even the anglicans whose priests marry don't have access to their harvest money
Do u know the church donated over 100million to the phillipines and stil doing more,they are our brothers cuz just like mexico and brazil they are 80%catholics but the church didn't announce the donation but the pentecostal association that gave 10million was even airing theirs!meanwhl their pastors own jets worth billions!
Even our pope doesn't own a jet and is not as if the church can't afford it for him but ours is not a life of luxury but that doesn't mean they should live wretched after sacrificing their life to God!
Why don't you become a priest an see how easy it is.

Pls its never too late to leave if you want to cuz I can see that ur protestant girlfrnd is now turning ur head or better still convert to islam where u will be paid for doing so.

sakaguchi:

No it is not wrong, (st paul ordains that those who preach the gosple should live by the gospel).
My problem is the duplicity in a single thing, cheerful giving have been replicated to different status.
Catholics are admonished to give generously, from what I quoted in my write-up above, tithing is not a catholic principle. Tithing, Harvest and Planting to me are all tithing, Catholics come online to bash other churches on this and while in our parish, we see it and do nothing.
The priests are housed, given cars, given gifts aplenty during harvest and collect offertory every mass (sometimes mass is 3 times evenings every week, 7 times every morning and twice on sundays. The offertory in all these belongs to the priest)
That to me is enough.
When they don't give helping hand to the poor in the church, come to church and ask for special feeding offering, do planting, harvest and bazaar and lastly collect tithe, they hence have no moral capital to chastise the pentecostals.
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by freeradical(m): 11:53pm On Dec 01, 2013
@ op: You speak out of ignorance as to how the Nigerian catholic churches finance demselves. I hope you know that the vatican receives money from the church in Nigeria and notthe other way round. Tithing is voluntary in the catholic church but neva imposed on anyone but it beats me that your priest shud compel you guys to tithe saying that by not tithing you rob God. Be that as it may you shud thread with caution as to how you go about ur frustrations with your priests.Hope you know that they are human too and not perfect. Speak no ill against Christ's priests. If you feel your parish priest is mis-managing your parish funds best you can do is pray for him and not go around condemning him. He is an anointed one remember and the bible said you should touch them not....that includes slander. Just give what you can from the depth of ur heart with love and let God be the judge of us all.
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by sakaguchi(m): 11:59pm On Dec 01, 2013
peppy luv: But you stil can't compare a priest and a pastor amassing wealth cuz while the priest has no family to take care of and when he dies,whatever he owns belongs to the church but ur pastors have family responsibilities and other matterial needs to take care of!

Mind you op the parish priest is not the only signatory to the church account.the church councl excos are part of it.
As for tithe,its done in the catholic church but its never pronounced cuz the envelops and boxes are kept at the entrance of the church and maybe ur parishioners were not paying at all for the priest to start saying it.
As for the begging of foodstuff,well I don't know,depends on ur parish cuz in mine church of assumption asokoro, I hv never heard of money for feeding of the priest cuz parishioners give freely so may be yours is a poor parish or you parishioners are stingy and need to be begged to feed ur priest you know fully well isn't working.
For eg I served in a very remote village in nasarawa,the people were very poor farmers,a sunday's offering can be 500naira or less thou there was no priest but sometyms the priest who stays in the nxt local govt(which is 2hrs drive away)might come.
We,corpers had to write and beg for a priest so the missionary seminary had to start sending us seminarians, u won't believe these missionaries sleep in the church store! And there was no toilet!Imagine how embarasing it was for them going to the church chairman's house or corpers lodge to freshen up! I went back to my parish in abj,met some people and was able to erect a toilet in eweeks cuz every sunday I had to keep begging the parishioners to donate but they wudnt even corpers were nt helping matters. Even to donate and help feed these missionaries was a problem.So its such people that will go out and say the church begs too much!

Sister, the question I asked precipitated other points, but the question is simple.
Planting, harvest, feeding of the priest and tithing, are these traditions that is found everywhere or is it only flourishing in Nigeria?
Is it done like that in Rome?
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by sakaguchi(m): 12:10am On Dec 02, 2013
peppy luv: Seriously I don't wanna go hard on you but u making me mad @ u cuz u sounding silly! Are u saying all these for the protestants to praise u?
These men move from one station to another every four years,order from above and you claim to house them as if you built the house for that particular priest!
Or do you expect them to do their work walking on foot? Mind you most of the missionary priest especially the ones being sent to poor countries suffer terribly!
The church in Nigeria stil takes care of these parishes and priests in poor countries!

