Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,871 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:08 PM

Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years (3981 Views)

''Wicked Village Wait For Me, I'm Coming'' (Photo) / How Come Jesus Had No Black Disciples?? / But Why Did Jesus Had To Die For Us...god Could Have Just Forgiven Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by jdilight(m): 10:53am On Dec 02, 2013
Jesus began his ministry after 30 long years.

Why did he had to wait that long before going to do the job he came to earth to do in the first place.

30 year no be beans, it is a long time to wait. What do you think?
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by vickyO(f): 11:07am On Dec 02, 2013
jdilight: Jesus began his ministry after 30 long years.

Why did he had to wait that long before going to do the job he came to earth to do in the first place.

His ways are not our ways. That was His plan, we shouldn't question it.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by lanaVello1(m): 11:14am On Dec 02, 2013
I find it hilariously surprising wen mortals question decisions of supreme beings btw i fink this is as gud as wonderin y it'd to b peter dat denied jesus...and some other craay questions..

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by jdilight(m): 3:50pm On Dec 02, 2013
lana_Vello: I find it hilariously surprising wen mortals question decisions of supreme beings btw i fink this is as gud as wonderin y it'd to b peter dat denied jesus...and some other craay questions..

When l read your post, honestly l couldn't help but laugh.

The only supreme decision here all rested on Jesus decision to start or to wait not from The Father as my mind is telling me your post is pointing.
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by jdilight(m): 3:52pm On Dec 02, 2013
vickyO:
His ways are not our ways. That was His plan, we shouldn't question it.

Sorry, do you mean the way of God or the way of Jesus.

please shade more light.
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by BabaGnoni: 4:45pm On Dec 02, 2013
jdilight:

Jesus began his ministry after 30 long years.

@jdilight

He was adhering to the Jewish age of full maturity

It had to be 30 years, as that is the age at which one becomes liable for service
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by jdilight(m): 5:14pm On Dec 02, 2013
BabaGnoni:

@jdilight

He was adhering to the Jewish age of full maturity

It had to be 30 years, as that is the age at which one becomes liable for service

Why did he obey this law that limited man and disregard other jewish laws that also limited man.
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by lanaVello1(m): 7:42pm On Dec 02, 2013
jdilight:

Why did he obey this law that limited man and disregard other jewish laws that also limited man.
what do you wanna hear? do you want an ans to the question or you'd jez kip playing devil's advocate? -_-
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by jdilight(m): 9:07pm On Dec 02, 2013
lana_Vello:
what do you wanna hear? do you want an ans to the question or you'd jez kip playing devil's advocate? -_-

an ans that satisfys my curiosity
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by Kei144(m): 6:18am On Dec 03, 2013
Jesus was born like every normal baby. He grew up like every human being; not like God. His difference though is that He was not subjected to some normal problems that other human beings face, such as sicknesses and accidents, because He is not of the lineage of the fallen Adam; He was a new human seed, meant to form a new human race--a new Adam. Being an Adam, He knew no sin until God allowed Him to be tested.

He. 5:7 During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.
He. 5:8 Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered

Jesus' growing up was not easy though. The evil forces knew who He was and what He was in the world to do. They never missed any opportunity allowed them by God to make life hard for Him. Do you know how I learned this? God had made it clear to me that I would become a great evangelist with worldwide renown. So, I began to bask in expectation of soon glorious future. But what I saw next was endless hellish experience. Around 2 am in a night in October, 2004, I was awake on my bed pondering the hell that my life had become. Where is God in all this? Then the content of Hebrews 5:7-8, quoted above, filled my mind, and it came with a new understanding that I never had before about the life of Jesus Christ before He began His earthly ministry.

Mt. 3:5 People went out to him from Jerusalem and all Judea and the whole region of the Jordan.
Mt. 3:6 Confessing their sins, they were baptised by him in the Jordan River.

Mt. 3:13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptised by John.
Mt. 3:14 But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptised by you, and do you come to me?”
Mt. 3:15 Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfil all righteousness.” Then John consented.
Mt. 3:16 As soon as Jesus was baptised, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of
God descending like a dove and lighting on him.
Mt. 3:17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

Jesus went to John the Baptist for baptism, just like every other godly person did in those days. It was in the process of the baptism that God begat Him as His Son. The Jews at that time had this ceremony of adoption of sons when their sons reach some right age, during which fathers give their sons their inheritance. God did same for His human Son.

Mt. 4:1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil.

It was after God had adopted Jesus as His son that the devil was now allowed to tempt Him, just as the first Adam was tempted. He performed quite unlike the first Adam. Heb 5:8 suggests that Jesus' performance in the face of temptation is due to His prior exposure to suffering. I myself am a witness to this fact. If Adam and Eve had known suffering, instead of only rosy life in the Garden of Eden, they probably would never have eaten the forbidden fruit. I pity today's Christians who want to make heaven, but who also have eye on material prosperity; the two can never go together (Mt 19:23)
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by jdilight(m): 6:55pm On Dec 04, 2013
Kei144: Jesus was born like every normal baby. He grew up like every human being; not like God. His difference though is that He was not subjected to some normal problems that other human beings face, such as sicknesses and accidents, because He is not of the lineage of the fallen Adam; He was a new human seed, meant to form a new human race--a new Adam. Being an Adam, He knew no sin until God allowed Him to be tested.

He. 5:7 During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.
He. 5:8 Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered

Jesus' growing up was not easy though. The evil forces knew who He was and what He was in the world to do. They never missed any opportunity allowed them by God to make life hard for Him. Do you know how I learned this? God had made it clear to me that I would become a great evangelist with worldwide renown. So, I began to bask in expectation of soon glorious future. But what I saw next was endless hellish experience. Around 2 am in a night in October, 2004, I was awake on my bed pondering the hell that my life had become. Where is God in all this? Then the content of Hebrews 5:7-8, quoted above, filled my mind, and it came with a new understanding that I never had before about the life of Jesus Christ before He began His earthly ministry.

Mt. 3:5 People went out to him from Jerusalem and all Judea and the whole region of the Jordan.
Mt. 3:6 Confessing their sins, they were baptised by him in the Jordan River.

Mt. 3:13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptised by John.
Mt. 3:14 But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptised by you, and do you come to me?”
Mt. 3:15 Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfil all righteousness.” Then John consented.
Mt. 3:16 As soon as Jesus was baptised, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of
God descending like a dove and lighting on him.
Mt. 3:17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

Jesus went to John the Baptist for baptism, just like every other godly person did in those days. It was in the process of the baptism that God begat Him as His Son. The Jews at that time had this ceremony of adoption of sons when their sons reach some right age, during which fathers give their sons their inheritance. God did same for His human Son.

Mt. 4:1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil.

It was after God had adopted Jesus as His son that the devil was now allowed to tempt Him, just as the first Adam was tempted. He performed quite unlike the first Adam. Heb 5:8 suggests that Jesus' performance in the face of temptation is due to His prior exposure to suffering. I myself am a witness to this fact. If Adam and Eve had known suffering, instead of only rosy life in the Garden of Eden, they probably would never have eaten the forbidden fruit. I pity today's Christians who want to make heaven, but who also have eye on material prosperity; the two can never go together (Mt 19:23)

Are you saying jesus was not tempted as every one else till he was baptized?
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by Kei144(m): 7:50pm On Dec 04, 2013
jdilight:

Are you saying jesus was not tempted as every one else till he was baptized?

Yes, He was not tempted. Until He received the Holy Spirit, God gave His angels charge over Him, to protect Him. But once He received the Holy Spirit, Satan was allowed to go near Him.
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by jdilight(m): 8:07pm On Dec 04, 2013
Kei144:

Yes, He was not tempted. Until He received the Holy Spirit, God gave His angels charge over Him, to protect Him. But once He received the Holy Spirit, Satan was allowed to go near Him.