The whole offertory is not for the priest but the church and whatever the church council gives him is what he will take!and r type give 50naira for offering and come here spilling thrash!
Who told you the harvest money is for the priest?he doesn't even have signatory to the harvest account! Even the anglicans whose priests marry don't have access to their harvest money
Do u know the church donated over 100million to the phillipines and stil doing more,they are our brothers cuz just like mexico and brazil they are 80%catholics but the church didn't announce the donation but the pentecostal association that gave 10million was even airing theirs!meanwhl their pastors own jets worth billions!
Even our pope doesn't own a jet and is not as if the church can't afford it for him but ours is not a life of luxury but that doesn't mean they should live wretched after sacrificing their life to God!

Pls its never too late to leave if you want to cuz I can see that ur protestant girlfrnd is now turning ur head or better still convert to islam where u will be paid for doing so.

Now this is a story that really touches the heart, I was touched reading that piece.
Let me speak of my Parish, if for anything, they are very generous, amidst all these excesses I said, people always participate, I do also but I have my reservations about it.
I just needed to know if the above I stated are internecine practice world wide: tithing, planting, harvest and bazaar?etc
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by POPEII: 12:43am On Dec 02, 2013
sakaguchi:
sorry but I don't believe this .
The whole come to the Altar and special prayers thingy , who are you deceiving?
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by POPEII: 12:44am On Dec 02, 2013
Demain_man: Yes, Nigeria Catholic churches are turning Pentecostal. Maybe it is this 'If you can beat them join them thingy'
there's is you just don't pay . All Catholic churches receive tithes from people it just not enforced or compulsory, I mean the sermons and teachings do not revolve around tithes
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by POPEII: 12:47am On Dec 02, 2013
Amen .
peppy luv: Seriously I don't wanna go hard on you but u making me mad @ u cuz u sounding silly! Are u saying all these for the protestants to praise u?

Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by tobechi20(m): 1:20am On Dec 02, 2013
This story is a lie
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by POPEII: 1:22am On Dec 02, 2013
tobechi20: This story is a lie
his story is too fishy
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by sakaguchi(m): 5:45am On Dec 02, 2013
POPE II: sorry but I don't believe this .
The whole come to the Altar and special prayers thingy , who are you deceiving?
And then the ultimate question is why would I lie? What do I stand to gain by lying?
Even is school, when they pay their tithe, the priest pray on them. Yesterdays mass was different because the priest quoted malachi 3:8 trying to justify the act and he went on as far as saying that next sunday and subsequent sundays will also be tithe sundays so that those of us who were not too convince before his tithe sermon or have not collected salaries then will pay up.

However let me chip in one point here which I didn't earlier, this said priest is not our parish priest, he said he was a class mate of our parish priest back in the days and he came to visit us, he'll probably spend 2/3 sundays with us. But then again, either way, he is a priest.
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by sakaguchi(m): 5:47am On Dec 02, 2013
POPE II: there's is you just don't pay . All Catholic churches receive tithes from people it just not enforced or compulsory, I mean the sermons and teachings do not revolve around tithes

The question is, during last sunday of the month mass, do they ask for people with their tithe to come forward, if they do, is it also done in Rome like that? Simple question.
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by sakaguchi(m): 5:48am On Dec 02, 2013
tobechi20: This story is a lie
you are entitled to your opinion brother, I believe the burden of proof is now on you to show the falsity in the story.
Re: Is The Catholic Church Turning Pentecostal? by Nobody: 6:35am On Dec 02, 2013
Seriously I don't wanna go hard on you but u making me mad @ u cuz u sounding silly! Are u saying all these for the protestants to praise u?

sakaguchi:

That to me is enough.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Churches And Their Individual Madness Part 2: RCCG!! / MIDNIGHT Prayer-help Needed / We Laid The Foundation For Boko Haram –Isa El Buba [pic]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.