This is implying that jesus never did anything as a child or a youth because every action has two possibilities with is temptation.

jesus had a normal youth life but his documented life started at his ministry.

jesus was tempted as he was at home.

wat do u think of the cajoling his brothers gave him telling him to go the wedding, nd he told them his time has not come but their own time is always available.
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by Kei144(m): 9:22pm On Dec 04, 2013
jdilight:

This is implying that jesus never did anything as a child or a youth because every action has two possibilities with is temptation.

jesus had a normal youth life but his documented life started at his ministry.

jesus was tempted as he was at home.

wat do u think of the cajoling his brothers gave him telling him to go the wedding, nd he told them his time has not come but their own time is always available.

If you have experienced living under the control or restraint of the Spirit, even though present human experience is not perfect, you will be able to extrapolate and imagine how it will be in a perfect situation. For example, recently I started praying Col 3:8-10 into my life before the breaking of each day. So, I go like this, "In the mighty name of the Lord Jesus Christ, I put off the old self from me by the Spirit of God. I put off from me sexual immorality, impurity, fits of rage (anger), pride, debauchery and the like by divine power through the Holy spirit. In the mighty name of Jesus Christ, I put on me the new self created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness, by the Spirit of God. I put on me love, peace, joy, kindness, meekness, gentleness, goodness, self control, patience, perseverance and the like by the Spirit of God." After this seemingly just speaking words, as I go through the day, I actually see myself operating in holy mood all the time. If me that has been used to sin could get the Spirit to do this in me, imagine what it is like for a person that is not used to sin and who does not need to pray for the Spirit to uphold him.
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by Image123(m): 2:23am On Dec 05, 2013

Jesus was busy pleasing God for 30 years na. Is that not what He expects from us? He wants us to follow Him as our example in the daily things we face in life which He also faced. is not expecting every follower to walk on water or feed 5000 with five loaves or raise the dead or any such thing. he expects us all to live as He lived and walk as He walked so that the Father can say of us "I am well pleased".
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by Nobody: 3:30am On Dec 05, 2013
@op

God has a timetable for him in the hebrew scriptures. It was not time for him to be known as the messiah and John the baptist hasnt sone his part as the prophesy shows. So God does not over step His timetable. But he still showed that he had spiritual knowledge before his ministry.
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by Joagbaje(m): 5:21am On Dec 05, 2013

It was not a coincidence that Jesus entered onto ministry at age thirty. The reason was that 30 years was the age of adoption into maturity and responsibility in the the bible days.

For example Levites enter priestly office at the age of 30. Joseph became ruler in Egypt at age 30,David became king at age 30 ,

Genesis 41:46
And Joseph was thirty years old when he stood before Pharaoh king of Egypt. And Joseph went out from the presence of Pharaoh, and went throughout all the land of Egypt.

1 Chronicles 23:3
Now the Levites were numbered from the age of thirty years and upward:and their number by their polls, man by man, was thirty and eight thousand.

2 Samuel 5:4
David was thirty years old when he began to reign, and he reigned forty years.
priest enter into office at age 30 . And Jesus began his ministry at age 30 is not a coincidence

Luke 3:23
And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by jdilight(m): 5:47pm On Dec 05, 2013
Kei144:

If you have experienced living under the control or restraint of the Spirit, even though present human experience is not perfect, you will be able to extrapolate and imagine how it will be in a perfect situation. For example, recently I started praying Col 3:8-10 into my life before the breaking of each day. So, I go like this, "In the mighty name of the Lord Jesus Christ, I put off the old self from me by the Spirit of God. I put off from me sexual immorality, impurity, fits of rage (anger), pride, debauchery and the like by divine power through the Holy spirit. In the mighty name of Jesus Christ, I put on me the new self created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness, by the Spirit of God. I put on me love, peace, joy, kindness, meekness, gentleness, goodness, self control, patience, perseverance and the like by the Spirit of God." After this seemingly just speaking words, as I go through the day, I actually see myself operating in holy mood all the time. If me that has been used to sin could get the Spirit to do this in me, imagine what it is like for a person that is not used to sin and who does not need to pray for the Spirit to uphold him.

This doesn't mean you don't meet temptation, but that your better equipped to overcome them.

Jesus wasn't much different from any of us until after baptism.
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by jdilight(m): 5:51pm On Dec 05, 2013
Image123:

Jesus was busy pleasing God for 30 years na. Is that not what He expects from us? He wants us to follow Him as our example in the daily things we face in life which He also faced. is not expecting every follower to walk on water or feed 5000 with five loaves or raise the dead or any such thing. he expects us all to live as He lived and walk as He walked so that the Father can say of us "I am well pleased".

Pleasing God is the first step and walking on water or feeding the multitude is part of the big picture too.

lf l may ask, How do you please God?
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by jdilight(m): 5:54pm On Dec 05, 2013
JMAN05: @op

God has a timetable for him in the hebrew scriptures. It was not time for him to be known as the messiah and John the baptist hasnt sone his part as the prophesy shows. So God does not over step His timetable. But he still showed that he had spiritual knowledge before his ministry.

Bros talking about time, l don't see Gods time as a future thing but the present. God is not in the future but in the present as shown by jesus teachings.

Gods time is always NOW

not tomorrow or next.
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by jdilight(m): 6:00pm On Dec 05, 2013
Joagbaje:

It was not a coincidence that Jesus entered onto ministry at age thirty. The reason was that 30 years was the age of adoption into maturity and responsibility in the the bible days.

For example Levites enter priestly office at the age of 30. Joseph became ruler in Egypt at age 30,David became king at age 30 ,

Genesis 41:46
And Joseph was thirty years old when he stood before Pharaoh king of Egypt. And Joseph went out from the presence of Pharaoh, and went throughout all the land of Egypt.

1 Chronicles 23:3
Now the Levites were numbered from the age of thirty years and upward:and their number by their polls, man by man, was thirty and eight thousand.

2 Samuel 5:4
David was thirty years old when he began to reign, and he reigned forty years.
priest enter into office at age 30 . And Jesus began his ministry at age 30 is not a coincidence

Luke 3:23
And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,

Why must they wait till age 30.

what were dey doing before stepping into office at age 30.

what is synonymous with age 30
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by Joagbaje(m): 11:04pm On Dec 05, 2013
jdilight:

Why must they wait till age 30.

what were dey doing before stepping into office at age 30.

what is synonymous with age 30

I don't know why you're going round and round over this ?. After receiving several answer . It's not about Jesus waiting its about God granting enablement . You are not given license to drive until you're 18. You need to mature . God did grant Jesus ability to minister until he matures . According to that dispensation. Without the anointing there's no enablement . The enablement came at age 30.
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by Image123(m): 1:50am On Dec 06, 2013
jdilight:

Pleasing God is the first step and walking on water or feeding the multitude is part of the big picture too.

lf l may ask, How do you please God?

Pleasing God is what is required. Without faith, it is impossible to please God. Jesus pleased God in His life all through out for 30 and more years. This is the example that every disciple/believer is expected to follow. Not every believer will do the ministry or miracles Jesus did. Not many will turn water into wine or walk on water. But we can all please God in our corners. Jesus did not wait doing nothing for 30 years. He was busied pleasing God, and before He did any miracle, He had the testimony that He pleased God. Miracles and wonders are not exactly signs or benchmark of pleasing God. In fact, Jesus said,
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Many people are doing miraculous things today without pleasing God. Pleasing God is rooted in faith in Him and obedience to Him in all things and at all times. Pleasing Him at work and at home, in your speech and in your thoughts/thinking, in your plans and ambitions, in front of everybody and in the front of nobody.
Re: Why Did Jesus Had To Wait For 30 Long Years by Nobody: 6:28am On Dec 06, 2013
jdilight:

Bros talking about time, l don't see Gods time as a future thing but the present. God is not in the future but in the present as shown by jesus teachings.

Gods time is always NOW

not tomorrow or next.

Ok, start seeing it now as a future thing especially with topic of this nature. Jesus cannot start his ministry before John comes to act as a forerunner.

(1) (Reply)

It's Here Again Christ Apostolic Church Youth Conference At Ikeji Ara Ikeji / No True Christian Will Marry A Muslim. / Why Should We Number Our Days?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.